Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Midjack posted:

Relax, the union will get him reinstated in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately the Union's hands are tied here. He'll never be a sheriff's deputy again. He'll have to take the unfortunate path of becoming an officer with state police, where he'll operate in the same area without even having to move, and little to no other consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

Reset the clock!

:america:

Why is the clock measured in days? Should we change it to hours or minutes? Just so we can actually see number go up?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

There's a mechanism by which sequestered jurors can get necessities and clothing. It's a solved problem. Source: I was a sequestered jurors once.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of case was it?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Gotta love the logic where you let the wanna be dictator openly encouraging the genocide win so you can show the other guy that actually wants to minimize the civilian loss of life that he isn't doing enough.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

psydude posted:

US healthcare really isn't that bad - it's actually quite good. The issue is that it's expensive for people who don't have good insurance. I don't think enough Americans realize and appreciate this subtle, but extremely important, distinction.

Source: I've lived in the UK (awful healthcare, but cheap), Germany (good and cheap), and the US (great but expensive)

"lovely healthcare" and "great healthcare that's largely inaccessible" are functionally the same thing.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

psydude posted:

Sure. And the reason why the distinction is important is because fixing the affordability and accessibility should be the aim. Something like regulating prices and introducing a real single payer system (not loving Medicare) similar to what Germany has would go a long way.

I don't disagree. I don't understand how so many people will bitch about their insurance not covering poo poo, but will defend to the death the idea that you should be stuck with a for-profit middle man that is chosen not by you, but your employer.

Additionally, a single payer/universal healthcare system would mean that vets don't have to rely on the VA to get poo poo taken care of.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

In honor of this thread's favorite argument topic (fast food):

I happened to be way out in the burbs over the weekend and found myself across the street from In-N-Out. I decided to try it and I do not get the hype.

Sure, it was pretty good and a few bucks cheaper than McD's, but it didn't rock my world or anything. I'd pick it over Whataburger if it was next door (although the lack of Coke Zero may render it DOA for my wife), but I wouldn't drive an extra 10 minutes to get to one either. At least Shake Shack has an interesting menu (and Coke Zero).

In summary, Shake Shack > In-N-Out.

When it comes to the regional chains that are better than McDonald's and Burger King, I'm pretty sure the best one is whatever you grew up with, as it likely shaped your perception of what that food is supposed to be like. I had the same reaction to In-N-Out, Five Guys, Whataburger, Chick-fil-A, etc. The hype really only comes from people who grew up on it.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I don't think that people who actively avoid learning about a subject get to bang any gavels about it.

Most people that want to nitpick the differences generally belong to one of those two groups. But regardless of which group one belongs to, in the end, they're still attracted to minors. And that's why most people that don't belong to either group don't think it's important to know the difference. Because it doesn't matter.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Cookout has a large selection but every one I ever went to had mediocre quality. And that's mediocre by fast food standards.

The only burger chain I was ever truly impressed with was Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Hawaii

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
One of the things I liked most about them was that the larger size burgers got wider, instead of requiring you to unhinge your jaw like most other restaurants will do.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Everyone knows the best tacos use whole leaf lettuce to keep the shell from getting soggy.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Elviscat posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendarichardson/2019/07/26/nearly-40-of-homes-in-the-us-are-free-and-clear-of-a-mortgage/

15.9% for millennials. I'd imagine a lot of those are people who inherited their houses, or otherwise had substantial help from their older family members.

Or millenials that happened to be right place and right time to get something cheap during the recession and then sell that to get what they really wanted 6 or 7 years ago. Not a lot of them, but definitely older millenials and I know a couple.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

I should've bought a house four or five years ago but the timing was never right and we didn't know where I'd end up for a job so we didn't know even where to buy. So now we're renting a good apartment at a decent price but we're completely stuck with no options for buying a house with prices out of control and interest rates at ridiculous levels so our mortgage would be $fuckinsane level. All that plus my wife and I make poo poo money for our area.

That's where I am. I was transient for so long that I never got a house because I knew I'd be leaving the areas within a year or two. Finally found a spot I want to settle, and instead I'm renting a house for about $1900 a month because buying the same house would have a mortgage payment of probably 3k+ per month. Not to mention all the other expenses associated with hone ownership.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Another reminder that the "culture war" is one-sided. Our side wants everyone to be included. Theirs wants specific groups excluded. Our side is fine with supporting 4H, FFA, veterans' groups, etc. Theirs wants only their group to have benefits.

And this is why they love Trump.

Also going to be hard to meet their land and water resource goals long term without any emissions goals short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Yep. Any company that is Too Big To Fail, is a national security risk, and should be split up or nationalized.