Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Discussion Quorum posted:

Def gonna check that out.

Two DVD series I can recommend:

When We Left Earth
IMAX Space Collection

Lots of cool original footage on both. The first is more recent and covers the full history of the space program (up to the 2000s) and the latter were produced during the 80s/90s and focus on the shuttle program.

From The Earth To The Moon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Perfect television.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I prefer the short film documentary, “A Trip to the Moon.” It’s OG, you might not have seen it. *peers down over his glasses and tips his fedora*

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa! A buddy works on the islands in emergency services & had texted earlier they had a plane crash but he hadn’t known at the time it was an astronaut.

it was a pretty gnarly crash. he did a dive when he wasnt high enough up. almost made it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Try to find it on DVD. The HD remaster is hot garbage.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ded posted:

it was a pretty gnarly crash. he did a dive when he wasnt high enough up. almost made it.

Doing aerobatics like that at 90 is incredibly on-brand for an Apollo astronaut.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I gotta imagine that after setting foot on another world, everything after that has to be something of a let down. At least he died doing what he loved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I gotta imagine that after setting foot on another world, everything after that has to be something of a let down. At least he died doing what he loved.

A much unkinder view is he was nothing more than yet another geriatric who shouldn't have been operating a vehicle and it was just good luck that he only killed himself rather than driving his Cadillac into a daycare.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Midjack posted:

A much unkinder view is he was nothing more than yet another geriatric who shouldn't have been operating a vehicle and it was just good luck that he only killed himself rather than driving his Cadillac into a daycare.

Yeah working big box retail shopping cart hauling duty an elderly man slowly was driving up onto our entrance way which required going over a curb. Yelled and tapped on his window & he reasonably (to him) explained he was picking up his wife, so initially tried to get him to back up then realized he didn’t know what was happening so got him to park and turn off the car & remove keys, until his frantic wife arrived from inside to take over. The whole “farmers market” stereotype clicked as if he’d hit gas would have plowed a lot of people into a concrete wall.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

You are right. That is a much unkinder view.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I kept seeing Trump referred to as the “presumptive nominee,” so just for information:

The Republican National Convention is scheduled for July 15-18 in Milwaukee.

The Democratic National Convention is August 19-22 in Chicago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lake of Methane posted:

The Democratic National Convention is August 19-22 in Chicago.

Yeah but they’re going to hold a smoke‐filled zoom meeting before then to officially nominate Biden so that he’s eligible* for inclusion on Ohio’s ballot.

*Under the prior deadline of August seventh, which has now been pushed back anyway.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Broke-dick "humanitarian aid" pier once again proves it- our only export is violence.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

pseudosavior posted:

Broke-dick "humanitarian aid" pier once again proves it- our only export is violence.

What does this mean?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lake of Methane posted:

What does this mean?

The thing the pier has been most effective at, other than generating bad press about army incompetence, has been providing cover for an IDF operation. It has not been particularly useful as an aid delivery platform.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A.o.D. posted:

The thing the pier has been most effective at, other than generating bad press about army incompetence, has been providing cover for an IDF operation. It has not been particularly useful as an aid delivery platform.

For extra information on the "cover" thing: the pier was in the background of the hostage rescue mission chopper landing, pretty close by. The government is saying that American intelligence was used for the rescue operation (which naturally killed lots of civilians, it's the IDF naturally), but CENTCOM is denying the "pier-as-cover" story:

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/1799578307001717226

That's fired up a lot of online sleuthing not buying the CENTCOM story (based on pictures/videos and such) and discarding the CENTCOM numbers they posted a few hours ago for total tons recently delivered. Anything deeper is probably for the Hamas/Israeli thread.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 9, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

CENTCOM Statement Regarding IDF Rescue Operations Today

The humanitarian pier facility, including its equipment, personnel, and assets were not used in the operation to rescue hostages today in Gaza. An area south of the facility was used by the Israelis to safely return the hostages to Israel. Any such claim to the contrary is false. The temporary pier on the coast of Gaza was put in place for one purpose only, to help move additional, urgently needed lifesaving assistance into Gaza.

full text for anyone not using the bad website

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Requesting the former allied forces to renew their bombing-campaign in Germany

That is all

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Perhaps we need to re-occupy Germany after we put trump and his ilk away for good.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Perhaps we need to re-occupy Germany after we put trump and his ilk away for good.

