Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Welcome to my invitation to madness and certain doom Call of Cthulhu recruitment thread! This will be my first 7th edition game (I used to run 4th edition a ton back in the day, though), and I welcome both new and experienced players to join. For totally new players, don’t worry: Chaosium’s BRP system is pretty easy to pick up and the 7th edition rules seem well thought-out.

I am looking for 3 to 4 players who can post regularly (at least every other day). Currently I just plan to use forum PBP and PMs for posting, and Orokos for rolling dice, but might incorporate Roll20 at some point.

The scenario I’m running centers around a high-profile abduction of a minor. PCs will be part of a joint federal-local task force, either as law enforcement or as an expert or consultant with reason to be called in. PCs don’t have to be from the same agency: an FBI special agent, Texas Ranger, and a civilian expert on ritual and occult-related crimes are just as valid as everyone playing county deputy sheriffs. (While this is a one-shot, surviving PCs can continue over to other scenarios.)

If you are interested, please create a PC with the following guidelines:
  • Setting info: San Antonio, Texas, in April 2016. The Greater San Antonio metropolitan area is the third largest in Texas, with eight counties and encompassing many unincorporated and incorporated areas. The city itself is in central Texas, roughly 75 miles south of the capital Austin.
  • State and local law enforcement agencies include the San Antonio Police Department, Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Highway Patrol, and Texas Rangers (last two have state-wide jurisdiction).
  • The most relevant federal agency would be the FBI.
  • You can choose between Options 3 and 4 to generate your character (i.e., five 3d6 rolls+three 2d6+6, then place wherever you want and multiply by 5, or else 460 points to divvy up as you like).
  • Please don't neglect the Backstory part of character creation! Also, please also note any immediate family members (parents and siblings, if any).
  • edit: The Dhole’s House has a handy character creation and storage tool, though you do need to register an account. Chaosium has an autofill PDF sheet for download here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I’m interested in this! :cthulhu:

Will try to make a character and post it later today.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I am extremely interested in this! I haven't played CoC in like 10 years but I'll try to put together a character tonight/tomorrow.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm interested haven't played CofC since like 1992. So I'm excited.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
If anyone wants any help with making up characters, happy to help!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Quick update, I've made a character using the point buy method with the generator found on The Dhole's House link from the OP but so far I haven't completed the backstory.

Just a question as someone who isn't from the US - how familiar would you need to be with the particulars of US law enforcement if you want to play, say, a police investigator?

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 29, 2023

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

tentatively interested in this? never played, but i am posting sight unseen. time to do some readin

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Comrade Koba posted:

Just a question as someone who isn't from the US - how familiar would you need to be with the particulars of US law enforcement if you want to play, say, a police investigator?

No particularly in-depth knowledge: some sense of how police generally work and some idea of US police from movies or TV would be fine. I plan to mention if there’s any obvious next step or procedure the Investigators would know that players might not, as well as anything a PC Investigator would know isn’t permitted.

Also, the cool thing about 7th edition is that PCs can make an Idea roll when stymied and not sure how to continue the investigation. Even a failure will still get the investigation back on-track (albeit with consequences).

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I've been super busy but I threw together the start of a character sheet. Still working on the important parts (background, etc) but do the numbers look good?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Still haven't finished the backstory either, but here's my sheet at least:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Radio! posted:

I've been super busy but I threw together the start of a character sheet. Still working on the important parts (background, etc) but do the numbers look good?

Looks fine to me, looking forward to the background.

Comrade Koba posted:

Still haven't finished the backstory either, but here's my sheet at least:

EDU should be 65, but otherwise same: looks good.