Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GreatGreen posted:

He wasn’t even a true audiophile, he had the audacity to build his own equipment.

How can they possibly be the best sounding speakers in the world if they don’t even have a brand logo on them so you can know for sure you paid for the best?

Also, check out the photos of that stereo system in the article. Imagine losing your entire family over a stereo system that doesn’t even have cable lifters.

lol you fool

he had like five teenagers

that concrete slab that they poured?

let’s just say that that whole house is a supercharged JO crystal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I know that for most of these guys they may as well be listening to test tones, but I kept thinking "for all that money and effort, you could have seen all the world's best orchestras in all the best concert halls, and instead you got is a divorce and estranged children."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

stealie72 posted:

I know that for most of these guys they may as well be listening to test tones, but I kept thinking "for all that money and effort, you could have seen all the world's best orchestras in all the best concert halls, and instead you got is a divorce and estranged children."

lol imagine wanting to listen to the best orchestra in the world in a likely imperfectly treated room, not even mic'd and amplified through the most expensive equipment money can buy.

I'd much rather listen to them on a perfectly configured and tuned system where you can close your eyes and feel like you're right there listening to them in the room playing just for you.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mr. Mercury posted:

Friendly reminder to spend more on your family and less on stereo equipment

owned

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

qirex posted:

New thread timed nicely with an updated version of Stereophile’s Recommended Components list, it comes complete with tier lists which for some reason audio nerds loving love.

:catstare:

I went to AXPONA last year on mushrooms and told the folks shilling a jet-ski sized amp that it looked like a baby's coffin.

They disagreed and we're not impressed by my candor.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

Mr. Mercury posted:

Friendly reminder to spend more on your family and less on stereo equipment

Each of these tonearms cost $20k on their own :psyduck:

They require small air compressors installed outside of the room to be fed into the arms to do... something. This turntable is probably at or over $100k adding on the motors/platter/cartridges

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can see the pneumatic hoses. They're actuated with air pressure. Keeps pesky EMI away from your stylus.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:catstare:

I went to AXPONA last year on mushrooms and told the folks shilling a jet-ski sized amp that it looked like a baby's coffin.

They disagreed and we're not impressed by my candor.
^^^^^^^^^^
This is just the best post

I swear, I feel like that stereophile list has to be a joke… but I know I’m deluding myself

It’s all stupid, but
$1000’s on record cleaning solution
takes the cake

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Audiophile Snake Oil: I went to AXPONA last year on mushrooms and told the folks shilling a jet-ski sized amp that it looked like a baby's coffin

It loving has to be

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think that's too long but Audiophile Snake Oil: I went to AXPONA on mushrooms would still be pretty good

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
And I'll fuckin do it again.

It's like $35 bucks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I think that's too long but Audiophile Snake Oil: like a baby’s coffin would still be pretty good

ftfy

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

death cob for cutie posted:

The soundstage is dire, I reroute the wires
And slam down some jazz with my MPAGULA

Why do I hear this to Rob Zombie -Dragula?

The soundstage is dire
I RE route the wires
And SLAM down some jazz with my MPAGULA!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ThatOneGuy posted:

Why do I hear this to Rob Zombie -Dragula?

The soundstage is dire
I RE route the wires
And SLAM down some jazz with my MPAGULA!

because that’s the intended joke?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm partial to

Audiophile Snake Oil: they disagreed and were not impressed by my candor

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

raccoon.bmp posted:

Each of these tonearms cost $20k on their own :psyduck:

They require small air compressors installed outside of the room to be fed into the arms to do... something. This turntable is probably at or over $100k adding on the motors/platter/cartridges

A bit late, but they're using air bearings on the rotating arm, which is why it needs air. That's what that blue sleeve is, and it should allow the arm to rotate and slide along the shaft with extremely low friction. I'm actually pretty sure it's just an off-the-shelf component. I don't know enough about record players to know if has any practical benefits, but air bearings are legitimately cool tech and a pretty elegant way to get the combined rotary/linear motion. Not worth $20k, though: the bushing costs ~$350, and the shaft probably about the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOTWx69mghM

