Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zamujasa posted:

walgreens has made plenty of idiotic money-losing decisions tho, like "what if we replaced glass fridge doors with giant tv screens", which went about as well as you'd expect

so, yeah, greed

quote:

The doors’ digital screens regularly froze or went dark, preventing customers from seeing what was available inside, and some even sparked and caught fire, according to the court documents.
lol

A.o.D. posted:

Are profit margins calculated before or after stock buybacks?

Wasn’t one of Boeing many problems that they did way too much buybacks instead of investing in R&D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Worthleast posted:

Apollo 8 astronaut Bill Anders died in a plane crash in Washington state this afternoon. He’s the one who took the famous Earthrise photo.

Whoa! A buddy works on the islands in emergency services & had texted earlier they had a plane crash but he hadn’t known at the time it was an astronaut.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Midjack posted:

A much unkinder view is he was nothing more than yet another geriatric who shouldn't have been operating a vehicle and it was just good luck that he only killed himself rather than driving his Cadillac into a daycare.

Yeah working big box retail shopping cart hauling duty an elderly man slowly was driving up onto our entrance way which required going over a curb. Yelled and tapped on his window & he reasonably (to him) explained he was picking up his wife, so initially tried to get him to back up then realized he didn’t know what was happening so got him to park and turn off the car & remove keys, until his frantic wife arrived from inside to take over. The whole “farmers market” stereotype clicked as if he’d hit gas would have plowed a lot of people into a concrete wall.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Interesting to look at UK politics from a distance, PM Sunak seems to be own goaling more than usual. He announced early elections while speaking at a podium outside during a rainstorm instead of going inside, & then left a D-Day memorial event early which uh British folk didn’t appreciate.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Has anything changed that would have made it more difficult for another Las Vegas massacre to happen? Guessing only that hotels with high rise windows overlooking events might hesitate to rent long term to high rollers with lots of crates for luggage, and might have reinforced some windows.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That Works posted:

I have a dummy fb profile. No likes no profile info no followed anything and i just use it to browse Fb marketplace. I get suggestions for Ben Shapiro and TPUSA and some Steven Crowder poo poo. Zero liberal or left recs its either random corpo adverts or right wing stuff.

Oh yeah they are ridiculous about that, people have tested brand new computers with zero cookies on YouTube watching the most benign cat videos possible & far right recommendations don’t take long.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

USPIS does Not gently caress around.

Guessing they’ve been swamped last few years as mail theft has gotten more brazen. A neighboring town had a carrier robbed a gunpoint for their mailbox keys, and a jerk who was stealing mail trucks got delivery totally stopped to a Seattle zip code for a week until they caught him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoa hadn’t heard of that one. I was thinking the Baltimore mayor who got a hospital system to buy a half million dollars worth of her children’s books. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Pugh

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

lightpole posted:

First thing I did when I bought my house was get 6 heritage apple trees, currants, gooseberries, and blueberries. Thinking about expanding the berries, I just wish I had room for more trees.

That sounds good & also identical to my Stardew Valley strategy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Arrath posted:

Should we bring back burnings at the stake for offenders like these? And the officials covering for them/enabling them?

Yes. They absolutely do not care & will not fix anything until massive fines start being handed down, then it’s time for strategic bankruptcies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Well it’s my understanding that after Biden made it clear he was running again as the incumbent, the A list Democrats with presidential ambitions stood aside & didn’t launch campaigns. I think the idea was they’d have little chance, would irritate party leadership & donors, and would hurt their chances in 2028.