Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would genuinely rather play the remake version of FC than the original, but this applies to most of the minigames, even the ones I dislike. Like for all the problems I have with most of the returning minigames, I think most of them are more fun. Dolphin, 3D boxing, motorcycle chase, Fort Condor, even Chocobo Racing I find a genuine improvement over the original. I do think I liked Intergrade FC more than Rebrith but that is because it has more customization options instead of being a set defined skill, but as far as "CCG in your RPG" I'll take QB over Intergrade-FC 10 times out of 10.

This isn't the same as saying all those minigames are good (though I will go to bat for Dolphin, Chocobo and Motorcycle as being fun at least.) but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the modern version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Aeris and Cait Sith's synergy ability is amazing. It even makes the Mario power up sound :golfclap: And then you just absolutely loving beat the poo poo out of the boss with your moogle fists

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My current incredibly specific complaint about Synergy Abilities is that there's kind of this implicit tiering based on how much time passes before the first hit comes out. Because they give you super armour but not invulnerability, there's a lot of scope to completely eat poo poo in the time it takes for, say, Cloud and Aerith's Firework Blade to come out. Obviously the worst case is that one of the participants gets KO'd (it's possible, with the absolute worst timing, for the attack to get cancelled in such a way that it has no effect on the enemy, doesn't grant the buff, and still consumes your pips) but even taking a lot of damage is bad. But all of them will hard interrupt opponents once that first hit does connect. So anything with a windup kind of becomes a huge risk you have to carefully plan around. I don't know how intentional of the design this is.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
yea not sure how the synergy skills stuff works that well yet.
all i know is in one battle, somehow there was a special option for tifa and aerith and they did some limit breaking looking aoe thing and got a crazy buff out of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Macaluso posted:

This like extra stuff with the Gi that happens after you're done with the Gi Cave seems like a strange addition? The pacing felt like it stopped dead all of a sudden to go do this and the Zack stuff with Biggs. I don't remember the Gi having much significance in the OG after Cosmo Canyon, was there underlying stuff there I just don't remember? It kind of feels unnecessary

There's absolutely nothing about the Gi in the original game. The addition of material about them in Rebirth is to 1. give some kind of context to the black materia, which otherwise has no origin or story to it in the original game, 2. imply that the Cetra weren't the perfect peaceful utopian guardians of the planet that the legends play them up as, and 3. introduce the concept that aliens don't get to return to the lifestream (and make you think about who else that applies to)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

There's absolutely nothing about the Gi in the original game. The addition of material about them in Rebirth is to 1. give some kind of context to the black materia, which otherwise has no origin or story to it in the original game, 2. imply that the Cetra weren't the perfect peaceful utopian guardians of the planet that the legends play them up as, and 3. introduce the concept that aliens don't get to return to the lifestream (and make you think about who else that applies to)

It also gives Red XIII an actual connection to the plot and story, which in the original FF7 he just doesn't have. Classic Red XIII is basically there to guide you to his grandpa and then he hangs out. By giving him an actual connection to the Black Materia and an actual stated goal (trying to resolve the Gi Tribe thing), it helps solidify him as an actual cast member and not a hanger on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GateOfD posted:

yea not sure how the synergy skills stuff works that well yet.
all i know is in one battle, somehow there was a special option for tifa and aerith and they did some limit breaking looking aoe thing and got a crazy buff out of it.

spending atb bars gives you little synergy bars on your characters' UI, spend those bars to do things. Each time you use a synergy ability it costs another synergy bar on top of what you paid before to do it again. They all do damage and one additional thing depending on the move: unlimited MP, increase stagger time, or raise limit level allowing you to use level 2 limit breaks on those two characters.

synergy skills are the free ones you see come up when you're blocking. they give ATB build to each character varying on what the skill does, which you can read by guarding and hitting the touch pad. Generally the most useful ones are the charged abilities and the counters which both do wombo damage and give like a whole bar to each character

you're also very soon going to start running into enemies who only get pressured when hit with synergy skills or abilities.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blockhouse posted:

spending atb bars gives you little synergy bars on your characters' UI, spend those bars to do things. Each time you use a synergy ability it costs another synergy bar on top of what you paid before to do it again. They all do damage and one additional thing depending on the move: unlimited MP, increase stagger time, or raise limit level allowing you to use level 2 limit breaks on those two characters.

Two things on this: the free elemental skills don't give you synergy bars and there's also a fourth type that doesn't do any damage but repartitions their ATB Bars into three parts instead of two for a limited time, which lets you build ATB faster and also store up an additional one for big burst

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

IcePhoenix posted:

Two things on this: the free elemental skills don't give you synergy bars and there's also a fourth type that doesn't do any damage but repartitions their ATB Bars into three parts instead of two for a limited time, which lets you build ATB faster and also store up an additional one for big burst

oh right I forgot about those because I didn't end up using either during my playthrough

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's pretty wild since they're both incredibly powerful (especially the free elemental skills that bounce to multiple enemies)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I did use the free elemental skills early on but I specced out of them when you start regularly running into enemies that have higher HP percentage thresholds and aren't effected by the low damage the free abilities do, and by that point the enemies who do have lower thresholds to being pressured will get that from just being hit with a combo from someone using an elemental materia.

I generally never had a fight go on long enough that I felt three ATB bars was a bigger boon than throwing out damaging synergy abilities as much as you can. Plus it let me skip past those nodes on the folio and use the SP for other things.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Blockhouse posted:

I did use the free elemental skills early on but I specced out of them when you start regularly running into enemies that have higher HP percentage thresholds and aren't effected by the low damage the free abilities do, and by that point the enemies who do have lower thresholds to being pressured will get that from just being hit with a combo from someone using an elemental materia.

I generally never had a fight go on long enough that I felt three ATB bars was a bigger boon than throwing out damaging synergy abilities as much as you can. Plus it let me skip past those nodes on the folio and use the SP for other things.

The free abilities still buff your materia so its not entirely waste to have them

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Having the 3rd bard from Refocus also has the benefit for Barret of making his "spend all ATB charges" attacks like Focused Shot and Maximum Fury stronger.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WaltherFeng posted:

The free abilities still buff your materia so its not entirely waste to have them

what kind of materia buff is it anyway, is it a damage boost or

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

ImpAtom posted:

It also gives Red XIII an actual connection to the plot and story, which in the original FF7 he just doesn't have. Classic Red XIII is basically there to guide you to his grandpa and then he hangs out. By giving him an actual connection to the Black Materia and an actual stated goal (trying to resolve the Gi Tribe thing), it helps solidify him as an actual cast member and not a hanger on.

I wonder if some of that is meant for people who are playing this for the first time instead of the OG. To me as someone who played the original, the Black Materia didn't need any expending to be honest, neither did I really need the alien not returning to the life stream thing. The Cetra bit IS I think a little interesting, but you don't really need the Gi for that. The Gi thing never has any impact in how I viewed Red either, I didn't view it as him being a "hanger on" or not a real cast member, he sticks with us to help us save the planet. I don't think he really needed anything extra to like... legitimize him

Also not to pile on the negatives, Cid so far feels like a completely different person and I don't like it. If it turns out to be intentional because of alternate reality stuff then whatever I hope it does pay off, but I'm not really digging the Cid stuff so far.

To say something positive, I DO really like all the expanded Cait Sith stuff, he feels quite a bit more fleshed out here. Also dropkicking enemies with the giant moogle is hilarious, and the dice move occasionally will spawn your equipped summon which is also hilarious

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

They kind of had to make Cid different. It wouldn't have gone over well if they made him basically a domestic abuser like the original

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Macaluso posted:

I wonder if some of that is meant for people who are playing this for the first time instead of the OG. To me as someone who played the original, the Black Materia didn't need any expending to be honest, neither did I really need the alien not returning to the life stream thing. The Cetra bit IS I think a little interesting, but you don't really need the Gi for that. The Gi thing never has any impact in how I viewed Red either, I didn't view it as him being a "hanger on" or not a real cast member, he sticks with us to help us save the planet. I don't think he really needed anything extra to like... legitimize him

