Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Is there an easier way to watch it than that facebook group? If so, which is the best season to continue with? I tried season 1 of the reboot, and once Nick was out, I lost interest, and skipped forward to the finale.
It depends on what you think is "easy". Episodes reliably and quickly go up on torrent sites, and you can use VPNs to pretend you're Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.reddit.com/r/tv_bunny/comments/1adygpa/survivor_australia/
or here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DownUnderTV/
or i saw it on youtube for now... https://www.youtube.com/@castaways-down-under/videos

The season you tried with Nick is extremely slow and had an overload of people who thought strategy was a sign of poor moral character, but it gets pretty good from there, so even the season right after that (2017) is really good and a fine place to start if you can’t get through that first one.

You could also skip right to Brains vs Brawn if you want a more recent one and that one segues to Australian Heroes vs Villains which is an all timer. Or just watch the current season which is all newbies.

Just always skip the first few minutes of e1 which always seem to recap the previous season finale for some reason.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2024

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I haven't done any rewatches of them, but I think all the Australian Survivor seasons have been really good. The first season of the reboot was a little off as they had less players that understood how to play Survivor.

If you have a VPN, the easiest way is to put yourself in Australia and watch on 10play's website. Although maybe hard to avoid getting spoilered on stuff if you pay attention while picking the next episode to watch.

The current Titans vs Rebels season has been pretty good, 9 episodes in at this point. Also on the spoiler part, it seems they like to put the previous season's winner in the new season's opening for some reason...

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Raxivace posted:

https://twitter.com/reimanbledsoe/status/1730027694467784928

These days he's saying, uh, whatever the gently caress this is.

Hey, someone in the replies is trying to get him to join the forum!

https://twitter.com/SPVLABS/status/1730656958330384755

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Some Patreons have instructions for watching international Survivor seasons. If you PM me I can work out how to send them to you.

Off the top of my head, the best seasons are 2017 (season 2 of the reboot), Champions vs Contenders 2 (season 4), Brains vs. Brawn (season 6), and Heroes vs. Villains (season 8).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do they ever test things out on international shows before bringing them to the US version?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think if anything it works the other way around, though I'd be curious to hear of a counter example.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

Do they ever test things out on international shows before bringing them to the US version?

They're not produced collaboratively I believe. I do wish Adam would have been correct about the podium idol that he saw happen on South African Survivor.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

They're not produced collaboratively I believe. I do wish Adam would have been correct about the podium idol that he saw happen on South African Survivor.

I think Jeff brought that up in a podcast, but they don't want players destroying the set looking for idols.

Which, let's be real, they would.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Studio posted:

I think Jeff brought that up in a podcast, but they don't want players destroying the set looking for idols.

Which, let's be real, they would.

I would simply keep destroying all of the sets so severely that they eventually plant an easy idol for me to find to get me to stop.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

*Holding my machete in one hand, and pieces of the Sanctuary, where good things used to happen, in the other*
Are any of these idols?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

in the rubble lies a single rotisserie chicken, no silverware to be found

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kendra the vegetarian picks up the dirty carcass and eats it anyway.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Jeff says that he isn't interested in doing any villain edits on Survivor anymore.

https://parade.com/tv/jeff-probst-survivor-villains-new-era

I get it. While I do miss classic reality show villains, people on social media are unhinged when they dislike someone on a reality show.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, just seeing how social media reacted to some pretty milquetoast TV characters last season, I can't imagine how bad it would get if the show had another Jonny Fairplay

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

RandomHodge posted:

Yeah, just seeing how social media reacted to some pretty milquetoast TV characters last season, I can't imagine how bad it would get if the show had another Jonny Fairplay

On the other hand, the new season of RuPaul's Drag Race has a cast member who seems to have come onto the show to intentionally play the villain, the first intentional one in quite a while, and fans are kind of loving it. She intentionally sabotaged another queen from a win in the first episode, and she is quick to criticize other queens' performances.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah we wouldn’t want any new season to stand out from the ones before it or anything

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bruce is a great villain imo, in that you get a read for why everyone dislikes him, but he's not just A Bad Person. They have more time now, so deeper cats are better imo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Say what you will about Bruce because he is already gone in my memory. I am trying to remember him and all I see is Phil telling me how with his training he would not fall off the rocks. Which is just as well since he is probably watching us right now

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah like, they don’t all have to be Jonny Fairplay, nor would I want that, but they gotta be more exciting than 18 different flavors of oatmeal basically or else all the seasons run together. Especially with Fiji also never changing ever again.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 26, 2024

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Jeff says that he isn't interested in doing any villain edits on Survivor anymore.

https://parade.com/tv/jeff-probst-survivor-villains-new-era

I get it. While I do miss classic reality show villains, people on social media are unhinged when they dislike someone on a reality show.

Oh Probst went to get interviewed on RHAP, that sounds fun.

It does sound from the excerpt not that he's against "villains" on Survivor, but rather against creating villainy through an edit.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

We really, really need some returnee seasons. The post 40 seasons have blended into mush (love the oatmeal analogy) partially because no one has gotten to play the game a second time.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

We really, really need some returnee seasons. The post 40 seasons have blended into mush (love the oatmeal analogy) partially because no one has gotten to play the game a second time.

