Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Check for sane people as we go to the cabins, quick glances. Everyone we can save is a bonus. Yell 'Abandon ship!' at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

AJ_Impy posted:

Check for sane people as we go to the cabins, quick glances. Everyone we can save is a bonus. Yell 'Abandon ship!' at people.

Agreeing with this line of action

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

>Keep it together and get to the cabins. See if Strom is still anywhere near his as well, if you have the time.

You look up at the ceiling, and focus, screwing your eyes shut. Then you look down and make eye contact with Echo.

KYLIE: OK. Yeah, we can head to the cabins. But we're going to keep an eye out for anyone who isn't Signal-touched, okay, so we can point them to the lifeboats. And I know Strom stayed in his cabin. It shouldn't be too far from yours.

ECHO: Alright. I know he's a good enough marksman with that blunderbuss of his... I wouldn't object to the dwarf coming along.

The pair of you dash down the corridor, dodging between crazed passengers or trying to calm down the sane ones. You're familiar enough with airships that you can give basic directions to where they can find the ship's emergency lifeboats. Along the way, Echo braces passengers who have fallen to the Signal's influence and puts them out of their misery with a single shot to the head, which makes you slightly nauseous. You know that it's not exactly like you can bundle them off to an asylum, but you really, really wish you could do something better for them. You promise to yourself quietly that someday, you'll be one of those really GREAT Immunizers who can heal the sick with a benediction.

At one point, you're forced to take a detour through a maintainance corridor due to a fire causing some emergency blast doors to seal shut. You can tell that Echo isn't happy with the tight confines. You give her a questioning glance.

ECHO: More opportunities for getting bottlenecked or ambushed, Gearspirit.

KYLIE: Oh.

ECHO: It's fine, just stay close behind me.

You pass by a dead crew member with a broken neck and bite marks on his face, and both of his eyes gouged out. You notice you're near the staff entrance to the dining hall, and there's the sound of a battle. You can hear gunfire, and the muffled roar of... well, if you didn't know better, you'd think that was a cannon.

STROM: *BOOM* YE'LL NEED TA TRY HARDER THAN THAT TO GET TA ME, YA MAD BASTARDS!

As you and Echo exchange a look, the ship groans and shudders. You hear distant snapping sounds, though the airship seems stable. For now.

> Now what?

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 18, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Propose checking out the source of the cannon and loud shouting dwarf noises.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Propose checking out the source of the cannon and loud shouting dwarf noises.

Do you mean that you proposing to everyone (the players) that Kylie should do this, or that Kylie should propose this plan of action to Echo? (Might seem like a nitpick, I know.)

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

JessAlias posted:

Do you mean that you proposing to everyone (the players) that Kylie should do this, or that Kylie should propose this plan of action to Echo?
Kylie proposing it to Echo, that's what I meant, sorry.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Kylie proposing it to Echo, that's what I meant, sorry.

No problem! I'll wait to see a few more votes come in, and then we'll get rolling again.

Also I'm wondering, would anyone be interested in a sidebar update where I explain exactly HOW I'm using AI to help write this story and introduce randomness? It might help with understanding the way prompts work for this particular CYOA.

Or would folks prefer I just focus on the story?

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 18, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Check out the dwarf and cannon.

Action rather than suggestion in a time crunch.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Check out the dwarf and cannon.
> Propose checking out the source of the cannon and loud shouting dwarf noises.

You manage to crack the doorway open. It looks like Strom, along with a few officers from the airship's crew, have managed to barricade themselves with some tables that they toppled over. Both maddened passengers and even some crewmembers have evidently been trying to rush the group. As you watch, Strom pops up over the barricade, and unloads with his massive blunderbuss. The sound of the gun firing makes your ears ring, and a part of you wonders how he even manages to stay standing after firing. Behind the barricade are a group of unarmed survivors, who both the crew along with Strom are clearly trying to protect.

On the one hand, the weight of firepower is impressive. The problem is that some of the maddened crew are ALSO armed, and worst of all, their altered state of consciousness makes them more resistant to gunfire. You see some of them fall to the ground, only to pick themselves back up despite horrific wounds. It's like their cogitators don't realize they're dead yet.

