Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bad Boy Bubby

3/5 reminded me of Being There, but like, if it was extremely challenging lol

symbolic posted:

i just got to the the cat shrink wrap scene and if an ex wanted to bang to this movie i'd turn gay in a heartbeat what the gently caress

this lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

poo poo i forgot to roll lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i love the bottle chopping scene

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i was kind of nervous to rewatch big trouble in little china because i was worried some of the magic of my first watch would be lost but nope it still rocks

still has some hilarious scenes, the ending is like a cartoon with the over the top action and slapstick humor jack shooting the ceiling and knocking himself out first thing of the big final confrontation kills me to this day

its just a really imaginative movie with a lot of creative effects and shots and characters and even the story manages to throw some curve balls by dodging tropes such as "nope" to the goodbye kiss or the main villain dying before his underlings

soundtrack is baller too you really cant go wrong

even though this is actually one of my least favorite carpenter movies he sets the bar so high this still gets a 9/10 from me

john carpenters vampires is my most least favorite so far so please dont pick it movie club

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Leadthumb posted:

Bad Boy Bubby

3/5 reminded me of Being There, but like, if it was extremely challenging lol

this lol

Somehow not the worst movie with a three word title involving boy about a mentally ill guy in an incestuous relationship wandering aimlessly through the streets for 2 hours that I've seen in the past year. The beginning was definitely hard to watch but interesting. I don't understand the decision to make the remaining 90 minutes of the film's runtime a fish out of water comedy. I feel like this should have been 2 different movies. Still a decent movie. 3/5

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh maaaaan you guys re in for a treat

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Somehow not the worst movie with a three word title involving boy about a mentally ill guy in an incestuous relationship wandering aimlessly through the streets for 2 hours that I've seen in the past year. The beginning was definitely hard to watch but interesting. I don't understand the decision to make the remaining 90 minutes of the film's runtime a fish out of water comedy. I feel like this should have been 2 different movies. Still a decent movie. 3/5

The final 90 minutes, don't work without the first 30. if you don't have any of the context bubby is the bad guy and unsympathetic, he kills 4 people

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

The final 90 minutes, don't work without the first 30. if you don't have any of the context bubby is the bad guy and unsympathetic, he kills 4 people
and a cat. :(

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Trouble in Little China: 4/5

Still a really fun and funny movie that’s cheesy in all the right ways. Jack is a great character.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
bad boy bubby

at first i wasnt sold on this because the first 30 or so minutes seemed more gratuitous than clever or all that interesting but it does set up the rest of the movie very well

its interesting watching somebody who is 95% conditioned from an isolationist life with his incestuous mother go out and fill that last 5% up with learned behavior from society at large

and its nice to see somebody who had most of their life taken away from them by their mother go out and take it back and make something for themselves

there were points were i was horrified at the beginning at what was happening, but eventually the movie actually softens and offers a more compassionate view and i think that really hit me when bubby first gets up and sings

thats the exact point in the movie theres a tonal shift that redeems a lot of the horrid garbage i had to sit through almost completely

i was strongly emotionally touched by this movie and i think i ended up loving it to an extent

its pretty loving good 9.5/10

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

and a cat. :(

he just wanted to see how they not breathe

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

honestly a very key part of the movie there. shows his curiosity and that he isnt stupid, just ignorant. i do have a dark lol at his mother telling pop that she was waiting for him to come to name him

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
And The Award For Most Depraved, Disturbing, Freakish, Revolting And Vile Movie Ever Picked For BBV Movie Club Goes To...

Bad Boy Bubby!!!

Sorry, Forbidden Zone, Freddie Got Fingered And Tommy. Better Luck Next Time!

neat trick of having it be as deranged as possible from the start and a lot of the time in general so that when it isnt, you feel like its giving you a break and letting you enjoy the more wholesome and not so bad aspects of life, like a bunch of stoners making fun of a mentally ill man, a 2 minute long nihilistic speech ab how god should be erased from existence and a guy loving a blowdoll for a concert performance. abusive relationship rear end movie. but it lets you off with a happy ending, at least
ashamed to admit that i laughed out loud a bunch of times. needed those laughs after i tried sitting through freddie got fingered
the best aspect of this movie is how... uuuuuuuh epic? it feels. it kept me guessing the whole way through and there were at least 4 times when i was like "lol alright, well done, bravo, what an ending to this" and then IT KEPT GOING. by the actual end it really felt like an insane journey. this felt like a 10 episode tv series but i mean that in a good way
i cant lie. this movie is brilliant
howemstever, im never recommending irl it to anyone ever because you need a certain level of mental illness to enjoy it and im not gonna publicize the fact i have it
4/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RIKI-OH: THE STORY OF RICKY
Courtesy of Sleng Teng

