Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Papercut posted:

Embiid should not have won any year

Coming around to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lol at the ESPN homepage. gotta get those clicks somehow

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

IcePhoenix posted:

I know these have been posted individually but I wanted to post the clip that keeps them together because man what a backbreaking sequence for Phoenix

https://twitter.com/WolvesClips/status/1784807152479035455

I also love how when Ant waves everyone to the other side of the court you can hear someone from the Suns bench realize whats about to happen and start screaming for someone to double team him
Thank you for posting this, it's so much better as a sequence like that.

fart simpson posted:

paradol ex chris benoit dot txt
I didn't know who this was and I guess I'm glad I looked him up? because the wikipedia page confirmed something I've suspected for some time, that someone somewhere once intentionally hung themselves via lat pulldown machine

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

I don't know this hurts Durant's legacy. He's 35 and despite putting up good numbers he's not the same guy at all he was before his Achilles. I'm not sure 35 year olds are supposed to drag teams like this, Lebron aside. I mean, KD's legacy is going to be an odd one for sure but this seems more in line with a basketball player at this age. The team makeup is rough and he's going to do his job and not be able to shoulder a lot more than that.
Yeah I agree. Booker is so good at carrying the offense that i don't even know if moving bridges and a bunch of pieces for KD was smart, but KD is still elite even taking age out of the equation. But trading all their depth for Durant really had them covered in terms of iso offense so adding Beal on top of that was such a weird strategic move, like freaking TJ McConnell or something might have been just as helpful for that team.

Papercut posted:

KD was the best player on 2 championship teams
Curry was still more important to those teams, they won before Durant came and they won after Durant left. They also routinely struggled more with Curry out while not really missing a beat when Durant missed time.

That said I do remember watching those finals and Durant played better than Curry and it didn't seem like they would've won them without Durant.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 29, 2024

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Embiid can't rebound this series because by the 4th Quarter he's gassed and has no hops. He doesn't even try to get vertical to make them, just swats them out to other players. If that's a business decision or his hosed up Kawhi knees, you decide.

Also congrats to Anthony Edwards for making water cooler talk in the office today. Sixers sucking has people moving on to the other teams.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't really see the argument for Giannis over Jokic in 2021.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember a very silly discussion on here occurring because Durant mentioned growing up a Raps fan, and he has a chance to do something really funny here (he won't, Toronto is nowhere close to contending)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 29, 2024

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

IcePhoenix posted:

I know these have been posted individually but I wanted to post the clip that keeps them together because man what a backbreaking sequence for Phoenix

https://twitter.com/WolvesClips/status/1784807152479035455

I also love how when Ant waves everyone to the other side of the court you can hear someone from the Suns bench realize whats about to happen and start screaming for someone to double team him

KAT rightfully gets poo poo on a lot but he had overall a quietly amazing series. He had his torn meniscus injury on March 12th. He came back fast and is not 100 percent. He played competent to good defense and it was important. I realize Beal had a dud series but on that defensive sequence the fact that Kat is so tall and long really helps out. He had a strong first half that kept the Wolves close with some timely shots before the 2nd half ANT takeover. Happy for him and happy for the wolves!

Also the Embiid discussion if they lose this series is about to go into overdrive. He was the "funny" troll for years. But he's 30 now. He got his MVP. The Embiid slander machine is about to hit overdrive.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I agree. Booker is so good at carrying the offense that i don't even know if moving bridges and a bunch of pieces for KD was smart, but KD is still elite even taking age out of the equation. But trading all their depth for Durant really had them covered in terms of creation so adding Beal on top of that was such a weird strategic move, like freaking TJ McConnell or something might have been just as helpful for that team.

Flashback to when the Wolves traded D'lo for Conley and myself and other wolves fans all said that it made the team better because Conley fit their scheme way better

soggybagel posted:

Also the Embiid discussion if they lose this series is about to go into overdrive. He was the "funny" troll for years. But he's 30 now. He got his MVP. The Embiid slander machine is about to hit overdrive.

it's not slander if it's true

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I think KAT was about as much of a weird goof as it was possible to be in the last five minutes last night. He also was hitting every shot from everywhere, and Ant was incredible, so it was okay, but I think I will probably keep making fun of his decision making. I like that that team seems to recognize that KAT just gets confused sometimes and they've been managing to stay in a good mood about it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1784978727761269126

a Heat role player infused with new father energy? it's over for the Celtics. heat in 7

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The biggest thing for Kat is he needs structure and he's finally got teammates that can calm him down/know when to ignore him and let him stew but also build him up. The team is good and Finch is good.

The one thing I remind friends of mine who aren't Minnesota fans is how unstable Minnesota has been during Towns tenure.

He's drafted by the Wolves in 2015 and since then he/the org has had 4 head coaches, 3 GM's, one President of Operations death (Flip), one president of operations being fired Gersson Rosas, the Jimmy Butler "era", his mom dying of Covid, the whole ownership will they won't they with Taylor and A-rod/lorrie, and a couple disruptive injuries here during the past couple years. It's been a wild ride.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

soggybagel posted:

KAT rightfully gets poo poo on a lot but he had overall a quietly amazing series. He had his torn meniscus injury on March 12th. He came back fast and is not 100 percent. He played competent to good defense and it was important. I realize Beal had a dud series but on that defensive sequence the fact that Kat is so tall and long really helps out. He had a strong first half that kept the Wolves close with some timely shots before the 2nd half ANT takeover. Happy for him and happy for the wolves!

There is definitely criticism on Beal about fit and roster construction but the first 3 games Beal was averaging 18 ppg on 60% TS and 43% from 3. Take out his contract and every team in the league would like to have that out of their 3rd guy. Edit: even after last night those stats still hold, he just dipped down to 16.5ppg, which is still pretty solid. it just sucks because PHX is so short of people who can do something on offense.

I agree with everything you said here though, until last night KAT was doing a great job making KD settle for tough shots and carrying water on offense even if KAT's most outlier NBA skill is doofus fouls.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
No slight against KD but the suns should've never traded for him. It sounds crazy but they were the whole being greater than the sum of their parts.

It's interesting seeing teams fire coaches and doing worse. Bucks, Suns, Philly at least. Sure, plenty of coaches remain but it confirms my idea that coaches are not that impactful

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

looooool LETS GO
[Stephen A] "[Devin Booker] might deny it, I haven't spoken to him. I'm just telling you the scuttlebutt in the NBA circles is that brother wanna be in New York."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

bucks playoff wins under adrian griffin: 0
bucks playoff wins under doctor rivers: 1

need I say more?

WhyteRyce posted:

looooool LETS GO
[Stephen A] "[Devin Booker] might deny it, I haven't spoken to him. I'm just telling you the scuttlebutt in the NBA circles is that brother wanna be in New York."

poetic for him to be sent to the nets

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

mistermojo posted:

lol at the ESPN homepage. gotta get those clicks somehow

They’re taking the maximum trolling approach but they’re far from the only ones suggesting KD or Vogel will be out. Not sure either really makes sense, but I at least understand Vogel from the classic “can’t fire all the players so fire the coach” perspective. I’ve never liked that reasoning, but there’s precedent for it working in many sports.

Trading KD is resigning yourself to the rebuild shitheap - you might get real assets in return, but nothing that will allow you to materially improve right away. You would not get positive assets in return for Beal. You would for Booker, but how committed are you to blowing it up?

Even if you think there are fundamental issues with the team and the ceiling is winning a playoff series, your best bet might be to just run it back and just hope it goes better & you catch some luck and go on a run.

The only real alternative is accepting this all was a mistake, and trade Durant and booker and just accept that you will wander the basketball wastelands for a few years while you run out beal’s contract. I think that’s objectively the best course, but does a brand new owner (who directly helped create this mess) really have the stomach for that?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

temple posted:

It's interesting seeing teams fire coaches and doing worse. Bucks, Suns, Philly at least. Sure, plenty of coaches remain but it confirms my idea that coaches are not that impactful
Another interpretation supported by the available evidence is that all three new coaches are worse than their predecessors which, as somebody who doesn't really care but thinks its funny, I'm entirely ready to accept.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

soggybagel posted:

KAT rightfully gets poo poo on a lot but he had overall a quietly amazing series. …

Why does he get abuse again? Because Bill Simmons thinks he’s weird?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

de curry GOAT posted:

"soft"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

temple posted:

No slight against KD but the suns should've never traded for him. It sounds crazy but they were the whole being greater than the sum of their parts.

They were correct that CP3 was going to fall off a cliff.

de curry GOAT posted:

He's a big who probably can't anchor a defense, which is a problem. He makes boneheaded plays and fouls too much. All that said, he's an amazing offensive talent in any situation and when put in the right place he can be a positive defensive player too. People always have tough times with players who don't fit into an established box.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Lockback posted:

He's a big who probably can't anchor a defense, which is a problem. He makes boneheaded plays and fouls too much. All that said, he's an amazing offensive talent in any situation and when put in the right place he can be a positive defensive player too. People always have tough times with players who don't fit into an established box.

Can say this about Jokic

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

de curry GOAT posted:

Can say this about Jokic

You can but it would be dumb

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

de curry GOAT posted:

Can say this about Jokic

And a lot of people were dumb about Jokic for a long time too.

Jokic is better defensively (particularly the last couple years, before that it was more of a push) and on offense he's literally the most dynamic player on the floor. That will change people's minds. KATs not going to be that guy so people will be as dumb about him as they were about Jokic before the MVPs.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

KD and Booker seem to have really bonded during their time together, such that if they traded KD for anything other than an objective upgrade (good luck), and especially if they traded him for a garbage pile of assets to rebuild, I could easily see Book asking out as well.

So either they go from KD/Book/Beal to an immediate and total rebuild (plus Bradley Beal lol), or they fire Vogel, make some changes around the edges, and run it back. I don’t think there’s any middle ground.

Personally I’d like to see them try one more year to see if it works, but if it doesn’t work it’s going to be a miserable season and an even more miserable rebuild.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Porfiriato posted:

So either they go from KD/Book/Beal to an immediate and total rebuild (plus Bradley Beal lol), or they fire Vogel, make some changes around the edges, and run it back. I don’t think there’s any middle ground.

Personally I’d like to see them try one more year to see if it works, but if it doesn’t work it’s going to be a miserable season and an even more miserable rebuild.

I think this is right and while I don't think Vogel did a bad job exactly, it didn't work and he's an easy fall guy. If the locker room is lost then you're done. I'm not sure who steps in (Is that Mark Jackson's music??)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

de curry GOAT posted:

It's because he has the talent to be a franchise changer but he plays at the level of kevin love

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

I get that yelling at a bunch of millionaire athletes isn't going to get you very far, but talking to the press about how they roll their eyes and laugh at their coach after they played like poo poo makes the Suns look like a bunch of uncoachable babies.

You saw this happen with Urban Meyer taking over as Jaguars head coach for less then a season. He was relentlessly screaming and harassing the players, abusive to the extreme and was gone before the end of the season. He got away with it in college because he was running a top 5 program.

The myth of the screaming abuse, toughen them up mentality creating champions is just that, a myth. The times it produces 'winners' is like a tiny fraction of the overall times it gets used.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Metapod posted:

It's because he has the talent to be a franchise changer but he plays at the level of kevin love

aka soft

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If the bar is "make it out of the first round" trading KD for a pile of solid vets and building an actual functional team is maybe possible but that doesn't seem like it would make anyone happy

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

pentyne posted:

You saw this happen with Urban Meyer taking over as Jaguars head coach for less then a season. He was relentlessly screaming and harassing the players, abusive to the extreme and was gone before the end of the season. He got away with it in college because he was running a top 5 program.

The myth of the screaming abuse, toughen them up mentality creating champions is just that, a myth. The times it produces 'winners' is like a tiny fraction of the overall times it gets used.

This is how Larry Brown worked- he'd get one good year every stop and then after that people just tuned out his yelling at everyone.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I mean he was a first overall pick who is the third most important player on his team most of the time. I would argue he might have been the fourth most important in this last series. I have hated his game and on court personality since he came into the league and am extremely biased but I don’t think it’s hard to explain. He was pretty good in this series though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

If the bar is "make it out of the first round" trading KD for a pile of solid vets and building an actual functional team is maybe possible but that doesn't seem like it would make anyone happy

The west is brutal, I am not sure that does it anymore. The teams coming out of the first round either have a literal MVP finalist or a top-to-bottom complete team or both. Trading KD for a Bunch Of Stuff doesn't leave you with either.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I was listening to a pod on Lunch that posited Booker is too much of a sponge and is becoming more passive and less vocal because of KD. The conclusion was that they need weed to be outlawed in Arizona so both of them are forced to care more. I can’t argue against it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bismack Billabongo posted:

on court personality

this is the thing about him that frustrates me

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
SAS says Booker wants to go to the Knicks lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mcmagic posted:

SAS says Booker wants to go to the Knicks lol

The Mecca of Basketball!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The alternate universe New York Dynasty

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/MagicJohnson/status/1785016033998463463

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

pentyne posted:

quote:

In “organized team activities” (OTAs) that spring, Saban had the entire team line up for sprints. He blew his whistle, and everyone took off ... except for Keith Traylor, a nose tackle who weighed at least 350 pounds. According to some of his teammates, Traylor—then a 14-year NFL veteran and winner of three Super Bowls—had a clause in his contract that relieved him of conditioning duties. So, instead of sprinting with the rest of the team, Traylor set off on a leisurely jog. When he realized that Saban was eyeing him, Traylor began to taunt him, yelling, “Hey, Nick! Hey, Nick!” Traylor knew, as the rest of his teammates did, that Saban hated being called “Nick” by his players. He wanted them to address him as “Coach” or “Coach Saban,” just as his college players always had.

Traylor kept yelling, “Hey, Nick!” Finally, Saban snapped and told him to shut the hell up and run.

Traylor responded: “Who the gently caress do you think you’re talking to?” and ambled over to the sideline and stood and watched as his teammates ran their sprints.