You and Echo could definitely help, but this is not an easy fight to get jump into. Especially because you're not armed. The most you could do is attempt some probability magic to bless the friendly folks, along with healing or other support.

ECHO: Interesting... well, it looks like they're holding out well enough on their own. We should get going while we still can.

KYLIE: H-huh? What, no! We should help them!

ECHO: Why? Look at it this way. We run over there, maybe they'll think we're compromised by the Signal and shoot us instead.

ECHO: Let them fight it out. Your dwarf friend will be fine. We have our own needs to take care of.

>

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Edit: Vote changed.

AJ_Impy posted:

Yell at the survivors that we need to abandon ship. Distract the changed ones. If they drop, get the weapons off them.
Seconding this course of action.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 18, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yell at the survivors that we need to abandon ship. Distract the changed ones. If they drop, get the weapons off them.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

One for intervening, one for leaving the group to continue to the cabin.

Tied vote. Either someone changes their vote, or someone comes in and breaks the tie.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Yell at the survivors that we need to abandon ship. Distract the changed ones. If they drop, get the weapons off them.

You briefly consider following Echo's lead. But... this is wrong. You can't just move on and hope for the best. Strom's a friend, and there are innocent people who need to be protected. You would NEVER be able to forgive yourself if you didn't try to do something to save additional lives.

KYLIE: Stay here. If things go sour, come in and help?

ECHO: Kylie!

You raise your hands as Echo reaches out to stop you, and before she can pull you back you slam the door open and quickly step into the room.

KYLIE: EVERYBODY! DON'T WORRY, I'M UNCORRUPTED! YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO ME, WE HAVE TO ABANDON SHIP!

There's a moment of confusion as the survivors stare at you, and even their maddened attackers take pause. You hear Echo cursing as she takes point next to you, obviously realizing that you're basically unarmed and defenseless.

Strom gives you a huge grin, baring his teeth, and you hear a metallic clank and click as he loads a huge canister round into his breechloading blunderbuss.

STROM: Thank ye, lassie! I was thinkin' this was a hopeless stand, but ye got 'em good and distracted!

With that, he unloads again with his gun, causing one of the maddened passengers to literally get cut in two. It's a visceral and horrific sight.

COMBAT ENCOUNTER

Note: Welcome to our first proper combat encounter! Here are the rules:

- Each party member is allowed a single action.
- If HEALTH reaches 0, that character dies.
- Low morale gives a penalty to all rolls.
- If MORALE reaches 0, that character either hides, goes berserk, or attempts to flee.
- CORRUPTION has unpredictable effects during combat.
- If CORRUPTION reaches 5, that character is no longer controllable.
- A character can choose to do ONE of the following actions:

1. ATTACK: Attacks a single target.
2. SKILL: Character uses an available skill.
3. GUARD: Character forgoes an action, choosing to defend either themselves, or a party member. Gives a bonus to resisting attacks.

Actions can only be assigned to party members. NPCs and enemies cannot be controlled, and you have limited insight into their skills, and their inventory.

Make your choices with the following format:
> KYLIE: Cast SHIELD on STROM.
> STROM: Attack the first MAD CREW.
> ECHO: Use TAUNT on the second MAD CREW.

If anything seems unclear, please ask questions!

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 18, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
How will damage from a skill or attack be determined?

KYLIE: Cast BLINDING LIGHT on hostiles.
STROM: Use CLEAR THE DECK skill.
ECHO: Attack second MAD CREW.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

How will damage from a skill or attack be determined?

KYLIE: Cast BLINDING LIGHT on hostiles.
STROM: Use CLEAR THE DECK skill.
ECHO: Attack second MAD CREW.

Dierolls will determine if the attack hits or not. Depending on the level of success, damage is modified. Base damage for small arms like pistols is usually between 1-2. Strom's blunderbuss is 3-4. So a GOOD hit, (>15 dieroll) for the blunderbuss can potentially insta-kill an enemy with a single shot. As a rule of thumb you need to roll >10 to make a hit. Of course, modifiers will come into play as well.

