Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

There's already a goon audio company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wasn't Pioneer DJ's stuff pretty well-regarded? More than their general electronics stuff these days, anyway, even if you were kind of paying for a brand name on an OEM Technics-like.

As mentioned it's industry standard but in terms of actual innovation and such they've done gently caress all impressive for a long time and other companies such as Denon, Numark and Rane have been eating up their market in terms of the home gamer for a while now. Not only because these other companies have been doing some cool stuff but also because there's less of a brand name price mark up. Seeing as Pioneer can't exactly patent the idea of a CDJ/mixer or really how one works you don't need to buy a top of the line Pioneer setup in order to know how to use one if you ever get in a club.

They've also struggled with manufacturing, firmware, software... They seem to have had a bit of a falling from grace tbh.

The rebrand name is a bizarre one even if they've been forced to do so, the name choice sounds like the consultancy company just ran a word search on Internet terms but only on men's rights websites and picked the most popular ones...

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

IEM manufacturer announces a new flagship model and you will never guess the price

(Hint, you know it's bad when even the Head-Fi community is making GBS threads on you)

it's $8500

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you’d said it was Unique Melody I would’ve probably guessed that. Company has been shoving out overpriced turds held up by a cloud of defenders refusing to admit to buyers remorse for a while now.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

triple sulk posted:

IEM manufacturer announces a new flagship model and you will never guess the price

(Hint, you know it's bad when even the Head-Fi community is making GBS threads on you)

it's $8500

Hey now, don't forget that price includes an upgraded version of a $2,700 $3,700 cable with shielding for your earbuds.

I do genuinely enjoy them naming their earbuds after a piece by a guy who cut off his own ear though.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
he was just trying to enhance his soundstage

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

death cob for cutie posted:

he was just trying to enhance his soundstage

I mean teh best way to listen to music is sitting on the floor naked so your clothes don't get in the way and muffle the waves so removing an ear or 2 will reduce the vortex and remove delay timings for some frequencies.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Godzilla07 posted:

It was with the HFT 2.0s that I literally spent two full days moving them on the walls by 0.5cm increments to all directions before they 'clicked'. But the moment they did, the listening became augmented reality and the soundstage accuracy became almost surreal.

Wow, this technology sounds great! I don't really understand why this person didn't just use calibration and frequency sweeps to scientifically and objectively determine the proper alignment points for these metal dealies. Very strange!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wanted to spend 2 days away from the wife

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it’s sad to see how few of the name brand companies you could rely on are nothing more than identities now, pushing out crap with no relation to the original company. At some point someone on here will probably own Atari, given everyone else has done by this point.

Japanese brands are next to extinct in home audio outside of a few headphones for a long while now. I don't recall seeing even one plain jane bluetooth SBC speaker made by them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
goon project: we bought Pioneer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luxman still exists [and still looks like 80s/90s gear] but is firmly in the "stupid expensive audiophile stuff" category.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The gently caress, that looks like a store bought power strip. How is any of his gear going to sound good with that thing. Amateur hour over here.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
That's the pre-strip that runs the power supply to the power conditioner ionizer.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's the pre-strip that runs the power supply to the power conditioner ionizer.

lol if you use the lovely electricity that the power company gives you instead of buying an audiophile-grade generator which gives you perfectly balanced electricity

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Palladium posted:

Japanese brands are next to extinct in home audio outside of a few headphones for a long while now. I don't recall seeing even one plain jane bluetooth SBC speaker made by them.

What about yamaha

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Palladium posted:

Hitachi makes a very popular analog moan generator, if you’re into that kind of thing.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Arivia posted:

Hitachi makes a very popular analog moan generator, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Can even generate the fabled brown note if you are into that sort of thing

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Im curious about the Sybian offerings, they use a larger base and are rumored to be able to run female and male plugs. I read a review where a wife walked into the room, sat down, and preferred it over analog!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Qwertycoatl posted:

lol if you use the lovely electricity that the power company gives you instead of buying an audiophile-grade generator which gives you perfectly balanced electricity

This reminds me of that documentary about Japanese audiophiles a while back, where some Japanese guy had the city install an actual fully functional power line, big wooden pole and all, right in front of his house, so he could wire it directly to a single outlet in his listening room for his stereo, which would then be freed from the pollution of all those other electronically noisy devices in his house. His listening room was not treated at all by the way, it was entirely wooden with only like a tiny rug for his chair, and sounded like a tile bathroom.

