Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Stereophile is amateur poo poo compared to The Absolute Sound

(from their list of best music NAS/servers of 2023)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
A seven thousand five hundred dollar black box to make everything sound like T Pain.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

DarkSol posted:

Why is the website formatted so weirdly? :psyduck:

It sounds better that way. :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wait, what does it actually do (aside from nothing obviously)? Pitch correction without altering speed is not exactly simple stuff, and even then you'd need to know how much to correct, unless you just assume everything is in A440, which doesn't work for classical for dumb reasons and some classic rock for laziness reasons.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BonHair posted:

Wait, what does it actually do (aside from nothing obviously)? Pitch correction without altering speed is not exactly simple stuff, and even then you'd need to know how much to correct, unless you just assume everything is in A440, which doesn't work for classical for dumb reasons and some classic rock for laziness reasons.

Looking it up, seems like it does alter the speed, and just assumes everything is A440. You can't expect something fancy for a mere $7500

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Qwertycoatl posted:

Looking it up, seems like it does alter the speed, and just assumes everything is A440. You can't expect something fancy for a mere $7500

incredible

also, lmao at "auditioning" music

also also from their website:

quote:

• 2 TB full SSD storage on spring suspension system, with SATA noise filtering and SATA protocol tweaking for lower EMI.

ah, yes, isolate your solid state storage from ambient vibrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

That's incredible! And also, since it slows it down, that's technically reducing the amount of signal per second. Not to mention that you could get the same result by fiddling very slightly with your turntable. I'm a heathen streamer, but I think most of them have ways to slightly correct speed?

And let's not even mention that half the point of A432 is the timbre of the instruments, which would not be affected by slowing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

death cob for cutie posted:

also, lmao at "auditioning" music

I believe in this case they're referring to listening to bits of kit rather than music? You 'audition' a set of speakers etc...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best thing about that NAS is that the reviewer says the pitch adjustment sounds like poo poo but recommends the product anyway

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I actually bothered to read the review. The guy clearly doesn't understand computers, and the manufacturer strikes me as a grifter (since he knows something presumably). But I'm the sort of nerd who finds tunings interesting, and this guy also clearly doesn't get how they work either. He seems to think that all music is performed at A440, in accordance with ISO 16. This is very much not the case for classical music. And even if there are a few options, who knows what tuning their music is played in?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah but if you play your A432 music through the magic box it will be ~A420 :2bong:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I believe in this case they're referring to listening to bits of kit rather than music? You 'audition' a set of speakers etc...

There's a bit to unpack with the "auditioning music" statement.

Audiophiles do mean "audition music" in the literal sense because what they're doing is trying out different pieces of music to see which specific tracks make their stereo systems sound best, vs which tracks are simply too primitive and unrefined to be permitted to reach their delicate and sophisticated aural palates that are obviously better than everyone else’s and therefore deserve to be protected from poor mixes resulting in harsh sibilants, flat muddy mids, tubby bass, and lifeless transients only fit for commoners and livestock. The kind of music they listen to doesn't actually matter to them because, again, these people don't actually care about music. All that matters to them is the experience of hearing a highly expensive system they have convinced themselves produces "very fine" sound, no matter what that sound might be specifically.

As the saying goes, most people use gear to listen to music, but audiophiles use music to listen to gear.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 19, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
A weird server box is one thing but that's not why I come here. Give me a box of crystals or some kind of Floor Cube. What's the new stupid fad, thread

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Grumbles posted:

What's the new stupid fad, thread

Audiophile NAS, sorry this floor cube requires a bit of understanding to laugh at.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A432 is one of the best audiophile snake oil holes, lyndon larouche was a big proponent so you know it's good poo poo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A432 is one of the best audiophile snake oil holes, lyndon larouche was a big proponent so you know it's good poo poo

It’s a healing frequency and LaRouche wanted to heal a nation

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

quote:

What is it about electronic music that makes it impossible for some to stand still?

Why is it that country music makes some want to throw the CD out of the nearest window?

What is it about music made in the frequency of 432 Hz that makes us feel so relaxed?

In this post, we'll explore how this alternative tuning is related to our planet, how it almost became the standard pitch many years ago, why it's popular for healing, and the conspiracy theories behind its oppression.

https://www.binauralbeatsmeditation.com/432-hz-truth-behind-natures-frequency/

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
CIA locked up A432 in Guantanamo without a trial and the American people act like this is totally normal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The true secret to audio bliss is a system that can play 15-60hz real fuckin' loud.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Double post for terrible news: lossy DRM garbage codec MQA was in administration [British for bankruptcy] but got purchased by Lenbrook, owners of Bluesound, NAD and PSB

quote:

Lenbrook Corp., a diversified, privately-owned Canadian enterprise with activities in brand development, technology, and distribution in both residential and commercial audio and the communication sectors, has acquired the assets of MQA, a UK-based industry leader in high-resolution audio encoding.

This acquisition enriches Lenbrook’s intellectual property portfolio with an assortment of significant patents and introduces two prominent audio codecs – MQA and SCL6. This merger further solidifies Lenbrook’s commitment to excellence and innovation in the evolving landscape of audio technology.

“Lenbrook’s vision is of a thriving hi-fi industry where technologies that promote both consumer choice and the pursuit of the highest sound quality are deserving of investment and nurture,” states Gordon Simmonds, Chief Executive Officer of Lenbrook. “We view this acquisition as an opportunity to ensure the technologies developed by the scientists and engineers at MQA continue to serve the industry’s interests rather than be confined to any single brand or company.”

George Massenberg, Grammy winning producer and recording engineer, reacts saying “I’m so relieved that MQA and SCL6 will continue under Lenbrook. MQA’s technology, with its faithful rendering of detail, complexity, and sound stage, gave us the reason to go back into the recording studio and reverse a 20-year decline in the quality of audio delivery methods.”

Founded from the insights and support of record industry executives, recording artists, and audio engineering experts, MQA sought to provide creators with the means to efficiently preserve the detail and nuance of their works in high resolution recorded formats, which at the time pushed directly against the trend toward heavily compressed music.

“I’m delighted that MQA will continue in good hands with Lenbrook,” adds Morten Lindberg, Grammy-nominated Master Engineer at 2L. “For 2L, using MQA has allowed us to enhance the experience of our recordings, beyond the raw capture, with increased access to sonic details, transparency and lower listening fatigue.”

“MQA is the only technology that considers the entire audio signal chain, from studio to listening room, to assure consistent quality of reproduction. The patents and research that underlie MQA represent significant contributions to digital audio quality due to their focus on time domain issues that have not been well understood until recently,” explains Greg Stidsen, Chief Technology Officer of Lenbrook. “We’re determined to continue to develop our marketplace and encourage the possibilities these technologies can achieve.”

Lenbrook has established a position as a stable and well capitalized organization that takes a long-term view of investments and market development. MQA had amassed over 120 licensees and several content partnerships, so Lenbrook’s primary objective in this acquisition was to provide certainty for business and technical developments that were underway prior to MQA’s administration. As a result, Lenbrook retained a core group of engineers and developers and sales and marketing personnel including Andy Dowell, previously the Head of Licensing for MQA, who will continue to lead business development activities.

“As one of MQA’s most significant licensees and also the owner of the award winning BluOS high-res content platform, Lenbrook is well positioned to build on what was started,” reflects Dowell. “Its BluOS platform work has proven that the Lenbrook team understands it takes a certain amount of neutrality to be a licensor, but it can also take a customer view when it comes to the wants and needs from a product development standpoint.”

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

There's a bit to unpack with the "auditioning music" statement.

Audiophiles do mean "audition music" in the literal sense because what they're doing is trying out different pieces of music to see which specific tracks make their stereo systems sound best, vs which tracks are simply too primitive and unrefined to be permitted to reach their delicate and sophisticated aural palates that are obviously better than everyone else’s and therefore deserve to be protected from poor mixes resulting in harsh sibilants, flat muddy mids, tubby bass, and lifeless transients only fit for commoners and livestock. The kind of music they listen to doesn't actually matter to them because, again, these people don't actually care about music. All that matters to them is the experience of hearing a highly expensive system they have convinced themselves produces "very fine" sound, no matter what that sound might be specifically.

As the saying goes, most people use gear to listen to music, but audiophiles use music to listen to gear.

In practice, I have found that this means that audiophiles love to listen to the most boring and generic white people music of the 1950s to 1980s. Buy our $9000 box to make your smooth jazz elevator music sound like nothing you've ever heard before!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
well you have to be responsible with such high-end equipment, if you put some actual good poo poo through there you might die of sonic ecstasy or something

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I always wonder if these schmucks have opinions on concert halls, and instrument makers, and musicians, but then I remember that they don't generally give a poo poo about the music itself.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I like sine waves generally, maybe some triangle if I'm feeling spicy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The last thread has a baller post about this. Basically, the “audiophile genre” seems to be smooth vocal jazz with a female vocalist. It’s about chasing the “classy” image of having a woman entertain you. The other post was better written.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

stealie72 posted:

I always wonder if these schmucks have opinions on concert halls, and instrument makers, and musicians, but then I remember that they don't generally give a poo poo about the music itself.

I frequently wonder how much they know about how music is recorded. Breathlessly gushing over the accurate soundstage reproduction while the original artists were just plugged into the board and sitting wherever looked comfy. Or maybe in separate tracking rooms. Or even not in the studio together at all!

well why not posted:

The last thread has a baller post about this. Basically, the “audiophile genre” seems to be smooth vocal jazz with a female vocalist. It’s about chasing the “classy” image of having a woman entertain you. The other post was better written.

