Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're anything like me, you wish there was a space in ADTRW to talk about dubs and dub voice actors. Well, now there is! Finally, we can have riveting conversations like:
  • The Cowboy Bebop dub is pretty good, isn't it?
  • Why are all the Sentai Filmworks dubs so bad?
  • The Kaguya-sama narrator is an affront to god and man and Ian Sinclair will pay
  • The same tired, circular argument about whether dubs should even exist and their inherent inferiority, both moral and objective, to subs
  • No seriously, why are all the Sentai dubs so bad?
In all seriousness, I think it'd be nice to have a place to talk about dubs versus the original subs without it turning into, you know, dubs vs. subs. And even if it does turn into that, well, at least we're not having that conversation in the chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Baccano dub 4ever

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
g gundam dub ftmfw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

But for real, I do like attempts at covers of Japanese songs in dubs and sometimes like them better than the original (Yu Yu Hakusho for example)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sentai being modern day ADV explains a LOT about their dubs being the way they are. That said the Sentai dub of Vinland Saga season 1 is legitimately fantastic and for me personally it is a lot better than the Netflix dub. I was also happy to see that the transition to Crunchyroll kept the majority of the Sentai cast. Unfortunately with Mike Haimoto has the the sexual assault allegations against him and likely won't be back for Season 3 as Thorfinn whenever Mappa gets around to it in 2045.

Animaze was the best dubbing studio of the 90s and early 2000s and I miss them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 5, 2023

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Big O, Cowboy Bebop, ROD The TV, and Gundam Wing are the dubs I've always liked. I know people meme about General Septum, but I can't imagine the characters any other way.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Sentai just cheaps out on the dubs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1720128097453019196

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still nuts to me that Ocean wanted to dub LOGH and went so far as to produce tracks for episodes 51 and 52 as a pilot that was never picked up

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v142025789msdEXkrh

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v142025796BfyHXN9g

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's Ocean Group up to these days outside of some cartoon work? Are they out of the anime business cuz they're union and most of the work has moved south?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
texhnolyze's dub was excellent. dark souls voice direction. everyone talking like they're in a haunted library

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Favorite dub of all time, personally, is probably Steins;Gate. I'll admit it has some issues (certain aspects of certain characters, mainly Kurisu, aren't captured quite as well as in the sub; the script has a lot of now-dated references and can be a little overly florid and dense, making it hard for a new viewer to parse), but I still love it.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dongicus posted:

They call them english dubs when they are quite obviously L's

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I greatly prefer the Brian Drummond Vegeta to the Sabat Vegeta.

Shout out to G Gundam for Mark Gatha (Domon) and Dave Pettitt (Master Asia) for perfectly capturing hotblooded action. Extra points for Dave Pettitt for continuing to be Master Asia in the Dynasty Warriors Gundam game dubs.

Outlaw Star's dub is excellent but that might be nostalgia talking. Lenore Zann killed it as Aisha.

The Big O's dub is another classic. This one I'm committed to the idea that the english version has superior voicework to the japanese version.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the english dubbed version of the opening to the woman called fujiko mine is waaaaaaaaay better than the subbed version

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Outlaw Star dub is still good, I can vouch

A Boy Has The Right To Dream

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

eren's english VA post-timeskip in attack on titan is really loving good

the others are kinda hit or miss

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmBSfci0yE

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

who the gently caress gives a gently caress about pattinson when dafoe is there

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Pattinson owns

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's been waiting for like 15 years to use his hosed Up Goblin voice

Also he's the third Batman to play a main role in a Miyazaki movie

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Reminds me that Sephiroth has always been voiced by Superman.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9P2oONzkAg

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Black lagoon dub is mandatory. Only instance where it feels weird watching it with subs

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

One thing I'm always interested in is when there are multiple dubs of a single movie/show

I think the one movie that stands out for me is Patlabor 2, which is a great movie in its own right, but each language track offers up a different experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEPKcMhpHCY

Manga UK's original dub is saved by Peter Marinker having a distinct voice and solid acting who fits Goto well. It's just good casting imo, and the guy doing Arakawa does a decent job as well

Bandai's redub is largely better from most standpoints. The budget seems higher, partly because Manga's dub has the issue of multiple actors in multiple roles, sometimes within the same scene, and the script does stay more faithful to the original vision. Arakawa's voice actor is good in this one but jesus, the guy doing Goto and some of the other cast just sound...bored? I know what he's supposed to sound like in the original Japanese track, but the cast here just kind of sounds like they're going through the motions if that makes sense. The scene where the JSDF intercept Wyvern is improved here, though

Another interesting bit is when there are other subtle differences in things like music between the original Japanese track and a dub. Naoki Urasawa's Monster is a bit notorious for this, with completely different music placement in the original Japanese version versus what you would hear internationally. I know it might be sacrilegious, but after watching the series with both I gotta say sorry to the purists, I prefer the way the music is arranged in the dub. :shobon: Quite a few scenes just have more fitting music set to them, like when Tenma talks to the girl about the bird that fell out of the nest in The Girl and the Soldier, or when Gillen goes into the basement in Monsters Abyss.

Then you have the complete replacement for different reasons, like early DBZ or the drum and bass tracks for Fist of the North Star. I've got nostalgia for the former but the latter lol that has not aged well

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Also one thing I only found out relatively recently is that Ocean Studios dubbed DBZ Kai in its entirety minus The Final Chapters and is just sitting in some vault or a hard drive and will likely never see the light of day. There haven't been any takers as far as licensing, and I'd imagine that's because Funimation did a solid job and there are apparently differences in the script like pronunciations of things have been set in stone over the years by the American dub. It would probably just confuse or annoy viewers with things like Namek being Nah-mek instead of Nam-ek, even though the former is technically more faithful

It has a bunch of returning voices that would be nice to hear again, namely Scott McNeil as Piccolo, but also has a bunch of curve balls, like Richard Ian Cox (Inuyasha) as fuckin Goku which is difficult for me to imagine hearing. It's a huge project so I doubt it would be "leaked" but maybe we'll get to hear portions of it at an expo or something some day.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 6, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hey you know what idiot???? Quote is not edit 😎

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first Lupin movie (Mystery of Mamo) is real fascinating dub-wise in that it got 4 different English dubs. The first of which was a dub only intended to be shown as an in-flight movie on Japan Airlines, and of course one of the dubs uses the voice cast that were in the Part 2 tv show dub.

I'm usually not wild about Lupin dubs, though I do find it an interesting piece of history. It's rare enough to see something get two different dubs, never mind twice that!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There used to be quite a few comparison videos for Mystery of Mamo on YT but they appear to be gone. It's a shame because it's fascinating to hear all the differences, like how they renamed Fujiko to Margo in the airline dub

Also the later dub going with a George Bush Jr. impression for the President when Jigen/Goemon hear the recording between him and Mamo, lol wtf

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Also the later dub going with a George Bush Jr. impression for the President when Jigen/Goemon hear the recording between him and Mamo, lol wtf

Yeah it's real jarring when the president also has henchmen that are absolutely meant to be prominent 70s political figures, like how one of them is undoubtedly based on Kissinger.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

christian bale is also in the cast

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, there's a role in the movie played by Howl's Japanese VA and GKids decided to do that too

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

the sex ghost posted:

Black lagoon dub is mandatory. Only instance where it feels weird watching it with subs

English Revy ftw

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I greatly prefer the Brian Drummond Vegeta to the Sabat Vegeta.

:yeah:
I sincerely hate the "everybody roidy" sound of the Funi dub. Ocean's scripts sucked, but the VAs were fantastic at giving their characters unique flavor. Vegata's clippy snark and Piccolo's distantly annoyed growling were standouts, and then it all got lost to ragey rar rar VAing.

When they first switched from Ocean to Funi on American TV, my nephew mournfully yelled out, "Krillin sounds like GUMBY!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Outlaw Star's dub does still rule, can confirm. Bob Buchholz does this great line read for Gene after Aisha tries to turn into her tiger form and realizes that they're on a asteroid and has no moon so it doesn't work with: "Idiot. NOW RUN!"

Unrelated it's also true Sentai seems to have the same direction philosophy that ADV had which is mostly "louder."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stuff i find interesting with dubs is when theres lost or unaired pilots/pitches. like apparently a bunch of random precure series had dubs attempted for one or two episodes before Glitter Force happened (and then no more dubs after that)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I said it in the Gundam thread but I'll always be sad that the series didn't quite find it's footing in the US after Wing hit it big, because IIRC that affected the dub for Zeta, though the actors strike at the time certainly didn't help. Ocean went with their budget studio, Blue Water, and while it's not a terrible dub despite its reputation (for some reason??), it definitely shows in some of the supporting cast. They did well to find actors who sounded like their Ocean counterparts--imo the guy playing Amuro is an OK take on Brad Swaile's voice and voice of Char isn't as smooth as Michael Kopsa's but is still quite good.

On the other hand, there were a bunch of characters they didn't give a gently caress about casting people that sounded even remotely close to the 0079 cast lol. I know Richard Ian Cox's voice for Kai would have been hard, but they replaced him with one of the blandest voices possible. Same for Hayato who sounds so different it's jarring if you come directly from the preceding series.

The lead roles are generally decent, and it was nice to hear Kamille sounding like a proper pissed off teen, imo.

The ZZ dub is incredible as it was only produced for Southeast Asia and is a legit piece of lost media because it was only aired a few times and Sunrise subsequently buried it. Weird voices, mispronunciations all over the place (sometimes in the same scene), bad audio quality and mixing, it's a thing of beauty

Come to think of it, the Gundam shows generally have decent-to-good dubbing but the dude playing Kou in 0083??? yikes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

I said it in the Gundam thread but I'll always be sad that the series didn't quite find it's footing in the US after Wing hit it big, because IIRC that affected the dub for Zeta, though the actors strike at the time certainly didn't help. Ocean went with their budget studio, Blue Water, and while it's not a terrible dub despite its reputation (for some reason??), it definitely shows in some of the supporting cast. They did well to find actors who sounded like their Ocean counterparts--imo the guy playing Amuro is an OK take on Brad Swaile's voice and voice of Char isn't as smooth as Michael Kopsa's but is still quite good.

Ocean Group really does feel like feast or famine. Sometimes you get Black Lagoon! Sometimes you do... not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

stuff i find interesting with dubs is when theres lost or unaired pilots/pitches. like apparently a bunch of random precure series had dubs attempted for one or two episodes before Glitter Force happened (and then no more dubs after that)

I remember there being a pilot dub for either Yugioh Arc-V or Vrains not being done by 4Kids or whatever they're called now. Can't remember which company tried it, but I remember JYB being in it and it sounded pretty good despite the only video of it existing was a camcorder video.