Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Junk posted:

i feel it. therapy has also been a part of it, but like anything external it can only take you so far, you have to really believe for yourself that poo poo can get better

absolutely.
my left arm fell out of socket on its own so many times, that by 17 the socket was described in an MRI as, "it looks like he fell off a motorcycle going 50 and rolled on a dislocated shoulder," and that's just my body trying to kill me.
gotta get kinda hippie with it at that point, start doing yoga and posture stuff and also doing therapy and dealing with the reality of the fact that it's never gonna get better.
being angry at the world isn't gonna make your shoulder, your joints, your connective tissues or your life better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I kinda like it.
I'm gonna put it on my car.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

MrQwerty posted:

absolutely.
my left arm fell out of socket on its own so many times, that by 17 the socket was described in an MRI as, "it looks like he fell off a motorcycle going 50 and rolled on a dislocated shoulder," and that's just my body trying to kill me.
gotta get kinda hippie with it at that point, start doing yoga and posture stuff and also doing therapy and dealing with the reality of the fact that it's never gonna get better.
being angry at the world isn't gonna make your shoulder, your joints, your connective tissues or your life better.

My man.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Are full body cybernetics available yet?

Asking for a friend.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I've enjoyed getting slightly smarter and more realistic but now every time I get a stomach or head ache I get convinced I'm going to die.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

weg posted:

Are full body cybernetics available yet?

Asking for a friend.

Check out Elon's "NueralLink"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy seeing my body and mind age like I enjoy watching the seasons pass, there's always something happening, it's inevitable so may as well accept it. I also enjoy fightng against it though. At 42 I've cultivated a cardio routine to the point my heart rate is in the low thirties, it feels like a super power to be able to wake up and run a half marathon or more on any given day just cos you feel like it.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Late 30s, I still go in the pit at shows, gym numbers are higher than ever. Feel a little slower overall, but at this point in life "slow" makes more sense.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I don't mind being older I just hate my life experiences and they keep piling up

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Im 34 and life seems to get better every year. I have to be more aware of taking care of my body, but then i do and I’m like “hey I feel good.” I still drink a lot of wine but I dont plan on ever giving that up. I get better perspectives on life and my work. i keep getting better at everything except for moving fast. I still feel healthy and energetic, but life is stable instead of completely chaotic like my 20s were. People respect me and often look to me as someone who knows they they’re doing, and i get along with almost everyone because I have learned how to stop being judgmental and moody. I feel like I’m approaching my prime.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devil's are really angels freeing you from the earth.

:dings:

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Im 34 and life seems to get better every year. I have to be more aware of taking care of my body, but then i do and I’m like “hey I feel good.” I still drink a lot of wine but I dont plan on ever giving that up. I get better perspectives on life and my work. i keep getting better at everything except for moving fast. I still feel healthy and energetic, but life is stable instead of completely chaotic like my 20s were. People respect me and often look to me as someone who knows they they’re doing, and i get along with almost everyone because I have learned how to stop being judgmental and moody. I feel like I’m approaching my prime.

gently caress yeah. Don't sweat moving fast, that shits for the birds.

I'm a few years older and your post makes me pumped for you..it's gonna be awesome.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can't recommend daily stretching enough. Like 5 - 10 minutes. Do it regularly and give yourself a great shot at a healthy old age.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Cool story bro. :hmmyes:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fitter Happier More Productive

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

No. 6 posted:

I don't mind being older I just hate my life experiences and they keep piling up

I feel this.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
My late teens and early twenties (maybe even most of my twenties) were so uncertain, just from a general “what am I going to do with my life?” and “will I be able to make this work?” perspective.

My thirties are definitely less “exciting”, but I think if I had the level of uncertainty that I had during the last years of university and the first years of trying to start something like a career, it’d give me a nervous breakdown at this point. I really don’t envy young adults.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
it's all downhill from here at 35

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My first post-50 passport photo looks better than the last one, so I’m happy about that.

I need reading glasses and take blood pressure medication, but I drink less and I’m going in a generally positive direction which is a nice change.