This is Steely Dan erasure

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
gently caress you, don’t diss the Dan

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I frequently wonder how much they know about how music is recorded. Breathlessly gushing over the accurate soundstage reproduction while the original artists were just plugged into the board and sitting wherever looked comfy. Or maybe in separate tracking rooms. Or even not in the studio together at all!

Isn’t there video from some documentary of Billie Eilish literally recording vocals in a hotel room on a bean bag?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Probably, she and Finneas (sp?) are pretty infamously literal bedroom producers

I've also read many times that most artists will just listen to the final mix on their phone and engineers will check their work on lovely car stereos. So if you want the true studio experience, buy some airpods and a 2010 Nissan Sentra lol

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

I do but I'm not a fuckin clown that shells out piles of :10bux: for huge cables. I've just got a reasonable setup for around $1000 all in, and I get pretty stoked when I find a record that is so well recorded and engineered that you can hear the reverberations in the concert hall or hear quieter counterpoint melodies or subtle flourishes from the drummer/bassist and poo poo that you never noticed on dogshit setups.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

well why not posted:

Spending six figures on a stereo to play Anita Baker.

Mederlock posted:

I've just got a reasonable setup for around $1000 all in
I don't think you get to be the target of this thread till you have spent that on a duplex outlet cover with magic JO crystals in it or whatever.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 25, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mederlock posted:

I do but I'm not a fuckin clown that shells out piles of :10bux: for huge cables. I've just got a reasonable setup for around $1000 all in, and I get pretty stoked when I find a record that is so well recorded and engineered that you can hear the reverberations in the concert hall or hear quieter counterpoint melodies or subtle flourishes from the drummer/bassist and poo poo that you never noticed on dogshit setups.

i don't like my music enough to get a pair of KH120 II even when i can easily afford it

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Probably, she and Finneas (sp?) are pretty infamously literal bedroom producers

I've also read many times that most artists will just listen to the final mix on their phone and engineers will check their work on lovely car stereos. So if you want the true studio experience, buy some airpods and a 2010 Nissan Sentra lol

If you're mastering a track, you want to hear how it's supposed to sound, but also how the typical use case sounds, which means car stereo, Bluetooth speakers and headphones. It makes sense to hear your work on both the studio monitors and the user gear to make sure it actually performs reasonably for most audiences.

Also with technology nowadays, it's common to just record guitars and keyboards as just the raw signal played to either a click or a dummy live recording and then apply effects in post and smush all the bits together. Vocals mostly just need a good mic and a room with low reverb, which incidentally could be a bedroom.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think I remember the Youtuber DMS at one point saying in a video if your studio didn't have a pair of Apple Earpods to check mixes on you're not doing your job properly.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

well why not posted:

One of the funnier rooms at an audio show I went to took this idea to an extreme level by having scented candles, and being lit only by candlelight. Later in the day I realized the scented candles were a good idea when I walked into the Andrew Jones MoFi room, and had to immediately exit because it smelled crazy in there.

The white female jazz vocalists that dealers love to use for demo music don't reveal anything useful about how a speaker can reproduce frequencies. All that exists in that genre is "detail."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once put on a not-particularly-high bitrate MP3 of "Nasty Ways" in a hifi shop because I wanted to see what sibilance sounded like on their speakers and the snares are way too hot on that track. The staff was not amused [but also the speakers were too bright]. They loved the long mix of Orbital's "The Box" I brought, though, it's my go-to new gear track because it has pretty much everything in it.

I've found a few acts I like from reading audio gear reviews, Anna von Hausswolff in particular. But yeah, most of it is dadrock/granddadrock, breathy female vocalists, some specific Mahler recording and occasionally Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I once put on a not-particularly-high bitrate MP3 of "Nasty Ways" in a hifi shop because I wanted to see what sibilance sounded like on their speakers and the snares are way too hot on that track. The staff was not amused [but also the speakers were too bright]. They loved the long mix of Orbital's "The Box" I brought, though, it's my go-to new gear track because it has pretty much everything in it.

I've found a few acts I like from reading audio gear reviews, Anna von Hausswolff in particular. But yeah, most of it is dadrock/granddadrock, breathy female vocalists, some specific Mahler recording and occasionally Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

This song is my new favourite track to demo gear on, it's produced really well, it's got lots going on across the frequency range, lots of little details and some diversity in style and mood within the track.

https://twrp.bandcamp.com/track/black-swan-feat-dan-avidan

Plus it gets the hifi shop staff looking over with confusion at first, and then they're usually digging it by the end.

E: switched to the Bandcamp as it sounds better without the YouTube compression and whatever

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 25, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

lol if you don’t test your transients and dynamic range with Death Grips, E40, and the Tron Legacy soundtrack

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I test with third-generation bootlegs of 1980s hardcore punk shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So that’s what I need to be doing with that CD of St. Anger I have somewhere.