When fighting barehanded, damage is very much luck based. The characters in this fight scene are not martial artists. This may change...

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

JessAlias posted:

Dierolls will determine if the attack hits or not. Depending on the level of success, damage is modified. Base damage for small arms like pistols is usually between 1-2. Strom's blunderbuss is 3-4. So a GOOD hit, (>15 dieroll) for the blunderbuss can potentially insta-kill an enemy with a single shot. As a rule of thumb you need to roll >10 to make a hit. Of course, modifiers will come into play as well.

When fighting barehanded, damage is very much luck based. The characters in this fight scene are not martial artists. This may change...
Is there any initiative system or will the party automatically go first in a combat encounter?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Is there any initiative system or will the party automatically go first in a combat encounter?

The party is going first in this encounter due to taking the enemy by surprise. Not to mention the fact that this is a bit of a tutorial! Otherwise, we'll be rolling for initiative.

Though keep in mind - I am not using a full tabletop roleplaying system. This is geared more to be more like a JRPG than full on DnD/Pathfinder/Etc.

Hope this helps!

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 19, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

COMBAT - ROUND 1

PARTY ACTIONS

PARTY RESULTS

PARTY TURN ENDS.

HOSTILE ACTIONS

HOSTILE RESULTS

> END OF ROUND 1 - PLEASE SUBMIT COMMANDS FOR ROUND 2.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
KYLIE: Cast BLESS on party.
STROM: Attack third MAD CVLN
ECHO: Attack MAD CREW 1

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

COMBAT - ROUND 2

PARTY ACTIONS

PARTY RESULTS

PARTY TURN ENDS.

HOSTILE ACTIONS

HOSTILE RESULTS

> END OF ROUND 2 - PLEASE SUBMIT COMMANDS FOR ROUND 3.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 19, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
KYLIE: Cast HEAL on STROM
STROM: Attack MAD CVLN 5
ECHO: Attack MAD CVLN 2

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 19, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

COMBAT - ROUND 3

PARTY ACTIONS

PARTY RESULTS

END OF COMBAT - VICTORY!

After the melee, you focus on using your healing programs to patch up your friends, along with the other survivors. Echo waits impatiently, tugging absently at a bandaged bite mark on her arm.

ECHO: We need to get moving.

STROM:Aye, we need to get to the helm. According ta the crew, the captain and the navigator ordered 'em all out, and barricaded themselves up there. If we can get there, maybe we can save this blasted flying machine.

ECHO: What? No, that's insane. I need to get my gear, then we all head to the lifeboats.

STROM:What, and leave all the rest of the passengers to die? That's just not right.

ECHO: Who cares what's right? Let's get real for a moment - some of us won't even make it to the lifeboats as it is! And think about it... what's going to happen when we do have to land? Even if we go up there and kill the captain and the navigator, none of us know how to fly this loving thing!

KYLIE: Um-

STROM:The hell is wrong with you? Are you some kind of coward? This dwarf isn't just going to tuck his tail and run away when there are things that need doin'!

KYLIE: Um-

ECHO: You should be worrying about survival instead of some futile gesture of nobility!

STROM:An' what if it were Calypso riding in this fuckin' ship? I bet you'd be bending over backwards to save her. But several hundred regular blokes just like you and I? Sure, let's just leave 'em to all rot!

An argument erupts between the pair, and as they shout at each other, you feel the ship shudder and shake. You wring your hands nervously, take a deep breath, and yell over the pair of them.

KYLIE: I know how to fly airships!

Silence falls over the group as the arguing stops. Echo and Strom both stare at you.

KYLIE: One of my progenitors - Dora Wordsworth - was a helmswoman in the Caledonian Navy for 20 years. So I can fly this thing if we get to the helm, if I have to.

Echo folds her arms, still clearly unhappy with the very concept.

ECHO: By the time we get there, this airship will have fallen apart. It's not worth the risk, Kylie.

STROM:Lad- ah, lassie, I'll support ya if you think we can do it.

