Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

sudonim posted:

It's already been covered that they're herbivores but modern thinking considers beaver damming behavior a good thing for the most part. They change ecosystems in a way that a lot more things can move in. There was some town in California that 2000ish stopped discouraging beaver dams and as a result had river otters move back in for the first time in like a century.

Yeah the wetlands they create by damming are incredibly diverse. They do kill trees, but it opens up tons of niches for other plants, animals, and insects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Cute lil fella :kimchi:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sudonim posted:

They're also stupid as gently caress, apparently you can just put a book box playing river sounds out in the woods and beavers will build a dam on it

Lol they're nearly blind

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sudonim posted:

It's already been covered that they're herbivores but modern thinking considers beaver damming behavior a good thing for the most part. They change ecosystems in a way that a lot more things can move in. There was some town in California that 2000ish stopped discouraging beaver dams and as a result had river otters move back in for the first time in like a century.

just waiting for a good song

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was hiking in the middle of the forest - no trails, just tromping through the forest. And I crest a hill and see a perfectly defined trail. Which was alarming at first, because I was in the middle of the forest, nothing led to this trail.

I follow it down the hill, and it goes directly into water, which looks like a canal. I follow the canal and it leads to a giant beaver dam, 10 feet high, 100 feet long, huge. I walked on top of it.

This trail was so the beavers could find specific trees, drag them down the hill and then float them up the canal to their humongous dam.

All in the middle of nowhere. My eyes were opened that day about what the beavers are doing out there.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

I was hiking in the middle of the forest - no trails, just tromping through the forest. And I crest a hill and see a perfectly defined trail. Which was alarming at first, because I was in the middle of the forest, nothing led to this trail.

I follow it down the hill, and it goes directly into water, which looks like a canal. I follow the canal and it leads to a giant beaver dam, 10 feet high, 100 feet long, huge. I walked on top of it.

This trail was so the beavers could find specific trees, drag them down the hill and then float them up the canal to their humongous dam.

All in the middle of nowhere. My eyes were opened that day about what the beavers are doing out there.

one day that will happen in Croydon

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

sudonim posted:

They're also stupid as gently caress, apparently you can just put a book box playing river sounds out in the woods and beavers will build a dam on it

What morons!

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/DggHeuhpFvg?si=ZG3-xfPn90pGJ8jx

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
that's an american beaver. British beavers still have alot to learn

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Crystal Thenis posted:

one day that will happen in Croydon

Praise be!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyh1glTNuh0

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The UK: not a breedable beaver in over 400 years

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

The UK: not a breedable beaver in over 400 years

but, it has been in in the last 60 years

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GetDunked posted:

Cute lil fella :kimchi:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Speaking of England and Beavers, here's a good David Attenborough video on them. My favorite part is toward the end with the over-winter muskrat tenants who pay rent with "furniture" upkeep.

For those who worry about the sort of thing, this is a cute video where no critters get rekt.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah I wish I got to make that noise when I was on my lunch break and a skunk just trundled up :mad:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

redshirt posted:

this sounds pretty magical and im hella jealous.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

flubber nuts posted:

this sounds pretty magical and im hella jealous.

It was eye opening. I became kinda obsessed with these beavers as I lived in this cabin in the woods for 8 months and hiked pretty much every day. But the area these beavers flooded - I called it "The Beaver Wasteland" - was vast, so I did a lot of exploring trying to find a relatively dry path through it, otherwise I'd have to go way out of the way to get to the other side. I never found one, other than walking directly on the beaver dam. Which I did quite a bit, but it was always a bit nerve wracking, as it's just beaver construction, and their HUGE lodge was close by, and I was never sure if they'd get pissed at me. They never did.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you fall asleep near a river a beaver will chew your leg off

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Very few non pirates have a wooden peg leg.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you fall asleep near a river a beaver will chew your leg off

if you got your nipple bitten off by a beaver, you might be a redneck

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

MackAddie fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 1, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

:wink:

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Apparently the Queen automatically owns all swans in England. Which member of the Royal Family gets to own the beavers?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Apparently the Queen automatically owns all swans in England. Which member of the Royal Family gets to own the beavers?

Andrew had a keen interest in baby beavers

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

lookit that lil gently caress

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

sad news everyone, the beaver has passed away

Science can bring it back, but better.

I mean either that or Satan. Either works.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

sad news everyone, the beaver has passed away

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67075177

“Last year two beavers, named Justin and Sigourney Beaver, were introduced … but one of them died before the pair could breed.”

Probably for the best. They’ve got the same surname, so were presumably related.

In happier news, a family of Scottish beavers has now moved in.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

sudonim posted:

https://youtu.be/-ImdlZtOU80

(e;fb kinda but hey this one's a Christmas hallway dam.)

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 12, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 12, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Not sure how well they go once they start re-introducing wolves, bears, and dragons.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Probably for the best. They’ve got the same surname, so were presumably related.

when has that stopped the uk

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Everyone NEEDS to hear the sounds baby beavers make.

Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONb2FVNe-7o

(About 2:30-3:00)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

kaom posted:

Sample:

Their ear was itchy so they scratched with their hind leg when it was rubbed like dogs and cats will do. Cute

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

kaom posted:

Sample:

awwww ☺️

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, when they're young they're cute, but then, then they grow up!!!

Okay well, yeah they're still pretty adorable after they grow up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, when they're young they're cute, but then, then they grow up!!!

Okay well, yeah they're still pretty adorable after they grow up.

Yeah wait till they flood your crops and pastures buddy! Not so cute then I tell ya.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Yeah wait till they flood your crops and pastures buddy! Not so cute then I tell ya.

I only grow non-adorable, stupid crops, and tend to non-adorable, stupid pastures, which I'll be quite honest probably deserve a good flooding. :colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I only grow non-adorable, stupid crops, and tend to non-adorable, stupid pastures, which I'll be quite honest probably deserve a good flooding. :colbert:

Rice farmer, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Rice farmer, eh?

Cactus actually, oh they'll rue the day they got on my bad side!