Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Wheels on Meals

I love this genre and curse God every day that they don't make it anymore. It's not as good as Police Story or Rumble in the Bronx, but better than Drunken Master. The best stunt was right at the start with the dude jumping two stories onto the street and landing straight on his rear end. My dissapointment that they didn't do anything cool with the bulldozer is immeasurable. Still watching Jackie Chan kick rear end and crack jokes will never, ever get old.

3/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hell yeah, M is incredibly sick

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wheels on Meals

fun fuckin movie. arrhy said it, they really dont make em like this anymore. the jokes are really good (absolutely belly laughed when jackie chan and yuen biao argue while the lady launches into the pond on th skateboard and sammo hung's boss just quittin immediately, the kung fu is kickass, the guys bickering is a lot of fun. coolest thing in the movie for me: the guy jackie chan fights at the end kicking out the candles with his missed attack. loving insane! the final fight ws a little short but hell, jackie chan's fight was godlike. god i'm glad we finally watched a kung-fu flick, ty sub for pickin it. btw anyone who watches this and hasnt seen police story, go watch police story right away, absolutely godlike movie in the same vein.

★★★

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 6, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

gonna watch WoM tonight, i always love this bit of trivia about it:

quote:

The film's title was supposed to be Meals on Wheels. Superstitious Golden Harvest executives however demanded the title change because their two previous films with titles that began with the letter 'M' – Megaforce and Menage à Trois – were both box office flops.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Meals on Wheels would bring my grandma food. Jackie Chan never showed up

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Meals on Wheels would bring my grandma food. Jackie Chan never showed up

who do you think made the food

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

symbolic posted:

who do you think made the food

Yuen Biao. Pay attention!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Wheels on Meals

coolest thing in the movie for me: the guy jackie chan fights at the end kicking out the candles with his missed attack. loving insane!

Made me go "oh poo poo!"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

btw anyone who watches this and hasnt seen police story, go watch police story right away, absolutely godlike movie in the same vein.

you got it boss

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

you got it boss

update: insanely good decision

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

update: insanely good decision

it's so incredibly sick lol, jackie chan ftw

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao the number one pimp on hooker street

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Wheels on Meals: loving miss this kind of movie so much. some really good fights especially in the castle. jokes landed pretty well too, esp. the fight gags like jackie getting punched in the face when he tries to feint a rush too many times. also "pull me up for another round! i'll kick your rear end!" lol. 3/5

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
watched conan the barbarian during two sessions because i fell asleep about half way through. oops. the middle part kinda drags a bit when conan starts his quest into the desert alone. however, with the encouragement from Fungah!, i finished it up the other night... and i am really glad i did. the last 40 or so minutes owned. the ending fight scenes were awesome. i still don't know if i actually like this movie, but i like a lot of stuff about it. the costumes and music are cool as hell, the jokes and acting are just the right amount of cringe, and the fighting is pretty badass. big strongman stuff, and i really like how badass valeria was as well. "do you want to live forever?" lmao, it kills me every time.

anyway, good pick and glad i made myself finish it.

3/5 stars

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

valeria & sandahl bergman ftw

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I've watched Conan a dozen times and this might be the first time I noticed it's co-written by Oliver Stone. Highly recommend this movie.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Wheels on Meals: I've been in a kung fu movie mood lately so this was well timed. Loved the fight choreography throughout. Jackie Chan makes it look so easy.

I think my favorite stunt was right at the end when Yuen Biao does a combat roll through the food truck window. Totally unnecessary in the best way.

I watched this on free Plex and I think the ads were busted because literally every break was the same Gain laundry detergent ad three times in a row. 3 stars

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

I watched this on free Plex and I think the ads were busted because literally every break was the same Gain laundry detergent ad three times in a row. 3 stars
They're telling you to do your dang laundry

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Conan the Barbarian: it's wild that Arnold was basically just a guy from a bodybuilding documentary when he was cast in this film. Max Von Sydow and James Earl Jones really elevate the movie beyond just a comic book/ pulp fiction adaptation. The narrated opening was really cool and got through Conans origin story in half the time a modern comic book movie would. 4/5

Wheels on Meals: I had completely forgotten I had seen this movie before until Stan from the Golden Girls pop up in the credits. Great mix of physical comedy and really cool fight scenes. 4/5

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Wheels on Meals: 4/5

Very solid action comedy! great stunts, many funny gags, and good fight choreography. The final fight in particular kicks a ton of rear end. Also I think the sagrada familia is awesome so seeing it appear in this film was cool.

I’ve actually not seen a ton of movies in this vein (though I have seen police story) and it’s probably something I should fix given how much I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I watched Conan the Barbarian several days ago and kept forgetting to post about it here.

I thought I had watched it before but I think I must have only seen the first half or so, I remembered everything through the theft in the tower, but everything after that seemed new to me. I think Pragmatica’s right that it drags in the middle, after he sets off on the journey to find the princess solo but before the series of battles at the end. A couple of action scenes scattered through there would have done a lot. But the first and final acts are so epic and iconic that some pacing issues in the middle don’t drag my opinion of the movie overall down too far.

I love the old Conan short stories and this movie does a good job capturing them, set design and costuming are fantastic and exactly what a Conan movie should be. Performances are either genuinely good or objectively kind of bad but in a fun way. It’s interesting how much comedy is in the movie, it’s a very different sort of comedy than the “Let off some steam, Bennett” stuff he’d be known for later but I had always thought Commando was a turning point for him being more comedic in later roles, I didn’t realize that casting directors were looking at this enormous superhuman slab of muscle and thinking about how funny he’d be from day one.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Conan: 5/5
That special kind of genre defining movie that spawned a million cash grabs in its wake. What I really appreciate is how simple of a movie it is, not like the high production spectacles modern movies are expected to be. I disagree with everyone who says it's slow in the middle. Sure it's a lull in the action but it always feels like it has a clear idea of where it's going and doesn't take forever to get there like generic low budget fantasy does.

I'd picked up a few Conan books last month because they were dirt cheap at the thrift store and hadn't gotten around to reading them yet, so this pick was perfect timing.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

see th thing that elevates conan for me isnt just the big name actors, its the worldbuilding poo poo and the sets. they really take a lot of time to show you theres this whole world beyond just conan and his poo poo, he's one guy in th middle of world and he might be a badass but theres so much out there beyond that. the sets too, they really put a lot of details and cool ideas in the background nd let the viewer latch onto em and figure it out. its also cool how much visual metaphor theres goin on, most obvious being the wheel of pain. lot of modern movies theyd have mako talkin over the wheel of pain about how my lord suffered much at the wheel, but ultimately his struggles served to forge him into a mighty warrior, in much the same way as his father forged swords.but here they get some badass music and let the wheel speak for itself. its a movie with a lot of depth even if it just feels like sword and sandals poo poo. and then obviously th big monologues are incredible. th movies an origin story but its a good one because its not just about how conan became conan but like, him choosin between all the paths his life could take one by one until he ends up at th one that is ultimately going to lead to him winning a kingdom with his own hand

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and then arnie makes th grunting noises and tghe funny faces too, which is epic

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

see th thing that elevates conan for me isnt just the big name actors, its the worldbuilding poo poo and the sets. they really take a lot of time to show you theres this whole world beyond just conan and his poo poo, he's one guy in th middle of world and he might be a badass but theres so much out there beyond that. the sets too, they really put a lot of details and cool ideas in the background nd let the viewer latch onto em and figure it out. its also cool how much visual metaphor theres goin on, most obvious being the wheel of pain. lot of modern movies theyd have mako talkin over the wheel of pain about how my lord suffered much at the wheel, but ultimately his struggles served to forge him into a mighty warrior, in much the same way as his father forged swords.but here they get some badass music and let the wheel speak for itself. its a movie with a lot of depth even if it just feels like sword and sandals poo poo. and then obviously th big monologues are incredible. th movies an origin story but its a good one because its not just about how conan became conan but like, him choosin between all the paths his life could take one by one until he ends up at th one that is ultimately going to lead to him winning a kingdom with his own hand

Fungah! posted:

and then arnie makes th grunting noises and tghe funny faces too, which is epic

This

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I love M, great choice. I remember that it had long moments of silence that are unusual for modern sensibilities. I will be keen to rewatch it.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Wheels on Meals

I love this movie and I love how weird it is lol. Sammo Hung in jheri curls, the plot that seems like it was structured entirely around finding a way to get everybody into an evil castle by the end, the villain who becomes Chinese and a foot shorter when he puts on the fencing mask, etc. I think the boss fight toward the end might be my favorite fight in any Jackie Chan movie and it's a big part of why I love this one. Benny Urquidez is just so goddamn fast and it's amazing to see him & Jackie both going all-out, feels like neither of them was holding back at all. I do wish there were more actual fight scenes, but the ones we get are so good it's still satisfying.

