Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is not "dispersing your chi" a new-age way to say he's r/NoFap
https://twitter.com/reimanbledsoe/status/1730027694467784928

These days he's saying, uh, whatever the gently caress this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Most recent tweet,
https://twitter.com/reimanbledsoe/status/1753976456181379167
Survivor to Ayahusca to Self Discovery

so literally DMT the spirit moleculed himself to a new bizarro personality. And the new age shaman personality subscribes to twitter blue

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Raxivace posted:

https://twitter.com/reimanbledsoe/status/1730027694467784928

These days he's saying, uh, whatever the gently caress this is.

He's just saying what we're all thinking.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i am unsurprised that Spencer's brain shattered into a billion pieces and was glued back together with DMT but where did the name rieman come from? I can't track that at all

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It was his middle name I think, he explained that in his old AMA but it got obscured by all the anti-vaxx stuff

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Maybe it's what Chaos Kass called him when she was speaking Llama.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Todd had a rough time following his stint on Survivor China. He became an alcoholic, and even went on Dr Phil to get help (the clip is available online, but don't watch unless you want to spoiler the outcome of his season). When he was brought on stage, he was visibly wasted. He later revealed that the show manipulated him, he was brought on to seek help to become sober, but producers left bottles of liquor in his dressing room for him. He seems to be doing a lot better these days, he's married, and I believe makes custom Funko Pop figurines.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

and I believe makes custom Funko Pop figurines.

lol talk about underselling it. This owns.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nihonniboku posted:

Todd had a rough time following his stint on Survivor China. He became an alcoholic, and even went on Dr Phil to get help (the clip is available online, but don't watch unless you want to spoiler the outcome of his season). When he was brought on stage, he was visibly wasted. He later revealed that the show manipulated him, he was brought on to seek help to become sober, but producers left bottles of liquor in his dressing room for him. He seems to be doing a lot better these days, he's married, and I believe makes custom Funko Pop figurines.

Man this show's producers suck sometimes! :( He was only 21/22 on this season, essentially the exact right mental age for production to manipulate him that way. Pretty much the same thing happened to Spencer, same impressionable age, same promises. I read he came back on the show and was given a 'Spencer is SUCH a fuckup, he will do better' arc and that's messed up, he did not need that. It seems like 'they' or rather Jeff and casting pull this a lot and it's really not cool, these folks are young but they're not the Beatles.

I'm glad Todd's doing better now, thanks for sharing. That Funko pop is honestly expertly dressed, it's got so many references on it; wonderful that he included Carolyn crossing out the idol cage with her stick-X. With a professional paint job it could pass as a real one lol.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 14, 2024

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Man this show's producers suck sometimes! :( He was only 21/22 on this season, essentially the exact right mental age for production to manipulate him that way. Pretty much the same thing happened to Spencer, same impressionable age, same promises. I read he came back on the show and was given a 'Spencer is SUCH a fuckup, he will do better' arc and that's messed up, he did not need that. It seems like 'they' or rather Jeff and casting pull this a lot and it's really not cool, these folks are young but they're not the Beatles.

I'm glad Todd's doing better now, thanks for sharing. That Funko pop is honestly expertly dressed, it's got so many references on it; wonderful that he included Carolyn crossing out the idol cage with her stick-X. With a professional paint job it could pass as a real one lol.

Dr. Phil producers, not Survivor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Dr. Phil producers, not Survivor.

ohhh I see. Thanks for pointing out my misread. It is not great for this show that I did confuse the two though! I was assuming that Survivor production knew about this turn after the show but before the reunion but I guess not in this case. I'm sure that type of manipulation happens on reality TV in general.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

cock hero flux posted:

wait people liked spencer? i thought they just meant that it was fun watching him because he was an arrogant prick who spent an entire season stepping on rakes and getting outsmarted by a guy specifically chosen for the meathead tribe

I liked watching Kass dunk on him

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CJacobs posted:

ohhh I see. Thanks for pointing out my misread. It is not great for this show that I did confuse the two though! I was assuming that Survivor production knew about this turn after the show but before the reunion but I guess not in this case. I'm sure that type of manipulation happens on reality TV in general.

The Dr Phil appearance was a couple years after the show I think.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

People like Spencer in Cagayan because he's getting so owned all the time that you have to have some sympathy for him. Then as he goes on to reveal his "frustrated from getting owned" personality is his normal personality, he sucks.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Anyway China! Spectacular theme and challenges, a huge step up in character, and thereby quality, from the modular "throw some balls in a hole then walk on a balance beam and do a slide puzzle" stuff. Easily one of the best versions of the theme song they've ever done.

Some excellent characters at all stages of the boot. Even Chicken is pretty funny for what he is.

The kidnapping twist is....interesting. But like most of the twists like that, I'm not a huge fan for reasons that will become clear. But everything else is so strong the season overcomes that.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mp5 posted:

Anyway China! Spectacular theme and challenges, a huge step up in character, and thereby quality, from the modular "throw some balls in a hole then walk on a balance beam and do a slide puzzle" stuff. Easily one of the best versions of the theme song they've ever done.

Some excellent characters at all stages of the boot. Even Chicken is pretty funny for what he is.

The kidnapping twist is....interesting. But like most of the twists like that, I'm not a huge fan for reasons that will become clear. But everything else is so strong the season overcomes that.

imo the kidnapping twist is probably second for most twist-screwed vote out. That said, still a v. good season

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Well that begs the question of whether Africa, Vanuatu, or, like, Sean from 45 (lmao) are the first place swap-screw

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Quitters don't count so probably not Sean

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fiji is the first place swap-screw right? They went straight swap->challenge->TC without any time to strategise in between.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mp5 posted:

Well that begs the question of whether Africa, Vanuatu, or, like, Sean from 45 (lmao) are the first place swap-screw

I said twist screwed! I think that goes to Michelle Yi from Fiji.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well the twist screwed award goes to the 2 people that didn't get picked for a tribe and eliminated on day 1. Not sure if not getting picked counts as voting, but close enough...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Studio posted:

I said twist screwed! I think that goes to Michelle Yi from Fiji.

... is that a reference to the rumors about her at Ponderosa?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a reference to how she was eliminated by a twist...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's genuinely fun reading that I'm in the minority on a bunch of these twists, gimmicks, etc that I've brought up. Approaching it from the perspective of someone searching for exciting reality TV that isn't too unfair to the participants, twists on Survivor are about as good as I've found. But your reasons for being 'eh' on it are sound! I can totally imagine based on the discussion that Kidnapping can end up screwing a player over if they are sent back before TC or a challenge without time to talk with the original tribe. It is flawed as many of them have been, but it's cool watching the players navigate new gameplay spaces and possibilities. While silly, Jeff giving the Kidnapped party a gigantic bamboo shoot reading "OPEN ALONE" is one of the ways I like to see the show expand- there is a lot the player can do with that objective!

mp5 posted:

Agreed on the China theme being lit. This show's theme song with its modular motif is actual orchestral art I swear. For my whole rewatch I've been tying to figure out which iteration of the theme I recall from middle school TV night and it's China for sure with those singers.

Micronesia has gotta be my favorite rendition of the theme personally. Although Cook Islands has my favorite intro, with the cast portraits burning instead of being behind the fire like usual. Penner gets frickin torched lol.

The challenges in China are awesome, I really liked the one with the toppling coins that had to be cut free. A physically weak person being barely able to do it was surely part of its design, to inspire confidence in the team who is struggling when the player chops it, and create excitement for the viewer while the team is lagging. The puzzle and ensuing tower lugging really helped keep it an actual even challenge no matter the strength level of the tribe. Favorite challenges?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 15, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
HOLY poo poo IT JUST HAPPENED AS I WAS TYPING THE POST. WHAT A WAY TO TRIBE SWAP, LMAO. THAT IS A BAD WAY TO USE A GOOD MECHANIC I AGREE

AARON NOOO you were the cooler Dave :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Neither tribe wants to win immunity now because it means that they are safe and thus the other tribe votes out their friends. This is hilarious, thank you for foreshadowing this. The whole thing went screwy and I have no clue how it'll turn out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nihonniboku posted:

I hate that rumor. Who cares what a young adult does on their own time at a resort?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

CJacobs posted:

HOLY poo poo IT JUST HAPPENED AS I WAS TYPING THE POST. WHAT A WAY TO TRIBE SWAP, LMAO. THAT IS A BAD WAY TO USE A GOOD MECHANIC I AGREE

AARON NOOO you were the cooler Dave :negative:

It was in fact a bad mechanic the whole time :)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just remembered that we could have had Shane on Second Chances rather than Spencer :smith:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's not cool what casting has done to Shane. He was a lock for Heroes v. Villains until Russell happened, there was maybe something else along the way he detailed over RHAP, and then they pulled his chain hard enough for Second Chances that he's beyond the point of ever entertaining the possibility of playing again.

RIP driftwood Blackberry

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Traitors Gonna miss Queen Parvati as a traitor! What a loving a great show

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

*voice of guy who clicks spoilers without reading the warning in the survivor thread* we should have a traitors thread

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Studio posted:

*voice of guy who clicks spoilers without reading the warning in the survivor thread* we should have a traitors thread

Maybe I'll make one when I'm supposed to be working tomorrow

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Studio posted:

i asked if you wanted one like three times!!!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And yet you simply never made a thread anyways.

Seems like something a TRAITOR would do!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i asked if you wanted one like three times!!!

Yeah but I stopped using the bathroom before I posted 😔

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Traitors is fun if only for the 14-year-old plotline of Parvati v. Sandra. The one thing is I kind of wish I didn't know who the traitors are so as to play along with the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I made the Traitors thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054474

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Australian Survivor puts out a billion hours of content a week so I've been really struggling, but just finally caught up with the current season, and it is really really good. Of course there's a separate thread for that season but I just wanted to give it a shout out. Top tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Australian Survivor puts out a billion hours of content a week so I've been really struggling, but just finally caught up with the current season, and it is really really good. Of course there's a separate thread for that season but I just wanted to give it a shout out. Top tier.

Is there an easier way to watch it than that facebook group? If so, which is the best season to continue with? I tried season 1 of the reboot, and once Nick was out, I lost interest, and skipped forward to the finale.