It's because they are just casting the same basic rear end people every season and filling airtime explaining twists instead of getting to know who the cast are as people or making memorable characters out of their edits.

Australian Survivor is still just running the same format where immunity idols are the only advantages and only a few tribals where they gently caress with the vote format.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think 40s casting is way better than half of the 30s lol, and like, half the 20s.

Studio fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 27, 2024

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I’ve not been a fan of casting in recent seasons - too many super fans looking for an experience, who are just happy to be there.

We don’t need 18 tryhards every season, but a few more would be nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They should do a secret casting where people don't find out until they get a callback from an application that it's Survivor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
experiencers are weirdoes. Go experience whatever you need on your own time, don't make us all have to watch you figure out that you don't like being hungry, uncomfortable, and tired loser in a weird environment.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

experiencers are weirdoes. Go experience whatever you need on your own time, don't make us all have to watch you figure out that you don't like being hungry, uncomfortable, and tired loser in a weird environment.

there's shows for this concept already, too, like you can go on alone or whatever and just be hungry in the woods on TV and then maybe win money

like if you're going for the wilderness experience i don't know why you'd sign up for the show where you're going to be on a beach for, on average, like 2 weeks and you're probably going to win a rotisserie chicken by doing a sliding block puzzle at least once

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know it wouldn’t be possible but I’d like to see more people that didn’t have to be like a student, actor, or unemployed to get on the show. I think you’d have more variety of people be chosen.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Studio posted:

I think 40s casting is way better than half of the 30s lol, and like, half the 20s.
yeah I just think the new seasons all blend together into mush because none of them have any identifying characteristic, like a theme or a location or anything. What was "Survivor 44"--i have no idea. What was uhh Survivor Isle of the Idols? Oh yeah that was the one with the giant Rob and Sandra heads and the sex pest. it's that simple!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, you can have antagonists without having to cast them as 'villains.'

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

What was "Survivor 44"--i have no idea.

Tika 3 and birdcage idols. As for season 39 I recall nothing of value.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

yeah I just think the new seasons all blend together into mush because none of them have any identifying characteristic, like a theme or a location or anything. What was "Survivor 44"--i have no idea. What was uhh Survivor Isle of the Idols? Oh yeah that was the one with the giant Rob and Sandra heads and the sex pest. it's that simple!

This is not a great sell

Jeff does seem opposed to the return of Themes but I bet we see them back after 50 anyway

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I think Jeff’s statement is just a side effect of the way they’re going about casting now: they only get super fans who believe, or are willing to say they believe, that the game itself is bigger than they are. So what we get every time is hooting hollering clapping fans who love the experience and don’t hit those emotional lows.

1. Stories like Katurah’s last year seem to be the way Jeff is going to highlight contestants, and that’s fine as long as their story still gets tied into the game directly. But if everyone has a growth arc like that, then nobody stands out.

2. Jeff seems to be forgetting that one of the biggest things about good villains is that they have a hero who takes them down in the end, just like Pearl Islands, or HVV, or even the heavyhanded theme of DVG. This has kinda been replaced by the “dragonslayer” type character (not Coach) who takes out the biggest player in the game and goes on to win, but the changes to the show structure have made that less interesting.

And anyway Jeff is doubling down on this being a wacky fun show for children now anyway so gently caress it, TLDR the structural changes drove away the old fans and the people who remain are content with the 18 flavors of oatmeal

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I want all corporate sponsored episodes. I want to see people shill the poo poo out of McDonalds and Staples.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

mp5 posted:

1. Stories like Katurah’s last year seem to be the way Jeff is going to highlight contestants, and that’s fine as long as their story still gets tied into the game directly. But if everyone has a growth arc like that, then nobody stands out.

What, the 'we understand that you've cut your mother out of your life after she attempted to marry you off as a child bride to a cult leader, and only changed her mind at the last minute, so here's a letter from her, and a bunch of people telling you that you have to accept bad behavior solely because she's your mother, all on camera?' That story? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

TheCenturion posted:

What, the 'we understand that you've cut your mother out of your life after she attempted to marry you off as a child bride to a cult leader, and only changed her mind at the last minute, so here's a letter from her, and a bunch of people telling you that you have to accept bad behavior solely because she's your mother, all on camera?' That story? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

Yes, that story. Also still can't believe they hosed that up so much

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mp5 posted:

And anyway Jeff is doubling down on this being a wacky fun show for children now anyway so gently caress it, TLDR the structural changes drove away the old fans and the people who remain are content with the 18 flavors of oatmeal

Hard disagree. I've been watching since the beginning and hated the vast majority of the seasons in the 20s-30s. 40+ feels more like a return to form. It is more character-driven, true, but casting fans instead of mactors has given us much better/ more fun gameplay imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

Tika 3 and birdcage idols. As for season 39 I recall nothing of value.
See I do know who the Tika 3 are. I did not know that was 44, I just threw out a number and the numbers mean nothing to me. If there was a memorable title to hook my "tika 3" recollections into then it wouldn't be mush.

Isle of Idols was an all-time bad season but I instantly know what it is by hearing "isle of idols"

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 27, 2024