I think it's meant for people playing this game whether or not you've played the original. When you're really fleshing out the world and setting like this you can't have major plot elements just exist as a contextless macguffin without coming off as weird the same way you could in, like, the original FF7 a game that's in a lot of ways just a jumped-up SNES era RPG when it comes to what it's depicting in abstract. You can't really do a game where you talk about the history of Kalm and how it gets mako power or the ecological role of the elphadunk but then the black materia is just some random poo poo kept in a temple with nothing attached to it in the story or world

also whether or not you felt that way about Red in the original that's what he ends up as. He completely ceases to be a character after Cosmo Canyon, only having marginally more lines than Cait Sith or the two completely optional party members. It's, again, something you can' t really get away with in this game where you're greatly developing every character's personality.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

goethe.cx posted:

They kind of had to make Cid different. It wouldn't have gone over well if they made him basically a domestic abuser like the original

I mean sure, but his personality, at least so far, isn't really the same even outside of that. I think it's fine removing the domestic abuse stuff, that part was always uncomfortable and weird, but you could still have him be cantankerous and angry. Shinra gives him plenty of reasons to be. So far all the characters have felt very true to their original versions, Cid doesn't so far. But maybe that will change in the future I have no idea yet if Rebirth goes to Rocket Town, I'm currently heading for the 2nd Gold Saucer visit, which I know happens after Rocket Town in the original. I sure hope it eventually happens because I really want to see Palmer get hit by a truck in HD

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

what kind of materia buff is it anyway, is it a damage boost or

Ita character specific IRC.

Im not sure if it mentioned anywhere else but if you select a buffed spell in combat the small description under it says what it does.

For example Cloud's spells will buff his sword with elemental damage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Gi Tribe stuff is really cool imo. Great vibes

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Macaluso posted:

This is me being nitpicky about certain changes but I'm not a huge fan of the gang immediately, upon getting to the gates of Nibelheim right there on the spot, figuring out that everything is brand new and Shinra rebuilt the town. I much more preferred the slower burn of getting to the town and the initial confusion about why it looks exactly like it used to, and then you learn about the rebuilding through notes you find in one of the buildings. Nitpicky as well, I also kind of feel like this is one of those instances where they put too many people in the town, where Nibelheim should not feel this crowded

I feel kinda nitpicky about it too; I also didn't like how Tifa straight-up told the supervisor 'I lived here until, you know...' Lady, you're one of the only survivors of a massive top-secret conspiracy. Why you just coming out and admitting you know about it?! Then again, nobody seemed to care.

I also think having it be a care spot for black robes took away one of the biggest creepy things from the original. The town was just full of cloaks. You didn't know why. Then from files and a few dialogue bits the cloaks mutter at you, you realize oh gently caress, they're the survivors from the fire.

Unless I missed some incidental dialogue, I don't think that was hinted at, aside from in the town hall maybe?

Positive bit about the Nibelheim section, Barret's dialogue when you pick up a quest that involves investigating the Manor.

"I was even voted 'Bravest Buddy' back in the day!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blockhouse posted:

They all do damage and one additional thing depending on the move: unlimited MP, increase stagger time, or raise limit level allowing you to use level 2 limit breaks on those two characters.

gently caress me, 50 hours in and I thought the limit ones just increased your bar. I had no idea why some characters were occasionally able to do level 2 breaks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
lmao I don't know what I expected but Rulers of the Outer Worlds is even worse than I could have imagined. It's literally the first round and Kujata just straight up cheats. He channels two elements at a time, they seem to not be removable, but also even then he just did Tri Disaster early without finishing charging either of them, and it made my wards disappear during the cutscene in order to bypass the invuln. Hilariously Aerith ended up being the tank for that (by absorbing fire, so, can somewhat ignore Phoenix) and Cloud and Cait just can't keep themselves alive against the AoEs. It's my understanding that after four rounds of similar bullshit there is going to be an entirely new foe with new unforseeable bullshit to get blindsided by. Game Design!

These fights were barely tolerable the first time when they could at least be retried at will (also I think you can use items in the Temperings but I didn't)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I mean sure, but his personality, at least so far, isn't really the same even outside of that. I think it's fine removing the domestic abuse stuff, that part was always uncomfortable and weird, but you could still have him be cantankerous and angry. Shinra gives him plenty of reasons to be. So far all the characters have felt very true to their original versions, Cid doesn't so far. But maybe that will change in the future I have no idea yet if Rebirth goes to Rocket Town, I'm currently heading for the 2nd Gold Saucer visit, which I know happens after Rocket Town in the original. I sure hope it eventually happens because I really want to see Palmer get hit by a truck in HD

The problem there is that Cid is actually largely the product of translation choices, not the original script. He wasn't cantankerous and angry, at least not to the degree the translation played it up. Even if you look at the rest of the original English script Cid isn't really like that except for the fact they had him curse a lot. Cid's initial impression (which matters a lot) in the original game is a lot harsher because you run right into him screaming at his sorta-wife like a crazy person. In Rebirth they introduce him without rushing right into the "screaming and cursing at his cowering love interest" and they don't make the changes the translations did to his personality and the end result is that he seems extra soft as opposed to "FF7 had kind of a poo poo translation."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 24, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think when we get to Cid's place he's going to be a deadbeat absentee husband that sucks.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Shera living in Cid's house as a willingly indentured servant that cooks and cleans and gets yelled at because she thinks she deserves it and owes him for ruining his dream, felt kinda insane to me in the OG. I wouldn't be surprised if they heavily change that stuff. Though I think he'll probably get more cagey and resentful while the party is in Rocket Town.

e: Like to be clear I don't mean you can't have a character have problematic behavior as part of their arc, or that they need to completely sanitize Cid. What I mean is the part where you at first you assume Cid's an abusive husband, but then he clarifies that they aren't married or in a relationship, and she's just his slave that he hates, feels a step too wild.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 24, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every intimate relationship in OG FF7 is so thoroughly damaged that cid and shera sort of fade into the background

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Cid and Shera is a thing that could work, with careful handling, because, it's like. Deeply faceted? It's as compelling as it is contradictory and as it is deeply hosed up, like, Cid is wholly at fault, but it's kinda sorta just at the point where you can get close enough to seeing his side that it becomes frightening, like, you can see clearly from outside that he shouldn't be like that but that's not the same as being absolutely certain that you would not at least think the same in that situation, and that's what makes the character stick even when you don't sympathise. It's like. She saved his life at the cost of his dream, and even if you smooth out some edges and have a less smoky sweary Cid and give Shera a better time of it and otherwise hold fast to that T rating and even without anyone being told to drink their goddamn tea, I think you can still have the dynamic where he loves her and resents her at the same time. Maybe they can have him finally reckon with it, or maybe they can have it finally blow up and she actually leaves him, but I think it can work. Like, I don't know, one thing these games have shown beyond a doubt is that they get the characters, even when we criticise the broader writing or the scene direction or the gameplay integration or whatever, they loving get who these people are, it has been Known ever since Cloud couldn't help smirking to himself after impressing Jessie with his acrobatics back in Reactor 1. I am pretty sure we are gonna get some goddamn Cid, one way or another, and we're gonna all have feelings about it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyway what's the AP grind. I need to level up an Elemental and a Magnify real quick.

e: is there an AP increasing armour? I swear I saw it mentioned but I am at like 99.9% content completion and haven't seen it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fedule posted:

Anyway what's the AP grind. I need to level up an Elemental and a Magnify real quick.

e: is there an AP increasing armour? I swear I saw it mentioned but I am at like 99.9% content completion and haven't seen it.

chocobo armlet triples AP gain

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Based on reactions here I was sorta dreading Temple of the Ancients, but it ended up being cool as gently caress and one of my favorite parts of the game.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

chocobo armlet triples AP gain

Would it give 6x to one materia if the other was AP Plus? Cuz that'd be rad.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Finally beat Rebirth and hit credits earlier today. Clocked in at ~80 hours of play. While I have some complaints (most minigames not being fun, Red XIII and Cait Sith not clicking well with me in combat compared to the rest of the cast, the 2-3 times the game sends you into long boss gauntlets, sometimes with difficulty spikes I just was not prepared for around chapter 11/12) overall I had a good time.

I'm glad I hit the point of no return and went back to do a bunch of the side content I skipped. Cosmo Canyon ended up being my favorite open world map to tackle that I had completely skipped up until then.

Really enjoyed the Temple of the Ancients, I liked the light puzzle solving, how if you got lost the black cloaks would literally point you in the right direction, and now I can't help but imagine Aerith dual fisting two 2-liters of Mako Dew cackling like a madwoman obliterating everything around her with lasers. Actually started clapping with joy when I got another Reno/Rude fight.

Mixed feeling about the story, especially with regards to the whole multiverse shenanigans, but that might just be because of bad timing due to multiverse fatigue caused by the MCU.

Starshower continues to be the best ability to use A++ would obliterate jerks with it again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

Cid and Shera is a thing that could work, with careful handling, because, it's like. Deeply faceted? It's as compelling as it is contradictory and as it is deeply hosed up, like, Cid is wholly at fault, but it's kinda sorta just at the point where you can get close enough to seeing his side that it becomes frightening, like, you can see clearly from outside that he shouldn't be like that but that's not the same as being absolutely certain that you would not at least think the same in that situation, and that's what makes the character stick even when you don't sympathise. It's like. She saved his life at the cost of his dream, and even if you smooth out some edges and have a less smoky sweary Cid and give Shera a better time of it and otherwise hold fast to that T rating and even without anyone being told to drink their goddamn tea, I think you can still have the dynamic where he loves her and resents her at the same time. Maybe they can have him finally reckon with it, or maybe they can have it finally blow up and she actually leaves him, but I think it can work. Like, I don't know, one thing these games have shown beyond a doubt is that they get the characters, even when we criticise the broader writing or the scene direction or the gameplay integration or whatever, they loving get who these people are, it has been Known ever since Cloud couldn't help smirking to himself after impressing Jessie with his acrobatics back in Reactor 1. I am pretty sure we are gonna get some goddamn Cid, one way or another, and we're gonna all have feelings about it.

Normally I’d be worried but they somehow nailed the Honeybee Inn so I’m optimistic about how they’ll adapt this too

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm at nibelham and have been purchasing bulk hp up materia and stacking it on whatever character I'm using as a tank since as soon as I could in the game and I only just now bothered to read the materia details and saw that it has a hard cap at 30% per character so I've essentially been walking around with at least 3 empty materia slots on a character for most of the game. The upside is they're all levelled up now so I have almost enough HP plus materia for everyone in the party to have one!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Aerith and Tifa are really having fun on this trip.
Kind of forgot what we were suppose to be doing in the main plot.

Chap. 5 was pretty quick

I liked the personalities they gave to the Shinra soldiers that are in your parade squad. Felt a bit of emotion at the end. I do like the focus on the general population more and showing what's like on ground level.
Not liking Roche at all whenever he shows up. Cause its gonna take another game installment to get his backstory. Are they planning some spinoff or movie for him or something.

Hojo is a great slimeball.

I haven't really been using Red XIII at all, he does seem solid. Seems to be as agile as Tifa, hits almost as heavy as Cloud and tanky like Barret. 3 party slots.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
holy poo poo I just realized I never even went in the honeybee inn in ff7og

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is the Jump materia worth using? I paired it with HP Absorb, but haven’t done much testing to see how well it works.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

holy poo poo I just realized I never even went in the honeybee inn in ff7og

lol you should look it up on youtube if only for how weird it gets. there are a couple moments that are ripped straight from twin peaks. and some casual homophobia, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is the Jump materia worth using? I paired it with HP Absorb, but haven’t done much testing to see how well it works.

It makes you invincible for a long time so it probably has some use in solo sections