Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

those were Sid’s, here’s the Haunted Clubhouse thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4044147

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly the more people seem to not care about the codes the better it is for me because if I end up doing this again next year there may not be any prizes at all. It's good that people seem to be happy to just participate for the sake of the spooky season fun.

I'm not opting out of the draw - although I may pass up a prize if there's nothing left that I want - but I don't do it for the hope of reward. I don't watch movies for any reason except that I want to. What's the point otherwise?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I'm not opting out of the draw - although I may pass up a prize if there's nothing left that I want - but I don't do it for the hope of reward. I don't watch movies for any reason except that I want to. What's the point otherwise?

It's not so much that anyone is doing it for a prize, it's just more of a ceremonial or traditional thing that seems appropriate for a fun challenge like this.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Jedit posted:

For most of us the reward is in introducing someone to a movie they didn't know about.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

For most of us the reward is in introducing someone to a movie they didn't know about.

I’ll second this, but also it’s just nice to be festive. I really like October and Halloween, so it’s fun to do a thematically related thing and then share that as a group.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Yeah, and I like to think that when I see a movie I wrote about appear later in the thread that there is a small chance they checked it out because I wrote about it earlier.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

Yeah, and I like to think that when I see a movie I wrote about appear later in the thread that there is a small chance they checked it out because I wrote about it earlier.

That's why I list how/where I watched a movie, so if someone's curious about it they know where to look.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
I pretty much only watch these on DVD, so I got not place to recommend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Totally forgot that I also have a code for Sleepy Hollow, I doubt if that changes anyone's mind about opting out but let me know if it does.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's why I list how/where I watched a movie, so if someone's curious about it they know where to look.

:same:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A lot of times after watching a movie I’d go back through the thread looking for other people’s takes on it, at least if I knew I’d seen it before.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Basebf555 posted:

I won't begin the drawings for another 24 hours, so if your name is on the list but you want to opt-out, you still have time to let me know.

Opting out.

The new gang tag is cool, but I like skeletons way more than Jason so prefer the old one.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Russian Guyovitch posted:

I still need to toss together my wrap-up, but would also like to go for the Jason tag.

Finally, a wrap-up post:

I didn't really have a lot of stand-outs this year, so I haven't bothered trying to identify any best and worst films. Overall it was mostly a competently made and enjoyable list of films with a few duds sprinkled in, but nothing that I'm going to go out of my way to revisit down the line. So without further ado, here's my full list, with challenges and meta-challenges included, plus my bingo card:

1. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein – FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSARY
2. Mosquito – WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK
3. Kill List – CineD HORROR THREAD POLL
4. The Mutilator -BACK OF THE VIDEO STORE
5. Piranha – THAT GUY DICK MILLER
6. The Pope's Exorcist – THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSARY
7. Horror Noire – BITE-SIZED HORROR
8. No One Will Save You – HORROR ADJACENT
9. Totally Killer – SAMHAIN 
10. Carmilla – PICNIC IN SPACE
11. #Alive – ROB ZOMBIE
12. Thirst – BIRTH OF HORROR 
13. C.H.U.D. - CHILDHOOD TRAUMA *Rewatch*
14. Psycho II
15. V/H/S 85
16. Dog Soldiers
17. The Autopsy of Jane Doe
18. Slaughterhouse
19. Caveat
20. Friday the 13th  *Rewatch*
21. Freddy vs. Jason *Rewatch*
22. Slash/Back
23. Scarecrows
24. Evil Dead Rise
25. Moloch
26. Road Games
27. Triangle
28. The Black Phone
29. Slotherhouse
30. May
31. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014) 
32. Rec 
33. Terrifier 2
34. Day Shift
35. The Wretched
36. The Conference
37. Influencer
38. Rosemary's Baby
39. Suspiria *Rewatch*
40. The Blair Witch Project *Rewatch*
41. The Conjuring *Rewatch*
42. The House of the Devil *Rewatch*

Meta Challenges

New-to-You
1. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
2. Mosquito
3. Kill List
4. The Mutilator
5. Piranha
6. The Pope's Exorcist

History Lesson
1. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1940's)
2. Mosquito (1990's)
3. Kill List (2010's)
4. The Mutilator (1980's)
5. Piranha (1970's)

Around the World
1. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein (North America)
2. Kill List (Europe)
3. #Alive (Asia)
4. Thirst (Australia)

Horror is For Everyone
1. Horror Noire (P.O.C. Filmmakers and Themes)
2. Totally Killer (Female Filmmaker)
3. Carmilla (LGBTQ+ Themes)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gang Tags should be processing in the next few days, movie code drawing coming today or tomorrow. Sorry for the delays!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
:spooky::spooky:PRIZE WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT:spooky::spooky:

I've drawn the 8 winners for the horror movie codes. I think what we'll do is have each winner PM me(or just post if you don't have PMs) a top-3 list of their most desired movies and we'll go in order, with the first winner drawn getting first priority choice, and then go from there.

