Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

There's a sucker born every minute!

This is the refresh of the Ridicule Audiophiles thread, now with a less-mean title.

Hobbies are fun, but collecting audio gear can mean that you mistake the journey for the destination, or the other way around I'm no philosophy major. Instead of accepting that audio tech has largely left the limits of human perception in the rear-view mirror, the hardcore audiophile sometimes finds a lack of peace in what they own. "Surely," they think "there must be something, some ridiculous amount of money I can throw at the perceived hole in my life where fulfillment should be. There must be something I can buy to squeeze an imperceptibly small amount of perfection out of my speakers/headphones!"

There isn't. And don't call me Shirley.

Seeing a business opportunity, those with... flexible... ethics have marketed snake oil in technologic form. These range from the "plausible-sounding frivolities" to "utter bullshit." This is the place for all of it. Post all of your kilobuck cables, your brilliant pebbles, and jewel-encrusted interconnects. Post all your MQA defenses and arguments about headphones that cost more than a car. This is the place to revel in foolishness!

What to post in this thread:

If you run across absolutely silly products that have no business costing more than a nickel, post it here for people to slap their knees at. If you see some swindler hawking snake oil and you'd like to understand HOW it's snake oil, post here too. This thread is for fun.

What not to post in this thread:
Honest questions about what products you should buy don't belong here. Anyone answering without linking them to the appropriate threads or OP also don't belong here. This is the Merde Menagerie, the Audiophoolery Auditorium, the Bullcrap Coliseum — we post here to laugh, not to be kind to people and validate their trust in us as unbiased community members hoping to steer people away from this! (For real, though, direct them to the right threads. It'll be infinitely more helpful to them and faster too. Also post in those threads too, it'll help keep this thread clean).

The reasoning for this is that buying advice is off-topic, even if being kind and helpful is the Canadian Way™. Just redirect the wayward souls and help in the appropriate threads:
Headphones
Home audio
Quick audio questions
PC Speakers
Turntables/Vinyl

While it's okay to mock products and marketing copy, try to not let yourself get personal with it. General subforum rules apply, and that includes being a jerk to fellow goons!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Frequent Audiophile misconceptions:

I need an amp!
Not unless you're buying headphones with a ridiculous power requirement.

These sound warmer than my old cables!
Those cables have something wrong with them. Or you. Your equipment isn't supposed to color the signal from point A to point B.

I need an expensive DAC and cables because jitter!
That's been a solved problem for a long time. No you do not.

[more to come, have errands to run]

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 16, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought a cable last week.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

the urge to give a joke 6er is immense

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The old thread had blacker lows and way less jitter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm sorry but I can't read this thread until page 20. It needs to be burnt in

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Mercury posted:

the urge to give a joke 6er is immense

I bought it to replace a cable that broke if that helps.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

oh, I was just aimin' for giggles, that's all- I don't think I have it in me to jokeprobe just yet

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm sorry but I can't read this thread until page 20. It needs to be burnt in

Personally I'm waiting for my new electrical outlet covers to arrive to make sure I get the best possible shitposting experience.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
You fool, you absolute fool, we cannot enjoy this thread until it's been run in for 200 hours and everyone knows the best way to do that is to put the new thread facing the old thread, reverse polarity on one thread, and allow simultaneous shitposting for at least 200 hours.

Enjoy your harsh sibilants and boomy mods mids, pleb

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I think transients are too harsh through my digital signal chain. I think I need a pair of 100 lb class A mono tube amps (sitting in a rats nest of cables and boxes on the floor on $300 spikes ofc) fed by a soviet tube-run preamp to modulate the sibilance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is anyone having issues with embeds sounding somewhat indistinct and lacking "shine"? Is there a way we could get Astral to install an SOTM SNH-10G audiophile-grade ethernet switch in the Something Awful Forums server room?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

New thread timed nicely with an updated version of Stereophile’s Recommended Components list, it comes complete with tier lists which for some reason audio nerds loving love.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

:wtc:

the article posted:

TechDAS Air Force Zero: $550,000 (as reviewed w/Tungsten platter); $500,000 w/Titanium platter
TechDAS founder Hideaki Nishikawa's ultimate analog statement, the Air Force Zero is limited to a production run of just 40 units. Weighing 725.5lb with its ultraheavy main subchassis assembly, it combines rebuilt, new-old-stock, high-torque Papst motors driving multiple massive platters with a customized air-bearing spindle and flywheel. LPs are held in place with a vacuum hold-down system. Using SAT and Graham tonearms and his reference phono cartridges from Lyra and X-quisite, MF found that the Zero "let through each cartridge's timbral and dynamic character while imparting its own unique and immediately recognizable weight, sledgehammer 'slam,' ultragenerous sustain and decay, and the blackest backgrounds I've heard a turntable produce...no other turntable, or none that I've yet reviewed, so effectively sinks unwanted and extraneous noise while passing the musical goods with effortless ease, often in the most subtle and nuanced ways." (Vol.44 No.9 WWW)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK but how about this $200 balloon you can put your gear on.

quote:

Ingenious, inexpensive, and effective air-bladder product that damps out floor and air-borne vibrations, MF said. WP agrees. Originally called Air Mass 1. (Vol.20 No.2)

Or this $2000 stand for a specific turntable.

quote:

Simple, affordable, effective isolation system for the VPI TNT that combines a static pneumatic isolation mount with mass loading. WP noted that "high frequencies seemed clearer, less smeared—harmonics leapt off strings and floated independent of the fundamental...Bass sounded more deep and taut, especially sustained notes or anything in the bottom two octaves of the piano." BD agrees, finding that the Isolation System lowers the TNT's (already low) background noise, resulting in subtle but noticeable improvements in image dimensionality, ambience, and inner detail. (Vol.20 No.7)

Or this summation of the whole hobby.

quote:

"In this one—and assuming every other sonic hiccough is attended to—they do help," though he refuses to speculate why.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What power conditioning do I need for the fonts to pop in this thread? On Mobile if that matters.

