Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Dr Michael Mosley suggests testing your balance on one leg as an indicator of general health.

Good results are said to be:

Under 40: 45 seconds with eyes open, 15 seconds with eyes closed.
Aged 40-49: 42 seconds open, 13 seconds closed.
Aged 50-59: 41 seconds open, 8 seconds closed.
Aged 60-69: 32 seconds open, 4 seconds closed.
Aged 70-79: 22 seconds open, 3 seconds closed.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/dr-michael-mosley-standing-on-one-leg

Test yourself by putting hands on hips and raising one foot, test with eyes open and then eyes closed.

I'm a 41yo male, fairly fit (I go to the gym 3 times a week)

Eyes open: 1 minute 52 seconds
Eyes closed: 9 seconds lol

How about you, fellow Goons?

(Also ignore the thread tag, posters of all genders are welcome to try this experiment!)

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The real question is how long can you sit on one leg?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I’m morbidly obese, I cant even stand up

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I did a minute each and got bored, it didn't seem to be getting any harder so I guess indefinitely. It is surprising how much harder it was for the first few seconds with my eyes closed, but I eventually adjusted.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.
6:10 with eyes open
3:23 with eyes closed

any other flamingomoders in chat tonight

e: 25 year old male

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I did a minute each and got bored, it didn't seem to be getting any harder so I guess indefinitely. It is surprising how much harder it was for the first few seconds with my eyes closed, but I eventually adjusted.

this. i called it at 3 mins eyes open, then approximated 2 mins eyes closed (timer said 1:55). i probably could have gone a lot longer

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pencilhands posted:

I’m morbidly obese, I cant even stand up

You can start working out by doing heel raises in your computer chair. Try some of the exercises in this video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THZKR_RJHHI

You got this PH!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
As long as I want, unless someone gets mad and knocks me over

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'll do it.

I'll knock Larry Cum Free over.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the trick is a low center of gravity op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

leg one: 5 on the floor
leg two: 5 in the air
leg three: 5 kg dangling

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i simlpy choose to stand on 2 legs

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Everyone bragging about being able to stand indefinitely have no idea this thread is a barely-concealed intelligence gathering operation for the clandestine GBS Breeding Program

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Everyone bragging about being able to stand indefinitely have no idea this thread is a barely-concealed intelligence gathering operation for the clandestine GBS Breeding Program

I would like to breed with the following GBS posters:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

following poster #1

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I will have to give it a try in a bit, probably not very long since I have no sense of balance thanks to my ears. I tend to fall over standing on 2 legs.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

I will have to give it a try in a bit, probably not very long since I have no sense of balance thanks to my ears. I tend to fall over standing on 2 legs.

Don't try it, at your age a hip fracture could be fatal

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i was fat (still am but not as much) so my legs are strong af and i can do it for ages

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think the point of the study is that an impaired nervous system is a symptom of a hosed up overall health and a diagnostic help, not that you can improve your overall health by training to stand on one leg. Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. Like, scurvy makes your teeth fall out and getting implants or stealing someone else's teeth and putting them in your mouth won't cure it

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

I think the point of the study is that an impaired nervous system is a symptom of a hosed up overall health and a diagnostic help, not that you can improve your overall health by training to stand on one leg. Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. Like, scurvy makes your teeth fall out and getting implants or stealing someone else's teeth and putting them in your mouth won't cure it

rethinking my anti-scurvy strategy now

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

GABA ghoul posted:

*citation needed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ive been standing on one leg since i read the op this morning

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

GABA ghoul posted:

Well drat, I probably shouldn't have spent thousands on invasive surgery to transform my legs into disgusting flesh-tripods to game the system (4 hours and counting)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I closed my eyes and did 3 seconds on both legs.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My Oma only had one leg because of the nazis.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My right ankle has always been really weak and prone to rolling for no reason at all and I read that standing in one leg and balancing is a good way to strengthen the muscle there so I just stand on it while I brush my teeth so 2 minutes at a time and since I started doing that I've not rolled my ankle at all idk if that is related but I'm calling it a W

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Saalkin posted:

My Oma only had one leg because of the nazis.

Lost it falling out of the guard tower :elon: :elon: :elon:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Land mine

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

No. 6 posted:

really epic dude :fuckoff:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Those results seem really weak. Like you should be able to easily quadruple these numbers if you have ever set foot on any kind of board sport.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
What about if you use a cane?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The closed-eye numbers seem good, I'm just skeptical of the open-eye ones.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

N. Senada posted:

What about if you use a cane?

you're on deaths door. treasure every day you wake up, the next fall will be fatal

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Well this is great news to read for once

Because I walk hills everyday for exercise and one of the things I do is stop and do leg lifts going sideways [15 of them each leg] and I do it while balancing on the other leg. I can usually do them all and I'm old so that's probably really good, cool:)

I'll do the eyes closed challenge when I can and edit in results

Spinz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 25, 2024

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Fuckin flamingo rear end thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Fuckin flamingo rear end thread

lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008