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm partial to

Audiophile Snake Oil: they disagreed and were not impressed by my candor

lol definitely this one

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is funny. For some reason Pioneer - the original, the best known, the most widely used by far digital DJ brand - has decided now is the time to rebrand itself into something that sounds like a Scientology cult.

https://twitter.com/pioneerdjglobal/status/1749704600595116282?s=46

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Apparently Pioneer DJ is a completely separate company from Pioneer Corporation since 2014, so it might be that they are losing the rights to use the Pioneer trademark ten years after the split.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s sad to see how few of the name brand companies you could rely on are nothing more than identities now, pushing out crap with no relation to the original company. At some point someone on here will probably own Atari, given everyone else has done by this point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it’s sad to see how few of the name brand companies you could rely on are nothing more than identities now, pushing out crap with no relation to the original company. At some point someone on here will probably own Atari, given everyone else has done by this point.

It's a source of constant interest to me to see how many old brands are still owned by something close to not a massive conglomerate. Though I was still surprised when I heard Sharp got bought by Foxconn back in 2015. Atari these days at least seems like they have their poo poo together enough to last 5 years without going bankrupt again. I think of the old Japanese electronics corps it's basically just Sony and Panasonic still standing after Toshiba got eaten by a private equity firm last year.

Then Creative Labs still exists for reasons I'm not even sure they understand, though Sim Wong Hoo died last year so it's probably on borrowed time.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

In many ways that marvelous little Aiyima amp I bought from China recently on the threads recommendation is a more authentic brand than the supposed “big names”’ that are just a logo for some mega corp

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah isn’t that Teac tape deck essentially the exact same thing as the made up AliX brands? I know the mechanism is going to be common across all, but I’m sure in that case the whole unit was. Definitely seen a whole bunch of examples like that, and people have to pay the premium for the name that now means nothing.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah like Technicolor are cable modems, and Polaroid is used for… whatever poo poo small electronics too. It’s sad.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You don’t really have the same thing in audio as you do in video - in that Sony is genuinely a brand you can trust in video because they make a vast swathe of the gear that professionals use, and have done for most of the TV mediums existence.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

F4rt5 posted:

Yeah like Technicolor are cable modems, and Polaroid is used for… whatever poo poo small electronics too. It’s sad.
Pfft, Polaroid is the leading brand of electronics purchased by grandmothers at non-chain drug stores. I will not stand idly by while you besmirch their name.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wasn't Pioneer DJ's stuff pretty well-regarded? More than their general electronics stuff these days, anyway, even if you were kind of paying for a brand name on an OEM Technics-like.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

It's a source of constant interest to me to see how many old brands are still owned by something close to not a massive conglomerate. Though I was still surprised when I heard Sharp got bought by Foxconn back in 2015. Atari these days at least seems like they have their poo poo together enough to last 5 years without going bankrupt again. I think of the old Japanese electronics corps it's basically just Sony and Panasonic still standing after Toshiba got eaten by a private equity firm last year.

In times like these it’s important that we continue to give Yamaha as much of our money and business as we can. Gotta keep rewarding them for keeping the fire burning in so many different arenas and doing it world-class when everybody else has either disappeared or withered away into badge engineering

F4rt5 posted:

stealie72 posted:

Pfft, Polaroid is the leading brand of electronics purchased by grandmothers at non-chain drug stores. I will not stand idly by while you besmirch their name.

At least the Impossible Project guys were able to bring the instant photo company back in some capacity and get ahold of the name. The new cameras they’ve brought out have been really nice too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wasn't Pioneer DJ's stuff pretty well-regarded? More than their general electronics stuff these days, anyway, even if you were kind of paying for a brand name on an OEM Technics-like.

