Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arrath posted:

God drat that's a lot of rain
I remember a few years ago when Pensacola got 24" in 24 hours on just like a random Tuesday in April. Pretty much everywhere Gulf of Mexico adjacent is real wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Seattle has a reputation for being rainy, but the Gulf Coast is the real rainiest part of CONUS. It's just the fact that we get a lot of sunshine, too, that keeps us from having the reputation the PNW does

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

What the gently caress? Shouldn't there be a bunch of redundancies to route power from one generator to another or something like that for a long range bomber?

The redundancies are "having four engines per wing," and no, you can't Anakin your way out of losing all the ones on a side.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't know for certain how exactly it would work for a B-52, I'm taking what I know of from a C-130 pilot I talk to and ask random questions about these kinds of things and applying it so probably wrong on some details. When I asked what happens if one wing goes out they explained to me that there are ways to continue flight. The entire plane purposefully tips to one side and kind of sort of but-not-really-totally "balances" on the one wing still providing power. It's not a full 90 degree rotations with the powered wing pointing straight down, the pilot is balancing all the vectors so that the overall result is still going forward enough to keep controlled flight going. The unpowered wing doesn't provide forward thrust, but still provides upward thrust.

It's obviously an extremely lovely way to fly. Apparently it also shoots your control surfaces to poo poo on top of the wonky vector-balancing, but it's not impossible to fly with given you have enough altitude (read: time) to balance things out and get them under control since you're probably dropping like a graceful rock for a while during the process of sorting this poo poo out. Which sounds like one of the problems that came up here with them already descending. Being able to restore at least partial power gave them the opportunity to have a good landing in this case. Without that, if the plane is still under control but flying on one wing you basically radio ahead and let everyone know your landing is going to involve the wing hitting first and then everything probably going to poo poo since you can't level out for the final approach and speed control is not as easily managed as normal.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Paging Mr. Nice! and law-knowers... Seems like the other famous Georgia RICO trial completely blew up:

https://x.com/cathyrusson/status/1800225739478073808?t=99iUW8Op8UkT36bxWtW8Pw&s=19

Recap: it appears that the prosecution, the judge, and a potential witness (plus witness's stand-in counsel) met in the judge's chambers for two hours, without defense counsel present. On Friday, the witness pleaded the fifth and got arrested for it (guessing contempt?), then admitted to a murder in chambers. That led to today, where he agreed to testify.

Defense counsel found out - someone on court staff or the prosecution snitched (likely the witness's stand-in lawyer). Judge promptly demands to know who told the defense. Defense attorney doesn't say - gets jailed for contempt. While being hauled out, yells motions for mistrial. Next lawyer for another defendant comes out, moves for mistrial, denied, and yells for previously-jailed lawyer to be brought out to prevent a denial of counsel appeal.

Recap on the bad site and here: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/young-thug-trial-lil-woody-takes-stand-after-being-arrested

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 10, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah that's kindof a big deal. :lol: is all I really have to add.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah that's kindof a big deal. :lol: is all I really have to add.

So our justice system really is just Calvin Ball, eh?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Dude just fuckin sucks. Gritty needs to use his superhuman powers to give him a gym shorts wedgie.

Close! (He's fine - but the timestamps are excellent)

https://x.com/frankthorp/status/1800239051909234965?t=yzrAwrEY9_0zeluVtUs7Fw&s=19

https://x.com/GrittyNHL/status/1800255328162082888?t=U_cQqO9vnVhhC5f2uClNaQ&s=19

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

So our justice system really is just Calvin Ball, eh?

