Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

I think if you stay physically fit and eat healthy, you can age very gracefully. Barring any disease/accident.

yeah. people complaining about glass backs and knees and poo poo in their 30s and 40s are permanently sedentary. your bone and muscle density falls off rapidly as you age. work out a bit, you'll feel great even as a geezer!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also try to eat reasonably well and get 7-8 hours of sleep :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah. people complaining about glass backs and knees and poo poo in their 30s and 40s are permanently sedentary. your bone and muscle density falls off rapidly as you age. work out a bit, you'll feel great even as a geezer!

Knees are a whole other discussion. Working out might increase your chances of bad knees. But still, much better to work out.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

redshirt posted:

I think if you stay physically fit and eat healthy, you can age very gracefully. Barring any disease/accident.

thank you doctor redshirt.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

flubber nuts posted:

thank you doctor redshirt.

That will be 1000 dollars please

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
its good except im tired a lot more now and have to actually do exercise to not get fat but thats okay because exercise is good for you physically and mentally

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Light exercise.
I avoid the sun like the plague.
Put sunscreen on if I'm outside.
Lotion my face.

I'm going to look like I'm in my 20's for another 20 years at least.
Then gracefully die of a heart attack at 50 because my diet is bad.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Light exercise.
I avoid the sun like the plague.
Put sunscreen on if I'm outside.
Lotion my face.

I'm going to look like I'm in my 20's for another 20 years at least.
Then gracefully die of a heart attack at 50 because my diet is bad.

Add some basic stretches too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

also try to eat reasonably well and get 7-8 hours of sleep :)

The amount of research coming out in the last 10 years about just how badly sleep deprivation permanently fucks up both your brain and your body is astounding and definitely got me making sure I get my 7 hours a night, goddamn. And I do feel way better now. I can't believe I used to go to work on 2-3 hours of sleep a night for so long

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I am in shape and do plenty of physical stuff and also have a glass back and arthritis because my body doesn't make the collagens for ligaments correctly, it's been and will continue to be a long, slow, painful slide into becoming crippled no matter what I do :)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Add some basic stretches too.

I've been meaning to start doing stretches just haven't decided what ones yet.
I'm pretty flexible in the hips and knees as far as being able to squat all the way to the ground and back/bring knees to my chest, but I can't bring my fingers past my knees for toe touches which is pretty pathetic.
Also back is a mess from multiple injuries.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

The amount of research coming out in the last 10 years about just how badly sleep deprivation permanently fucks up both your brain and your body is astounding and definitely got me making sure I get my 7 hours a night, goddamn. And I do feel way better now. I can't believe I used to go to work on 2-3 hours of sleep a night for so long

yeah it's crazy. for a lot of people, a healthy life can start and end at more rest and better quality food. physical activity is important for staying strong and capable into old age but just focusing on getting your eating and sleeping right makes a world of difference

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I actually used to love climbing, but I don't do it anymore because I can't trust my shoulder sockets. The one that got rebuilt when I was 17 already cost way too much money and physical ability as-is.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
gently caress that research. Who is funding all these sleep is good for you studies? The No Duh Institute?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
im 36 and just by improving my diet (not eating takeout or fast food anymore, no more premade frozen foods, more fruit and water) and doing some light exercise, quitting smoking weed in favor of occasionally taking shrooms, i can honestly say this is the best ive felt in my entire adult life. comparing photos, i look younger now than i did 10 years ago

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I've been meaning to start doing stretches just haven't decided what ones yet.
I'm pretty flexible in the hips and knees as far as being able to squat all the way to the ground and back/bring knees to my chest, but I can't bring my fingers past my knees for toe touches which is pretty pathetic.
Also back is a mess from multiple injuries.

Stretching - like everything - improves with regular use. Toe touches, groin stretches, Achilles stretches, and general overall flexibility - like moving your hips, lifting knees, etc.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Junk posted:

im 36 and just by improving my diet (not eating takeout or fast food anymore, no more premade frozen foods, more fruit and water) and doing some light exercise, quitting smoking weed in favor of occasionally taking shrooms, i can honestly say this is the best ive felt in my entire adult life. comparing photos, i look younger now than i did 10 years ago

How do you look younger? Your skin looks better or something?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Stretching - like everything - improves with regular use. Toe touches, groin stretches, Achilles stretches, and general overall flexibility - like moving your hips, lifting knees, etc.

Yoga has been the single most important physical piece of my QOL since I got diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos 20 years ago

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Yoga has been the single most important physical piece of my QOL since I got diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos 20 years ago

Glad to hear it brother.

Yeah, yoga is great.

I forget the name of it, the old Chinese ladies would do this practice in the park in the morning, it's a set sequence of moves that promote flexibility. Like yoga but not as intense.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redshirt posted:

Glad to hear it brother.

Yeah, yoga is great.

I forget the name of it, the old Chinese ladies would do this practice in the park in the morning, it's a set sequence of moves that promote flexibility. Like yoga but not as intense.

Tai chi?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Three Olives posted:

I'm 40~, married homeowner, house is close to paid off and located 10 minutes from the CBD, almost no debt in general, no student loan debt, great credit, free healthcare, recession-proof job in administration in which I have an assistant that I direct all day-to-day activities for, including assigning them my work if I am busy with reporting or something.

Literally everyday is a self-esteem boast.

Downgrades: My husband and me needed more space so I moved outside of the CBD and my home no longer has valet parking and I can't walk everywhere.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah, that's it. A great example of how simple daily movements can provide big health benefits.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Yeah, that's it. A great example of how simple daily movements can provide big health benefits.

Tai chi and positional/postural awareness PT stuff has also been a big help for my poo poo. I have a buddy who has the same back issues as I do but from an injury, and he taught me a bunch of posture stuff he did with a PT after he got that shot in his disc. It was really helpful stuff, especially cuz we're both drummers with severe sciatica issues.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

gonna second the yoga here. not the ehlers danlos. 30 minutes of yoga every other day got me doing back flips at 55. (id imagine, im only 35 rn)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

kntfkr posted:

gently caress that research. Who is funding all these sleep is good for you studies? The No Duh Institute?

It seems there was a documentary about this, hosted by Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, I'll give it a watch and report back to the thread.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

For sure! I don't think I'm a total lost cause or anything I just need to actually take the initiative and get into a habit of it. I don't need to do the splits or anything but that would be a pretty cool long term goal.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 22, 2023

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
i thought i would age more by now.

there is a tiny bit of grey in my beard but barely any lines on my face, and I’m seeing much younger people look like total s**t

honestly, after being a spotty teen I’m OK with this

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

heh, groin stretches :keke:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I didn’t start seriously exercising or watching what I ate until my 30’s. As a result I feel loads better and I regret not getting on this poo poo in college or earlier.

Learning to not give a poo poo about stuff that doesn’t really matter is nice too. Someone doesn’t like me? I’m not striving hard enough in my career? loving screw.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I’m now 53. What I learned is that each phase of life is just different. Not better or worse, just different.

I have all I’ve ever wanted, but I am so frustrated with other people that I am stressed out and burned out.

Take pleasure where you can. Do what you can to help your fellow man. Just don’t destroy yourself helping others.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've lost 97 pounds since july of last year by eating somewhere between 1400-1700 calories a day, lifting weights 3-4x a week, and kayaking on the off days. i've also started doing some mobility work.

i legitimately feel ten years younger. hair is better, skin is nicer, joints are less creaky, blood pressure dropped more than thirty points, brain is sharper, less depressed. i had to work a little for it but this is indistinguishable and honestly probably an improvement from how i felt in my mid 20s, and my quality of life is still trending upward.

i fully plan on maintaining this and gracefully aging as best as i can through smart living.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

i've lost 97 pounds since july of last year by eating somewhere between 1400-1700 calories a day, lifting weights 3-4x a week, and kayaking on the off days. i've also started doing some mobility work.

i legitimately feel ten years younger. hair is better, skin is nicer, joints are less creaky, blood pressure dropped more than thirty points, brain is sharper, less depressed. i had to work a little for it but this is indistinguishable and honestly probably an improvement from how i felt in my mid 20s, and my quality of life is still trending upward.

i fully plan on maintaining this and gracefully aging as best as i can through smart living.

My man!

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I turned 27 and my body immediately started rebelling and falling apart. This poo poo sucks

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BallisticClipboard posted:

I turned 27 and my body immediately started rebelling and falling apart. This poo poo sucks

lol no it didn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQnag6Z0B0

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Das Boo posted:

Age'll probably slam us hard in our 60's, but not today!

But physically, same. I managed to injure my shoulder by stretching in bed.

For women it's menopause not our 60s

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

pencilhands posted:

How do you look younger? Your skin looks better or something?

yeah, and more color in my skin, my posture isn't as bad and my eyes dont look as sunken. just overall looking more alive

edit:

Southern Cassowary posted:

this owns, i feel like ive only gotten a taste of this and i want more.

Junk fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 23, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Junk posted:

yeah, and more color in my skin, my posture isn't as bad and my eyes dont look as sunken. just overall looking more alive

"not being depressed and wallowing in it" is a real game changer in every aspect of your life, and people are really wilded out when they see the results of it

that's not even a slight or anything, I'm guilty of the same poo poo and recognizing the results. It's the best mental QOL improvement you can make.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

"not being depressed and wallowing in it" is a real game changer in every aspect of your life, and people are really wilded out when they see the results of it

that's not even a slight or anything, I'm guilty of the same poo poo and recognizing the results. It's the best mental QOL improvement you can make.

i feel it. therapy has also been a part of it, but like anything external it can only take you so far, you have to really believe for yourself that poo poo can get better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!