Pioneer CDJs are more or less the industry standard. It’s what’s in most clubs and venues. Any DJ who plays out probably knows their way around their gear.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Behold, all the room treatment you need. The HFT from Synergistic Research, which are a bunch of tiny metal dots that you stick on your walls and even your speakers. You won't believe the veils that will be lifted when you stick these bad boys all over your listening room.

Positive Feedback:

quote:

Beyond the above, the overall results were quite startling. When my wife walked into the listening room after the process was finally completed, she made one of those quick jaw dropping expressions and sat down without a word. Nothing more was said. She just wanted to listen to the music without interruption. I understood.

Six Moons:

quote:

Peter had me remove my Stein Music harmonizers and magic stones from my listening room before beginning to place the HFT and FEQ devices, claiming that the two technologies were incompatible.

[...]

Peter began by placing the first pack of five HFT on the front wall behind the speakers just as outlined on the Synergistic Research website. The HFT devices are attached to the wall or other surfaces with the supplied Bostic Blu-Tack or equivalent. The most prominent and readily discernible effect was an expansion of the soundstage laterally and behind the speakers. Concomitant with this was a sense of more air within the soundstage. Peter proceeded to add two more five packs as described in the above link for Level II and III. The soundstage expanded out toward my listening seat and to the sides of the room, following the direction of the HFT placement.

Audiodrom:

quote:

It was with the HFT 2.0s that I literally spent two full days moving them on the walls by 0.5cm increments to all directions before they 'clicked'. But the moment they did, the listening became augmented reality and the soundstage accuracy became almost surreal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"this tweak is so amazing that your wife will finally understand" is my favorite audiophile sales technique

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I was curious what "Stein Music harmonizers and magic stones" were which turned up this pile of related horseshit: https://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0411/steinmusic_h2_harmonizers_magic_stones.htm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Audiophile Snake Oil: "this tweak is so amazing that your wife will finally understand"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Arivia posted:

I was curious what "Stein Music harmonizers and magic stones" were which turned up this pile of related horseshit: https://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0411/steinmusic_h2_harmonizers_magic_stones.htm

I feel like when the product is literally called Magic Stones, anyone who buys them deserves to lose their money

quote:

The PDF Steinmusic manual for the Harmonizers describes their function as "elongating the air molecules" – i.e. "charging" the air in the listening room in a manner that facilitates the transmission of musical energy through the room. It seems to be suggesting that this charging of the air molecules means that when the speaker output enters the listening room space it does not have to overcome the inertia of uncharged/un-elongated air in the room.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 25, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"this tweak is so amazing that your wife will finally understand" is my favorite audiophile sales technique

This guy is dense.. she sat there stared t the (presumably) $300 metal bits that he just stuck to the livingroom walls and was dumbfounded that she married the man. All she could do is sit down on the couch mouth agape pondering what the rest of her life looked like.

Edit after post.. Curiosity got the best of me. I looked LOL fuckin $300 jesus christ I"m in the wrong business.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The suggested Blu-Tack to mount the pebbles might have a (very) minor effect on the acoustics of the room. I doubt the pebbles do.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If you scroll down the page to the Stereo Times review, it basically says "they're small so my wife didn't get mad when I put them in the family room"

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Guys, we're missing the forest for the trees... We've stumbled on Crystal cult hippies but for your ears...

Time to bust out that old rock polishing toy and make millions.

My amethysts will keep your music humours aligned to musical magnetic North

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

quote:

It was with the HFT 2.0s that I literally spent two full days moving them on the walls by 0.5cm increments to all directions before they 'clicked'. But the moment they did, the listening became augmented reality and the soundstage accuracy became almost surreal.
Scarily close to the behavior that I was showing, just before a 28 day in-patient stay once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Guys, we're missing the forest for the trees... We've stumbled on Crystal cult hippies but for your ears...

Time to bust out that old rock polishing toy and make millions.

My amethysts will keep your music humours aligned to musical magnetic North

we’ve discussed this

nobody wants to make Goonemade Audio a thing