Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Part 3 is going to introduce Aeirth's long lost sister Jaerith, who oddly enough has all of Aerith's OG moves and stats and even voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Dave posted:

I don't disagree with this? I just don't expect her to be a full time party member or be more than Zack/Seph were gameplay wise.

I kind of expect Zack gets a lot more screen time next game and Aerith will be full playable there. Would bet they have a lot more screen time on their end of things, probably having their own form of global journey through the ZackVerse's damned mako-dry planet. It'd give an excuse to reuse some of the open world assets from part 2 at least.

Crisis Core 2: Zack and Aerith's Bogus Journey. (and probably Cloud too, post-northern-crater)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Part 3 is going to introduce Aeirth's long lost sister Jaerith, who oddly enough has all of Aerith's OG moves and stats and even voice.

Hojo is just going to decant Aeerith from a tank

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Part 3 is going to have Zack and Aerith reincarnate as Emerald and Ruby weapon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

And Aerith told her all about her friends, so they can just skip that awkward getting to know each other phase.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rhonne posted:

And Aerith told her all about her friends, so they can just skip that awkward getting to know each other phase.

Nobody even says anything about the Groucho Marx fake-nose-and-mustache she wears the entire time or anything either.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
what if it's all Jenova doing this stuff

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if Jenova will have any agency in the 3rd game. It seems like Sephiroth is in complete control this time(this was the case in the OG but you didn't find out until very late) but maybe it'll turn out to be other way around?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I always thought the real Sephiroth actually died the day he burned down Nibelheim, with Jenova taking his form on for the rest of the time. Even the remake/rebirth games made it clear that Jenova took on the forms of the dead. When 'Glenn' showed up before Rufus it was Jenova masquerading as Sephiroth. It's like an onion

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I always thought the real Sephiroth actually died the day he burned down Nibelheim, with Jenova taking his form on for the rest of the time. Even the remake/rebirth games made it clear that Jenova took on the forms of the dead. When 'Glenn' showed up before Rufus it was Jenova masquerading as Sephiroth. It's like an onion

Sephiroth is really in there in the original, inside the Northern Crater and Whirlwind Maze, that's why Cloud literally has to bring him the Black Materia and there's a whole cutscene about it.

There's kind of a merging of minds, or 'they're using each other' scenario going on, as Jenova is using Sephiroth's form (and others) out and about in the world, but Sephiroth is basically achieving Jenova's goals of killing the planet and loving off.

If Sephiroth's will was 100% gone there would be no thematic point to bringing him the materia - or Cloud would see frozen-Seph but everyone else would see frozen-Jenova.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do you think Sephiroth has to spend time micromanaging the black robes so they eat, sleep, poop, ect. and occasionally intervene if a monster is going to wipe out too many of them? There are only so many former SOLDIERs and citizens of Nibelheim afterall, and it’s a loooong journey, it wouldn’t be good if no one made it to the Northern crater.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
considering they're apparently able to walk across the sea floor unhindered i think they're more resilient than they look, as long as they're not being shot or mauled

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe they'll actually put the whole Jenova shapeshifting thing to use outside of Glenn. Have it pretend to be Aerith to gently caress with the party in the next one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jenova and Sephiroth are basically not meaningfully different anymore. Jenova is Sephiroth, Sephiroth is Jenova, they're all part of a Thing-y whole.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like they’re sorta expanding Seph’s motivations and the whole thing with “I’m simply acting for the sake of the planet, and it loves that I am creating a Lifestream/multiverse singularity” def feels way more a Seph with god complex who believes dominion of the planet is his birthright sort of deal than a Jenova ‘monster from the stars’ plan.

He seems more clearly the main guy here.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

it's very simple. Jenova is God, Sephiroth is Jesus, and the black whispers are the Holy Ghost

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Jenova and Sephiroth are basically not meaningfully different anymore. Jenova is Sephiroth, Sephiroth is Jenova, they're all part of a Thing-y whole.

Yeah, that's my impression. There is no distinction between Jenova and Sephiroth, they just merged.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it depends on how much of an ego/motivation you think jenova actually has. if she's just a philosophical zombie whose mimicry is all a front for her need to consume and reproduce, then it's a moot point how much of sephiroth is "the main guy" because he's the only intelligent one of the pair

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jenova certainly seems some level of intelligent, but I think it's very much like The Thing. It is smart enough to control, mimic, copy and manipulate, but the actual ideas and thoughts behind it are irrelevant because its end goal is to assimilate. Sephiroth being part-Jenova just meant he was more and more susceptible to that control until he went full "MOTHER! I WILL BE A GOOOOOD" and by that point he was just a part of Jenova. The exact context doesn't matter because at the end of the day (barring something changing), Sephiroth's end goal is to absorb the planet. Him claiming it is because it is his destiny as a god is genuinely irrelevant because it is still perfectly in line with Jenova's end goal of doing the same, and should they succeed what would move to another planet would be indistinguishable from Jenova to the next unlucky planet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Oxxidation posted:

it depends on how much of an ego/motivation you think jenova actually has. if she's just a philosophical zombie whose mimicry is all a front for her need to consume and reproduce, then it's a moot point how much of sephiroth is "the main guy" because he's the only intelligent one of the pair

My read in FF7Classic was always that whenever you seen Sephiroth pre-Northern Crater, It was Jenova as it slowly assembled itself and found its sense of agency. You run into Sephiroth on the boat? Fight Jenova. Confront Sephiroth in City of the Ancients? Fight Jenova. Confrontation with Sephiroth in the Northern Crater? You bet your rear end you're fighting Jenova. It could be that was just a convenient form for her to take because it was the thing in her purview she can wear as a puppet (seeing as how it largely didn't recognize Cloud / Tifa early on, it largely behaves rudamentary early on and gets more sophisticated as it coalesces). It could be that it was Sephiroth pulling the strings the whole time and there are pages and pages of arguments to be had either direction made by people far nerdier than me.

What I will say for Remake however, is that it's pretty clear *this* Sephiroth does have agency above and beyond Jenova, and that could potentially lead to some interesting places in the third game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I guess I’m thinking more are Sephiroth’s actions and goals all like a front for Jenova acting on its instincts or is it something more genuine and unique to Seph and I’m thinking the later is the case if only because I think it makes Sephiroth more of a counterpartto Aerith. Which I think is what the game is aiming at.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the idea with Sephiroth/Jenova is that Sephiroth has subsumed the Jenova entity/mind with his own. He made it belong to him rather than the other way around. So while we met the Jenovaclones, Sephiroth is the one in control of them.

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, is he? Or is that just an assumption because of planetary foreknowledge etc.?

One of the Sephiroth's in Remake drops a line that AC Sephiroth says in Lifestream Black, the lore goes loving deep in regards to "Obscure short stories you probably don't exist but are absolutely relevent."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Welp, alright then. Ain’t no getting off this train we’re on I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

My read in FF7Classic was always that whenever you seen Sephiroth pre-Northern Crater, It was Jenova as it slowly assembled itself and found its sense of agency. You run into Sephiroth on the boat? Fight Jenova. Confront Sephiroth in City of the Ancients? Fight Jenova. Confrontation with Sephiroth in the Northern Crater? You bet your rear end you're fighting Jenova. It could be that was just a convenient form for her to take because it was the thing in her purview she can wear as a puppet (seeing as how it largely didn't recognize Cloud / Tifa early on, it largely behaves rudamentary early on and gets more sophisticated as it coalesces). It could be that it was Sephiroth pulling the strings the whole time and there are pages and pages of arguments to be had either direction made by people far nerdier than me.

What I will say for Remake however, is that it's pretty clear *this* Sephiroth does have agency above and beyond Jenova, and that could potentially lead to some interesting places in the third game.

That's explicit. Every time Sephiroth shows up he's a Jenova thing which is why they show up like that. (This also means that, yeah, Jenova is technically the one that killed Aerith.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It'd be a funny bit in a crossover game for Sephiroth to insert himself and Mother into the mythology of whatever world he's currently on without skipping a beat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

It'd be a funny bit in a crossover game for Sephiroth to insert himself and Mother into the mythology of whatever world he's currently on without skipping a beat.

SEPHIROTH: Mother... Mother has granted me power. The power to become a god and end this world!
SEYMOUR: ... saayyyyyyyy, now that's an idea.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Delightfully devilish.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Seymour is a master imposter. According to one of the most reviled episodes of the show

chandler55
May 1, 2020
i dont think ive seen anyone love the ending. maybe like..but most dislike. tough, tough tough tough . they really blew it. but the rest of the game was solid

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I loved the ending

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I loved it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

chandler55 posted:

i dont think ive seen anyone love the ending. maybe like..but most dislike. tough, tough tough tough . they really blew it. but the rest of the game was solid

You can speak only for yourself. I have yet to see any universal dislike of the ending, only anticipation for what happens next part 3.
Are these 'most dislike' in the room with us?

My only criticism of the ending is the lack of this scene for the corresponding world/timeline

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was just assuming that was a troll post

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Really the problem I have with the ending is that I'm not really going to be able to form an opinion about whether or not it's good until Part 3 is out.

Generally I've liked a lot of the individual story beats in these games but they really really suffer from existing as portions of an entire story split into three games that need to function as stories on their own, but which between them are trying to Still Be Final Fantasy VII. The pacing is so weird. Sometimes it works, but often it doesn't.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't know how it's possible to gauge the "average" reaction to the game's story and ending. most of the opinions you see are probably just going to be the loudest ones, and youtube and twitch culture don't help with that problem

the important thing is just making up your own mind and enjoying it on your own terms

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am pretty down on the ending for a few reasons, but that’s for the spoiler thread. wow im loving blind

The ending is too haphazard for my tastes, and either too reliant on future payoff to work before part 3 releases, or too incoherent to really get across whatever metaphor it’s going for. It seems like one of those endings that needs to be justified in the next part, and that’s pretty fuckin’ balls.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 28, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chapter 14's one of the weakest chapters in the game but in an 100 hour rpg i'm not gonna knock it too much if it runs out of gas in like the last 2 hours.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no like 90~95% of the game is phenomenal and I don’t regret a single moment of it. Just come on man don’t end like that, stop trying to be clever.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I firmly love the ending with the assumption they are going to land the plane in part 3. They've given me enough that I don't need 1:1 recreations of stuff like Aeris's death. We live in a post OG world it just wouldn't have the same impact, now they're at least doing something to keep the blood flowing.

I didn't hear him fully explain it, but Max has a theory that the clear materia is going to be used by Cloud to become like Cloud Prime, filling it up with memories of other Clouds, and that is maybe the first theory or idea that I've heard that I would hate to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol that's a goofy as gently caress theory

My clear materia theory links up with my Zack theory: it's all about hope. We see Zack inspiring hope around him to the point that he even brings some life back to Aerith's garden. Meanwhile, we know you can pour a bunch of emotion and wishes into a clear materia to make it something really powerful (see: the Gi and the black materia). So I'm fully expecting to fill that clear materia with hope and for Zack to play a key role in that.