>

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Lead the way to the helm. Reassure everyone that this is the best course of action owing to the risk in detaching a lifeboat with the speed what it is.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

AJ_Impy posted:

Lead the way to the helm. Reassure everyone that this is the best course of action owing to the risk in detaching a lifeboat with the speed what it is.
This, you also need to steer the airship away from the direction of the Signal tower.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 19, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Lead the way to the helm. Reassure everyone that this is the best course of action owing to the risk in detaching a lifeboat with the speed what it is.
> This, you also need to steer the airship away from the direction of the Signal tower.

INSIGHT ROLL: 11 +2 PERK BONUS = FINAL ROLL 13

Glancing around the room, you do your best to sound confident and certain, like you actually know what you're doing. You really don't, but you know for a fact that Echo will eat you alive if you just try to appeal to empathy or 'doing the right thing.'

KYLIE: Echo, if you're wanting to talk about risk, here's the situation.

You hold up a finger.

KYLIE: One, we're flying far outside the safe operating limit for this airship. Even if we take a lifeboat, they're not built to eject at this kind of velocity. We'd have about as much luck going down with the ship.

You hold up a second finger.

KYLIE: Two, right now this ship is plotting a course straight for the Signal Tower. We need to at least start it charting a course away from that accursed thing, so if we do eject, we aren't landing right at the heart of Signal-land.

KYLIE: Echo, I'm not your superior, so I can't stop you doing what you want to do alone. But I can say that for me and Strom, we're going to the helm. What do you say?

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 20 +2 PERK BONUS = FINAL ROLL 22. CRITICAL SUCCESS!

The entire group falls silent, eyes turning towards Echo. The calypsian looks away from you, and presses her lips into a thin line. She drums her fingers on her gun for a moment. Then she lets out a long sigh

ECHO: Fine. You're right.

KYLIE: Oh my cogs, you actually agreed to that!?

ECHO: Our prime directive is to ensure the continuation of the calypsian race. A head-on collision with the Signal Tower will not serve that purpose. So I am in agreement with you, Gearspirit.

Your excitment overcomes you, and you can't help but give Echo a big hug. She tenses up a bit, but then relaxes with a huff, patting your back once.

KYLIE: Yay! I promise I'll get us back on the ground safe and sound.

Echo mumbles something under her breath and turns, gathering the discarded weapons from the dead crewmembers. You notice she's blushing a bit for some reason.

You jump a bit when Strom gives you a mighty slap on the back, it almost sends you tumbling over.

STROM: Good speech, lassie. With that said, what's the plan? Are we taking the crew with us, or leaving 'em to guard the other passengers?

>

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Edit: Changed vote
Take everyone we can along, make sure they're armed and ready. Be wary of another light from the Signal.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 20, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All in. Everyone, arm up and come with. All our lives are on the line, no half measures.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> All in. Everyone, arm up and come with. All our lives are on the line, no half measures.
> Take everyone we can along, make sure they're armed and ready. Be wary of another light from the Signal.

You glance out the window at the baleful, slumbering glow of the Signal Tower, thinking. You have no idea what you and your friends will come across when you reach the helm. And in truth, you really have no idea if you can get this airship safely away from Thibaut and land it without killing everyone on board.

KYLIE: All in. Everyone, arm up and come with.

STROM: Hah! That's the spirit.

Echo looks up, and strides over carrying the looted weapons.

ECHO: We're going to be carrying around dead weight, it sounds like?

STROM: Don't ye worry, lassie, I'm sure even the non-combatants here'll pull their own weight when push comes ta shove.

ECHO: Mmh. I think it could lead to chaos, but we'll see. Though there's still the question of my gear.

KYLIE: Echo... you're starting to sound like a broken record.

ECHO: Yes, well, my capabilities are just a bit limited without proper armament. Besides...

She tilts her head, her expression unreadable.

ECHO: If I head over to the cabins I can also fetch your half-elf boyfriend.

KYLIE: W-what? What does he have to do with anything?

ECHO: Didn't you want to check on him and make sure he's okay?

KYLIE: I- y-yeah, well...

ECHO: So there you go. You can head up to the helm with the rabble, I'll grab him and my kit, and catch up. What do you think?