The first winner, and therefore the person who gets their #1 choice of movie is........Jedit!!!

The rest of the winners were drawn in the following order:

2. Russian Guyovich
3. Nikumatic
4. rodbeard
5. Justin Godsock
6. Xenomorph
7. Deadite
8. alf-pogs
9. Biff Rockgroin

If any of the winners have actually opted out and I didn't see it, feel free to let me know now and I'll just draw another name.

The list of available movies:

The Addams Family(1991)
Poltergeist(1982)
Event Horizon
Friday the 13th Part 4 aka The Final Chapter(regular 1080p, not 4k)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Lost Boys
Sleepy Hollow
Pearl(courtesy of Shrecknet)
X(also courtesy of Shrecknet)

The three potentially expired codes are:

I Know What You Did Last Summer
Angel Heart
Scream

So if one of the winners wants to try these out first and then take something else if they are expired, we'll give it a shot.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 7, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Congrats, all! Thanks for running this thing, Base!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Woo hoo!! October rules, movies rule, thread rules, horror forever

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, this challenge turned me into a horror addict, I think. I absolutely had a blast watching so many movies, reading and writing about them all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
One of us ! One of Us ! One of Us!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I really had such a great time - I loved being able to share my passion for horror movies and reviews and to have a few great conversations along the way. Thanks a whole bunch again for this, and congrats everyone! I'll be seeing you next year...and in the horror thread until then! :)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah you’d like the horror thread. We do this poo poo year round.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I always forget Ash's silly moccasins until I'm watching the movie again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah you’d like the horror thread. We do this poo poo year round.

sincerely my favorite thread on the forums

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Good job on movies everyone! Hopefully I can do it again next year!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky::spooky:PRIZE WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT:spooky::spooky:

I've drawn the 8 winners for the horror movie codes. I think what we'll do is have each winner PM me(or just post if you don't have PMs) a top-3 list of their most desired movies and we'll go in order, with the first winner drawn getting first priority choice, and then go from there.

The first winner, and therefore the person who gets their #1 choice of movie is........Jedit!!!

Wow. I do have PMs so you can send the code that way, but to make it easier for everyone else to plan I'll say here that I'll take the code for X.

E: and obviously, thanks very much.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

sincerely my favorite thread on the forums

I'll go further and argue that it might be one of the best threads for horror dorks on the internet. Low drama, everyone's cool and has eclectic tastes, and everyone just wants to help other people find/talk about weird poo poo. I love the horror goons more than a lot of people I know in actual life.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:GANG TAG BUSINESS:spooky:

I would like the Jason tag. thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey everyone,

I have submitted the gang tags and it's just on the admins to accept them. For those with a current gang tag that requested one of the alt tags, i kept your current tag but added the new one to like this using the marquee code. if you don't like it and prefer one tag only let me know.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Oh gently caress yeah!!! That's my girl!!!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Actually, poo poo, now I see it in place, could I be super annoying and request just the Sadako one instead? If not, just the Jason one.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Goddamn you are a gentleman AND a scholar. Now YMCK Sadako has company!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Actually, poo poo, now I see it in place, could I be super annoying and request just the Sadako one instead? If not, just the Jason one.

yeah I kind of want just the Jason one, the marquee scrolling looks weird

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Happy to oblige I knew it was a gamble doing the marquee

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Happy to oblige I knew it was a gamble doing the marquee

I'm coming around to it. I was originally imagining that in a couple years the entire Horror Thread would be like this shot, but the marquee scroll is pretty neat too and less prone to being ridiculous.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm coming around to it. I was originally imagining that in a couple years the entire Horror Thread would be like this shot, but the marquee scroll is pretty neat too and less prone to being ridiculous.

Lol imo it should be like that

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Posting to show off my j-horror gang tag :nyoron::ghost:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Give us time, we'll get to Zhukov levels at some point.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I've thought long and hard about the logistics about having a little medal cabinet beneath names for all the years/events you've been here, but I don't know how to make it work without making the mods do a lot of work and they're not getting paid for putting up with all this bullshit so naw, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Imp Zone runs em offsite and plops the link in the siggy