Either way, I guess he didn’t realize he could have just bought a small isolation transformer to plug his stereo into from pretty much any hardware store, a gadget about the size of a shoe box, that you can just plug into any old outlet and accomplish the exact same thing as the dedicated power pole, but for only like $150 lol.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 30, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've always thought the audiophile distaste for room treatment was weird, I mean legit stuff not plastic gems you stick to the wall. It's ugly, expensive and complicated which ticks all the usual boxes. I guess because you can't do it properly without using a computer they hate it? If I ever have space for a listening room I'm totally getting it treated professionally.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It’s because room treatment is something even normies can actually hear. If something is actually perceptible to people outside the Special Big Boy Sounds Only My Golden Ears Can Hear Club, it’s not worth lowering one’s self to be bothered with.

edit: vvv that's the one!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 31, 2024

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah like the fun level of blasting poo poo out of a mid tier Sony mini hifi in a properly soundproofed room at 2am is way more valuable than listening in max res in your kid's old bedroom.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

I feel like when the product is literally called Magic Stones, anyone who buys them deserves to lose their money

quote:

The PDF Steinmusic manual for the Harmonizers describes their function as "elongating the air molecules" – i.e. "charging" the air in the listening room in a manner that facilitates the transmission of musical energy through the room. It seems to be suggesting that this charging of the air molecules means that when the speaker output enters the listening room space it does not have to overcome the inertia of uncharged/un-elongated air in the room.
Mods change my username to Elongated Air please.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Amazing

I love the giant $100k speakers shoved into a tiny room full of junk

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Imagine owning CD's as an "Audiophile"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GreatGreen posted:

This reminds me of that documentary about Japanese audiophiles a while back, where some Japanese guy had the city install an actual fully functional power line, big wooden pole and all, right in front of his house, so he could wire it directly to a single outlet in his listening room for his stereo, which would then be freed from the pollution of all those other electronically noisy devices in his house. His listening room was not treated at all by the way, it was entirely wooden with only like a tiny rug for his chair, and sounded like a tile bathroom.

Either way, I guess he didn’t realize he could have just bought a small isolation transformer to plug his stereo into from pretty much any hardware store, a gadget about the size of a shoe box, that you can just plug into any old outlet and accomplish the exact same thing as the dedicated power pole, but for only like $150 lol.

what's a separate power line gonna do to the inherent harmonics and noise in the AC? not a darn thing

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/big-performance-from-a-small-theater/

This dude spent $17,000 to condition his room by, surprise surprise, buying a bunch of poo poo that makes absolutely zero difference. This price includes $2,685 on three audiophile grade HDMI cables

Palladium posted:

There’s a section of this track where the camera is on Clapton, but you can see drummer Steve Gadd in the background softly playing the snare with brushes. With the old HDMI cables, the sound of the brushes was barely audible; with the ThunderBird 48, the sound of brushes on snare drum was suddenly vivid, alive, and detailed. The new HDMI cables resolved a wealth of low-level detail that was simply missing with the lower-quality HDMI cables. Nathan East’s acoustic bass took on greater clarity and definition, making it easier to hear pitches, and the starts and stops of each note were clarified rather than sounding indistinct and blurred. I could cite other examples, but you get the idea. I had no clue that HDMI cables could sound—or look—so different; the picture quality improved also, with more vivid colors, more apparent dynamic range, and a greater sense of three-dimensionality.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

spending several thousand on room treatment and marvelling at how much better the cables sound

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LaserPrinter69 posted:

This dude spent $17,000 to condition his room by, surprise surprise, buying a bunch of poo poo that makes absolutely zero difference. This price includes $2,685 on three audiophile grade HDMI cables

it ought to be criminal to make “can afford to build his own house with a home theater” money publishing poo poo like this

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The d in HDMI stands for drums so the better the cable the better you can hear drums.

Common misconception that it means digitalm

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
You've never seen such black metal.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

tater_salad posted:

The d in HDMI stands for drums so the better the cable the better you can hear drums.

Common misconception that it means digitalm

It actually means definition, so obviously a better quality cable means there's more definition in the music, basic logic.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ruflux posted:

It actually means definition, so obviously a better quality cable means there's more definition in the music, basic logic.

phoneposting mode now so i dig for the link later

there is a paper where the author modded a CD player to resemble an LP player, yet the audiophiles still went gaga over the warmth even though they listened to an actual CD

or how the MP3 source was overall more preferred over CD which was in turn preferred more over LP when done blind lol

Palladium fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 6, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

LaserPrinter69 posted:

These people really are completely insane. Just the most gullible marks alive

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Sourcing to my JDS Atom 2.....is it okay to use the headphone port from my laptop? I feel like I'm screwing something up somewhere. Even my Fiio M8 Pro I blast. Are mine ears bad? Seems like somethings wrong if I have this thing on full blast all the time.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 10, 2024

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I mean, your brain is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Sourcing to my JDS Atom 2.....is it okay to use the headphone port from my laptop? I feel like I'm screwing something up somewhere. Even my Fiio M8 Pro I blast. Are mine ears bad? Seems like somethings wrong if I have this thing on full blast all the time.

sourcing from the headphone out on the laptop to an external amp kinda defeats the purpose of an external amp, no?

In any case, you’re not sending a line-level signal to the JDS, but instead a signal from the laptop’s internal headphone amplifier. So if your volume is turned down on the computer then that quieter signal is what’s being sent to the JDS.

It’s no different from plugging an aux 3.5mm into a phone or iPod and connecting it to a sound output device like a car stereo: the volume control on the phone/iPod and the volume control in the car work in tandem but they are also separate levels.

Ideally you want to connect the JDS to some kind of USB DAC.