Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that was a decent album i liked "screenwriters blues" and "city of motors" quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

gesundheit

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I still havenít listened to their music. Every time I look at the CD, I feel a sense of vague unease.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

maybe itís from another universe like a mandela effect

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hormk
this seems like the thread to poll, who itt other than the op is completely devoid of any device that can read an optical disc

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I have had a 5-cd player and a cassette player sitting on the floor in the middle of my living room for over a year now, untouched. I'm supposed to sell them online but I can't be arsed because dealing with those people is tedious. Might just put em outside and see if they get taken or just smashed up.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

I have had a 5-cd player and a cassette player sitting on the floor in the middle of my living room for over a year now, untouched. I'm supposed to sell them online but I can't be arsed because dealing with those people is tedious. Might just put em outside and see if they get taken or just smashed up.

hi i need a cassette player. how much?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hormk
i have one of those victrola AIO wooden music boxes

it ain't great but it's a nice stopgap that can pretty much play anything

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Did you forget to send back your form to BMG saying that you didn't want the CD of the month? Well now you're going to get a bill for $24.95 and this will stay in your collection as a reminder to always send back the form even if you have to walk to 2 blocks to the store to buy a stamp.

That's how I ended up with Dr. Hooks' Greatest Hits.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

this seems like the thread to poll, who itt other than the op is completely devoid of any device that can read an optical disc

My car a 2015 has a cd player, that I've never used

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hormk

Saalkin posted:

My car a 2015 has a cd player, that I've never used

i put a new cd player in my car when i bought it but it was primarily because it has a sirius hookup, a mic and BT. I still listen to CDs in it sometimes tho.

i also have a dreamcast, psx, ps2, ps3, ps4, a dvd player on one of the tvs, and I put an optical drive in my computer when i built it because it seems kinda dumb not to afaic still

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Your husband loves Soul Coughing, itís his favorite band but heís embarrassed by liking a lovely band. You werenít supposed to see his drunken eBay purchase and now heís playing dumb that he has no idea where it came from.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Someone wanted to send some info to you from the past, for you to know now and figured a CD was the best way to do it.

They weren't sure people would still be inefficiently reading things so emails and the like are out, not to mention you'd probably ignore an email from aol or yahoo.

So it's probably a 10 minute long animated gif, with a separate wav soundtrack.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

What's CD?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

SIDS Vicious posted:

i would swallow my pride i would choke on the rind

would recommend the song "Open road song" as the 90's version of Golden's Earring radar love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjta4AKnHP0

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CDeez Nuts

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My older sister has a 2017 Mazda6 with a CD player in it, and sheís always asking me to make mix-CDs of songs sheís been looking for.

So Iím still burning a few CDs here and there in 2024.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What's a cd

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

flubber nuts posted:

hi i need a cassette player. how much?

No you dont

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Not much whatís a cd wit you

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Did you forget to send back your form to BMG saying that you didn't want the CD of the month? Well now you're going to get a bill for $24.95 and this will stay in your collection as a reminder to always send back the form even if you have to walk to 2 blocks to the store to buy a stamp.

That's how I ended up with Dr. Hooks' Greatest Hits.

That's how they get ya!

I remember being so tempted by the ads - wow! 12 cassette tapes for a dollar!*

Wait a second, what's the catch?

*24.95 per tape for the rest of your life

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I remember going to the swap meet with my sister and her buying like three albums on cassette for $5 at a time. They were obviously bootlegs with the shittiest slip covers and cassette printing imaginable, but the sound quality was almost the same as official releases because I think they used professional equipment to make multiple dubs.

Then the police started showing up and cracking down on cassette bootlegging and my sister was pissed.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

what.cd shut down years ago.

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
All I know is that Soul Coughing guy was on a BT song back in the trance days. I liked it.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

redshirt posted:

That's how they get ya!

I remember being so tempted by the ads - wow! 12 cassette tapes for a dollar!*

Wait a second, what's the catch?

*24.95 per tape for the rest of your life

Time-Life and BMG got a nice chunk of my pizza delivery money.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
The secret is to sign up for it over and over again, but when it comes time to pay the bill call them and tell them that you aren't 18 and aren't able to enter a legally binding contract.

This worked a few times for me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

nullandvoid posted:

The secret is to sign up for it over and over again, but when it comes time to pay the bill call them and tell them that you aren't 18 and aren't able to enter a legally binding contract.

Ha Ha! Hell yeah! I did that poo poo from 1998 to 2004.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

OP did you ever get a new dishwasher

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica
https://www.dazerbeamsandhusbandsboringlifeblog.com

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Did you check the envelope for drugs? I think CDs and DVDs are mostly used to ship drugs now.

Even if you don't see any visible drugs, they might be covered with trace amounts of dangerous fentanyl. The best way to test for this is to have a cop handle them, if he immediately faints and requires four months of paid leave to recover, it's a positive.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

nullandvoid posted:

Or you call as your "Dad" and have your little brother "crying" in the background.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, we've tried but his mother died last year so he acts out"

"AHHHHHHHWHHHHHHHAHAHHHAHAAaaaa"

"Ok, Sir I understand, we'll remove these charges this time"

Many times the cassette releases had different artwork or track order, usually done because the something with the record company and rights. The tapes themselves were lovely quality then what you'd find in a store.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 27, 2024

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i own that cd, itís good imo

i think itís with most of my other cds in box in a storage unit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol I still buy CDs

Not very many, mind you. But here and there.

reservoir hogs
Jan 24, 2024

egg
it's probably from one of those cd trading websites and someone just sent it to the wrong address but congrats on your new cd op

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's Chinese or Russian malware. They hope you put it into a company computer to check it out and then BAM! BABOOM! You have the virus!

reservoir hogs
Jan 24, 2024

egg
its just a virus that has a window that cant be closed that just says "hey idiot don't you know what mp3s are"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

purplestuffedworm posted:

Did you check the envelope for drugs? I think CDs and DVDs are mostly used to ship drugs now.

usually when drugs are shipped in a cd they are shipped in a hidden track. so you'll have to listen to the album all the way to the end and see if either the last track is extra long and has the drugs hidden at the end, or if your player starts skipping all the way up to track 69 which is where the drugs might be

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I was aware Soul Coughing existed in the 90s but i never listened to them because their name sounds like a euphemism for puking.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
More like Soul Sucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dazerbeams posted:

Iím too afraid to search online. Someone tell me if this band is any good.

I saw them live many years ago. That M Doughty dude was so acting painfully pretentious, thatís the best way I can put it, it was painful to watch. They arenít the worst band in the world but thereís something repellant about them.

They were opening for someone I really wanted to see or I would have run the hell out of there