Well this is where the state got caught with its hand in the cookie jar and should be getting dealt with appropriately

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well this is where the state got caught with its hand in the cookie jar and should be getting dealt with appropriately

Wait, now I'm confused; I thought the defense got ripped to shreds by the judge for not divulging how they found out about a meeting between the prosecution and the judge

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What the gently caress? Shouldn't there be a bunch of redundancies to route power from one generator to another or something like that for a long range bomber?
I worked on the B-52s power system for 5 years, 5 years ago.
I don’t know about thrust, but for electrical power there is. I’d love the details, but I assume that whatever causes the engine outs caused a ground fault and tripped the whole normally paralleled system off, and then either the bus tie network isolated the fault and electrical power was restored or they isolated all the gens and just flew on the equipment powered by the RH gens, which is a planned contingency. If they restarted the engines they had some sort of electrical power.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

For a second I thought it was the Trump Georgia trial and was "wait a loving murder!?"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

silvergoose posted:

Wait, now I'm confused; I thought the defense got ripped to shreds by the judge for not divulging how they found out about a meeting between the prosecution and the judge

The judge is freaking out because he got caught doing something he shouldn't have been. There is a good chance there is going to be a mistrial

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the normal way to handle a witness pleading the fifth and then admitting to a murder?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Platystemon posted:

What’s the normal way to handle a witness pleading the fifth and then admitting to a murder?

Short answer: If witness pleads the 5th, give the witness immunity. Then the witness has no 5th and can be forced to testify.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

joat mon posted:

Short answer: If witness pleads the 5th, give the witness immunity. Then the witness has no 5th and can be forced to testify.

But given the witness was jailed for contempt, isn’t that what likely happened?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nystral posted:

Here's the problem: a fundamental design of the court system is that the judge never, ever talks to just one party. Defense wants a sidebar? Cool, bring the prosecution. Feds have a problem to be discussed without the jury? Cool, bring the defense with you. Need a weirdo motion filed? Great - did defense see it? Judge throws a hissy fit and clears the chambers? Both parties' lawyers stay around. Holy gently caress a juror just got a bribe on their doorstep? Ok counsels, let's discuss it together.

Here, the judge and prosecution got together for a two-hour chat without the defense. That's a monumental fuckup - remember Donnie yelling his bullshit about the prosecution and the judge being in cahoots? This is an actual, real example of that!

Nothing really wrong with a judge trying to find a resolution that gets a witness to testify. Huge problem when he does so behind closed doors with the prosecution, the witness, and the witness's lawyer. He forgot the lawyer for the defendants!

Edit: AAAAAAH

https://x.com/yashar/status/1800284745009656069?t=1Mc3jNgPWjHUYM4fWWm6Nw&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 10, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

He forgot the lawyer for the defendants!

He had a big bowl of chilli for lunch!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nystral posted:

Yes, if an immunized witness fails to testify, they can be jailed for contempt until they decide to testify (at least until the trial is over, don't think you can keep them jailed during any appeals)

The BIG loving problem here is that the judge and DA had a secret meeting with the witness and the witness's attorney after which the witness was again ready to testify.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

joat mon posted:

Yes, if an immunized witness fails to testify, they can be jailed for contempt until they decide to testify (at least until the trial is over, don't think you can keep them jailed during any appeals)

The BIG loving problem here is that the judge and DA had a secret meeting with the witness and the witness's attorney after which the witness was again ready to testify.

I don’t think this kind of gently caress up can be cured, so it’s a mistrial then? Can a GA appeals court step in and force the mistrial or do we all have to wait for the charade to conclude?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the problem: a fundamental design of the court system is that the judge never, ever talks to just one party. Defense wants a sidebar? Cool, bring the prosecution. Feds have a problem to be discussed without the jury? Cool, bring the defense with you. Need a weirdo motion filed? Great - did defense see it? Judge throws a hissy fit and clears the chambers? Both parties' lawyers stay around. Holy gently caress a juror just got a bribe on their doorstep? Ok counsels, let's discuss it together.

Here, the judge and prosecution got together for a two-hour chat without the defense. That's a monumental fuckup - remember Donnie yelling his bullshit about the prosecution and the judge being in cahoots? This is an actual, real example of that!

