Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I barely have any trash anymore since I started composting. Bonus is also the trash barely smells like anything, since it's mostly just unrecyclable plastic and dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Final update: recycling has been picked up.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Final update: recycling has been picked up.

thanks for circling back on this one :thanks:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
When I told my wife about this thread she went "Garbage men? You mean your ENTIRE GENDER?" Then she went for a high five, but I refused and told her she needs more female friends to joke with.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i've never seen the movie where the guy yells "garbage day" and then shoots another guy who's taking out some trash but apparently its a goon classic

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Earwicker posted:

i've never seen the movie where the guy yells "garbage day" and then shoots another guy who's taking out some trash but apparently its a goon classic

The dude’s eyebrows are an actor unto themselves.

Like watching eyebrows perform an interpretative dance of the Konami code.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Earwicker posted:

Much like how I cannot get a haircut without thinking about the hit 2007?8? YouTube of My New Haircut, the Garbage Day clip is something I still think about every time I perform said menial task and likely will for my entire life for some reason

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F872Yvuad0M

five past the hour is when the good poo poo starts

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nooner posted:

Much like how I cannot get a haircut without thinking about the hit 2007?8? YouTube of My New Haircut, the Garbage Day clip is something I still think about every time I perform said menial task and likely will for my entire life for some reason

same

but is there any reason to watch the rest of the movie? i dont even remember what it is

edit: well nevermind lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Nooner posted:

So Monday was a holiday so all garbage collection gets pushed a day back, but doesn't that just mean that they gotta work on a Saturday because they didn't work Monday so really it isn't like they actually get a day off?

Or are people who had Friday morning pickups just hosed and gotta wait an extra week?

How does this work???

It's like the Purge except for sanitation workers. Absolute lawlessness

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 17, 2024

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

MoonshineWilly posted:

My trash collector solved this problem by getting bought out by a waste management conglomerate in Texas and just not picking up the trash anymore, which saved them a lot of time and money. The local paper suggested residents fill out a complaint with the state attorney general, which I did. Trash pickup was then hit or Miss for about a month, at which point I received a reply letter from the state saying they looked into it and couldn’t do anything about it. lol

Waste Management in our town has cameras on the trucks that monitor your cans as the trash is collected. If you can't close the lid, they send you a photo of your can, with a nasty note about overloading the can and how hazardous it is for the guy who drives the truck. They sent me a picture of my "Badly Overloaded" recycling bin, which was loaded with several large pieces of styrofoam so the lid would not close. They threatened to impose a fine if i continued to overload the bin. They said it could be a hazard to the driver, and could spread disease. Who knew that 5 pounds of styrofoam could be so dangerous to handle.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It's like the Purge except for sanitation workers. Absolute lawlessness

This is pretty good stuff, but we might be able to pump fatalities if we introduce AI.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

bradzilla posted:

Trash freezes in the winter op
I'm in southern CA so it most definitely does not, unfortunately

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Dixville posted:

I'm in southern CA so it most definitely does not, unfortunately

I feel sorry for those of you without proper seasons. You don't get to feel the rhythm of nature. Here in Chicago, you know spring is upon you when the ice and snow on the grass near your apartment melts, revealing all the dog/hobo poo poo and trash.

The best part is you don't have to clean any of it up, because it all forms into humanoid shapes and BECOMES OUR POLITICIANS!

I told my wife what i just wrote and tried to get her to high five me, but she wouldn't. I deeply regret how I handled our last interaction.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Bookmarking this thread since it's been something I've always wanted to know but never bothered to ask the garbage men when they pass by. It's like delivery drivers. You just make awkward eye contact and close the blinds until they leave.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
We've had some brutal cold in the plains and apparently it fucks with both the diesel and the hydraulics of the trash truck fleet. According to local news the "solution" is to just idle all the trucks overnight so they don't freeze up.

Anyway the real answer is apparently they just work OT/weekends until they catch up on their routes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They should combine the garbage man and the mail man. He could recycle the grocery store flyers right on the spot.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
As a former postal worker, half of the things in our vans are trash anyway so that tracks.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
"Happy trash day, Harry."

Jan 21, 2024
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 21, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

There are guys that will pick it up and throw it in a pond or creek for far cheaper than renting a bin

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My city’s landfill has literally (not a joke it really is) been on fire for four days now. And somehow the fire is oriented so that it’s not feasible to put it out so they’re just going to let it burn. Yesterday morning I couldn’t see the end of my block for the smoke.

Imagine the fine I would get if I burned a pile of trash in my backyard for half a week.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's the 'let someone else take care of it' mentality.

But when to try to do it yourself, you get busted.

4 days?! Crazy. Call your governor, if you trust them to care.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Your city officials have your best interests at heart, trust them

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
"Well there a process to go through first"

gently caress your process it's obviously not working.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Our street plays musical recycle bins every time it’s a lil windy. No one knows who’s belongs to who, you just make sure to grab 1 from somewhere when you need it. One of them is all taped up from being run over so much and I hate the weeks I get stuck with that one because it always needs more tape.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

They should combine the garbage man and the mail man. He could recycle the grocery store flyers right on the spot.

I tried to put a bin right under my mailbox for "trash", even put some seed sales papers in there so they'd get the message. it didn't work.

I respect our USPS (not that one bozo) and I'm sure legally they have to put everything in the mailbox, but it sucks.

i've stopped my mail for like 2 weeks when I was out of town for 4 days, and just dealt with it all in a bundle.

LuckyCat posted:

Our street plays musical recycle bins every time it’s a lil windy. No one knows who’s belongs to who, you just make sure to grab 1 from somewhere when you need it. One of them is all taped up from being run over so much and I hate the weeks I get stuck with that one because it always needs more tape.

lol, I had an extra one one day because of the wind. I moved it in front of the neighbors yard, who moved it back to mine. I moved it to the other neighbor's and i never saw it again

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

blight rhino posted:

I tried to put a bin right under my mailbox for "trash", even put some seed sales papers in there so they'd get the message. it didn't work.

I respect our USPS (not that one bozo) and I'm sure legally they have to put everything in the mailbox, but it sucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MoonshineWilly posted:

My trash collector solved this problem by getting bought out by a waste management conglomerate in Texas and just not picking up the trash anymore, which saved them a lot of time and money. The local paper suggested residents fill out a complaint with the state attorney general, which I did. Trash pickup was then hit or Miss for about a month, at which point I received a reply letter from the state saying they looked into it and couldn’t do anything about it. lol

Lol and I thought the trash mountain and trash island they built in my town were bad

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I quit USPS because people got real mean. Left thier dogs out all day too.

Do you want your mail or not? I don't have any treats, but I have pepper spray.

'Oh he's friendly'

He biting me, get a leash or I have to kick him.

I don't want to, but I will. GET YOUR drat DOG OR YOU DONT GET YOUR MAIL.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
3 different dogs.

You've never lived until you've been chased by a Rottie through snow, and all you have is your mail bag. Your supposed to use it for defense. Doesn't work.

I like dogs but next one that bites me gets Mario Stomped.

I used to raise Shepherds man, gently caress your lovely untrained dogs.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

I feel sorry for those of you without proper seasons. You don't get to feel the rhythm of nature. Here in Chicago, you know spring is upon you when the ice and snow on the grass near your apartment melts, revealing all the dog/hobo poo poo and trash.

The best part is you don't have to clean any of it up, because it all forms into humanoid shapes and BECOMES OUR POLITICIANS!

I told my wife what i just wrote and tried to get her to high five me, but she wouldn't. I deeply regret how I handled our last interaction.

my first year in chicago the snow melted to reveal a perfectly fine little mini bong that i cleaned up real good and used for a bit. magical city.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Here's your Amazon package and your Bischon.

I'm marking you down as 'do not deliver'

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Treecko posted:

I quit USPS because people got real mean. Left thier dogs out all day too.

Do you want your mail or not? I don't have any treats, but I have pepper spray.

'Oh he's friendly'

He biting me, get a leash or I have to kick him.

I don't want to, but I will. GET YOUR drat DOG OR YOU DONT GET YOUR MAIL.

I've had that experience. Snarling dog off leash baring its teeth at me and the baby "HE'S FRIENDLY HE'S FRIENDLY!!!" Yeah, real friendly. Like it's my postures fault that your dog is a piece of poo poo.

We were in China last year, tons of wild dogs, all over the place. Rarely heard a bark. Better behaved than the "furry members of the family" that the dimwits here are walking around with here.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's crazy how people think a dog is just like a human.

I appreciate that they do their jobs when they're shown how to

But if you don't do the work and training, they will.

That's part of the appeal I guess.

But they're dangerous and half the people I interacted with didn't even know if they were vaccinated.

Ok great now I have to get all my shots at once

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I like kitties better. Dogs are ok.

But most dog owners are a bunch of fuckin cunts.

MY DOG is a GOOD DOG!!!!

My dad is old and somewhat frail. Some rear end in a top hat dog came running up and jumped up on him. Didn't bite him, but knocked him down and he hosed his head up on some gravel. BUT ITS OK BECAUSE THE DOG DIDN'T BITE HIM, THEREFORE THE DOG DIDN'T HURT HIM AND ITS NOT MY FAULT OR THE DOGS FAULT!!

Owners took off without even asking my dad if he was ok.

Fuckin coward rear end cunts. I hope them and their dog burn to death.

If a dog bites me, I'll bite its ears off.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
what a bunch of JERKS!!!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I don't want to kick your dog. Keep it on a leash please.

My shepherd went for people trying to ride bikes.

I put a muzzle and a 2 handed leash on him.

Definitely not friendly. But I always made sure he was always in my control.

Police dogs, ugh.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AI Drone Trashbots are gonna put garbage men out of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sometimes you'll just get knocked down stairs by a Labrador.

Sorry about your dad, head injury are hard to deal with