Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

AndrewP posted:

yesss. glad to see this coming back around. I understand the devaluation of running backs, you really can get good ones on the cheap. but linebackers? you can barely get a good one in the first round, and they're gonna take like two years to really understand how to play what might be the most difficult position on the defense. every good OC knows how to put bad linebackers in hell.

Part of me is sad that Chris Borland didn't get a chance to be a part of this year's Niners squad, because he was *scary* good as a ILB right out of college. I absolutely respected his decision to hang it up and walk away before his brains turned into a melted It's It.

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Todd Monken is a clever coach. This was a neat sequence in the Ravens' first drive:

Wheel route to Justice Hill (43). TE Isaiah Likely basically sets a pick on the linebacker Riley which springs Hill up the sideline for a nice game. Except it gets called for pass interference - Likely is too big, too obvious about it. But it did work.

Later in the drive Monken goes back to it, except this time WR Rashod Bateman sets the pick. Bateman's a little smaller, has a little more finesse about it...

No call, touchdown.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Simplex posted:

One of the things I noticed a few years back with Tua, is that in college he would take really deep drops on most pass plays, as Bama was mostly unconcerned with getting beaten around the edge. But he was really struggling with short sets in the NFL. I wonder if that's the major issue with Bryce Young. He's uncomfortable with short sets, and NFL edge rushers will get to you if you drop deep all the time.

Short sets are fine for a QB if you can keep it clean on the interior line, if that interior line is getting wrecked it won't work. Reich ran a lot of short sets and perimeter screens early and the biggest issue was there just ended up being this muddle of guys in the middle because both our presumptive starting guards went down in preseason. The change to Zone blocking didn't help either as in the running game guys were routinely getting tackled for loss in the interior. When they went back to a power gap scheme they were able to affect the rush a lot more.

Against Green Bay and Atlanta their interior rush didn't do much of anything all day and Bryce could work cleanly. Jacksonville's defensive line and a couple of injuries meant we got our poo poo wrecked in the middle all day and the game was an abject disaster. Bryce works best in rhythm, let him run muddle huddle bullshit and protect in the middle, but the team just hasn't been able to do much of that because of the wholesale issues, but when they have its been when the team's looked the most functional.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, if you look at the rest of the top 10 RB's by APY it's a laundry list of injured, bad or guys producing averagely on middling offenses.

Sadly, don't pay running backs continues to be the correct approach.

Yeah I don't like getting too much into the statistics of it all but the only thing that matters for offensive success from the RB position over a long period, is receiving efficency and pass protection. Turns out you can have an amazing running game by having a platoon of guys, including wide receivers, full backs and running backs, poo poo even tight ends I guess, just platooning the RB position and be fine but if you want an elite offense you need a back who can catch and pass protect and CMC is that for sure.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

monday night monken

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

Todd Monken is a clever coach. This was a neat sequence in the Ravens' first drive:

Wheel route to Justice Hill (43). TE Isaiah Likely basically sets a pick on the linebacker Riley which springs Hill up the sideline for a nice game. Except it gets called for pass interference - Likely is too big, too obvious about it. But it did work.

Later in the drive Monken goes back to it, except this time WR Rashod Bateman sets the pick. Bateman's a little smaller, has a little more finesse about it...

No call, touchdown.

I still wish he'd quit it with the WR screens. But ultimately he's not the disaster I thought he'd be. I guess there was nowhere to go but up from Roman.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

AndrewP posted:

No call, touchdown.

This is the Ravens content I crave

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Professor Moriarty posted:

Part of me is sad that Chris Borland didn't get a chance to be a part of this year's Niners squad, because he was *scary* good as a ILB right out of college. I absolutely respected his decision to hang it up and walk away before his brains turned into a melted It's It.

Chris Borland is the Niner's Brian Urlacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MrLogan posted:

Chris Borland is the Niner's Brian Urlacher.

Borland was good, though :confused: