Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My new band is Soul Coffin, black metal covers of Soul Coughing songs

E- no wait itís funeral doom

Snowy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if someone didnt say Soul Boofing yet im going to do it

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Soul Boofing

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Omg they read this thread and reformed

Someone must have some bills to pay

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Snowy posted:

I never really knew much about The Cult, but when I saw them open for Metallica in 89 I felt really bad for them. The lights were on and hardly anyone was in their seats, nobody paid any attention. If there werenít people playing onstage you would have thought it was the PA.

Maybe thatís normal at big concerts, I donít know, Iíve only been to a few

The And Justice For All tour, man that show was amazing.

I was jazzed to see The Cult as I was a fan and Fire Woman is an amazing song. They opened with Sun King I remember that. They got booed almost the entire time. Ian was telling the crowd to gently caress off. It wasn't that they were bad, it's just that people had not seen Metaliica since 86 and were pumped. I just don't think lots of Metallica fans were Cult fans. There was general admission so everyone was packed tight on the floor. The crowds were moving so that meant everyone else did. That's how tightly packed in everyone was. After Cult was done, I told my friends that we should probably seek seats because the floor was going to explode when Metallica takes stage and we may be trampled.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

The And Justice For All tour, man that show was amazing.

I was jazzed to see The Cult as I was a fan and Fire Woman is an amazing song. They opened with Sun King I remember that. They got booed almost the entire time. Ian was telling the crowd to gently caress off. It wasn't that they were bad, it's just that people had not seen Metaliica since 86 and were pumped. I just don't think lots of Metallica fans were Cult fans. There was general admission so everyone was packed tight on the floor. The crowds were moving so that meant everyone else did. That's how tightly packed in everyone was. After Cult was done, I told my friends that we should probably seek seats because the floor was going to explode when Metallica takes stage and we may be trampled.

God I hated that. Like you had to submit yourself to this torture to go see a band and who knew what mishap might befall you.

Like, a small one, I got small burns from other people's cigarette lighters, and not on purpose (that I know).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Yeah. Imagine 1000 people all doing the smooth criminal lean.

redshirt posted:

God I hated that. Like you had to submit yourself to this torture to go see a band and who knew what mishap might befall you.

Like, a small one, I got small burns from other people's cigarette lighters, and not on purpose (that I know).

I went to hair metal concerts all the time and at least one or two people would have part of their hair catch on fire.

A trend at the time was to take the disposable lighters and "overclock" them so they would shoot a 6 inch flame with small fireballs around it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Yeah. Imagine 1000 people all doing the smooth criminal lean.

I went to hair metal concerts all the time and at least one or two people would have part of their hair catch on fire.

A trend at the time was to take the disposable lighters and "overclock" them so they would shoot a 6 inch flame with small fireballs around it.

The Big Hair + Lighters + Live Music + Alcohol/cigarettes = 3000% increase in chances of getting burnt at a concert

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Snowy posted:

Omg they read this thread and reformed

Someone must have some bills to pay

I saw Soul Coughing open for They Might Be Giants in 1995. They were alright, but Doughty seemed pretty wasted for the performance -- he was slurring his vocals and speaking incoherently between songs.

My group was fortunate enough to be standing right at the stage, which was great when TMBG came out, but also resulted in Doughty flicking a lit cigarette at my friend and then whipping his sister in the eye with the microphone cable. The bassist and keyboard player were incredible though, and I ended up buying their album later on.

Years later I checked out Doughty's solo stuff. For all the poo poo he's talked about Soul Coughing over the years, his solo work is mind-numbingly boring in comparison. So if liking the Soul Coughing songs better is a "gently caress you", well... gently caress you, I guess.

Well that's my Soul Coughing story.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

OP you should watch out for short scientologists trying to break into your house to steal the NOC list

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
WALK AROUND IN CIRCLES
WALK AROUND IN CIRCLES

Post around in circles!
Post around in circles!

Dum-di-dum-di-dumm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shout out to Bull Moose Records and Newbury Comics