I think Police Story is a more solid movie and probably the best Jackie Chan movie overall, but I have a lot of affection for the weird silly tone this one has and it's become one of my favorites. Glad imps have been enjoying it!

4/5 vhs tapes

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Wheels on Meals

heard a lame rear end english dub and restarted the movie w/ the original audio, only to realize that now the soundtrack was worse and the dubbing was still hella obvious. old other country movie dubbing ftl :rant:
humor didnt do much 4 me tbh. there were a couple of laughs but the movie misses way more often than it hits.
i liked the two main guys as characters and their dynamic. fat guy was ok. its a cool concept w/ their food truck in spain but it also just feels like a lot of ideas thrown at the wall w/o rhyme or reason.
really, the thing i liked ab this movie was the action, the things that stuck out 2 me are
-opening montage
-skateboard uber jackie
-jackie chan dropkicking a mf off a bike
-some parts of the big food truck chase like when drive they into the oranges
-the whole castle ending, infiltration and fights, especially the one jackie chan has w/ that weird looking dude
went to look back at the movie and theres so much frigging filler. but im not gonna poo poo on it 2 much cause the stunts were cool as hell and i know for a fact they didnt use cgi for them, so im satisfied
3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Martman posted:

gonna watch WoM tonight, i always love this bit of trivia about it:

Lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Sub-Actuality posted:

becomes Chinese and a foot shorter when he puts on the fencing mask

lol i noticed that too and its weird cause i could swear sometimes in the middle of the fight it actually is the spanish dude, but then they have this shot where its just him standing around menacingly and its the chinese guy. wtf

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fucker posted:

Wheels on Meals

heard a lame rear end english dub and restarted the movie w/ the original audio, only to realize that now the soundtrack was worse and the dubbing was still hella obvious. old other country movie dubbing ftl :rant:
humor didnt do much 4 me tbh. there were a couple of laughs but the movie misses way more often than it hits.
i liked the two main guys as characters and their dynamic. fat guy was ok. its a cool concept w/ their food truck in spain but it also just feels like a lot of ideas thrown at the wall w/o rhyme or reason.
really, the thing i liked ab this movie was the action, the things that stuck out 2 me are
-opening montage
-skateboard uber jackie
-jackie chan dropkicking a mf off a bike
-some parts of the big food truck chase like when drive they into the oranges
-the whole castle ending, infiltration and fights, especially the one jackie chan has w/ that weird looking dude
went to look back at the movie and theres so much frigging filler. but im not gonna poo poo on it 2 much cause the stunts were cool as hell and i know for a fact they didnt use cgi for them, so im satisfied
3/5

The drop kick was so loving sick. Lost my mind at that.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fucker posted:

lol i noticed that too and its weird cause i could swear sometimes in the middle of the fight it actually is the spanish dude, but then they have this shot where its just him standing around menacingly and its the chinese guy. wtf

yea it rules lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

oh yeah also extra credit for the way they both their jackets off lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i've been watching the benny the jet urquidez vs jackie chan fight a couple times a month for probably 10 years now. easily my favorite fight from a kung-fu movie, you can tell benny is dangerous as gently caress irl in a way the vast majority of movies don't get across.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

time over for conan, starting M...now.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

M

great, great film. very suspenseful, and i almost want to call it gritty but that doesn't feel right. moreso seedy given it's pretty focused on the underbelly of the city for the entire runtime, even with regard to the police, which helps the feeling of the film overall being pretty chaotic which i think is exemplified by the scenes at the beginning of the general public trusting absolutely no one, and the cops acting in the exact same way. ditto for pretty much the entire final third of the movie, and especially the kangaroo court at the very end. i thought Peter Lorre was fine through most of the movie but him during that entire scene was terrifyingly riveting. need to shout out some of the cinematography too with the lingering still shots, and the audio for forsaking music in lieu of ambient noise or just straight-up dead silence cuz both end up making things feel even more uneasy and tense. all in all can definitely see why it's so well-regarded and influential, don't think i ever would've touched it otherwise were it not picked

8.5/10

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just finished Wheels on Meals.

Horrible dub aside, the stunts in this movie are incredible, the fights rule and there were some pretty funny jokes here and there. The rest of the movie kinda drags though. The guy jumping out of a second floor window just to land rear end first on concrete as a joke made me gasp, also i laughed too hard probably at the baseball to the face lol. Jackie chan rules. 4/5

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rollin for next weeks pick in a minute

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sc64, get me your pick by sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wheels on meals is one of my favorite kung fu movies of all time. i'll rewatch it sometime tomorrow.