I already have a set of poo poo post crystala before you ask.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
As a joke, I scotch taped some gravel to this microphone that was buzzing in the conference room and it actually stopped buzzing.

Y'all, I think were were wrong.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Wrong kind of ground loop

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Whats the best shape of rock

Dont come in giving me any of this composition poo poo either I just wanna know shapes

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

As a joke, I scotch taped some gravel to this microphone that was buzzing in the conference room and it actually stopped buzzing.

Y'all, I think were were wrong.

Thanks but I'll wait until someone on ASR posts measurements of the gravel

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

My wife is upset that I bought another audio system for the bedroom and is threatening to move out. Any advice?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Whats the best shape of rock

Dont come in giving me any of this composition poo poo either I just wanna know shapes

One of those ones that's basically a scalene triangle from above but has a flat bottom, the kind you pick up randomly and keep on your desk because as humans we are naturally inclined to want to show people the cool rock we found.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

njsykora posted:

One of those ones that's basically a scalene triangle from above but has a flat bottom, the kind you pick up randomly and keep on your desk because as humans we are naturally inclined to want to show people the cool rock we found.

I gotta get me some more of those i just have these ugly ones that are flat on top but scalene triangles below

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Dick Bass posted:

My wife is upset that I bought another audio system for the bedroom and is threatening to move out. Any advice?

Have you tried charging her crystals?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dick Bass posted:

How many audio systems will you fit in the space she takes up?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

qirex posted:

New thread timed nicely with an updated version of Stereophile’s Recommended Components list, it comes complete with tier lists which for some reason audio nerds loving love.

quote:

AC Nexus Advanced Power Distribution & Ground Enhancement System: $20,000
Steve McCormack, once the proprietor of The Mod Squad, is the man who introduced the concept of accessory isolation feet—his Tiptoes were aluminum cones with flat tops and sharply pointed feet. Now he's brought to market this passive AC-power filter, whose Panzerholz enclosure contains two fist-sized silver-conductor capacitors from Duelund. The IEC AC inlet is a Bocchino Audio Marriner10 and the AC outlets are four Furutech Nano Crystal Formula duplexes. Four Cardas ground posts of solid copper are also provided; not provided is an incoming AC cord, though the AC Nexus's distributor will bundle it with a 6' EinKlein David cord for a total of $28,000. Thus equipped and used in MF's reference system, atop a Harmonic Resolution Systems isolation platform (SMc Audio suggests that the AC Nexus is sensitive to vibrations), the AC Nexus coaxed from MF's gear a welcome degree of serenity, "Along with a butter-textured sweetness of sound." But, as Mikey wrote, "overall, it was too smoothed-over for me, too romanticized." Replacing the EinKlein David cord with an AudioQuest Dragon resulted in a more "open" sound. (Vol.41 No.6)

fist sized capacitors

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

fist sized capacitors

Probably this size:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

fist sized capacitors

Gonna need a third one to filter out the bio-electrical noise of the human component. It will need to be relatively centrally located, but don't put it too close to your ears because that will result in over-smoothing of higher-order harmonics and rob the sound of "air"

$69,000 capacitive buttplugs is what I'm getting at here

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried listening to Sultans of Swing in this thread and the previous one had much warmer high end and more colorful bass.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've gotten better results from this thread by using a power cleaner on my wireless router. Try that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also seriously goldmine the last thread. I have read like the entire thing twice because audiophiles ftw.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I've gotten better results from this thread by using a power cleaner on my wireless router. Try that.

Wireless? You gotta run platinum plated cat 8 cable if you want any spark to the burns

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also seriously goldmine the last thread. I have read like the entire thing twice because audiophiles ftw.

When I get back from the mountain, I'll poke about and see how this can happen when I get to civilization

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BonHair posted:

Wireless? You gotta run platinum plated cat 8 cable if you want any spark to the burns

Dont worry I have a whole litter of cat cable

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Sound files played from platter hard disks sound warmer than from SSDs.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Sound files played from platter hard disks sound warmer than from SSDs.

Problem solved: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvme-ssd-for-audiophiles

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can tell it's for audiophiles because it has completely unnecessary capacitors on it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

qirex posted:

quote:

not provided is an incoming AC cord, though the AC Nexus's distributor will bundle it with a 6' EinKlein David cord for a total of $28,000

eight thousand dollars for a six foot cord

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

death cob for cutie posted:

eight thousand dollars for a six foot cord

Hey, some people just can't afford good sound.

There's nothing *technically wrong* with listening to music through gear with its power routed to it through unoptimized power cables. Just don't come complaining to me when your $785,000 audio solution system sounds like a clock radio from wal-mart because you wanted to save a few pennies.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

qirex posted:

Why is the website formatted so weirdly? :psyduck: