Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm kinda confused that anything other than the moment magnitude scale is still being referenced by news outlets in 2023, but to actually read "Richter scale" is a certified mindfuck.

/Edit: lol nevermind, it's 2024

Happy new year, y'all :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Our December was the 15th consecutive December with "unusually high average temperature" as per our federal department of metereology or whatever, and is among the top-eight warmest recorded Decembers since the beginning of records since 1881.
The mean temperature was 3.9°C/7°F above normal

Southern Germany just gettin' a lil crispy, nbd
:tif:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Jesus Christ, I read that "after collision with coast guard aircraft" as in-flight accident/crash with loss of all souls.

Plane was evacuated, only minor injuries, coast guard crew all unaccounted for unfortunately :smith:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tythas posted:

Here's hoping they find the coast guard aircraft and it's crew (hopefully alive)

this NHK link has video of the incident https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240102_302/

If they haven't found them by now, I strongly doubt they survived, the CG aircraft was completely obliterated by the airliner on the runway from what it looks like

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

In German news: farmers mad
Why farmers mad? Because they're going to be losing agricultural diesel subsidies (slowly and over time)
What farmers do? Block traffic

Public reaction: So brave, ARE HEROES :swoon:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-farmers-block-roads-highway-ramps-protest-subsidy-cuts-2024-01-08/

Quick callback to last year: "Last generation" protesters mad
Why protesters mad? Because we're loving up the planet for literally everyone
What protesters do? Block traffic

Public reaction: T̵̡̬͙̰̝̥̩̭̄̑͗̽͘O̶̧̜͔̣̓́̄̎̽̒͗̔Ŕ̸̢͌́T̴̡̛̖̝̞̝͕̀̆̾̚Ư̸͎̠̹̈́͋̊̇̆͠͠R̴̼̱̹̤͙͆̋̐̇̈́È̴̡̲̟̻̗̐ ̷̮̿̏͂̔̀͝Ṭ̸̘̦͎̑͌͑̚Ḩ̴̳̩̮̒́̄̽̽̐͜͜E̷͉̮͐̉M̵̲͇͎͓̂̍͠ ̴̡̨̪͓̆̃̓̇̚Ǎ̴͔̤̠̻̞ͅN̶̨̗̤͎͐̐̈́́͝D̴̢̜̠͙̮͑͗ͅ ̴͙̇̇͑͂̇͠M̴̙̦͚̜͑͊͌̈́͜͜U̶̼̦̰͚͚̐̂͌̆̎͛̕Ŗ̸̪͔̹̥̼̺̓̾͋̐͝Ḑ̸͎͔͚̝̊͑͒̈̌E̴̛̛̖̪͍͚͖͈̳̿̒͆̇̐̚ͅR̴̢̳̠͚͌̎̽́̾͘ ̸̤̺̓̀̽͋̊̓͝T̵́͒̀̋̅̾̈́͜͝Ḧ̵̗̰̝́̔̄͂̏̆͘E̸̼̬͎̗̘̼͎̺͒̅Ȋ̶͙͔̰̙̰̎͛̿̚ͅR̴̢̢̢͓̼̹̮̬̓́͆͝ ̴̺̲͎͖̬̥̿́͋̉́͗͊F̷̢̮͍̦̔̾͝͝A̸̰͙̾M̷̢̨͖̮̫̞͙͈̔̆͌Ǐ̶͉̝͕̐͝L̴̩̤̤͎̬̻̀I̸̟̪̲͓͔̟͇̩͘È̶͙̬̤̪͈̱͊̎̉̊Ś̸̗̲̼̜͈͓̩̈̊́̄̏͘ :unsmigghh:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Swifties are unironically better at finding people than actual law enforcement. Mostly because they’re actually interested/motivated to do so :v:

I'm sure the Swifties are pretty fanatical, but the Barbs are currently on a mass-doxxing campaign because another rapper said something mean about Nicky Minaj in a track.

Now, if we could get Trump to shittalk BTS, Blackpink, and Twice, I'd wager the Blinks, Once and whatever BTS fans call themselves would just turn the 2024 election into a foregone conclusion.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Isn't it also arguably not slacktivism if it is effective or reaches an intended outcome or goal?

Like, I could roughly see the term applied to folks sitting on their rear end flooding right wing hashtags, but ultimately, those hashtags end up defunct re: their original purpose and the original intention behind them is defeated, so the original connotation of the term slacktivism doesn't really apply.
Different example, Kpop fans from around the world flooded some Trump rally's registration several years back, causing him to boast and run his mouth, only to speak in front of a largely empty venue and being thoroughly embarrassed. The majority of the folks behind the effort had no way to make a difference in person, so sitting on their rear end and using social media to attempt to make a change can't really be called slacktivism either, I'd say.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Sarah posted:

I’m highly offended you left out Stays. Going to start a campaign now to bring GiP down.

I'll have to check with the Bunnies whether I can afford to apologize to you without ending up in a two-front war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I don't even know how to respond anymore