I guess I’d say I’m aging fairly gracefully because I don’t feel especially old at all. It’s shocking to me that I could technically retire in 15 years or so. On my deathbed I’ll probably be very confused about how this has come to pass.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i used to not be disabled, so no :kiddo:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

motherfucking hysterical lol

Gohan32
Mar 18, 2004
Calculus Failure
No.

I feel old AF, got drunk and posted a dumb thread in GBS generally about being old and nostalgia, but left a ton of details that would surely incur flaming. Got myself some probation for that.

Anyone even use the forum slang "flame" anymore?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

thinking on pencilhands' christmas gift now that there are 3 wizard master avatars

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MackAddie posted:

Well... I turned 50 yesterday. Got my AARP invitation last month. Guess I'll just wait for the reaper.

I turned 40 like six months ago. Thought I was the old man.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I turned 40 like six months ago. Thought I was the old man.

Come back to the thread in say…. five years?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Snowy posted:

Come back to the thread in say…. five years?

maybe, I don't know what the future holds

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Have I enjoyed the aging process? Not tremendously, but like everybody else says, it beats the alternative.

And I’m not saying that completely flippantly, I’m 56 and people all around me who have lived more dissolute lifestyles(and some who were just unlucky) are dropping like flies and it’s sad as hell. A ton of old punk-rock buddies have OD’d. Several old female friends of mine have been brought down by breast cancer. My ex-wife died of ovarian cancer. My best friend, we’ve been buddies since we were 13 has MS really bad and the future is uncertain. My cousin, who got in all sorts of trouble with me when we were wild kids, died last year from heart failure, I’m sure because he was a long-term meth user. My dad died a couple weeks ago. My son died 7 years ago, an early victim of fentanyl.

But I’m still here and I’m lucky. I finally have a decent job with good medical and an actual pension(yay government employment), I have a small but tidy house, a nice-but-boring car that I don’t have to make payments on anymore, a couple of motorcycles that I also own outright. My partner and I get along well, without all the drama and arguments of past relationships.

I still go to punk shows, but my pit days are over, now I’m the guy at the edge of the pit bouncing people back into the fray. Semiretirement, I guess.

Sometimes I kinda miss the excitement of my younger days, but once I think about it awhile, I really don’t. There was a LOT of time I was lonely, I was scared of the future, I was broke, I would drive around all night searching for something I didn’t even know like an old Springsteen song. I was rudderless, just sort of ping-ponging from crisis to crisis with no clear destination. I don’t feel that way anymore.

My right shoulder is hosed and I’m going to need to have it fixed, and I’m still kinda recovering from oropharyngeal(back of the tongue) cancer - cancer’s in remission but recovering from the 36 radiation treatments and all the chemo is a bitch. And I lost my sense of taste, which is sad, because I loved to eat, but maybe it’s for the best, because I’m down to my high-school weight and can wear all my old clothes. Of course they all look absurd on a 56-year-old, but I could if I wanted.

So as Steve Earle would say ‘I feel alright’.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JnnyThndrs posted:

Have I enjoyed the aging process? Not tremendously, but like everybody else says, it beats the alternative.

And I’m not saying that completely flippantly, I’m 56 and people all around me who have lived more dissolute lifestyles(and some who were just unlucky) are dropping like flies and it’s sad as hell. A ton of old punk-rock buddies have OD’d. Several old female friends of mine have been brought down by breast cancer. My ex-wife died of ovarian cancer. My best friend, we’ve been buddies since we were 13 has MS really bad and the future is uncertain. My cousin, who got in all sorts of trouble with me when we were wild kids, died last year from heart failure, I’m sure because he was a long-term meth user. My dad died a couple weeks ago. My son died 7 years ago, an early victim of fentanyl.

But I’m still here and I’m lucky. I finally have a decent job with good medical and an actual pension(yay government employment), I have a small but tidy house, a nice-but-boring car that I don’t have to make payments on anymore, a couple of motorcycles that I also own outright. My partner and I get along well, without all the drama and arguments of past relationships.

I still go to punk shows, but my pit days are over, now I’m the guy at the edge of the pit bouncing people back into the fray. Semiretirement, I guess.

Sometimes I kinda miss the excitement of my younger days, but once I think about it awhile, I really don’t. There was a LOT of time I was lonely, I was scared of the future, I was broke, I would drive around all night searching for something I didn’t even know like an old Springsteen song. I was rudderless, just sort of ping-ponging from crisis to crisis with no clear destination. I don’t feel that way anymore.

My right shoulder is hosed and I’m going to need to have it fixed, and I’m still kinda recovering from oropharyngeal(back of the tongue) cancer - cancer’s in remission but recovering from the 36 radiation treatments and all the chemo is a bitch. And I lost my sense of taste, which is sad, because I loved to eat, but maybe it’s for the best, because I’m down to my high-school weight and can wear all my old clothes. Of course they all look absurd on a 56-year-old, but I could if I wanted.

56? old man

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MrQwerty posted:

absolutely.

But neither is being happy so..

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

... are we the same person?

Are your joints suspiciously lovely but you're in way better health than before because you started taking care of that?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Great write-up, thanks for sharing.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Get off my gawd-drat lawn.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Give me 5 Old Coots over 10 Young Bucks

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JnnyThndrs posted:

Get off my gawd-drat lawn.

where the hell else am I supposed to meat your daughter

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

In the toolshed, do I have to teach you everything?

Watch out for the spiders though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JnnyThndrs posted:

In the toolshed, do I have to teach you everything?

Watch out for the spiders though.

aww man. now she gonna be mad at me

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I watch people around me literally sweat as they're eating a meal, huffing and puffing after a minute or two of physical labor, hear people complain about the poo poo that's wrong with their body. And it's all because of being sedentary. 5 years ago I was headed for a heart attack by the age of 45. Lost 40 pounds and got in shape and now don't feel like my heart is on the verge of exploding constantly. I only feel aging in the sense of looking at anyone more than 10 years younger and thinking they're literal children and other standard stuff like not following the lingo and media as closely anymore.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Peggy Edson posted:

I watch people around me literally sweat as they're eating a meal, huffing and puffing after a minute or two of physical labor, hear people complain about the poo poo that's wrong with their body. And it's all because of being sedentary. 5 years ago I was headed for a heart attack by the age of 45. Lost 40 pounds and got in shape and now don't feel like my heart is on the verge of exploding constantly. I only feel aging in the sense of looking at anyone more than 10 years younger and thinking they're literal children and other standard stuff like not following the lingo and media as closely anymore.

everything is bullshit. Glad you dont have to watch children work themselfs to death anymore

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
Getting old sucks. I hate my gray (silver) hair, my shoulder is in constant pain, taxes (bureaucracy in general) stress me out; I'm afraid I'm always one missed form or deadline from owing the government a shitton of money. I sweat buckets in my sleep half the time and the doctor used the word "peri-menopausal" and I told him to shove it right back down his throat. I'm not quite 40 yet.

But the worst part about getting older is my parents (and in-laws) getting old old. Seeing the things they ignore and let go of that they never would have when I was younger makes me sad. It's getting hard for them to take care of themselves and even harder to take care of each other and they never tell me or my brothers or husband that they need help and I just feel awful for them. They refuse to move anywhere near where we can help them, though. It's an absolute struggle to convince them they need to slow down. When the pandemic hit, I told my dad he needs to stay home because he's got diabetes, a stroke disorder, and he's elderly. He said, "I'm not elderly, I think of my parents as elderly." And I had to remind him, "your parents aren't elderly, dad, they're dead. You need to stay home." After every time I go visit them, I start writing their eulogies in my head because it very well may be the last time I see them. On top of all of that, I am no care taker, but they wouldn't have me even if I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's my "Don't Get Old before you are really freaking old" recipe:

Daily stretching. Only takes 5-10 minutes a day. Every day.
Active lifestyle. However you choose.
Healthy diet.
Moisturizing.
Good sleep.

Obvious, right? Yeah! Do it!