Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah, that seems to be a consensus. I know the pros have been complaining about this, I think they said it was oppressive, and that really is how it feels. Constant blowout victories, always be attacking because you don't want to get stuck in defense, constant pressure into 50/50. Like you said it's pretty universal criticism, so I have hope they'll dial it back.

It is an even number Tekken though, they'll probably figure it out for 9 and have another classic like 3, 5 and 7. 4, 6 and 8 will just be the weird ones where they strayed a little too far from what works.

I'm just bitchy because my Reina is hard stuck in Bushin. I legit do feel that matches in 8 make me way more stressed and unhappy than 7 though.

The pros like Arslan were complaining until they adapted and started winning again.

The old games are still there for people who like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After knee's pessimism, Arslan has also gone on record saying that he thinks the game is viable again. He just did win a tournament at the time though (a local hosted at a california state college lol)

Like I'm not gonna dispute that there's problems with the game and it's certainly a factor that T8 is currently not designed for the style that was late-stage high level Tekken 7 play, but I was always a bit leery of taking Arslan's complaints too seriously given they really seemed to ramp up around the time he got 33rd in a Saudi tournament.

PhiDX did a commentary of the replay on that match and honestly it mostly just came down to movement and basic fundamentals, not "heat power crush go brrrr".

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Pros aren’t immune from poo poo takes lol. I don’t know nearly enough about Tekken to know how much credibility to give any given take I just have my own experience and iffy/lovely play to work off, but there’s a long and storied history of FGC top level players saying astonishingly stupid poo poo.

Bit off topic but tbh I feel like a lot of the time, I think people lend too much cred to high-level players in fighting games, and sometimes in games generally, and I think that focus almost always hurts games with a competitive component. I can’t think of any experience where disregarding 99% of the audience would improve it.

I’m not saying top-level players don’t have a valuable perspective, fwiw, just that it is by definition very different and narrow.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This is also the most a tekken game has changed since 3 to 4, people were always going to have Opinions

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i think it has some Big Fat Issues around heat and i'm really annoyed at relatively simple things to fix like forcing ft2 in quickplay or spectating still being hosed outside of fight lounge, but it's still probably the least broken 1.0 tekken release in history. i think a huge part of the problem is that tekken 7 was a massive worldwide phenomenon by the end and just being the least broken 1.0 tekken release is way too low a bar to clear when the expectations are this high.

i don't think it's fair to pass judgement on where the game will likely rank in the series until it's had at least one big patch, but for me it's both better than I thought it was gonna be and also not polished enough to keep all the momentum from 7.

e: locking you out of your own replays because your opponent played a character you don't own is indefensible though that shits' crazy

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 26, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I am still enjoying T8, the microtransaction poo poo all sucks really bad and I was under the impression me buying 20+ characters over the course of it's lifespan would be all the additional money they would need but they see different. I am still struggling to switch my brain on Bryan from T7 to T8 and have Feng as a fallback for when I just feel like I can't get a win in this era of Hyper Aggression™, but my local scene is thriving which has me enjoying the game a lot more than 7. I think that withholding changes the game "needs" until after Evo Japan really sucks, I don't care about the integrity of the game for people with profile pictures of their arms crossed in an esports jersey but at least that is over this weekend. Fingers crossed we get Craig or AK announced though, if I can get back on my big grabby boys I will be back to playing this game every night instead of every 2-3 nights. Tekken is good.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Just thinking out loud but if T8 had a system select of either Heat or Rage at character select that could be an interesting solution.

The matches (not pro or super into this game) are literally round start heat mash, armor, armor, and then rage when you beat their trash game plan with normals and mixups.

Not the first time I’ve posted that but poo poo has not changed.

Still playing. Still loving the game. Probably cause I got a sick nacon to mash with. I tried this with Xbox controller for 5 minutes and put it down immediately.

swims fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 27, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Part of the issue with the favouring offense is it makes armour ridiculously good.

You want to be on offense, because offense is king. So you don't want to spend too much time blocking Power Crushes, because then you're on defence, and it's just a matter of time for you to guess wrong and eat 70-80. Power Crushes, however, if they land...
- Beat Highs
- Beat Mids
- Make it either Your Turn with a capital T or at worst, reset to neutral with pretty solid to frankly nutso damage.
...and if they guess the PC right, their payoff is a Low or a Throw (because again, they don't want to be blocking them, really)

This is obviously a very reductive view of a much broader conversation, but it's a bit of an unintended consequence of wanting to favour offense so strongly.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i would not mind if the concept of "safe power crush heat engager" was removed from the game. it can be safe and power crush, or be a power crush heat engager, but all three is too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Part of the issue with the favouring offense is it makes armour ridiculously good.

You want to be on offense, because offense is king. So you don't want to spend too much time blocking Power Crushes, because then you're on defence, and it's just a matter of time for you to guess wrong and eat 70-80. Power Crushes, however, if they land...
- Beat Highs
- Beat Mids
- Make it either Your Turn with a capital T or at worst, reset to neutral with pretty solid to frankly nutso damage.
...and if they guess the PC right, their payoff is a Low or a Throw (because again, they don't want to be blocking them, really)

This is obviously a very reductive view of a much broader conversation, but it's a bit of an unintended consequence of wanting to favour offense so strongly.

The generic armor moves are not that ridiculously good. They are a high commitment RPS that quickly becomes in your opponents favor if they know you are going it a lot. But a few characters have really good ones as part of their kit, generally heat engagers. But the regular armor move is not nearly as strong as you say.