Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i got a bass pro shops catalog in the mail yesterday

i think before last night i'd have said "why the gently caress are catalogs a thing still in 2023" but it was nice. flipping through stuff away from a computer just has a satisfying analog feel i think i kinda miss. going through department store catalogs as a kid looking at toys, that kinda stuff.

y'all miss catalogs? any weird or cool catalog memories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Someone kept bringing in Musician's Friends to the break room at my last job, and I always enjoy flipping through MF.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

i got a bass pro shops catalog in the mail yesterday

i think before last night i'd have said "why the gently caress are catalogs a thing still in 2023" but it was nice. flipping through stuff away from a computer just has a satisfying analog feel i think i kinda miss. going through department store catalogs as a kid looking at toys, that kinda stuff.

y'all miss catalogs? any weird or cool catalog memories?

i got a amazon catalogue for kids toys in december and laughed and was like what is this old timey poo poo amazon is trying to pull. it was like a sears catalogue. but my kids saw it on the table and loved flipping thru it, circling poo poo, etc. made me really nostalgic.

my gf gets a (quarterly i think?) lego catalogue too and it kinda rules.

i like old analog type of stuff like this tbh. its a big reason i drive old cars and prefer older style mechanical cooking implements vs new flashy digital bullshit

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

MrQwerty posted:

Someone kept bringing in Musician's Friends to the break room at my last job, and I always enjoy flipping through MF.

when i was 12 musician's friend had a jackson dinky with a dragon on it and i wanted it so loving bad

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I used to look at all the cool stuff in the back of my mom's old Harvey Comics. (casper, richie rich, etc)
The cool poo poo you could get for like a nickel or a stamp. All I wanted was Xray glasses.

(also lol skin head wig)

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

What was that catalog that had a bunch of joke gifts and the most random poo poo imaginable? Those were fun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I used to dissect the Sears Catalog Toy section with scientific precision.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My mom was a nurse and they would send her catalogs of scrubs with all kinds of crazy fun designs. It was like Lisa Frank but for clothes that blood and poo poo is going to get on

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i get my catalogs online

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

I used to dissect the Sears Catalog Toy women's undergarments section with scientific precision.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well, yeah, but gotta say, once I discovered Cosmopolitan magazine, the Sears bra section just didn't hit the same.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

AcidCat posted:

redshirt posted:

I used to dissect the Sears Catalog Toy women's undergarments section with scientific precision.

:hai:
I feel like a lot of my awakening was due to junk from the mail.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Understandable. But my grandma didn't subscribe to Cosmo - so I had to make do. In fact this was the pre-Cosmo time.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oriental Trader - tons of novelties and plastic crap you could order by the gross.

Boys Life - Tons of knives, plans, and mail in scams. I bought a water balloon launcher.

CCS - looked at this more than I actually skateboarded.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Sears/JC Penny catalogs were the Holy Texts growing up in the 80's

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

the person who lived in this house before us got a seed catalog and I bought some seeds from it so now we both get catalogs

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The Finn posted:

Toys pages for Christmas time and bra section for mysterious stirrings time

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Computer Shopper was always a goodie, it was basically 80s/90s NewEgg in magazine form, and the mags were always like an inch thick. You can find fully scanned ones on the Internet Archive

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Boys Life - Tons of knives, plans, and mail in scams. I bought a water balloon launcher.

Hell yeah, I got, uh... A bunch a dumbass Disney stamps from overseas for a penny or something stupid

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

shyduck posted:

Computer Shopper was always a goodie, it was basically 80s/90s NewEgg in magazine form, and the mags were always like an inch thick. You can find fully scanned ones on the Internet Archive

They ruled. Bill & Alice articles in the back were a highlight, new products tested in the Lab of Doom & Pepsi-Cola

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Yes

Sundance catalog has lots of earrings that I like to look at for techniques/inspiration. I have hundreds of images on my phone for reference but it's not as good as seen it on the actual page.

Same with art reference

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I remember getting the Sharper Image catalog in the mail as a kid and thinking "whoa this stuff is from the future!" and imagine all the cool stuff I could buy when I became a working adult.

Then I grew up a little and realized how stupid and gimmicky it all was, though I'd still sit in their massage chairs at the mall until I'd get kicked out. How did they know a teenager in a Slipknot shirt wasn't there to buy a motorized tie rack or some other dumb poo poo?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Southern Cassowary posted:

when i was 12 musician's friend had a jackson dinky with a dragon on it and i wanted it so loving bad

I used to look longingly at the marcus miller signature jazz bass in the musicians friend catalog. It was the first thing I bought once I got a real job after college.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My best friend would get these weird catalogs of seemingly-random products (probably stuff up for liquidation) back when we were 10. It ruled because one day they offered a huge set of those Kenner-made Aliens figures for like 60 bucks and we spent the rest of the year recreating Starship Troopers with our GI Joes and an army of gorilla aliens.

Oh, and we also got Columbia House for the free albums but never honored the "buy 3 albums in a year at full price" part of the deal and nothing came up from it.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i got a amazon catalogue for kids toys in december and laughed and was like what is this old timey poo poo amazon is trying to pull. it was like a sears catalogue. but my kids saw it on the table and loved flipping thru it, circling poo poo, etc. made me really nostalgic.

I loved my kid being able to thumb through it and circle stuff. Smart move by Amazon.

Another catalog I had as a kid was Edumnd Scientific or something like that. Nerdy stuff you could order. I got a big Fresnel lens and melted stuff with it when I was a kid in the 80s.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Raised on National Geographic and Sears catalogs and then suddenly Victoria's Secret comes along out of nowhere shattering everything

Catalogs were basically the safer pre-internet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Back in the mid 90's I knew these crazy twins (they'd swap personalities every year or so) and one of them got this "Home Defense" catalog, and I was blown away with what they were selling. Razor blade tape, all kinds of crazy knives, I'm sure some illegal stuff. One of the phrases for the barbed wire tape has stuck with me:
"Lure the home invader into your pre-selected kill zone".

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Every magazine seemed to have a few pages in the back for a mini-catalog and that's where all the magic happened.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I still get catalogs sometimes from the nursery I buy plants at. Its nice.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ordering sick band merch out of the newsprint Sessions catalog

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sears Wishbook was the best thing in the 80s. The hours I would spend just starting all the toys and playsets.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

The Finn posted:

Yep. This is how I told my grandparents what I wanted for Christmas. Circle it in the Sears/Penney's catalog.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember looking at Delia's and wishing my parents could afford it. I also wanted all the slipknot, korn, Ramones and YOU LAUGH AT ME BECAUSE I'M DIFFERENT I LAUGH AT YOU BECAUSE YOURE ALL THE SAME tshirts at the back of the magazines I used to get.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I read the bass pro shops catalogue today oh boy

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was never a model train guy but my dad was briefly before he switched to being a full time ham radio nerd. for a couple years when i was a kid we still got these big thick catalogs of model train stuff. i loved them. i wasnt into the trains so much as all of the very detailed scenery. some of them had stuff for like historical dioramas and ww2 airplane models etc too. also every once in a while we'd go to a hobby shop and i'd get a special glossy japanese catalog of diorama stuff. never actually ordered anything out of them tho

these days the only catalog i get is the sweetwater catalog (music gear) but i am also constantly bombarded by ads for gear in all my social media so i dont really look at them much. and if i ever buy something from them i get weirdly personal calls from a sweetwater rep named gary who seems to have quite a lot of time on his hands and is kind of lonely.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 24, 2024

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I spent a lot of time at my grandma's as a kid and she had the Lillian Vernon and Harriet Carter catalogg. My sister and I would play the game "pick one from each page". Sometimes they had VHS instructional tapes about having sex as an old person and "personal massagers" and we'd laugh at those pages.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Dixville posted:

I remember looking at Delia's and wishing my parents could afford it.

Same. I'd see the inflatable furniture and think "wow that must be for millionaires"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Earwicker posted:

i was never a model train guy but my dad was briefly before he switched to being a full time ham radio nerd. for a couple years when i was a kid we still got these big thick catalogs of model train stuff. i loved them. i wasnt into the trains so much as all of the very detailed scenery. some of them had stuff for like historical dioramas and ww2 airplane models etc too. also every once in a while we'd go to a hobby shop and i'd get a special glossy japanese catalog of diorama stuff. never actually ordered anything out of them tho

oh yeah the old model train and wargaming scenery catalogues were loving legendary. my buddies dad was also into that poo poo and had stacks of them filled with the most glorious dioramas. i do that stuff myself now and i'd kill to have some of those old mags to flip thru

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I spent a lot of time at my grandma's as a kid and she had the Lillian Vernon and Harriet Carter catalogg. My sister and I would play the game "pick one from each page". Sometimes they had VHS instructional tapes about having sex as an old person and "personal massagers" and we'd laugh at those pages.

Oh gosh, memory unlocked. I had this thing for the older sister of a friend, and we in fact became pretty close - we drove to work most every day one summer for example.
When the shoe section was dead and there was no busy work, I'd browse through the Herman Sporting Goods catalog, imagining what items we'd get together, what sports we could play, would we get matching workout outfits, etc?

Nothing ever came of it FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh yeah the old model train and wargaming scenery catalogues were loving legendary. my buddies dad was also into that poo poo and had stacks of them filled with the most glorious dioramas. i do that stuff myself now and i'd kill to have some of those old mags to flip thru
Don't know if you've looked already but there may be some on ebay.