Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Spamming backdash (bb, bb, bb, bb) is better than it was previously and will cover more ground quicker than it did in 7, but kbding is still faster. So you can kick the can down the road a bit and get by with regular backdashing for longer than you could in previous games, but you should probably still eventually learn to kbd. A bigger thing is when you should kbd compared to regular backdashing, because even at high levels both have their uses.

Oh no I can do it just fine, I just haven't done it for years and am gonna play some this weekend at Frosty's lol. Hopefully the muscle memory comes back a little quicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Basticle posted:

I haven't played a Tekken since the PS1 but had a lot of fun with the demo so I bought it.

Is there an equivalent to supercombo.gg for Tekken?

The Applay Spreadsheet was one of the best resources for Tekken 7 and it looks like they are going to keep things up for 8:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pockyless posted:

https://twitter.com/Fergus_TK/status/1749514580915810718?s=20

For anyone that wants a brief overview of what characters can do and their general play style.
Cool guide, though I’m hoping at launch someone just dumps a list of “here’s the 10F, here’s the launcher, here’s the poke, here’s the wall combo, here’s the sidestep check, have fun”

e:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Applay Spreadsheet was one of the best resources for Tekken 7 and it looks like they are going to keep things up for 8:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml
ahhhhhhhhhhh there we go

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't KBD for poo poo and I wish it wasn't a thing in Tekken.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Play a sway character so at least something happens when you try to kbd

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Moving is cool in tekken because you can always work on improving and it has an extremely high skill ceiling. Even just canceling backdash with side steps which is much easier than mashing kbd is highly effective. https://youtu.be/Lbm5CasGsMQ?si=jEJYGWRLL3chR4sJ

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

DeadButDelicious posted:

While I'd love Tifa as a guest character I noticed that Bryan's moniker is "The Harbinger of Chaos" and all I could think was put Jack Garland in so he can hunt Chaos.

I'm gonna be sad when this doesn't happen now

Anyway, looking forward to a new Tekken with actually functional load times and/or netcode. Gonna scrub it up probably with someone in the Asuka, Lili, Jun, Zafina, Azucena or Yoshi character subset. I think I played mainly Asuka/Lili/Master Raven in T7 before the online on that wore me down at launch and I never got back to it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I can't wait to play yoshimitsu in this

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Update your drivers! The newest AMD one had something for Tekken 8.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They edited out my favorite blurb

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Great Thread OP!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/tk_kodee/status/1749880530915688559?t=ZdYQaLs1UeE0o6oXaXD-ww&s=19

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

cheeseboy58 posted:

Great Thread OP!

Thanks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pre-load is here now

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I've been trying to do KBDs on the Tekken 8 demo on my hitbox and either it's hosed now or I suck (it's the second one). I've been trying to do what people were saying worked for Tekken 7 KBDs and that just seems like it makes me do nothing in the demo. I can wave dash forward pretty easily but yea can't backdash for poo poo. I also can't do it with a pad but I've never been able to do dash movement worth a drat on the pad so that's not surprising.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
First time I'm jumping in to Tekken. From my limited reading in to it, there isn't a big a difference between Characters as in something like SF6 in terms of achetypes. As someone who is more confident in taking time and waiting to punish and counter rather than rushing down and going on the offence, is there a particular way I should go for my first character. Feeling Leo and Jun's vibes and I think like everyone I think Reina is cool, but she looks like she's going to be the Tekken 8 Ken and also seems a little bit more difficult to start with?

Also I appreciate that the ranking percentiles may be difficult, but in terms of Tekken 7 how difficult is the trophie for ranking up to Vanquisher going to be for a beginner?

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 24, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

ChaosReaper posted:

I've been trying to do KBDs on the Tekken 8 demo on my hitbox and either it's hosed now or I suck (it's the second one). I've been trying to do what people were saying worked for Tekken 7 KBDs and that just seems like it makes me do nothing in the demo. I can wave dash forward pretty easily but yea can't backdash for poo poo. I also can't do it with a pad but I've never been able to do dash movement worth a drat on the pad so that's not surprising.

Oh a hitbox hold back then tap down then tap forward. There is a little delay between the down and the forward. If you do it too fast you won’t go anywhere.

https://www.hitboxarcade.com/blogs/hit-box/tekken-7-on-hit-box-korean-back-dash

I’m not a hitbox user but when I mess around on keyboard I do the backsway version on this page and it works for everyone.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 24, 2024

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Weasling Weasel posted:

First time I'm jumping in to Tekken. From my limited reading in to it, there isn't a big a difference between Characters as in something like SF6 in terms of achetypes. As someone who is more confident in taking time and waiting to punish and counter rather than rushing down and going on the offence, is there a particular way I should go for my first character. Feeling Leo and Jun's vibes and I think like everyone I think Reina is cool, but she looks like she's going to be the Tekken 8 Ken and also seems a little bit more difficult to start with?

Also I appreciate that the ranking percentiles may be difficult, but in terms of Tekken 7 how difficult is the trophie for ranking up to Vanquisher going to be for a beginner?
The guide on the previous page will answer these questions for you

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

AndyElusive posted:

I can't KBD for poo poo and I wish it wasn't a thing in Tekken.

With normal backdashing buffed in this game i dont think it'll be necessary to kbd until very very very high level (like tournament-tier), a lot of TGP people in tekken 7 had kbds roughly as fast as the default now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Weasling Weasel posted:

tbh she's probably significantly harder than Ken, so I expect her to be popular but not necessarily as omnipresent

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
In general you only need to backdash 2-3 times in a row. A lot of noobs put kbd as an essential technique they need to master before they can play the game but realistically it’s a skill you build up over time and use in conjunction with other pieces of movement like side step and dash block

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The only lame thing about T8 is gonna be paying for Armor King and Anna DLC the second time in a row but SF6 is doing the same with Ed and Akuma

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

DLC Inc posted:

The only lame thing about T8 is gonna be paying for Armor King and Anna DLC the second time in a row but SF6 is doing the same with Ed and Akuma

It's the right decision on their part. I wouldn't spend a dime on Nina but I'll pay whatever they're asking if they hold Anna hostage on me like that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm excited for Eddy

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Weasling Weasel posted:

As someone who is more confident in taking time and waiting to punish and counter rather than rushing down and going on the offence, is there a particular way I should go for my first character. Feeling Leo and Jun's vibes and I think like everyone I think Reina is cool, but she looks like she's going to be the Tekken 8 Ken and also seems a little bit more difficult to start with?

If you are leaning towards Leo and Jun and want punishment heavy gameplay, I would lean farther towards Jun. She has very good punishment across most frames (including the best? i10 punisher) and will reward patience and has a neat heat gimmick. RE: hitting Vanquisher, in T8 there is no ranked demotions below yellow rank and if it follows the same structure as 7 (it does, but with less ranks) then Vanquisher is just a few ranks higher than that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I pressed Jun uf1 once and thought, "yeah I could do this"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ready to play more of everybody's favorite loveable Kill-Bot Jack-8.

I am excited about that particle field and his other new robut moves as well.

Reina looks really interesting too, Friday is going to be so hype.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
If I love guile because counter play is fun, who's good to try out? Long pokes, baiting mistakes, and being a wall for someone to overcome is kind of my style.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

unattended spaghetti posted:

If I love guile because counter play is fun, who's good to try out? Long pokes, baiting mistakes, and being a wall for someone to overcome is kind of my style.

Dragunov probably? Good pokes, long limbs, great frames and not overly committal

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
They should bring Negan back to Tekken 8 because why not

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
All I want is to play my beautiful wooden boy in a new Tekken game once more. I have great memories of playing Mokujin vs Mokujin with my friends and everyone trying to yell out whose moves you had first.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Since Lei's probably not returning, guess I'll switch to Reina to scratch my bunch-of-stances-character itch.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I haven't played the demo, do you still have to BDC/KBD in T7?

I remember hearing someone mention that they'd changed the way it works so it wasn't as important anymore? I haven't played tekken in like 4 years at this point probably so I'm probably gonna have to relearn a lot of muscle memory either way

In general backdashing isnt as good as in Tekken 7 , but sidestep got a lot stronger

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
It was a sad day for me when I discovered there was a skill level to Tekken beyond learning how to powerbomb with King, or confusing people long enough to body press them with Jack-2. I realised I would never manage that. OTOH I'll get it anyway because tekken rules.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Von Linus posted:

It was a sad day for me when I discovered there was a skill level to Tekken beyond learning how to powerbomb with King, or confusing people long enough to body press them with Jack-2. I realised I would never manage that. OTOH I'll get it anyway because tekken rules.

I mean.. you gotta RDC them sometimes its true :hmmyes:

I don't think I've broken a chain throw other than spamming 1 in my life

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Von Linus posted:

I think an underrated element of Ranked in fighting games is that you can, if you want, stay at the level of the game where this is the meta

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So hyped for this game. I’m sure I’m in for a gigantic fuckin learning curve but I absolutely love those early days of a new fighting game trying stuff out and slowly getting my poo poo down. Got a mate picking up the game as well so I’ll have someone to learn with and fight against which always helps.

Like the look of King cause wrasslin’ and also once as a kid I played a Tekken arcade cabinet and picked the cool jaguar man and mashed around. Yoshimitsu is also tempting just because of my fondness for the Soul series.

Just want to get my hands on the full game so I can play around with everyone and find someone whose flow I gel with already, I remember spending a lot of time in training mode in Soul Calibur and SC2 just running through movelists seeing how it felt to play.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

When I first started Tekken 7, grabs and snake-edge sweeps were unstoppable game winners and there were still enough people in the same situation that it felt fine. The only thing that truly makes a fighting game too difficult is if the only players are a handful of grognards, but I don't think Tekken 8 will have that problem.

My first big fighting game revelation was to just throw out more quick pokes so that my opponent couldn't constantly power bomb me with their big windup moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
heart says reina

head says sergei

the better angels of my nature say jun

no idea who i'm gonna play