Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

05.5) mega man x 4 (ps1, 100% with zero)

zero's cool and most of his moves are fun but he kinda gets hosed over by how many iframes all the bosses have worse than x does. still it's cool they fully fleshed him out and made him his own character here instead of just being x with a sword swipe after his charge shot. probably gonna play x5 because it'll be funny then stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

1. robocop: rogue city

fun mid-budget game with a lot of love for the film. peter weller and the extensive customization for the auto9 really make this.

thanks to dendy, for good sig

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

bloodstained ftw

this

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
mmx2 and smrpg

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

06) mega man x 5 (ps1, all hearts, subtanks, and armor upgrades with x)

this is the only megaman game one of my friends as a kid had so i have nostalgia for it despite retaining basically no knowledge of the details of it. went in wanting to be a contrarian and like it, but it's basically indefensible lol. it has some Ideas but they're all executed incredibly strangely and not explained adequately or at all, and it's all weighed down by some truly awful stage and boss design (on top of it retaining the x4 problem of the bosses having too many iframes). it's kinda neat that you start out with x4's upgraded armor even though they nerfed plasma shot. falcon armor's kiiiinda cool but underpowered feeling and gaea armor is mostly terrible. i wish the ultimate armor was like a combination of the strengths of both new armors instead of literally just the cheat code armor from x4. and on top of all this you get interrupted every 10 seconds by a tutorial character telling you to jump on the platforms. It's Bad. best boss music in the series though. anyway i'm done playing mega man x games

1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 > I Do Not Wish To Play The Rest Of This Series

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 8, 2024

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
agreed on the maverick theme being the best in the series, and the theme for the zero virus stage is godly.. i like the apocalyptic vibe full of finality, especially if zero dies, and its a shame the game itself isnt up to snuff. gently caress alia, too.

anyway never play x6 cause if you thought this was bad you aint seen nothing yet. incredible soundtrack in that one too, tho.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ArfJason posted:

agreed on the maverick theme being the best in the series, and the theme for the zero virus stage is godly.. i like the apocalyptic vibe full of finality, especially if zero dies, and its a shame the game itself isnt up to snuff. gently caress alia, too.

anyway never play x6 cause if you thought this was bad you aint seen nothing yet. incredible soundtrack in that one too, tho.

oh yeah im aware it gets worse somehow lol. stoppin here for a reason

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Despite being iffy on 2 and what I played of 3 I kinda want to see the rest now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've actually never played an X game beyond 3 but I might check out 4 if it's good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've played them all for at least an hour. I recommend checking out 6 7 8 just because they're insane. Don't spend money on that trash though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i'll play x6 in 4 years when it's the game club 2028 january pick

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

06) mega man x 5 (ps1, all hearts, subtanks, and armor upgrades with x)

this is the only megaman game one of my friends as a kid had so i have nostalgia for it despite retaining basically no knowledge of the details of it. went in wanting to be a contrarian and like it, but it's basically indefensible lol. it has some Ideas but they're all executed incredibly strangely and not explained adequately or at all, and it's all weighed down by some truly awful stage and boss design (on top of it retaining the x4 problem of the bosses having too many iframes). it's kinda neat that you start out with x4's upgraded armor even though they nerfed plasma shot. falcon armor's kiiiinda cool but underpowered feeling and gaea armor is mostly terrible. i wish the ultimate armor was like a combination of the strengths of both new armors instead of literally just the cheat code armor from x4. and on top of all this you get interrupted every 10 seconds by a tutorial character telling you to jump on the platforms. It's Bad. best boss music in the series though. anyway i'm done playing mega man x games

1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 > I Do Not Wish To Play The Rest Of This Series

respect for seeing it through, rest easy knowing that they somehow get so much worse.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
X4 is in my humblest of humble opinions, the best in the series. Its only sin is being more or less so easy you can sleepwalk through it, amd of course the stupid story and epic va. Sad, it could have been ok with some slight changes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've actually never played an X game beyond 3 but I might check out 4 if it's good

4 whips rear end imo.

X1>X4>X2>X3>the rest

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

x6 is one of th worst games i've ever played and hell I hear 8 is worse. maybe 7 too lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

x6 is one of th worst games i've ever played and hell I hear 8 is worse. maybe 7 too lol

7 and 8 are the best evidence that firing that dude before legends 3 came out was the right choice.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I mention it often but x6 was one of the first times i was taught that videogames could be bad even from a series i like.

----------------

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Like as a kid you cant put to words or qualify what exactly makes for a Bad Videogame since youre just taken in by the playable cartoon on your tv, but x6 was like figuring out a tough crossowrd clue, suddenly everything clicked and the rest of the puzzle flowed out naturally. Its all so clear now; Videogames can suck dick

----------------

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

that was yoshis story for me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think the first time I really realized games can be bad was when I got the Great Waldo Search for Genesis as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wFrCu2ssM

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Man, gently caress Yoshi's Story.

----------------

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

YUP

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

same, wth an honorable mention to quest 64

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man n64 kicked rear end but there were some insane fuckin duds

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The funny thing is that Quest 64 might not even be the worst RPG on the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZH2zMoJm_k

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i wasnt hype for quest 64 so it didnt disappoint me the way yoshis story did. i rented it multiple times for some reason probably because it was so weird and confusing

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

aidyn chronicles ws the first game I remember reading a preview and thinking that it looked like dogshit lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Leadthumb posted:

4 whips rear end imo.

X1>X4>X2>X3>the rest

ArfJason posted:

I mention it often but x6 was one of the first times i was taught that videogames could be bad even from a series i like.

ArfJason posted:

Man, gently caress Yoshi's Story.

Fungah! posted:

same, wth an honorable mention to quest 64

yup, all this

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i was so insanely hyped that there was finally going to be an RPG on the N64. load up the game and the main character is named loving Brian.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

tmfc posted:

i was so insanely hyped that there was finally going to be an RPG on the N64. load up the game and the main character is named loving Brian.

lmao i forgot about this. the magic system being c-button combos magicka style is cool but man, that has to be one of the worst games ever on one of the worst systems ever, congrats imagineer.

lmao NO THABNKS

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

n64 kicked rear end, th gently caress you talkin about

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The n64 sucked rear end.

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

no loving way

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

n64 had like 20+ all-timers nd a bunch of good poo poo, obvs psx was better but n64 still rules

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

oh yeah? you play goldenye lately?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I loved the 64, LOVED it. But nothing on there stands the test of time except like mario 64, starfox and ocarina. maybe I'm forgetting some but that says something.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
N64 is win provided you only play nintendo developed games, turok 2, golden-eye, and perfect dark.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

oh yeah? you play goldenye lately?

kicked rear end in 99

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

turok 2 and rage wars are based, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

okay, also majora's mask and bomberman, f-zero x and wave race. gently caress!