Nothing really wrong with a judge trying to find a resolution that gets a witness to testify. Huge problem when he does so behind closed doors with the prosecution, the witness, and the witness's lawyer. He forgot the lawyer for the defendants!

Edit: AAAAAAH

https://x.com/yashar/status/1800284745009656069?t=1Mc3jNgPWjHUYM4fWWm6Nw&s=19

Dude looks like he just picked up the chainsaw. Find some meat!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

What I’m confused about is the murder thing.

Are they saying that the prosecutor and judge had a secret meeting during which they covered up a murder. Isn’t that the one thing other than cash exchanging hands that judicial immunity doesn’t cover?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Pairs up

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

hobbesmaster posted:

Are they saying that the prosecutor and judge had a secret meeting during which they covered up a murder. Isn’t that the one thing other than cash exchanging hands that judicial immunity doesn’t cover?

My half remembered understanding. It's a murder trial against an Atlanta rapper that is using RICO to target anyone in the general area who's black and has heard a rap once. The entire thing is a shitshow and why the local attorneys I know who are familiar with Fani Willis expected her to arrogantly overreach and gently caress up the trump case.

In this case I think the problem is that the judge had a meeting with the prosecutor, the witness, and the witness attorney without the defense counsel being present, which is a huge no-no.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nystral posted:

I don’t think this kind of gently caress up can be cured, so it’s a mistrial then? Can a GA appeals court step in and force the mistrial or do we all have to wait for the charade to conclude?

I think it can be cured by giving the transcript of the ex parte hearing to the defense and giving the defense adequate time to prepare for additional cross examination based on information in the transcript.
An appeals court is not going to step in without somebody asking them to, and how to ask them in the middle of trial is a georgia law question. In my jurisdiction, if the judge releases the transcript, there's probably no way. If the judge doesn't release the transcript, still probably not, but with a better chance of maybe.

hobbesmaster posted:

No, there's no murder coverup.
The witness earlier refused to testify because he might incriminate himself in a murder. The DA gave the witness immunity for the murder that the witness may have committed and the judge approved the grant of immunity - so that the witness could not claim the 5th and could be required to testify. (Young Thug's involvement in the murder is alleged to be renting the car used in the murder as one of the 191 RICO actions he and his co-defendants did)
The witness then balked when it came time to testify, which prompted this secret hearing to force the witness to go ahead and testify.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That makes more sense.

Can I safely laugh at this now

https://x.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1800269830509166751?s=46

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

IANAL, but I think those are not good things for a judge to say.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The witness already had immunity and was held in contempt for pleading the fifth amendment to the question “how old are you?”

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

The witness already had immunity and was held in contempt for pleading the fifth amendment to the question “how old are you?”

And there is a well established process for dealing with that which does not involve excluding the defense counsel from his defendant's trial.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Brian Steel, the lawyer who was held in contempt, handled this extremely smartly. When the judge sentenced him to jail, his response was to ask to be placed with his client so that they might continue preparing for the trial.

Dude's legit, and just made a huge name for himself.

Couple of good threads on Bluesky:
Summary:
https://bsky.app/profile/kathryntewson.bsky.social/post/3kum6sbgccc2i

From the return from recess onwards:
https://bsky.app/profile/questauthority.bsky.social/post/3kumab67ppd2a

Oh and, apparently, this judge has pulled dumb poo poo in the past when he declared a mistrial so he wouldn't miss his vacation:
https://bsky.app/profile/bryanmgrantham.bsky.social/post/3kumdewdm5r23 (only visible if you're logged in)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wombot posted:

Brian Steel, the lawyer who was held in contempt, handled this extremely smartly. When the judge sentenced him to jail, his response was to ask to be placed with his client so that they might continue preparing for the trial.

Summary:

Oh and, apparently, this judge has pulled dumb poo poo in the past when he declared a mistrial so he wouldn't miss his vacation:
https://bsky.app/profile/bryanmgrantham.bsky.social/post/3kumdewdm5r23 (only visible if you're logged in)

jesus loving christ

no judge, you are in fact not god and i really hope whomever is above this dude smashes him into the next century

and i hope the defense attorney sues him for whatever he can come up with and get paid for wrongful imprisonment

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Legal systems are a scam, rock throwing is the non-chemical organic solution

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I went to a boat company in South Carolina. The boat I said, How is it? He said, it's a problem, sir, they want us to make all electric boats. These are boats that are from 16 to 35 or so feet, fishing boats, leisure boats. Beautiful company in South Carolina. Beautiful guy's been doing it for 50 years. He sells hundreds of boats every couple of months. I mean, really, fantastic guy. And they use the mercury engines and different engines in the back. No problem. They want to take that out. They want to make it all electric. He said, The problem is the boat is so heavy it can't float. I said, that sounds like a problem. He said, also it can't go fast because of the weight. And they want to now have a 50 mile or 70 mile radius. You have to go out 70 miles before you can really start the boat up and you can go out at two knots. That's essentially almost like two miles an hour. I say, How long does it take you to get out there? Many hours. And then you're allowed to go around for 10 minutes, but you have to come back because the batteries only last for a very short period. So I said, let me ask you a question. And he said, nobody ever asked this question, and it was because of MIT. My relationship to MIT, very smart. He goes, I say, what would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you're in the boat and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery's now underwater, and there's a shark that's approximately 10 yards over there, by the way a lot of shark attacks lately, did you notice that? I watched some guys justifying it today. Well, they weren't really that angry. They bit off the young lady's legs because of the fact that they were, they were not hungry, but they misunderstood what - who she was. These people are great. He said, There's no problem with sharks. They just didn't really understand. A young woman swimming now really got decimated, and other people too, a lot of shark attacks. So I said, so there's a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards. Or here. Do I get electrocuted? If the water goes over the battery the boat is sinking. Do I stay on top of the boat and get electrocuted, or do I jump over by the shark and not get electrocuted? Because I will tell you he didn't know the answer. He said, You know, nobody's ever asked me that question. I said, I think it's a good question. I think there's a lot of electric current coming through that water, but you know what I do, if there was a shark or you get electrocuted, I'll take electrocution every single time I'm not getting near the shark. So we're going to end that. We're going to end that for boats. We're going to end that for trucks.

e: It’s at around forty‐two minutes in PBS’ recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZddZeznA4E&t=2502s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 12, 2024

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Huh.

No wonder they had John Milius rewrite that.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Wombot posted:

Summary:

The legal system was a mistake, time to go back to chthonic furies hounding oathbreakers as Chronus intended.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The legal system was a mistake, time to go back to chthonic furies hounding oathbreakers as Chronus intended.

Yeah, but in that system regicide is the worst crime one can commit other than blasphemies against the gods. I don't think I can support going back to that. I don't want harpies eating my liver until the end of time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Baltimore's back fully open!

https://x.com/Jemsinger/status/1800509074070798672?t=dusrYHR2L0cm2gE-DosINw&s=19

quote:

In announcing the restoration of the channel on Monday, officials with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said a survey of the site confirmed that the channel was safe for transit at its original depth of 50 feet.
-----
The ship became stuck in the twisted crumple of the bridge, leaving about 50,000 tons of debris in the river to clean up before the channel could be reopened.

Like the ship, the cleanup operation was enormous, requiring pilots, sonar experts, dump-truck drivers, divers and engineers. It also included dozens of barges, tugboats, excavators, floating cranes and even small explosives.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can have it done fast, good, or cheap. Pick two.

We always find the money when major important things break and we want it done fast.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think thats generally due to the extremely high cost of not doing it quickly. Other funding needs will likely be harmed hy these decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://x.com/NorahODonnell/status/1800548250321314083?t=CVdTYoLM5VwGi5SikS584A&s=19

The Biden crime family is finally brought to justice