Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/solzhenidiot/status/1798540946319225321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Obviously a sign that Biden is weak at the border.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
SCoFL has decided that the governor can remove elected officials and appoint a replacement without judicial review so long as he plausibly allege any job deficiency.

e: In the present case, he indefinitely suspended a democratic party state attorney who was not slamming people for minor drug offenses.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 7, 2024

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Not to minimize this but that comes to 6 per 100,000 crossings for the US border and 150 per 100,000 for the Berlin Wall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

Obviously a sign that Biden is weak at the border.

This but unironically.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

SCoFL has decided that the governor can remove elected officials and appoint a replacement without judicial review so long as he plausibly allege any job deficiency.

e: In the present case, he indefinitely suspended a democratic party state attorney who was not slamming people for minor drug offenses.

no way this will end poorly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“The presidential electors are deficient in their jobs. All of them.”

Not that the Democrats can win a free and fair election in Florida anyway.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not to minimize this but that comes to 6 per 100,000 crossings for the US border and 150 per 100,000 for the Berlin Wall.

And a 100 mile vs 2000 mile border

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zamujasa posted:

no way this will end poorly.

It'll end the moment someone with a D next to their name is elected governor.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

:ohdear: I hope Mike Duncan is safe!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

joat mon posted:

And a 100 mile vs 2000 mile border

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah and we're not in a world-wide battle between superpowers against Mexico and with a massively authoritarian state controlling access on one side of the wall oh wait

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Makes you wonder if something mental happens to the guards when you're trying to keep people in vs. keep those people out

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Holy poo poo, I needed the laughter this caused me.

Florida electing a Democrat governor. Good one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh, so never

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s been 25 years, they’re about due

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glue is a feature, not a bug
Pillbug
https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/06/media/alex-jones-assets-sandy-hook/index.html

Looks like Sandy Hook parent's lawyers got what they wanted - Jones is likely to lose ownership of Infowars in liquidation. Infowars won't go away, but he won't directly own it anymore.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/06/media/alex-jones-assets-sandy-hook/index.html

Looks like Sandy Hook parent's lawyers got what they wanted - Jones is likely to lose ownership of Infowars in liquidation. Infowars won't go away, but he won't directly own it anymore.

:toot:

Hope this causes him some real misery somehow.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A while back, someone in Arlington was firing a flare gun from their house. When police came by to investigate, shots were fired from the inside and the house blew up. There were lots of videos from afar, but new today is the dashcam footage plus the reason: the dude lit two 5-gallon and a 25-gallon drum of gasoline on fire in the basement:

https://x.com/Fritschner/status/1799098704651284571?t=7lWWL5-bsy0kzl0WcNIGwQ&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Subjunctive posted:

it’s been 25 years, they’re about due

It's their turn.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

facialimpediment posted:

A while back, someone in Arlington was firing a flare gun from their house. When police came by to investigate, shots were fired from the inside and the house blew up. There were lots of videos from afar, but new today is the dashcam footage plus the reason: the dude lit two 5-gallon and a 25-gallon drum of gasoline on fire in the basement:

https://x.com/Fritschner/status/1799098704651284571?t=7lWWL5-bsy0kzl0WcNIGwQ&s=19

Extremely normal country, although the SFX are great

e: this is the same thread

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That pig in the second clip got his poo poo rocked.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I love the part that's like "all his neighbors say he was clearly mentally ill, anyways he bought $10k in guns and gun accessories"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Apt scene

https://youtu.be/4pg2Du-b758?si=nKelvi4HGAg9jur0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Soylent Pudding posted:

I love the part that's like "all his neighbors say he was clearly mentally ill, anyways he bought $10k in guns and gun accessories"

Many such cases

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
the big ol' $120K bribe didn't work

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1799151863494774855

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Was the Juror who reported the bribe attempt disqualified? Not sure if attempted bribery is enough to disqualify a seated juror

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nystral posted:

Was the Juror who reported the bribe attempt disqualified? Not sure if attempted bribery is enough to disqualify a seated juror

I thought it was less that they were disqualified and more allowed to nope out when their address was found despite their name not being given.

That Works posted:

Yeah and we're not in a world-wide battle between superpowers against Mexico and with a massively authoritarian state controlling access on one side of the wall oh wait

Man do I have some news for you about the INM...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nystral posted:

Yep, that juror was immediately DQed and an alternate came in. I believe the judge one-by-one, independently interviewed each juror to find out who heard about the attempted bribe and one more juror got kicked too.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Schadenfreude

https://x.com/CalltoActivism/status/1798555286502035550?t=7xSKh0Pvs1iSDv3JMh53Xw&s=19

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Why is she walking around barefoot out there?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One last comical hurrah from the trump trial:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1799174802147553402

https://twitter.com/JSweetLI/status/1799184582832755062

Basically just the judge making a good court record for the appeal, but still the internet leaking all over everything (and will be one hell of a Truth Social post in a few hours).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Yep, that juror was immediately DQed and an alternate came in. I believe the judge one-by-one, independently interviewed each juror to find out who heard about the attempted bribe and one more juror got kicked too.

IIRC the articles said they had 5 alternates which seemed like a lot but I guess they knew what they were doing.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Apollo 8 astronaut Bill Anders died in a plane crash in Washington state this afternoon. He’s the one who took the famous Earthrise photo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How many astronauts that have touched another world do we have left?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

A.o.D. posted:

How many astronauts that have touched another world do we have left?

Four. Buzz Aldrin, David Scott, Charlie Duke, and Harrison Schmitt. Schmitt being the youngest at 88.

:goonsay: Anders orbited the moon but never walked on it, so that number technically hasn't changed.

It is a statistical near-certainty that they're all going to punch their tickets in the next decade or so, but "plane crash" is a hell of a way to rewrite the script.

E: James Lovell and Fred Haise are the still-living "went to the moon but didn't land" club

E2: I guess that makes Lovell the last person living who has been to the moon twice, since John Young died in 2018

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 8, 2024

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Astronaut talk made me want to give a quick plug to The Space Above Us podcast. The host does an episode for every crewed American mission to space, and talks about the astronauts, what they did, and other interesting stories about NASA and human space flight. If you have any hint of interest in NASA, definitely check it out.

https://thespaceabove.us/

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a current sa event is chickam! hatching babies :unsmith:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zamujasa posted:

a current sa event is chickam! hatching babies :unsmith:

:f5:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

pkells posted:

Astronaut talk made me want to give a quick plug to The Space Above Us podcast. The host does an episode for every crewed American mission to space, and talks about the astronauts, what they did, and other interesting stories about NASA and human space flight. If you have any hint of interest in NASA, definitely check it out.

https://thespaceabove.us/

Def gonna check that out.

Two DVD series I can recommend:

When We Left Earth
IMAX Space Collection

Lots of cool original footage on both. The first is more recent and covers the full history of the space program (up to the 2000s) and the latter were produced during the 80s/90s and focus on the shuttle program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Worthleast posted:

Apollo 8 astronaut Bill Anders died in a plane crash in Washington state this afternoon. He’s the one who took the famous Earthrise photo.

Whoa! A buddy works on the islands in emergency services & had texted earlier they had a plane crash but he hadn’t known at the time it was an astronaut.