Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Well as long as we've got X.com posts that still say twitter.com because Apartheid Clyde is both a stupid rear end in a top hat and that far in the tank of other right wing assholes I doubt it's going to be improving any time soon. There are more than a few actors, state level and non, that flourish in this exact kind of information environment and will fellate his ego all day every day for making it happen as well as keeping it going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Read an Atlantic article (here though I think it's paywalled) about the conflict and if that's representative then poo poo's going downhill and the people in the driver's seat are baying for blood. While it's kind of portrayed as 9/11 situation the big difference in tone I got from that interview is that he isn't rallying behind Netanyahu, just war. The guy giving the interview wants Hamas destroyed *and* Netanyahu out of office because he's pissed that Netanyahu didn't stop it from happening. Different, so far, from the 9/11 "With us or against us if you don't like it here git out!" rhetoric at least but my feeling is the outcome is probably going to end up the same over time. I suspect Netanyahu is going to be able to ride the current wave of chaos long enough to give himself time to build that level of support that good ol' Bush-y kins got for free.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ASAPI posted:

Where do they expect these people to go? Isn't any potential "safe zone" already over crowded with people who are already attempting to evac?

This really sounds like they are just knee jerking their way through this and hoping their lack of planning/leadership/goals can be forgiven if they drop enough ordinance.

Go? I don't think they care about them "going" anywhere, and don't even expect it to happen you can't move a million people in one day and it's beyond farcical to even say that.

It's them saying "We're going to genocide everyone here oopsie doodles looks like you didn't leave fast enough you must be a terrorist guess you all die now."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm grimly certain no one in Netanyahu's government had a plan for taking out Hamas because their planning was on how to resolve the problem by removing the Palestinian presence in Gaza.

We're ending up at that same place, but on the way there I think expecting a differentiation between Palestinians and Hamas might be an error in anticipating Netanyahu's government plans in situations like their removal from Palestine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dance Officer posted:

I have the firefox add-on that removes ads on youtube completely

Which one is that? I tried ublock and it didn't work in YouTube.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tiny Timbs posted:

Anyone who think there's a chance of him leaving is kidding themselves

Well....leaving voluntarily. Involuntarily? Could happen.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When I put two things on the scale, one of them being "Launch whoopsiedoodle bullseye's a hospital accidentally" and the other being "Israel is doing some war crimin' right after they said they'd do some war crimin' " the scales kinda lean in favor of "Oh right, bombing civilian infrastructure to cause unnecessary suffering and death, that thing Israel has already done before in the past."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The best solution to where we are today would have been decades and decades of Israel not doing what they have been doing to make this inevitable at some point. We're sort of out of the "good" options now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys sorry I hope I'm not intruding on this subforum but I have a question and maybe some of you have more military experience might be familiar. there's been some footage out of this conflict that I have questions about.

What is best practices when you're a tank columns to prevent ATGM fire and how badly of a gently caress up is it on the part of the column that ATGM teams manage to make it within 100 feet of your armour? is there a field manual that says 'try to prevent enemies from getting within a certain number of feet from your tank' I'm genuinely curious.

how big of a gently caress up is it for infantry (around 30 or so ) to bunch up within 2 feet of each other and not notice a small drone dropping an anti-personnel grenade from barely 60 feet over their heads in the middle of them in an active warzone?

I'm genuinely curious what your experiences might be and how for example an american team would handle that.

anyways, if I'm asking stupid stuff I apologize and will buzz off.

*shrug* You paid your :10bux: like everyone else around here. So far as I know nobody is automatically denied entry at the doorway for their status, it's actions that make that happen. You didn't come in slinging hot takes and talking poo poo so whatevs join the crowd in wishing this shitshow of horrors was over.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What I'm hearing is that a unit of spearmen on the defensive really could defeat a unit of tanks.

Knew it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lazy_Liberal posted:

regardless of the origins, a lot of jews in my community understand "from the river to the sea" as a call for dismantling the state of Israel. that's existentially frightening since so many of us live with the intergenerational trauma that we will be deported/genocided in the diaspora and require a "safe" place. i think a lot of folks discount how important it feels to have access to significant landmarks from the Torah as well since many of them were inaccessible to Jews for centuries.

that said, i think arguing over rhetoric is hot garbage and the focus needs to be on ending the slaughter of people immediately. it's so contrary to the idea of pikuach nefesh that it is pretty soul destroying to see this violence associated with Judaism in any way.

anyways I'm preaching to the choir and could ramble on for days about this. thanks goons

basically this

Thanks for this, it's a good reminder that rhetoric can mean different things to different people and within their own heads it's all going to be 100% valid. I have my doubts that Tlaib is calling for the livestreamed executions of everyone of Jewish ancestry or whatever the gently caress blithering nonsense is coming out of the Marjorie Taylor Greene's of the world while she votes to have someone else censured for an insurrection, but it's also not going to be interpreted charitably by someone that just had their family killed by Hamas.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Gotta find a way to get a whole lot of the electorate just as anti-Israel Mustang. It's not a good thing that they're not, but it is a real thing. One that seems to be changing but much slower than I'd like unfortunately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Those kids might, pretty accurately, believe they're being presented with the choice between starving to death while seeing their family be bombed into a red mist and going out in a blaze of glory while taking out an invader.

Of course, thinking it through for a second while I type that, I'm operating on the assumption that their family has not already been bombed into a red mist and am probably wrong on that point given what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

When staff officers get the JLOTS familiarization class, one of the things they tell them is to really, really think about whether JLOTS is the solution to their problem, given the type of terrain it needs, planning considerations, costs, etc, and that they should definitely not think of it as some easy button if instead you can open a road or come up with a different scheme of logistics...

I guess there was no other option to get pallets and trucks into Gaza, none at all.

Well....no way that didn't involve confronting Israeli soldiers that are stopping aid convoys and right wing ideologues that are intercepting random trucks, beating the poo poo out of their drivers, and kicking the supplies in to the dirt. So they tried the easy button of an "I'm not touching you" pier. Oops.