Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

I love the complaining about an "unsolicited review".

How DARE you review this product without my consent.. I have to give consent it says here in blacks law dictionary you can't just buy a product and tell people how you feel about it especially if it's related to commerce.

I also enjoy how the person keeps using the word "Concept"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This is peak small business owner brain, he could have just said "I tune by ear" like nearly every other boutique high end company that makes stuff that measures badly but this guy just can not take the L and now it's definitely harming his company's reputation like someone who owns a coffee shop going viral for stalking a customer who complained about a stale croissant.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

Erin published new measurements, found the same thing, Tekton guy seems to be taking it well

Reeeaaal big Derek Smart energy from this guy

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

njsykora posted:

I love the complaining about an "unsolicited review".

I'm going to make the wild guess that most reviews in the audiophile space are solicited

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Depends on the outlet, I wager.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ASR really shook a lot of manufacturers when people started sending Amir genuinely high end stuff to test. A company like PS Audio has probably never had a negative review get any traction before because all their coverage is either from pros they send review samples to [and probably know personally in the industry] or owners who are eager to defend their purchase.

I don't love Amir's vibe [the DAC tiers are a joke, the whole "ESS hump" thing] but he's consistent and he knows what he's talking about.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
guy mad about 2 others guys dared to use bleeding edge speaker testers and followed precise testing instructions directly from klippel

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Absolute Sound published a video on Synergistic Research's fuses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5rvipm9YM

Michael Fremer himself decided to hop into the comments section to fight back against people refuting the claims that fuses can really have an impact on sound quality, in a very Trumpian voice:

quote:

have you ever sat down and compared fuses to hear if there might possibly be a sonic difference that your knowledge base does not account for but that you are sure you heard? That perhaps could be "blind tested"? That's usually how things are discovered--by observations- closed minds aren't interested...

[...]

I blind tested circuit breakers with large fuses and had the electrical swap between them without letting me know which was which of course and I got 100% correct identifications. didn't do 100 swaps but I heard the same thing each time and knew instantly which was which....

[...]

I'm not averse to A/B testing and I've done it and done very well at the Harman testing facilities. I've done a blind test of a fuse verses a circuit breaker and got 100% correct identifications.

[...]

You are the only on VERY UPSET, putting it in caps. I have done many blind tests and do very well thank you. I did a series at Harman's speaker testing facility in Northridge some years ago and did extremely well. I'm sure far better than you'd do.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
"there seemed to be sort of more meat on the bones"
"voice and the piano gained a liquid-like quality"
"drums had more of a feeling of being one with the acoustic space"

the list of stupid buzzwords is evergrowing

it would be kinda fun (but too much effort) to buy few boxes of 3 cent fuses from ali express, slap stickers on them that say like "euphonic elite" or some garbage, make a basic website with some typical audiophile branding, and send this idiot the $100 version of each and watch him foam about it

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hey, I have to regretfully eat my words of mockery on one product:

The stupid metal puck that you put on a speaker to reduce who knows what, it made a huge difference.

Once I get to the office I'll figure it the real names for this poo poo

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

dc3k posted:

Don't forget the "inky blackness" and "PRaT"

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

spookygonk posted:

"inky blackness"

the hell does that even mean

"My quantum-treated pearwood power switch really brought out the inky black silence when I turned it to the 'OFF' position"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What Hifi loves using "rhythm" and "organization" in their reviews like there's audio gear that can make the different instrument sounds come out at the wrong speed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

qirex posted:

What Hifi loves using "rhythm" and "organization" in their reviews like there's audio gear that can make the different instrument sounds come out at the wrong speed.

They're just prepping their test suite for when they start reviewing all those "high end" cassette players that've come out lately.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The stupid metal puck that you put on a speaker to reduce who knows what, it made a huge difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOSaC9pYtk

Here's the idea - also done with a solid metal puck. On small speakers, in a small room, that stupid lovely little weight changed the whole stage and I hate it for working.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Wait, you put one ON the speaker? Because uhh that wouldn’t do poo poo, but putting the speaker on them could potentially make a difference. But also I doubt those IsoAcoustic ones are any better than a set of cheap rubber feet.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I can think of that's remotely congruent with reality is that the cabinet of the speaker isn't braced sufficiently internally, and maybe the puck is dampening out some sympathetic vibrations or harmonics or something

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
In the rare case that audiophile equipment actually makes a noticeable difference to you and not just your suite of test equipment, and doesn’t cost you a lot of money, then cool.

These fuses though, that’s the ticket. Definitely not some old Bussman fuses with a new label on it. I look forward to the clear ones with the visible element inside to have goofy shapes and colors, saying it delays the electrons long enough to let your DAC line up properly or some poo poo.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

Godzilla07 posted:

Michael Fremer himself decided to hop into the comments section to fight back against people refuting the claims that fuses can really have an impact on sound quality, in a very Trumpian voice:

quote:

That's usually how things are discovered--by observations- closed minds aren't interested...

Dude's talking about an electrical component like he's a zoologist identifying a new species of deep sea fish. I wonder what he thinks goes on in an electrical engineering lab all day.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Search for sorbothane and you'll find a ton of these really cheap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

raccoon.bmp posted:

Dude's talking about an electrical component like he's a zoologist identifying a new species of deep sea fish. I wonder what he thinks goes on in an electrical engineering lab all day.
It's the audiophile quantum state of being both vastly knowledgeable and also easily surprised by dumb garbage that clearly does nothing.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

raccoon.bmp posted:

Sweetie, that's a cryptozoologist.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dc3k posted:

it would be kinda fun (but too much effort) to buy few boxes of 3 cent fuses from ali express, slap stickers on them that say like "euphonic elite" or some garbage, make a basic website with some typical audiophile branding, and send this idiot the $100 version of each and watch him foam about it

one of the funny audiophile things i heard was a chinese guy who went to a chinese audiophile show and sneakily played 128kbps MP3s and everybody there was still "wow this sounds awesome"

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zeos is still the only one I’ve ever seen go to an audio show and walk out of a room whispering “that sounded terrible.”