Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

you hear about this? apple got sick of paying data center bills or something; realized that there’s tons of people who subscribe to podcasts and then never listen to them again; then, did the sensible thing and turned off automatic downloads for those people

oh, and also advertising industry lobbyists have been cajoling this up for years. seems they were worried about overpaying the talent

turns out they’re right. podcast superstars are seeing double digit dips in percentages. and the little guys? podcasting into the void

addendum: some sage advice? or perhaps just a weird angry goon rant? added to the OP per request
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Bad Purchase posted:

just a reminder for folks: do not, under any circumstances, listen to a podcast
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Are podcasts cool or UNcool with the kids these days?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Thesaurus posted:

depends on how their family celebrates jan 6th

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i got a void they can cast in

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

I hear the kids trade Silly Bandz with each other to show off how many podcasts they're subscribed to.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

TrashMammal posted:

you hear about this? apple got sick of paying data center bills or something; realized that there’s tons of people who subscribe to podcasts and then never listen to them again; then, did the sensible thing and turned off automatic downloads for those people

oh, and also advertising industry lobbyists have been cajoling this up for years. seems they were worried about overpaying the talent

turns out they’re right. podcast superstars are seeing double digit dips in percentages. and the little guys? podcasting into the void
is this a cumtown thread?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I never cared for podcasts. The few I actually listened to I dropped after a few episodes.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

prior to the debut of one of his operas, Jean Baptiste Lully (1632-1687) reputedly kicked one of his lead singers in the stomach to try to force a miscarriage because he couldn't be bothered to recast the role

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

put on some music like an adult

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I don’t have auto downloading on. Wasteful! Never used to have all those megabytes. Never know when the big data dustbowl will come sweep them away. And I’ll be fine.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

The second wave of podcasts seems to have saturated and is rolling back now, there just aren't enough lurid murders to keep the True Crime beast lumbering so a lot of those creators moved to reactions of current event crimes and court TV and poo poo.

As a format, I love it for gaming, but the game has to match it, otherwise it's just an irritating background thing you can't even focus on or learn anything from. There are tons of great series and historical poo poo though if you have that kind of nerd brain.

Another component is probably just people choosing to do it on Youtube instead, because they have the option to either do video or not whenever to their audience (no need to rebuild), and people can just listen along with content with static images or basic visuals if that's their jam.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

more like pudcasting

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

dudcasting :dudsmile:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

great username posted:

The second wave of podcasts seems to have saturated and is rolling back now, there just aren't enough lurid murders to keep the True Crime beast lumbering so a lot of those creators moved to reactions of current event crimes and court TV and poo poo.

As a format, I love it for gaming, but the game has to match it, otherwise it's just an irritating background thing you can't even focus on or learn anything from. There are tons of great series and historical poo poo though if you have that kind of nerd brain.

Another component is probably just people choosing to do it on Youtube instead, because they have the option to either do video or not whenever to their audience (no need to rebuild), and people can just listen along with content with static images or basic visuals if that's their jam.

Podcast for gaming?

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Podcast for gaming?

As background audio, if the game doesn't have much going on in the sound department. Dual media input!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

when did this happen? im one of the little guys, my numbers suck but they aren't sucking any more this month than usual, in fact they went up a tiny bit :confused:

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
the only podcast i know about is mbmbam

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redm posted:

the only podcast i know about is mbmbam

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

podcasts suck anyhow.

every podcaster thinks they're gonna be ira glass but ends up being annoying person next to you on a bus in a traffic jam.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

mostly 'the adventure zone' which i consider a mbmbam miniseries

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Those guys are so loving obnoxious.

Their fanbase is also weirdly rabid.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
listening to obnoxious people play d&d with their father helps me fall asleep

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Podcasts are like having friends that don't talk to you

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
i mean nooo they arent obnoxious booo wahh grr

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redm posted:

i mean nooo they arent obnoxious booo wahh grr

How many pictures of the baby macelroy do you have hung up in your room

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Podcasts are rear end from a butt for people with no friends.

Have a conversation with a human for real ya loving nerd

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Also this a new duck and cover alt???

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Smugworth posted:

How many pictures of the baby macelroy do you have hung up in your room
of course i know you mean travis as i am an expert on this subject and the number is too many

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Saalkin posted:

Everybody puts their earbuds in when you come around because they don't want to talk to you

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
getting into a fight about cringe podcasters - now thats the poo poo that is so good to me. noice

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Everybody puts their earbuds in when you come around because they don't want to talk to you

Wish putting in my earbuds would have the same affect on your posting

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Pod racing on the other hand remains popular

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

Wish putting in my earbuds would have the same affect on your posting

That’s what eyebuds are for

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

audiobooks are way overpriced, i have a low iq, and im lonely. i enjoy some podcasts and im sorry.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

never auto downloaded them tho thats some sick poo poo for perverts.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That’s what eyebuds are for

Lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

flubber nuts posted:

audiobooks are way overpriced, i have a low iq, and im lonely. i enjoy some podcasts and im sorry.

If u get a library card a lot of libraries have a platform to checkout audiobooks now

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Staying silent as I am not a podcaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

First they came for the podcasters, and I said nothing, for I was not a podcaster. :baduk: