Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Would cleanup be an issue? If not, have you considered just lacing the whole garden with iron filings or similar swarf?

ALPHONSE: Wouldn't work in the long run. It'd rust quick after a few rains, aside from getting washed away.

ALPHONSE: An' I'm not coating my garden in iron filings every day... seems the sort a' thing that could poison the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Could Kiara raise a physical ghost unicorn and have it Bugs Bunny-style seduce the target unicorn? Then we get to skewering from up in the trees or something.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Could Kiara raise a physical ghost unicorn and have it Bugs Bunny-style seduce the target unicorn? Then we get to skewering from up in the trees or something.

...this requires us actually dropping back into narrative format.

JOSEI: Kiara, could you raise a physical ghost unicorn and have it like... Bugs Bunny-style seduce the target unicorn? Then we get to skewering it from up in the trees or something.

KIARA: W-what?

You make sure to keep any hint of levity off your face.

JOSEI: I'm being serious, here.

REBECCA: Josei I didn't sign up for this to see unicorn sex. If that happens I am so out it's not even funny.

JOSEI: Jesus Christ, guys, I said Bugs Bunny-style, not hardcore graphic horse sex.

RYDER: ...is this how all your conversations go, normally?

ALPHONSE: At least he's not talkin' about wanting to be a fish.

KIARA: Huh-

You turn red, and cough.

JOSEI: AHEM, THAT HAPPENED ONCE OKAY AND IT'S VERY MUCH NOT RELEVANT. ANYWAY MOVING ON.

JOSEI: So Kiara, yes or no? Can we lure it with a honeypot trap?

KIARA: Well, yes, I guess? I'd just need to find an area nearby where one died. I guess Ryder can help with that.

RYDER: At least I can help with finding fae portals, which is a start.

JOSEI: Excellent, so in that case, you'll be able to find us...

You put on your sunglasses.

JOSEI: ...a horny unicorn.

Rebecca steps on your foot very hard, but it's worth it.

> Is this our plan? Spike pit, bait, Josei/Ryder in a tree or on the roof, Rebecca with iron filings cannon, and unicorn seduction with a shade?

well that's one thing off my bucket list, writing the phrase 'unicorn seduction'

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Are we sure we have enough firepower to actually kill the unicorn? It's looking like just us with a spear, Ryder throwing a bear trap and a bunch of wooden spikes so far. We really should have went shopping with that 500k odd we got for the Rebecca bounty.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, something tells me a couple of claymores full of cold-forged nails would come in really handy about now. But you go to war with the arms you have...

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We could make lots of spears. Long ones. Twice as long as a man. Hang 'em from tree, drop on the beastie while it's distracted by ghost mare. Alphonse must have an axe.

Spears will drop like a very dangerous cage, Josie hucks the assegai a bunch, Kiara makes the ghost kick the poo poo out it, maybe Ryder drops down on it with the spears and slaps the bear trap on its backbone? If we can make iron filings for Becca's cannon we can probably just as easily pick up some nasty coud wrought iron spikes and nails from the blacksmith Alphonse mentioned.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

We could make lots of spears. Long ones. Twice as long as a man. Hang 'em from tree, drop on the beastie while it's distracted by ghost mare. Alphonse must have an axe.

ALPHONSE: I do have an axe, and would be glad to woodwork 'em into spears.

ALPHONSE: But keep in mind this is a fae beast, spears by themselves will have some trouble piercin' its' hide.

ALPHONSE: I'd still prefer a pit trap... at least it will have a fall AND sharpened poles to contend with.

REBECCA: Porque no los dos?

ALPHONSE: Eh?

REBECCA: Let's just do both. I can jury rig a system to drop spikes on it after it falls into the pit. Then bam, unicorn sandwich with two slices of spikes.

KIARA: That's... a little bloodthirsty?

Rebecca looks offended.

REBECCA: Excuse me? It's just physics, here. I'm not saying we pull all its' legs off or something.

quote:

Spears will drop like a very dangerous cage, Josie hucks the assegai a bunch, Kiara makes the ghost kick the poo poo out it, maybe Ryder drops down on it with the spears and slaps the bear trap on its backbone? If we can make iron filings for Becca's cannon we can probably just as easily pick up some nasty coud wrought iron spikes and nails from the blacksmith Alphonse mentioned.

REBECCA: Josei, please keep in mind I'm basically building a modified potato cannon, not a literal cannon.

REBECCA: If you want to load it up with, you know, real shrapnel that's gonna take time and money... and prototyping. And I doubt Alphonse's blacksmith friend just has a cannon ready.

ALPHONSE: He doesn't. Also he won't just have a stock a' cold iron spikes and nails lyin' around. We'd need to pay him to hammer 'em out. I'd estimate... 'bout 1000 quid for a handful of 'em, and it'd take a few days. Workin' cold iron's difficult.

KIARA: Quid?

RYDER: A thousand dollars, give or take. Remember, we're in Great Britain.

You really wish you had set up a bank account with Sokolov even if you didn't want his other help. You don't really have the cash on you. But then again... maybe you could just ask Kiara to spot you cash to pay the blacksmith to hammer out some cold iron bits and bobs?

> It looks like the plan is coming together. The only question is if we really do want to hire the blacksmith. Buying random crap at a hardware store is cheap, but a traditional blacksmith is specialty work. And specialty work carries a price tag. Also... how would we even use the stuff, if the potato cannon can't fire it?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Iron filing potato cannon should be enough to suppress any fae abilities for a while, should be enough.

Maybe in the future Josie can use his new terrorist credentials as part of a bounty or side job to clear his name by infiltrating a bomber cell and get explosives training along the way. Get Bomber Joe to set it up and if he doesn't gently caress it up we call off the ghost hounds. Use new explosives knowledge for future bounties, because subtlety is for cowards.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Iron filing potato cannon should be enough to suppress any fae abilities for a while, should be enough.

Maybe in the future Josie can use his new terrorist credentials as part of a bounty or side job to clear his name by infiltrating a bomber cell and get explosives training along the way. Get Bomber Joe to set it up and if he doesn't gently caress it up we call off the ghost hounds. Use new explosives knowledge for future bounties, because subtlety is for cowards.

Noted! Josei will bring this up after Bomber Joe has been sufficiently tormented.

This evening I'm going to move forward with the unicorn hit. If people have input or last minute questions, I'll answer them. But otherwise I'll move forward with what I have down so far. Please remind me if I missed something!

- Create a pitfall trap with wooden stakes
- Create a spike trap that we will drop on TOP of the pitfall trap
- Set up bait in the trap
- Have a sexy unicorn shade lure the unicorn into the trap (possibly in conjunction with the bait?)
- Drop trap on unicorn
- Rebecca shoots iron filings at unicorn using potato cannon, and also possibly fire her stasis gun
- Ryder throws the bear trap at the unicorn's head
- Josei uses his paralysis amulet and stabs the unicorn with a cold iron, enchanted iklwa/assegai
- Unicorn dies, hopefully
- Butcher unicorn, have team BBQ with GORELAX THE HUMAN

Somehow, we always end up with insane Rube Goldberg contraptions. This is starting to become Josei's modus operandi.

Side note, I've started a separate CYOA if anyone is interested.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 27, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Personally a black smith is wasted on making a plile iron nails. Let's just buy some iron scraps and see what we do from there.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

That's the thing about every plan falling to pieces when confronted with opposition. They expect everything to go fine, and it doesn't, sad times.

Team Josie plans to cover every possible avenue of success and addressing them like spaghetti thrown at the wall to see what sticks. If we don't know what we're doing, the enemy can't stop us!

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Personally a black smith is wasted on making a plile iron nails. Let's just buy some iron scraps and see what we do from there.

You decide to add getting some iron scraps to the list. Perhaps they could be used to help augment the iron filings? It's worth a shot, though Rebecca seems adamant that the potato cannon won't be able to fire them.

The next few nights are filled with a flurry of preparation. First of course is the purchasing of additional supplies from a hardware store in the nearest large town. Then you and Ryder help fell trees, while Alphonse sharpens them into stakes that will be used to line the pitfall trap, and even be used to drop a trap from above the pit to make sure the unicorn is immobilized. Rebecca works on fashioning a barrel into a makeshift air cannon, which she rigs up with some sights so that she can aim the cannon with great precision.

Kiara meanwhile goes adventuring into the forest to find a unicorn shade to raise. This takes a lot of searching on her part, with some help from Ryder. Eventually, with his unique fae skills, Kiara returns with a ghostly looking unicorn, while strumming her guitar, Mortis. You pause in your wood chopping and mop the sweat off your face.

KIARA - NECROMANCY ROLL: 8 +4 PERK BONUS (NECROMANCY) = 12 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

The undead unicorn is the right shape... but it looks like a living shadow has decided to kick a piņata in a stable and get covered in glitter while it was at it. The shade is mostly black, with an opalescent rainbow shimmer, and its eyes glow a bright white. It doesn't look anything like the regular unicorn... at all.

JOSEI: Uh... is there a reason that the unicorn shade is trying to be a disco ball

KIARA: Yeah, um... it's hard to get shades to be one to one at the best of times. But this is a Fae Dead Thing. So... yeah.

JOSEI: Somehow I don't think that the other unicorn is going to feel enamored by that thing.

Kiara blushes, looking slightly embarrassed at this.

KIARA: Sorry.

JOSEI: It's fine, we just gotta improvise. Unless... Alphonse!

You shout over at the hedge wizard, who is working out at a sawhorse near the cottage, fashioning the sharpened stakes into pointed poles that will be driven into the ground. He looks up, furrowing his brow as he stops what he's doing, and wipes his sweaty brow.

ALPHONSE: Whot is it?

JOSEI: Can you magic this undead unicorn to look less like like a photo negative that had sex with a rainbow?

Alphonse glances at the unicorn shade. He squints.

ALPHONSE: Don't do illusion magic, I'm afraid. Maybe y'can use it to scare the bastard into the pit?

You shrug a bit helplessly. That's going to be about the best you can hope for, you figure. You ask Kiara to practice and see if there's any way to get it more normal working, and she agrees to try practicing with the shade. It's an unfamiliar species, after all, so maybe she just needs some time.

After you and Ryder have felled enough trees, you both take a breather by sitting down near Alphonse's cottage. Goodboy comes over and sprawls himself over your lap, and you begin absentmindedly petting him as you survey the area that will be turned into a death trap for a unicorn.

Ryder folds his arms while leaning against the cottage.

RYDER: You know... that dog's fully trained, I heard.

RYDER: If it starts running, you should use him to help harry the unicorn into the pit.

JOSEI: We could do that?

Ryder shrugs his shoulders.

RYDER: Dogs are excellent at distracting and leading prey, if they're good at what they do. And you've got a smart dog, Josei.

He gives a whistle, and points down at the ground by the side. Goodboy immediately hops off your lap and goes over to where Ryder indicated. The dullahan then uses a series of hand signals to get Goodboy to go left, right, then straight forward, then sit down.

JOSEI: Oh. Wow.

RYDER: You should ask Sami for lessons on how to give him commands. He's better trained than you are.

He says this very seriously, and you almost get offended before the fae dullahan gives a hearty laugh at his own joke. You roll your eyes and lean back against the wall of the cottage while scratching Goodboy between the ears, but agree to ask Sami about learning Goodboy's commands.

As you finish your canteen of water, Rebecca comes jogging up carrying a large PVC pipe that's been crudely shaped into an air cannon. She sets it down, panting a bit and wiping her brow with the back of her hand.

REBECCA: Hey, guys! Check this out.

She gets on one knee, and you notice that the cannon has the small canister from a camp stove attached. She aims it away from the two of you, at a large tree.

REBECCA: I have it running off of butane, when you ignite it that creates the gas pressure to push stuff out of the barrel. It's not very efficient, but it doesn't have to be. I borrowed the igniter off of Josei's cigarette lighter - it's reusable, so no worries about that.

JOSEI: Wait, you did what-

Rebecca rolls right over you verbally, ignoring your interruption.

REBECCA: Using this, well, let me show you!

KIARA - TINKERING ROLL: 11 +4 PERK BONUS (TECHNOLOGY) = 15 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

She pulls a makeshift trigger, and the air cannon flings a cloud of iron filings at the tree. A spray of dust and splinters is blown off of it as the filings impact the bark. Rebecca carefully adjusts her aim a bit, and fires again.

REBECCA: Pretty cool, huh?

JOSEI: ...so if it runs off of propane-

REBECCA: Butane!

JOSEI: -right, Butane, whatever. Can't you just scale it up to do a bigger boom, and then we could fling like... nails and stuff?

Rebecca rolls her eyes.

REBECCA: I already told you if you want something able to throw shrapnel, I'd need more time and money. A bigger boom means a lower tolerance for errors in the design. So no, I can't.

You shrug a bit, and sigh.

Ryder, meanwhile, clears his throat and speaks up.

RYDER: Well, I think you did a fine job, Rebecca.

The young girl turns bright red at the praise from the handsome dullahan. You feel a bit bad... you didn't recognize her accomplishment at all.

REBECCA: Aww shucks! Thanks!

JOSEI: Um- right, yeah, uh, good work, Rebecca. Sorry if I seemed grumpy.

REBECCA: Nah it's fine, Josei! I get it. You're under a lot of stress. Um. I'm gonna go finish tinkering with this.

You wave as the inventor scurries off, and check the time.

JOSEI: Well, Ryder... it's hitting late enough. Let's check with Alphonse if now's a good time to dig the pit.

By the next morning, everything is finally in place. The pit has been dug, and is covered with a tarp along with additional dirt to cover it up, with the unicorn bait as the final cherry on top. You, Rebecca, and Ryder are in place on top of the cottage. Kiara is some distance away, and you can faintly hear her tuning up her guitar. Meanwhile, a nightmarish construction of sharpened stakes is hanging from a tall, gnarled tree in Alphonse's garden, held up by a complex pulley system. If the unicorn drops into the pit, Rebecca will activate a remote control to drop the stakes on top of it. Thus, it will be double skewered and hopefully immobilized. Goodboy, meanwhile, is hiding behind a large wooden cart of Alphonse's, waiting quietly for your command. Alphonse is tucked away in his cottage. He's sure he would be of no help in the coming fight.

KIARA - NECROMANCY ROLL: 11 +4 PERK BONUS (NECROMANCY) = 15 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

You hear Kiara play a slower paced, peaceful melody on her guitar. Soon enough, the shade unicorn comes trotting into the garden. To your immense gratification, it looks much more real now. She evidently put her practice to good use. It wanders around, acting surprisingly normally. Starting with demolishing another berry bush. Then you remember that Kiara always said it was easy to command animals if you just have them do what comes natural... and what comes natural is of course, ruining Alphonse's poor garden.

You all wait in silence, watching the horizon. Soon you see the distant white shape of the unicorn approach. It comes closer, until you can see its graceful head, with a long mane flowing in the gentle wind as its hooves daintily step forward. Your heartbeat picks up as it trots closer to the shade unicorn, head raising up alertly as its nostrils flare.

KIARA - NECROMANCY ROLL: 13 +4 PERK BONUS (NECROMANCY) = 17 VS DC 12. SUCCESS.

At Kiara's command, the shade unicorn coquettishly retreats behind the pit trap, swishing its tail playfully. The other unicorn approaches eagerly. The shade waits there, and gives a quiet whinny.

The live unicorn cautiously steps forward, and scents the lunar lilies coated with maple syrup and demerara sugar that you are using as bait. It snorts, and tentatively takes a step forward, before peering down at the top of the trap. The shade unicorn gives another whinny from behind the tarp, trying to lead it further out.

UNICORN - PERCEPTION ROLL: 1 = 1 VS DC 12. CRITICAL FAILURE.

The unicorn makes up its' mind, and merrily prances out into the middle of the tarp, already leaning down to take mouthful of the bait. The pit trap gives way under its' weight, and with a scream of fear and shock it tumbles down into the hole beneath it.

You keep your breathing steady as the unicorn's frantic sounds grow muffled is it gets entangled with the tarp.

JOSEI: NOW!

REBECCA - ATTACK ROLL: 17 = 12 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Rebecca leaps forward and aims down into the bit, pulling the trigger of the iron filings cannon. The spray of iron shavings hits the unicorn dead on, causing it to give another agonized scream of pain and confusion. You see it thrash around, trying to escape as Rebecca hurriedly activates the remote control. The second of spikes drop from the tree above, and smash into the unicorn.

UNICORN - FORTITUDE ROLL: 19 = 19 VS DC 18. SUCCESS!

While initially it gives another terrible scream, your heart rate quickens when it rears up and throws the contraption made of wood and metal aside as if it was nothing but a child's toy. You hear Ryder's intake of breath and Rebecca's horrified gasp from next to you. From its' movements, you can tell that the initial panic is shifting to pure fury.

Muttering a brief prayer, you slide off the roof and land next to the pit. You know you have only scarce seconds before the bastard leaps back out. You place a hand on the Amulet of Paralysis that you bought from Richter, and squeeze the large gem that hangs from the middle of it. It activates, and unfortunately, Rebecca is caught in the blast radius as well. Her scream cuts off in mid-yelp, and she falls stiffly onto the ground next to you, thankfully not landing into the pit itself. You glance at her worriedly before turning to the unicorn.

UNICORN - RESISTANCE ROLL: 19 = 19 +4 RACIAL BONUS (FAE) = 23 VS DC 18. SUCCESS!

It's staring right at you.

The Amulet didn't work.

JOSEI: poo poo.

RYDER - ATTACK ROLL: 15 = 12 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Almost on cue, Ryder gives the bear trap a casual, underhand toss. WIth surprising precision, it lands on the unicorn's head. With a horrified grimace, you hear the teeth snap shut on the unicorn's neck and face, cutting off its' angry scream in mid-motion.

You immediately spin your assegai into your hand, and leap over Rebecca's prone body as the unicorn thrashes wildly. You give one, mighty throw, and...

JOSEI - ATTACK ROLL: 10 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 11 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

You miss. You swear, and hold out your hand as the enchanted assegai sails back into your palm with a burst of summoned force. The unicorn struggles in the bear trap, trying to throw it off the beast's head. You try again as Ryder leaps down from the roof and dashes to you, his katana at the ready.

JOSEI - ATTACK ROLL: 13 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 14 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

This time, you hit. The assegai slams into the side of the unicorn, and the scream is unreal. The unicorn slumps to one side, half impaling itself on more of the wooden stakes.

It continues screaming. The sound is horrible. You stare down at the creature as it thrashes, slowly disemboweling itself.

RYDER: ...the hell are you doing, just standing there?!

JOSEI: I- oh, gently caress, what the gently caress did I just do?

The unicorn whinnies in pain, eyes rolling back in its' head as blood begins to coat the ground around it. Ryder mutters an oath as he begins to climb down into the pit. Rebecca runs up, and holds her hand over her mouth.

REBECCA: Oh my God, why-

JOSEI: Shut up, I don't know either!

Ryder unsheathes his katana, and approaches the dying unicorn slowly. It gives another piteous cry as he places the point of his blade against the animal's chest. He grits his teeth as he raises it up... and the dullahan drives the blade down and in a swift motion, crunches right through bone and flesh, and pierces the unicorn's heart. It gives a few final twitches and gurgles, and then lies still.

Rebecca closes her eyes and looks away, making dry heaving noises. You slowly look at Ryder in horror, still trying to process what you just witnessed.

RYDER: Would you rather let it die slowly?

Meanwhile, Alphonse cautiously steps out of his cottage at all the noise, and his eyes widen in shock as he sees the bloody scene before him.

ALPHONSE: ...

His face splits into a wide grin.

ALPHONSE: Y'FINALLY KILLED THE BASTARD! AH HA! I KNEW Y'COULD DO IT!

The hedge wizard starts dancing a merry jig, while Rebecca vomits on the ground next to the pit trap. You stare blankly at the carcass before you, not fully comprehending what exactly you accomplished.

...BOUNTY COMPLETE.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That's one unicorn down. We're almost ready for a barbecue!

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Yeah I'm guessing meat is offbREBECCA's menu for a while...

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

The preparations to leave Wales are quiet and contemplative, in comparison to the frenetic ones made to trap and kill the unicorn. Both Ryder and Alphonse work together to butcher the unicorn, in order to pay the bounty to Gorelax for unusual meat. You're glad they can take care of that... it's messy, and you simply can't stomach it. Ryder also cuts off the horn for his own use, as payment for his services.

You say your goodbyes to Alphonse, and the crusty hedge wizard says that if you ever need his help, he'll be there. You're thankful to have added to your list of potential allies. A part of you is surprised at how many contacts you've been making already, in your career in the Underworld.

ODIN: Contacts? More like comrades, lad. Nothing builds bonds better than a good hunt. Good job, though your poor spearmanship skills drat near killed ye.

ODIN: I've got something up my sleeves to help with that. Keep one eye open when you're sleeping, eh? But with that... I'll be speaking to you again when you go on your next hunt.

ODIN: Until then, you can rest easy in the tender hands of your Greek goddess.

ATHENA: Hmph.

As you walk away to the waiting car parked on the small village road leading back to civilization, Kiara clears her throat.

KIARA: So... um. How're you getting home? You're never getting through airport security, since it's international and all.

You pause mid-stride.

ATHENA: You know, I was wondering when you'd realize that.

> Too bad we can't do a REVERSE parachute jump back into the airplane...

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 28, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
(Insert crazy plan to get home with shenanigans and the usual Josei Joko luck that allows it to work here.)

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

(Insert crazy plan to get home with shenanigans and the usual Josei Joko luck that allows it to work here.)

Challenge accepted.

You stare at Kiara. She stares back at you. You clear your throat.

INSIGHT ROLL: 10 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 13 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

JOSEI: It's funny you ask. You see, I actually have a really clever plan that I came up with before we even got here.

JOSEI: I know that Sami was going to set up an appointment for me to meet with someone at the Infernal Bank of Hades to set up a bank account, and that they have extradimensional portals there.

JOSEI: Now that I'm best friends with Alphonse, I can use him as a reference to get access to the Council of Merlin to go to Hell, then use a portal to get back to the USA.

KIARA: That's... not how it works. You can't just WALK up to a wizard and just say you wanna talk to the head honcho and buy a ticket to use an interdimensional portal. There's a whole process, I think?

JOSEI: Well, yeah, which is why I'll also be disguising myself as an apprentice wizard. I already know someone who does costumes in the West End of London. I'll just visit them, grab my costume, and then head to the nearest uh, Council of Merlin... HQ place.

KIARA: Which is where, exactly.

You think fast.

JOSEI: Can't remember the name. It's this really, you know, fancy place... d'you know what I'm talking about? With all the archways and... flying buttresses.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 10 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 15 VS DC 14. SUCCESS!

Kiara scratches her head, thinking.

KIARA: ...you mean the Old London Archives? Um. Sure? I guess? Are you sure you're doing this?

You give her a broad, winning smile, like you know what the gently caress you're doing.

JOSEI: Of course! Don't worry about it. Enjoy your flight.

Kiara and company drop you off in the West End of London. You're in front of a costume shop that an old friend of yours owns.

You have no idea what the gently caress you're doing.

> Are we really, truly, going to do this completely crazy plan, hoping that our usual luck carries us through?

We can pivot to a different plan if we wish.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 28, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Onwards and upwards

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sure we are! He said, having no idea what a Council of Merlin costume looks like or how cross-dimensional portals work. Nothing to it!

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Outrail posted:

Onwards and upwards

McSpanky posted:

Sure we are! He said, having no idea what a Council of Merlin costume looks like or how cross-dimensional portals work. Nothing to it!

You decide to go ahead and attempt your crazy plan, and walk into the shop. This is obviously a good idea and you are a very smart person. Yes.

ATHENA: That's it. I'm calling up Aphrodite and asking her if she wants to start a betting pool for when you're going to get yourself killed.

A small bell rings as you open the door and enter the shop, closing the door behind you. In many ways, things have not changed. In addition to suits and dresses, the place has esoteric outfits fit for the theater, including period clothing, several cloaks and stoles and capes, hats of different styles and colors, and accessories such as masks and prop weaponry. There's a large mirror in front of one corner that must be used for customer fittings, and a smaller, hand-held mirror resting on an end table.

And sure enough, standing at the counter, is an old 'friend.' You slick your hair back one hand, and prepare to do some more fast talking.

> It's time for the GHOSTS OF THE PAST flaw to make itself felt again! We have someone from our old life who we used to be close to, but Things Went Wrong and we haven't spoken to them since. We owe them money, and never settled up the tab. Who is the owner of the costume shop?

Character Sheets & Inventory

I'll be taking suggestions, and will select from them to make a character. The rule is that they do need to be a (relatively) mundane person, Josei owes them money, and this will be a tense reunion.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Fernando, the extremely intense and intimidating 6'5" gorilla-armed pacifist and casual voodoo enthusiast. Can guilt trip even the most revered of babushkas into doing what he needs. Bankrolled a heist that didn't break even.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

His lines are a bit softer, his hair a bit longer, but you'd recognize Diederik Vossen anywhere. The man who taught you how to case a house while pulling a repairman con, break glass without making a sound and keep a sack full of silverware from clinking like jingle bells.

When your last job went south and you were being chased through the back alleys by the cops, you had to split to divide their attention. There was only one loot bag and you didn't have time to divide the spoils. You didn't have to fence the loot to fund leaving town without paying him his share first, either. But, you were young and afraid of being caught and besides, he'd been at this a lot longer than you, he must've had a nest egg put away, right?

As his eyes narrow, you wonder if he ever found out just how much those diamond necklaces went for.

E: if this is too wanky or whatever just ignore, it's late and I'm just screwing around

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 28, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Michelle Duvalier is old money. Came-over-with-Billy-The-Bastard old. Or at least, her family was. They've still got a fair amount of land out in the Cotswolds, not that Michelle is entirely welcome back there. She went a bit rogue whilst studying at University College in London, got in with the right kind of wrong crowd, and over the years found herself in a supporting role for many a dubious venture, both of an illicit nature and in helping to provide the costumes for many a West End stage show.

She's really not happy about that time we completely trashed some personally tailored exquisite suit in the course of getting away (nearly) unscathed from one of our escapades last time we were in Blighty. We owe her a not insubstantial sum, and she's going to twist the knife seven ways from Sunday if we dare darken her door, and her command of pithy sarcasm would put literal Greek goddesses to shame (admittedly our sample size there is low.)

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

I'm going to be busy traveling until this evening, FYI. There's a high chance there may be two owners of the costume shop. These suggestions are just too good.

McSpanky posted:

E: if this is too wanky or whatever just ignore, it's late and I'm just screwing around

You're fine. Also I misread this as "too wacky" and I just slowly turned and stared at Josei and, well, his everything. I didn't set out trying to create a literal adventure game protagonist, and yet here we are.

I'm just waiting for him to get a string of bad rolls because his luck has to run out EVENTUALLY.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Snoozing under the front desk, Swatch listened to Master cutting up furs to make different furs when the door jangled. That scent, the Bad Man! Back in London, when Swatch lived on the streets before Master took him in. After all these years, it's the bad man who accidentally stepped on his tail that one time!

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Working on the next update now. I've decided there will be two owners (two suggestions are getting folded together). Also a dog.

None of them will like Josei. And yet, he still walked in that door because he won't admit that he didn't have a plan. Jesus Christ, Josei. No wonder you made enemies of your friends in your past life.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Fernando, the extremely intense and intimidating 6'5" gorilla-armed pacifist and casual voodoo enthusiast. Can guilt trip even the most revered of babushkas into doing what he needs. Bankrolled a heist that didn't break even.

McSpanky posted:

His lines are a bit softer, his hair a bit longer, but you'd recognize Diederik Vossen anywhere. The man who taught you how to case a house while pulling a repairman con, break glass without making a sound and keep a sack full of silverware from clinking like jingle bells.

When your last job went south and you were being chased through the back alleys by the cops, you had to split to divide their attention. There was only one loot bag and you didn't have time to divide the spoils. You didn't have to fence the loot to fund leaving town without paying him his share first, either. But, you were young and afraid of being caught and besides, he'd been at this a lot longer than you, he must've had a nest egg put away, right?

As his eyes narrow, you wonder if he ever found out just how much those diamond necklaces went for.

AJ_Impy posted:

Michelle Duvalier is old money. Came-over-with-Billy-The-Bastard old. Or at least, her family was. They've still got a fair amount of land out in the Cotswolds, not that Michelle is entirely welcome back there. She went a bit rogue whilst studying at University College in London, got in with the right kind of wrong crowd, and over the years found herself in a supporting role for many a dubious venture, both of an illicit nature and in helping to provide the costumes for many a West End stage show.

She's really not happy about that time we completely trashed some personally tailored exquisite suit in the course of getting away (nearly) unscathed from one of our escapades last time we were in Blighty. We owe her a not insubstantial sum, and she's going to twist the knife seven ways from Sunday if we dare darken her door, and her command of pithy sarcasm would put literal Greek goddesses to shame (admittedly our sample size there is low.)

Outrail posted:

Snoozing under the front desk, Swatch listened to Master cutting up furs to make different furs when the door jangled. That scent, the Bad Man! Back in London, when Swatch lived on the streets before Master took him in. After all these years, it's the bad man who accidentally stepped on his tail that one time!

You'd recognize that hulking profile anywhere. While his hair has grown longer, and his muscles have softened a bit, Fernando has barely changed since you last saw him. At least you assume he's still going by Fernando... the Dutchman's tan skin causes many people to suspect he has some sort of Mediterranean heritage mixed in, making it easy for him to pass as a Spaniard. You know that he was born Diederik Vossen, though.

Sitting at his feet is Michelle's horrible dog, Swatch. The elderly pup raises its' head, and barks sharply at the sight of you. You wince. To put it nicely... you were kind of hoping it would have passed away with the passing of years.

FERNANDO: Hey hey hey! No need for that! It's just a customer-

Fernando pauses, making eye contact with you. You give the large man a disarming smile. Just your luck, of COURSE he'd still be working with Michelle. Her horrible scruffy dog stops barking, but now just growls softly instead as it keeps staring at you with beady little eyes.

FERNANDO: What're you doing here, Josei?

You continue smiling, though it's beginning to congeal into a tooth-gritted grimace.

JOSEI: Getting clothes to wear? Why else? Ahem. Is Michelle in?

FERNANDO: I suppose I could call her down. Though I'm noticing a distinct lack of a briefcase of money, or a sack filled with jewelry.

JOSEI: Er. I uh, can actually pay you guys back, with interest. Just... don't have it all on me right now.

Fernando's gaze turns into a flat stare.

FERNANDO: Alright, Josei. Sure.

He raises his voice.

FERNANDO: MICHELLE! THE LYING, THIEVING BASTARD'S BACK! ALSO HE'S BROKE AGAIN!

He says this while giving you a big grin. You roll your eyes and huff irritably. Michelle's dog continues growling at you like an ugly little demonic doll with a dog body. You contemplate kicking it, but something inside stops you. Maybe it's because of Goodboy's influence. Or maybe it's because you know Fernando could snap you in two.

You hear the clacking of high heels as a woman walks down the stairs from the second floor apartment. You straighten your posture a bit, trying to look more presentable, as Michelle Duvalier walks down the staircase. Her thick chestnut brown hair is currently pinned up in a bun, held there with a pair of antique silver hair sticks that look like small chopsticks that could stab your eyes out if she wanted to.

She's dressed in a well tailored charcoal grey business suit and green blouse, with a skirt that stops at her knees, and matching high heeled shoes. The moment she lays eyes on you, her jaw tightens and her expression hardens into a scowl. She walks up to the counter next to Fernando and puts her hands on her hips as she glares at you, tapping her foot.

You open your mouth-

She cuts you off.

MICHELLE: No. No bullshit excuses, no honeyed words.

MICHELLE: I've read the news. You've been a busy little bee, Josei. I heard about you bombing that office building across the pond.

JOSEI: I can-

MICHELLE: And now you're here. You would NEVER set foot in here unless you had literally no other choice. So that means you're desperate and you need something.

JOSEI: Just let me expl-

MICHELLE: No, we're not doing this again. I know people say "there's no honor among thieves," but you, Josei Joko, take the cake.

MICHELLE: Tell me whatever the gently caress it is that you want so I can refuse to help you, and then Fernando can throw you out of my store.

Underneath it all, Swatch keeps growling like a tiny lawnmower.

> Tough crowd. Now what?

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 29, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How much do we owe them?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
You're here so you can get dressed up like an apprentice wizard. The sorcererlier the better.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Outrail posted:

How much do we owe them?

Given Josei had stolen a sack filled with luxury jewelry... if split evenly, each of them deserved about $200,000 USD. So basically it was 600K split three ways.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

You're here so you can get dressed up like an apprentice wizard. The sorcererlier the better.

You decide you might as well just get to the point, weird as it is. Maybe the bizarre nature of your plan to infilitrate the Council of Merlin's local HQ will cause so much confusion that it will get past her pure disdain?

JOSEI: I'm here to dress up as an apprentice wizard. I need some robes and a staff or a cane or something.

For once, you're gratified by people staring at you for a reason OTHER than thinking you're an idiot.

They're staring at you like you're insane, but hey, it's a start.

MICHELLE: I... sorry?

JOSEI: Apprentice wizard. I need some robes and a staff or a cane or something.

FERNANDO: What does an apprentice wizard look like?

JOSEI: I don't know. Young Gandalf? Harry Potter?

Michelle holds up a hand.

MICHELLE: I'm sorry, where's the catch? Are you infiltrating an out of season costume ball?

JOSEI: No, I'm infiltrating a secret wizard base and need an outfit to do it successfully.

There's a very, very long silence. Fernando exchanges a subtle look with Michelle. You can tell where their thoughts are going. They are considering calling the local emergency services, because they think you're a dangerous lunatic.

You need to prove that the uncanny is real, somehow.

ATHENA: I'd recommend something that doesn't cause property damage.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I have a pressing need to make good on my past wrongs. I'm on my way to sort out my finances, you've seen what went down so know why that's taking some doing. I have enough to get you both your cut. To access it, I need a wizard costume. That's it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Scratch that.

Amulet of Paralysis.

I'm not kidding. This is a taste of what they can do. It'll wear off shortly. I genuinely do just need that costume, and I genuinely will repay the both of you once I've used it successfully.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Try the treasure map first, it's more subtle but you never know when the amulet will come in handy.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Try the treasure map first, it's more subtle but you never know when the amulet will come in handy.

AJ_Impy posted:

Scratch that.

Amulet of Paralysis.

I'm not kidding. This is a taste of what they can do. It'll wear off shortly. I genuinely do just need that costume, and I genuinely will repay the both of you once I've used it successfully.

You hold up a finger.

JOSEI: Here, let me show you something. Don't worry, I'm not pulling a gun on you.

You reach into your pocket, and decide to go for the magical treasure map first. If that doesn't work, you'll try the Amulet of Paralysis. You pull the map out and unfold it. Just like the last time you looked at it... the map shifts constantly as you turn it around and look at it. It reminds you almost like a minimap from a video game.

ATHENA: Not a bad idea. But don't let them look at it too closely.

JOSEI: See? This is a magical map I looted from a top secret facility.

You hold it out, and the pair of them peer at the parchment curiously. Fernando reaches out a hand, then pauses as he makes eye contact with you.

FERNANDO: Mind if I take a look? I'll admit, I'm suspecting this is e-ink or something.

ATHENA: ...as I said, do NOT let them look at it too closely.

INSIGHT ROLL: 1 +3 PERK BONUS (LUCK, ODIN) = 4 VS DC 12. CRITICAL FAILURE.

A part of you feels reluctant to let your old comrade take the map, like it's dangerous. But that's silly. It's just a map.

JOSEI: Go right ahead.

ATHENA: Wh- stop!

Fernando takes the map, holding it up to the light. He seems very focused on the map, turning it this way and that, and starts wandering around the room.

FERNANDO: That's... strange. It... it seems to be showing the shop?

There's an odd, intensely focused expression on his face. It bothers you for some reason. Michelle waves a hand, trying to get his attention.

MICHELLE: Fernando- I'd like to take a look. Fernando?

ATHENA: I don't know why I bother.

The Dutchman ignores her, and continues walking around the room at random. You're starting to get a bad feeling.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think the amulet just came in handy.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Darn, Fernando failed his roll too. Look around for something to nonlethally snap him out of it with.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Darn, Fernando failed his roll too. Look around for something to nonlethally snap him out of it with.

McSpanky posted:

I think the amulet just came in handy.

Using your quick thinking, you reach down and squeeze the gem set in your Amulet of Paralysis. There's a burst of energy, and suddenly, Michelle, Fernando, and even Swatch are all paralyzed. Fernando stares at the map with wide eyes, but otherwise stays motionless. Michelle's eyes dart around furiously as she realizes that she's frozen in place.

You slooooowly reach out, and pry the cursed map out of Fernando's grasp, folding it up and shoving it back in your pocket. Then you fold your arms and wait for the amulet's power to wear off. When they all realize they can move again, Fernando starts swearing loudly in Dutch while hyperventilating. Michelle whirls around and faces you furiously, eyes narrowing at you as her long hair is undone by her motion. Meanwhile, Swatch whines quietly, and piddles right on the floor.

MICHELLE: What the gently caress did you just do!?

> Well, they believe in magic, at least.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
You prevented Fernando from getting caught up in your accidental magical bullshit with more magical bullshit by carefully incapacitating them. Quietly hope your Diplomacy roll perseveres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Completely lie to them that you've never seen anyone affected by the map that badly before, Fernando must be particularly susceptible to magical influences! We totally didn't just expose them to a dangerously cursed object we didn't fully understand. So then, about that costume?