>

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Good idea, and co-opt any other still sane folk on the way. Good luck.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Let Echo go retrieve her gear and catch up, wish her good luck and safety.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Good idea, and co-opt any other still sane folk on the way. Good luck.

> Let Echo go retrieve her gear and catch up, wish her good luck and safety.

You chew on your lip nervously. But... Echo isn't wrong. It makes sense. It's a tactical choice to acquire more gear, and to hopefully locate the last member of the party. Even if losing Echo for a bit is more than a little dangerous... well... you figure that the other crew and passengers you picked up will be able to help.

KYLIE: ...OK. Sure. But... take care of yourself. I... we need you around.

She spins on her heel, and then pauses, glancing over her shoulder at you.

ECHO: And Gearspirit... stay safe.

She exits the dining hall before you can respond. You absently tuck some of your hair behind your ear.

KYLIE: --Yeah! Anyway.

You turn and regard the motley crew that have assembled to lend a hand. There are the two armed crew members who helped you out in the earlier fight, along with Strom. Then there are a half dozen passengers... Echo was only able to salvage two guns from the maddened crew members, so while you're able to arm two passengers, the rest will have to rely on the crew members and Strom for firepower.

Everyone in the group has a wide-eyed look, though most are keeping it together decently well. It's obviously clear that nobody wants to get involved in all of this... but it's not like any of you have a choice.

You move to take point, and Strom gives you a glare.

STROM: Don't ye be pullin' no heroics now, lassie. This dwarf's been through more scraps than ye've been through jus' breathin', so let me take point here.

KYLIE: Okay, you take point.

Strom gives a satisfied grunt, and takes the lead instead of you. You actually don't mind the chance to stay in back. The prospect of getting gunned down by the crazed captain and navigator is enough to give you pause. You're no fighter, that's for sure.

The trek to the helm of the airship is mercifully uneventful... at least for the first couple of minutes. The madness hasn't quite spread to the engine room or other parts of the ship that aren't directly exposed to the Signal Tower, which means there aren't a lot of Signal-touched crewmembers on your route to the helm.

But slowly, the corrupted passengers begin to filter into your path as you descend into the central parts of the ship. In small numbers, the party is able to handle them pretty easily. But then things start to go sideways.

You hear the scream of an elderly newman over the din of gunfire, and out of the corner of your eye watch her get knocked down by a frothing lunatic. The madwoman grins wildly as she begins to choke her victim, despite the gunshot wound in her side, and a male passenger lets out a roar of fury and dashes into her, knocking her off of the old lady.

In a fit of panic, you grab a wrench from a discarded toolbox lying nearby and dash at the pair, whacking the Signal-touched woman across the head as hard as you can. She immediately lets go of the male passenger, and slides to the ground limp, her head half caved in from your attack.
You stare in shock, and retch loudly.

KYLIE: Gods! Oh - oh my-

The male passenger looks up at you in gratitude, but you turn away, hyperventilating. You've never killed someone before. You take a moment to lean against the wall of the corridor and collect yourself as Strom and the other armed people put down the rest of the mad attackers.

STROM: Ye alright there, lassie?

KYLIE: Yeah, uh...I, I, I'm fine.

You continue panting, trying to collect your senses, when you feel a rough and weathered hand pat your arm comfortingly. You look over and see Strom give you a smile, and he holds out his blunderbuss.

STROM: Give ye some distance from it all if ye want.

You pause for a moment, and shake your head.

KYLIE: I... wouldn't know nearly as well how to handle it as you.

STROM: Right. Keep it together, then. We've got this.

As he pats your arm once more, he moves off, reloading his massive firearm. You glance at the body of your downed attacker, and feel your gorge rise. A part of you wishes you were home, with every fiber of your being. And not just back at the Cathedron... you mean home home. With your alpha and beta progenitor and everyone else in rural Vigil. You rub your face a bit, and move to follow Strom.

Eventually, your motley crew makes it to reinforced steel and brass door of the helm. It is locked down completely, an emergency override activated by the captain inside. It's going to take work to get in.

Strom gazes calmly at the door, stroking his beard.

STROM: I see two ways at gettin' in. One would be ta try an' blow the door open. I got the grenades for that.

STROM: The other is ta try and defeat the lockin' mechanism. I'm sure it'd be easy, but it'd take time unless I'm lucky.

STROM: Unless y'have a better idea, lassie?

>

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 21, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Have Strom work on the locking mechanism. Try to recall any knowledge received from your airship mechanic progenitor that could help speed the process up.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 21, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Have Strom work on the locking mechanism. Try to recall any knowledge received from your airship mechanic progenitor that could help speed the process up.

You tap your chin in thought. You don't think blowing up the door is the best of plans... granted, the whole situation is fraught with peril, but you'd rather not scuttle the airship when you're still inside it. As for the lock...

KYLIE: Actually, I think I can help speed that along, if you help me barricade the entrance?

STROM: Sure enough!

You have the party haul spare crates and other heavy objects out of the nearby storeroom to use as a barricade. After helping reinforce it, you turn to the control panel itself and kneel down to inspect it more closely. You carefully remove a plate and set it aside, gazing at the tightly-packed electrical circuitry within.

DISARM ROLL: 1

Unfortunately, while your beta, Dora, was an amazing airship mechanic and loved to take you aboard as a youngster while she worked her magic, you have no clue how to bypass the security look. After a short period of frustrated fiddling, you hang your head in defeat.

KYLIE: I'm sorry, Strom. I got nothing.

STROM: Hm! Let me take a gander here, then.

The dwarf drops to one knee beside you and looks into the open panel with a critical eye, running his thumb over his lower lip. Then he reaches into a small pouch on his belt and pulls out a set of tools before beginning to tweak some of the wiring within the panel. He's surprisingly delicate with his work.

DISARM ROLL: 9 +4 PERK BONUS = 13

STROM: Let me try this... an' this...

Time passes, and you and the other survivors keep nervously glancing past the barricade for an unwelcome surprise. Luckily, nothing happens. After about 10 long minutes, there's a brief shower of sparks from within the panel, followed by the faint hum of electronic equipment engaging. And then there's a resounding click from the heavy brass and steel door, and Strom lets out a snort as he sits back.

STROM: There we are! Looks like you did your part well enough after all, lassie.

KYLIE: Are you kidding? You did all the work there!

STROM: Naw... you gave me some moral support, eh?

>

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Carefully and quickly prepare to head in to the helm and take control. Consider trying to blind those within first before going on the attack.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 21, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Carefully and quickly prepare to head in to the helm and take control. Consider trying to blind those within first before going on the attack.

You give Strom a smile, and he winks at you as he picks up his blunderbuss again. You glance out of the barricade again... everything is quiet. That's almost worse than if there was something in the passageway - at least if there were madmen out there you'd know what to expect. You turn, and gesture at the unlocked door.

KYLIE: Can you like... oil it, or something, so we can make a quiet entrance? I'm going to see if I can blind the captain and the navigator, so we can take back control.

STROM: On it.

As he oils the door, you quietly pray to the Prime Intelligence. He doesn't answer you directly... but you can feel the quiet confidence born of your faith. You ready yourself to cast a Blinding Light spell when Strom gives you the signal that he's done with the door.

The dwarf readies himself on the other side of the door, his gun held in both hands with practiced ease, his eyes steely as he glances back at you. The other armed survivors are at your back as well - including the elderly newman that you saved earlier, who is holding her pistol with shaking hands. You close your eyes for a moment, and then look at Strom again.

KYLIE: Ready when you are.

He gives a nod, and you rush to the doorway, tapping the activation code on your dataspool as you utter a Catechism of Blinding Light under your breath. The Dataspool immediately registers that you're trying to cast a program, and there is a brief shower of sparks and electrosensation that makes you gasp as probability magic flows into your body from your dataspool, through your fingertips, and into the outside world.

Both you and Strom rush into helm, and it appears... empty? You take a moment to take in your surroundings.

The helm is cavernous, loaded down with dials and displays and control consoles, along with various cabinets for storage, maps, and charts. At the front of the room is a large reinforced window that looks out over the bow of the airship, framed by enormous brass arches. Dominating the center of the helm is the ship's wheel - a huge construction that's nearly 6 feet tall, connected to an elaborate series of gearworks and pistons that are needed to turn it.