Riki-Oh, a young man who has superhuman strength, is incarcerated in a private prison, where inmates are treated like slaves. He is forced to use his unstoppable form of martial arts to destroy the corrupt officials and their lackeys.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jj_qVUNbY

Director: Ngai Choi Lam
Writer: Tetsuya Saruwatari, Masahiko Takajo, Ngai Choi Lam
Stars: Siu-Wong Fan, Mei Sheng Fan, Ka-Kui Ho

Available On: Criterion Channel, archive.org: https://archive.org/details/riki-oh-the-story-of-ricky-1991

Available From: 3/18 - 3/31

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat, I had riki-oh in my pocket for my pick. It's a blast

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fucker posted:

And The Award For Most Depraved, Disturbing, Freakish, Revolting And Vile Movie Ever Picked For BBV Movie Club Goes To...

Bad Boy Bubby!!!

neat trick of having it be as deranged as possible from the start and a lot of the time in general so that when it isnt, you feel like its giving you a break and letting you enjoy the more wholesome and not so bad aspects of life, like a bunch of stoners making fun of a mentally ill man, a 2 minute long nihilistic speech ab how god should be erased from existence and a guy loving a blowdoll for a concert performance. abusive relationship rear end movie. but it lets you off with a happy ending, at least
ashamed to admit that i laughed out loud a bunch of times. needed those laughs after i tried sitting through freddie got fingered
the best aspect of this movie is how... uuuuuuuh epic? it feels. it kept me guessing the whole way through and there were at least 4 times when i was like "lol alright, well done, bravo, what an ending to this" and then IT KEPT GOING. by the actual end it really felt like an insane journey. this felt like a 10 episode tv series but i mean that in a good way
i cant lie. this movie is brilliant
howemstever, im never recommending irl it to anyone ever because you need a certain level of mental illness to enjoy it and im not gonna publicize the fact i have it
4/5

i expected you to tap out 20 mins into this one after freddy got fingered lol, glad you enjoyed it :)

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive seen riki-oh an almost uncountable numbe rof times lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

RIKI-OH: THE STORY OF RICKY
Courtesy of Sleng Teng

Riki-Oh, a young man who has superhuman strength, is incarcerated in a private prison, where inmates are treated like slaves. He is forced to use his unstoppable form of martial arts to destroy the corrupt officials and their lackeys.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jj_qVUNbY

Director: Ngai Choi Lam
Writer: Tetsuya Saruwatari, Masahiko Takajo, Ngai Choi Lam
Stars: Siu-Wong Fan, Mei Sheng Fan, Ka-Kui Ho

Available On: Criterion Channel, archive.org: https://archive.org/details/riki-oh-the-story-of-ricky-1991

Available From: 3/18 - 3/31

oh hell yeah lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

big trouble in little china

perfect. no notes.

★★★★

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Big Trouble in Little China

i love how stupid burton is in this, not just the stuff like managing to avoid fights as mentioned (lol at him dropping his knife) but even just trying to be cool and do things like quote himself. he's just on a total different wavelength from the rest of the movie

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fucker posted:

Bad Boy Bubby!!!

im looking forward to this now

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Big Trouble in Little China

We really need to get back to making movies like this again lol. Jack Burton is an unrelenting dumbass and one of the best protagonists ever

basically a perfect movie, 5/5 vhs tapes

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

im looking forward to this now

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off, and this movie isn't helping.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

time up for big trouble, time begins for riki-oh

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bad Boy Bubby is an interesting film, I'll give it that. I found it odd how accepting most people were with Bubby, especially the lady in the pastry shop that just gives him a ride after he's basically mocking her. Speaking of, I did enjoy how Bubby mimics the mannerisms of everyone he meets for most of the film. Overall, I can only assume this story is perfectly normal for Adelaide and guys like Bubby are a 9. I give this film a medium recommend.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

herculon posted:

Bad Boy Bubby is an interesting film, I'll give it that. I found it odd how accepting most people were with Bubby, especially the lady in the pastry shop that just gives him a ride after he's basically mocking her. Speaking of, I did enjoy how Bubby mimics the mannerisms of everyone he meets for most of the film. Overall, I can only assume this story is perfectly normal for Adelaide and guys like Bubby are a 9. I give this film a medium recommend.

they shot the entire movie in sequence so that nicholas hope could then accurately mimic then other actors' mannerisms in later scenes

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

they shot the entire movie in sequence so that nicholas hope could then accurately mimic then other actors' mannerisms in later scenes

Him mimicking hand movements and gestures while others were talking was a nice touch.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i would 100% go to every poppy and the clingwrap killers gig lol. reminds me of reverend beatman, who i once took a girl from an extremely rich family to a dive bar to go see for a date, she stopped talking to me soon after

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would 100% go to every poppy and the clingwrap killers gig lol. reminds me of reverend beatman, who i once took a girl from an extremely rich family to a dive bar to go see for a date, she stopped talking to me soon after

that reminds me of when my buddy invited his girlfriend to go to a wrestling show with us and she wound up having the necro butcher (this guy ) thrown over the guardrail onto her covered in blood and she never asked to go to wrestling with us ever again

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STING 64 posted:

that reminds me of when my buddy invited his girlfriend to go to a wrestling show with us and she wound up having the necro butcher (this guy ) thrown over the guardrail onto her covered in blood and she never asked to go to wrestling with us ever again

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

quietly slipping the necrobutcher $50 at the start of the event, boys night will not be ruined

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STING 64 posted:

Lol no reason to go to another show. Nothing will top that

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky is a wild ride. I've known about this movie, but this is my first time watching it. I watched the dubbed version because I didn't feel like reading, and I think that enhanced how outrageous this movie is. I don't know much about the manga, so I don't know if the manga takes itself seriously or was a Fist of the North Star parody. This movie does not take itself seriously and is a much better film for it. A solid recommend

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

herculon posted:

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky is a wild ride. I've known about this movie, but this is my first time watching it. I watched the dubbed version because I didn't feel like reading, and I think that enhanced how outrageous this movie is. I don't know much about the manga, so I don't know if the manga takes itself seriously or was a Fist of the North Star parody. This movie does not take itself seriously and is a much better film for it. A solid recommend

the manga goes to the moon

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bad Boy Bubby

holy poo poo the noise of this film, just constant for the first 2/3rds of it, the humming ac and lights at home, the overwhelming first pizza scene, constant construction or sirens, the fuckin bagpipes played twice as loud as the rest of the movie. this along with the camerawork is amazing

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thank you to the 32 directors of photography and the company that made the binaural sound set up

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

good lol when the pizzas are paid for from the collection tin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
riki-oh was pretty good, but i wasnt overly wowed by it either

the sheer comical nature of the violence was usually amazing, you gotta love practical effects and using like dolls stuffed with m80s and red dye that they switch out right before a big kill

lik wong's girlfriend jumping off the building actually made me laugh, but there were some amused chuckles at other low budget death scenes too

that said the fight scenes were barely that, maybe im a bit spoiled coming off of wheels on meals but beyond the gory special effects they werent really that interesting

and the story was barely there, like yeah he had that underlying motivation throughout the whole movie but for the most part it just seemed a little formulaic at times

you killed this person who was nice to me, now die!

it was high octane brainless fun though so im not going to be too overly cruel while scoring it or anything, i try to be open minded with the movie club and see where the film was coming from and rate it based on how successful it was in that

so id give it an 8/10 overall i think, the sets were boring(yes i know a prison isnt going to be the most interesting scenery, the shots still felt flat to me though), the story was flimsy, but the action was at 110% almost the entire way through so i have to give it props for that

oh and i forgot to mention it but the character designs were very cool and betray this movies manga origins but this is no detriment it was a lot easier to follow the plot when i could tell people apart with their unique looks

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 21, 2024