Unfortunately, it's spreading instead of weakening:

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1799882569775001744

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-european-election-results-2024-swings-right-france/

As lovely as Biden's polling has been, he's almost unique in that he / his coalition has a near-50% chance at reelection compared to European parties currently in power.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

facialimpediment posted:

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-european-election-results-2024-swings-right-france/

As lovely as Biden's polling has been, he's almost unique in that he / his coalition has a near-50% chance at reelection compared to European parties currently in power.

It's spreading west. We should remind the americans that Europe doesn't end at France and Germany and Amsterdam. Currently it seems the right is retreating in the north and the east. We'll have the full picture in a couple hours.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

They say the right rises in the east and sets in the west.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glue is a feature, not a bug
Pillbug
Well that loving blows.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the center would rather hand it all back to the right rather than risk inconveniencing capital in the slightest

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the center would rather hand it all back to the right rather than risk inconveniencing capital in the slightest

I dunno it seems like portions of the left aren't really all that reliable a voting block, if the picture here in the USA is anything to go by.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This man’s cabinet position will be epic af.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Isnt the AfD 3 small Nazis in a trenchcoat?

They've probably ditched the trenchcoat at this point though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

orange juche posted:

The trenchcoat is required by German law.

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

orange juche posted:

If they’re not outright Nazi’s I’d be shocked.

I mean Musk is elevating them.

On Twitter.

That alone makes them statistically likely to be Nazi’s or Nazi’s adjacent.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dunno it seems like portions of the left aren't really all that reliable a voting block, if the picture here in the USA is anything to go by.
Especially in France, where you've got like a dozen left-wing parties that are effectively just social clubs for all the impact they have. These, despite their unambiguously left-wing policy, have been utterly spurned by the voters dissatisfied with the center in favor of the far right, . Maybe they should try actually getting out and building a movement instead of kvetching in insular echo chambers?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
https://www.madinamerica.com/2024/06/988-records-shared/

Welp

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

facialimpediment posted:

Gotta love Democracy, the will of the people!

The problem is people are loving awful, and always have been.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Man, I knew that some of the people involved with it in Washington were snakes, but I thought that it was normal grifting, not advanced cybergrifting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mustang posted:

Gotta love Democracy, the will of the people!

The problem is people are loving awful, and always have been.

If only a strong leader would come along and set us all straight. That'll surely fix things.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

What the gently caress?

How is that legal?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't think there's any fixing it. poo poo is just hosed and will continue to get worse, and the rich will have their idyllic enclaves while the rest of the world burns.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The army really hosed your brain didn't it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

What the gently caress?

How is that legal?

They all claim that they aren't health care practitioners so you have no expectations of privacy or protections from health care regulations so they can go nuts with whatever you tell them. Same kind of poo poo you always get from government contractors when you let them run services.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

They all claim that they aren't health care practitioners so you have no expectations of privacy or protections from health care regulations so they can go nuts with whatever you tell them. Same kind of poo poo you always get from government contractors when you let them run services.

Betting it's also one of those deals where lawmakers weren't creative enough in their thinking to make evil poo poo like that explicitly legal. Bonus factor that with the Chevron defense about to die, that's going to knock out a lot of executive-enforced regulations interpreted from poorly-written laws. Extra bonus factor that modern Congress is getting even worse at writing laws.

Mustang posted:

I don't think there's any fixing it. poo poo is just hosed and will continue to get worse, and the rich will have their idyllic enclaves while the rest of the world burns.

If it helps any, rich fucks and pharmaceutical executives are still dying, so they haven't figured out how to out-spend death completely yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mustang posted:

Wouldn't it be alright to save as many Palestinian lives as possible by not electing the orange fuhrer?