Normally, you'd delight in the engineered precision of the helm, a testament to newman ingenuity and resourcefulness. But the entire room is illuminated with a hellish glow... the Signal Tower.

You have done your absolute utmost to move as quickly as possible, but delays were necessary during the trip here. The airship is still headed towards the Signal Tower at a frightening pace. It looms in front of you, its baleful crimson light and the malevolent red orb at its peak leering hungrily over the skyship's bow like some slavering predator stalking its prey.

You, Strom, and your compatriots pause and stare out the window in awe. The Tower dwarfs even the Grand Cathedron of Caledon, and you feel yourself tremble a bit, just imagining the ancient humans who managed to build such a titanic structure... as you wonder what caused them to use it in such an awful way.

Then a voice rings out, pulling you out of your reverie.

CAPTAIN: Stay thy course, Kylie Gearspirit!

Both you, Strom, and your compatriots wheel around. Your right hand is on your dataspool, and your left is raised in preparation to cast another program... but the Captain is just standing off to one side, hands raised up. Next to her is standing the navigator, who has his head bowed, his face in his hands. You can see a bloody bandage wrapped around his head... or more accurately, wrapped around where his eyes should be.

STROM: Well... looks like we didn't need ta oiled that door after all. Bastards were expectin' us.

CAPTAIN: Kylie, I mean you no harm. You're here for answers, of course. I can give them to you.

You take a moment to examine the current captain of the New Horizon. She almost seems normal - in fact, even better than the last time you saw her. Before she looked exhausted and uncertain, but now she radiates command and authority. The only thing out of place is her dress uniform - while mostly neat and clean, her entire outfit is stained with blood. On one hip she has a military saber clipped to her belt, and on her other hip lies an armbreaker of a revolver, still in its' holster.

CAPTAIN: You want to know what happened here today, yes?

>

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Ask what's up, but engage her cautiously. The Captain is obviously touched or enhanced somehow. Try to sense for anything you could use to your advantage.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Estimate how long until we hit the signal tower. Be mindful of attempts to delay.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Estimate how long until we hit the signal tower. Be mindful of attempts to delay.

You glance from Captain Lockheart to the window, frowning. You all have maybe 15-20 minutes before the airship reaches the Signal Tower. With every second that passes, the influence of Tower becomes stronger... and the risk of the airship breaking up grows.

> Ask what's up, but engage her cautiously. The Captain is obviously touched or enhanced somehow. Try to sense for anything you could use to your advantage.

A part of you feels like trying to talk to the Captain is a bad idea, but maybe something can be gained. After all, she's more well-spoken than most of the Signal-touched madpeople you've run into on the way to the helm. Maybe you could even bring her back to sanity.

KYLIE: I... do, yes. What happened to your friend, Captain Lockheart?

She glances over at at the navigator, who doesn't respond to her at all. You met him once in the dining hall. You vaguely remember his name was Janus Timewinder.

CAPTAIN: He disobeyed my orders by refusing to plot a course towards Thibaut... so I had to discipline him.

Her eyes flick back to meet yours. You realize she's not blinking. Just like the other possessed people, her eyes have turned the same burning, intense red as the Signal. Very unlike the more muted red glow of a calypsian's oculars.

CAPTAIN: It's better now. Without those eyes, he can actually see more clearly now.

KYLIE: That's... awful. How could you do that?

CAPTAIN: Do what? Make him obey my orders? It's what's best for everyone on this ship.

CAPTAIN: Including you, Kylie.

CAPTAIN: You know that your Church of the Immunity is all a sham, don't you?

KYLIE: W-what? That's blasphemy!

CAPTAIN: It's not. The calypsians have it right, the Prime is just a construct. What they have wrong is that there aren't any gods at all, that just science holds sway.

CAPTAIN: I've... seen things. Heard things. Come, now, you can see it too - you can feel the raw power of the Signal. There's a greater being beyond the veil of time and space that watches over us. That guided humanity towards its' salvation through destruction. Only through sacrifice can we reach transcendence.

CAPTAIN: To become God's tool.

KYLIE: You're crazy!

CAPTAIN: Yes. And no. My mind is broken, that much is true.

CAPTAIN: But when you open yourself to the Signal, when you accept what it wants, what it gives? Before I had nothing but suffering and regret, but now... God has lifted me up, and soothed my scars. You gain a terrible certainty and a greater purpose.

KYLIE: ...Suffering and regret? What hurt you so much?

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 2 +2 PERK BONUS = FINAL ROLL 4. FAILURE.

CAPTAIN: No. The past is dead. Now... I am alive, more than ever.

KYLIE: Captain Lockheart, please stop this madness. Let me pilot this airship away from the Signal Tower and back into safe territory. You're risking the lives of hundreds of people.

She smiles faintly.

CAPTAIN: Kylie, little can keep me from what I have planned. Certainly not your feeble entreaties for compassion or mercy. You are simply being stubborn and foolish.

You hear a shifting sound from next to you. Strom has slowly sidled around the helm, and is crouching low. You can see him preparing to swing his massive blunderbuss in a wide arc, hoping to knock Captain Lockheart and her navigator off their feet... and possibly distract them enough to let you make a break for the controls. The two Signal-touched newmans seem oblivious.

>

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Keep them occupied until Strom distracts them, then break for the controls to try and turn this airship around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> Keep them occupied until Strom distracts them, then break for the controls to try and turn this airship around.

You do your absolute best to ignore Strom as he slowly creeps around behind Captain Lockheart, trying not to draw attention to his actions. This is much easier said than done when Strom's idea of stealth involves his heavy leather boots squeaking faintly against the polished wood floor of the helm.

KYLIE: Fine. So explain to me exactly what will happen if we all submit to the Signal?

CAPTAIN: Survival and eternal life. You will be a vessel for God. We will ascend above all others and bring glory to Humanity as we seek out new worlds for us to conquer in His name.

CAPTAIN: It will be quite glorious-

STROM - SNEAK DICE ROLL: 9 VS CAPTAIN - PERCEPTION DICE ROLL 8. SUCCESS!

Strom swings his blunderbuss with frenetic energy, and Captain Lockheart lets out a grunt as it hits her in the back. Her hand shoots out and grabs the barrel of his gun, and Strom stares in disbelief as she effortlessly prevents him from yanking it away, ignoring the huge welt that is already appearing on her back.

She bodyslams the dwarf, knocking him across the helm with the sheer force of her action, and he lets out a bellow of pain as he tumbles end-over-end before slamming into a bulkhead with a heavy thud.

MORALE DICE ROLL: 16. SUCCESS!

While this result was not what you expected, it still achieved the intended purpose of distracting the pair. You manage to keep your nerve, and dart forward, heading straight for the airship's wheel. Captain Lockheart is already on her feet again, and turns to follow you at a walking pace, not bothering to draw her revolver.

CAPTAIN: Kylie! I warned you!

You ignore her, and grab the wheel, using all your strength to turn it as quickly as you can to bring the ship around away from the Signal Tower. The wheel shudders a bit in response - evidently a lock or override has been engaged by either Janus or Fiona in advance - but turns when you try to push on it. Muttering a quick prayer to Prime, you reach under the wheel and search for the hydraulics that link the wheel to the airship's rudders.

MECHANICS DICE ROLL: 20. CRITICAL SUCCESS!

With one mighty pull, you rip apart the hydraulic cables... causing them to shoot out with a blast of high-pressure steam. The wheel slams hard to one side, causing the entire airship to bank at a sharp angle as it shifts away from the SIgnal Tower.

The expression of fury on Captain Lockheart's face is gratifying to see, until she draws her saber with sinuous grace and attempts to hack at you brutally.

Optional Mood Music - Th3 Awak3n1ng

COMBAT ENCOUNTER
PARTY - INITIATIVE ROLL: 10 VS HOSTILES - INITIATIVE ROLL: 11
HOSTILES MOVE FIRST.

HOSTILE ACTIONS

HOSTILE RESULTS

> END OF HOSTILE ACTIONS - PLEASE SUBMIT COMMANDS FOR ROUND 1.