Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
2023 has been a year with a lot of yuri shows which I appreciate, but sadly few of them truly resonated with me in practice. Thinking about my votes I considered shouting out Skip & Loafer, which is a lovely and colourful show but has the distinct issue of ending before the source material gets really good. But it's moot anyway, because in my view there's only one show deserving the title of AotY, and that's BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!

A fantastic piece of animation that hit me in a way few things have. I've written at length in the summer seasonal thread about why I love it so much and the only part of my assessment that has changed since is that it's not just a top 5 anime for me, but would be my favourite anime period if it wasn't for Madoka Magica Rebellion. It's really something special.

Edit: Oh right, Volicia of Pluto was this year too! I suppose it doesn't qualify for votes given it was a one-person student project uploaded to youtube, but I still want to shout it out because it left a strong impression on me and is genuinely cooler than most of the professionally produced stuff I've seen this year. A mecha yuri filtering a high school setting through the desolate aesthetics of Armored Core before veering off in an absolutely wild direction, the kind of thing that can only be someone's passion project. Sadly the official upload is no longer available, but it should still be possible to track down.

Terry van Feleday fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU