Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Prey is second only to the original in capturing the tension and dread of hunters becoming the hunted. It really had no business being so good and yeah, I too am bummed that there’s nothing forthcoming that can capture that vibe.

I saw the original predator at an Alamo not long before the pandemic and I was not prepared for how incredible the 1v1 is in a theater. So few films can capture that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

My only complaint about the franchise is the same as many properties- they are always trying to one up/improve the protagonist.

The problem is that you cannot improve on the back half of the film predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2F_joxQ4hE

Partly because Schwarzenegger is actually swimming in extremely cold water and covering himself in actual mud in an actual Central American rain forest. The transition in the film from basically commando to this is just perfect

edit: also there are two governors in the film which is just hilarious

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

I think the NFL only tests for steroids like, once or twice a year or something to that effect. There are a ton of players that are clearly on steroids, and many who don't take them regularly will take them for injury rehabilitation. The NFL seeming cares a lot more about a player smoking weed than they do about using HGH or some other performance enhancer.

The cynical reason would be that if they’re publicly so strict on weed then maybe people will think “wow the nfl is so strict on drugs! It must be drug free!”

Though it’s probably actually reefer madness/drug war propaganda and old people running things.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wasn't me. I wrote a real book.

I’d hope everyone here aspires to be above LitRPG as a genre.

But the real questions are: which rip it flavor and how many?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

*digging through the archives for the "invade Mexico" o-plan*

Okay, here we go. It says we'll need ten cavalry regiments, a good supply of repeating rifles, and enough hardtack to last for at least 30 days.

Redeploying from the shores of Tripoli to the halls of Montezuma is going to be brutal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

"the defendent was guilty but granted khorne's blessing after they murdered their accuser, the prosecutors, the jury, the gallery, their own defense..."

Isn’t that just a trial by combat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

Wait so the first time i had whataburger like 10 years ago and it was already loving awful. How bad is it now? Because it was bad mickey d's quality back then

That sounds like a bad whataburger. That said, a large part of it is the novelty of having jalapenos on a fast food burger.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

Art. 121, larceny under $1000 can get you a BCD, confinement for a year in and forfeiture of all pay and allowances.
About the same as on the civilian side, plus the BCD

What would be typical? NJP? OTH?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

What confidential files did Biden have vs Trump? Seems like all classified information is not created equal

I don't think anything anything more specific than "Biden's notes" and I guess he just handled it the same way as if he was a senator?

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/1755741840907669633

He called a press conference with about an hour's warning, its pretty clear this is his personal demand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmBaKNlN1s

He really doesn't look like he can take 4 more years of this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol at counterstrike. It's like the germans going home and playing bus driving simulators

Well, I assume that they don’t have a defined k:d ratio irl

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

0:0 is still defined

Ok fine, indeterminate k:d ratio

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Can helicopters cary anti-aircraft missiles? Like replace some hellfire missiles with stingers or something?

quote:

Conversely, if a helicopter pilot gets a gun kill on a fighter in a dogfight that should count as five right there.

Helicopters are actually very dangerous to aircraft if the aircraft is in the helicopter’s engagement envelope. Think of them as extra mobile AAA battery+MANPADS with good sensors. Fixed wing combat aircraft do not need to get close to helicopters however.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

In the days of modern radar, this goes not nearly as well for helicopters unless just sitting as a kind of ambush force waiting for ground strikers to fly by in a valley whoa re more worried about hiding from other fighters and SAMs than they are looking for helicopters. Dedicated AESA radar capability on CAP aircraft looking down on helicopters is mean to them.

It’s important to emphasize that radars could not be pointed towards the ground and get useful information until the 70s when solid state electronics meant you could actually do signal processing on an aircraft. This was called “look down, shoot down” capability and was a big deal at the time. The F-4 was upgraded with radars that could do it and it was one of the big new capabilities of the F-15 and F-14.

So, when you look at information from a 1979 NATO exercise imagine an F-104 doing a low level strike mission*. If its air to air radar is even on it’s not going to ever pick up a helicopter just above the trees of the fulda gap. The helicopter however would have pretty decent IR sensors and the F-104 will be easily seen. So the helicopter gunner can take their time to put their cannon on the fighter or wait for a good sidewinder/stinger shot.

By 1991, an F-15 up in the flight levels can obliterate that helicopter with an AMRAAM from like 20 miles away.

*allow me to preemptively head off the joke: exercise results are “helicopter should wait for the luftwaffe starfighter to crash then proceed with its mission”*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I realized that right after I wrote the starfighter joke and hit post. I was thinking of the Iraqi Air Force being able to be destroyed as soon as they took off which was pretty new at the time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

They also strapped a coaxial 23mm autocannon to a space station once, but never fired it with anyone onboard because they realized that it was a batshit insane idea.

It’s an understandable capability for them to want to have given the number of space shuttle door gunnners out there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaddak posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-alexei-navalny-1.7117208

Article says "he felt unwell and, almost immediately lost consciousness." I'm betting poison or nerve agent.

Sometimes a heart attack is just a heart attack.

Though, perhaps in this case I should say “rarely”.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

wait, so if the child dies after you commit the crime you can end up not being chargeable? WTF?

assuming, ofc you didn't cause the child to die

Some states don’t have statutes of limitations on such crimes, just like many do not have one for murder. In general statutes of limitations are an important protection.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How long would you last in a foreign country if all your money was seized?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Mays told police "that he drew a gun first, in a crowd of people with kids, picked one of the individuals in the group [he was arguing with] at random, and started shooting, all because they said, 'I’m going to get you' and to him, that meant, 'I’m going to kill you,'" the probable cause affidavit said.

Mays said he fired two shots and said other people started shooting after he did, the court document said.

Miller said after he heard gunshots and saw a man shooting at him, he returned fire, according to the probable cause statement. Miller said he estimated he fired four to five shots, according to court documents.

When police asked Mays why he "advanced" on the other group in the first place, Mays "replied, 'Stupid, man. Just pulled a gun out and started shooting. I shouldn’t have done that. Just being stupid,'" the probable cause affidavit said.

"When reminded that the person Lyndell Mays was shooting at was running away from him, Lyndell Mays replied, 'I know,'" the probable cause affidavit said.

Miller and Mays were both shot, according to court documents, and both men remain in the hospital, Baker said. They are being held on a $1 million bond, according to Baker.

Two juvenile suspects were taken into custody last week on gun-related charges and resisting arrest, officials said.

I wonder how many shooters there were in total.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

P.S.: Remember when Trump tried to move Space Force headquarters to Alabama? Yikes.

I suppose Redstone arsenal would make a lot of sense if they were making space force into something more like China’s PLARF.

It kinda sucks that Kennedy, Johnson and Marshall space flight centers are in the states that they are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

I have intrusive thoughts of "i wonder what it feels like to x" all the time. Sometimes they just win

It’s weird that at some point the primitive reptilian “danger” impulse humans got mangled into intrusive thoughts to do the dangerous thing instead of not doing it.

It’s also weird that the French term for it, “l’appel du vide” or call of the void is both so much cooler and descriptive than the English term “high place phenomenon” and we haven’t just stolen it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wait this motherfucker saying he’s gonna overthrow the loving government is an officer?!?!?!?

gently caress, call the stroke I just had an ambulance¿¡

There was that one time that 25% of officers said they were going to overthrow the government.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Fast food surge pricing? At Wendy’s? What the gently caress?

I can’t wait for the :20bux: spicy chicken sandwich

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

With the potential liquidation of the Trump empire I can only hope this is where Don Jr, Eric, and Ivanka end up in 30 years:

The Trump Family honors the Blessed Donald, this Saturday only at the Waco Community Center.

This feels like it should be a game over screen from a paradox map game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can’t buy just bread at subway.

The real question is if Jimmy John’s counts.