Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kith posted:

i tried to make the title as terrible as possible. i hope you appreciate it

that thread title is something awful alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Reset the clock!

:america:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

MonkeyFit posted:

Why is the clock measured in days? Should we change it to hours or minutes? Just so we can actually see number go up?

that's what the second version is for

:blastu: :murica:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pmchem posted:

walgreens and target are perhaps not the best examples. their margins the past two years are lower than they were pre-pandemic and walgreens is not making money as a business:
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/WBA/walgreens/profit-margins
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TGT/target/profit-margins
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/WBA/walgreens/operating-income

instead look at the companies who produce the products which are stocked inside TGT and WBA. such as proctor and gamble, which has underwent a seemingly permanent margin expansion post-pandemic:
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/PG/procter-gamble/profit-margins

walgreens has made plenty of idiotic money-losing decisions tho, like "what if we replaced glass fridge doors with giant tv screens", which went about as well as you'd expect

quote:

“Customer experience is a top priority for Walgreens, and we terminated our contract with Cooler Screens earlier this year due to their failure to meet contractual obligations,” Walgreens senior communications director Emily Hartwig-Mekstan said.

The companies had hoped that ads on the screens could help connect marketers with consumers and generate ad revenue for both companies.

so, yeah, greed

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

SCoFL has decided that the governor can remove elected officials and appoint a replacement without judicial review so long as he plausibly allege any job deficiency.

e: In the present case, he indefinitely suspended a democratic party state attorney who was not slamming people for minor drug offenses.

no way this will end poorly.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a current sa event is chickam! hatching babies :unsmith:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

CENTCOM Statement Regarding IDF Rescue Operations Today

The humanitarian pier facility, including its equipment, personnel, and assets were not used in the operation to rescue hostages today in Gaza. An area south of the facility was used by the Israelis to safely return the hostages to Israel. Any such claim to the contrary is false. The temporary pier on the coast of Gaza was put in place for one purpose only, to help move additional, urgently needed lifesaving assistance into Gaza.

full text for anyone not using the bad website

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

psydude posted:

US healthcare really isn't that bad - it's actually quite good. The issue is that it's expensive for people who don't have good insurance. I don't think enough Americans realize and appreciate this subtle, but extremely important, distinction.

Source: I've lived in the UK (awful healthcare, but cheap), Germany (good and cheap), and the US (great but expensive)

i don't think i could ever describe the us health care system as "great"; if you're rich and can afford it, sure (but that goes anywhere). if you're on normie poo poo? get hosed

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
mostly just my own and those around me, and my own experiences (on "decent" insurance) being endless delays, misdirection, and overall a health care system that could not be bothered to care about you in the least.

doctors offices where you would be scheduled for an appointment at 2 (only to get seen around 4:30, hope you didn't need that time), or being so over-filled that it was literally impossible to make an appointment (call every morning at 6 in case someone cancelled), or the ridiculous "group appointments" they tried to push due to overcrowding; everyone sits in a big circle while people are called back one by one for vitals checks, and the doctor goes person by person asking why they're there -- really cool hearing about other people's hosed up feet or literal psychotic episodes with zero privacy

my favorite is my mental health doctor whose last communication to me was "sorry our contract is over and we don't take your insurance, here's a $60 check for overpayment, good luck" on top of constantly spotty access to meds for years

or going to a hospital twice over two years, where the second time they started coming in to treat me for the completely wrong reason and i had to start getting on people's case until they actually loving listened and went "oh poo poo right this is from last year"

compared to stories of friends in the UK and Canada who have issues and get seen in reasonable timeframes without going home to endless bill collectors because even with "good" insurance your day trip to the hospital was still thousands of dollars

there is a joke on the vegas subreddit:

where's the best place to get health care in Nevada?

California.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

M_Gargantua posted:

The overlap of “chemistry PhD going full Breaking Bad but for terrorism” and “Things that make smart and well resourced people go insane” is small, but continues growing as we get further into late stage capitalism.

Meanwhile the overlap of “American with guns” and “things that make Americans go insane” is pretty obvious.

Americans! :dadjoke:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

No, the mayo is there to do that with a lipid layer. The only thing whole leaf lettuce does is allow the entire loving patty to shoot out the front when you try to take a bite.

i don't know what the gently caress you're doing but i can confidently say you're holding it wrong

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
growing up in the middle of the great recession did a number on "wanting to commit to huge things", same with cars.

it's hard to want to commit to anything that can destroy you when the only thing you've seen for your peers is constant job hopping, financial anxiety, layoffs.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I also am in the "thought I was being responsible given potential job instability/need for mobility but was actually just making it harder for myself" club. Graduating college directly into the Great Recession has left me very jumpy about massive financial commitments.

I am renting a house that would probably sell for $500K. My neighbor bought less than 10 years ago at half that and, I assume, is locked in at 2-3%.

Quoth DJ Khaled, congratulations, I played myself.

we went from renting an apartment at 1250/mo, to 2000/mo; moving up to the pnw and staying in someone's house for about that same price.

after we moved out, the owner did sell it, for over $500K.

sure helps when you get it from an inheritance.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It sounds like you both need some Pepto

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

"Our view is that the specifications in procedures for this type of work were not followed. All the nuts securing the tower to the base plate on three legs have been removed, which caused the tower to lift off the base plate and fall.

"It is unprecedented and inconceivable that so many nuts were removed at once."

you could even say it was a bit nutty :dadjoke:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

That Works posted:

Tractor Supply tweet

This poo poo fuckin sucks so much, man.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Another reminder that the "culture war" is one-sided. Our side wants everyone to be included. Theirs wants specific groups excluded. Our side is fine with supporting 4H, FFA, veterans' groups, etc. Theirs wants only their group to have benefits.

And this is why they love Trump.

FYGM, even from the people who don't got theirs, just to make sure nobody does.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that's a new one :stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

financial collapse? look forward, not back.
supreme court hosed? packing the courts isn't an option.

cool that one of our two parties are straight up murderous fascists and the other party are a bunch of do-nothing morons

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
classic case of IOKIYAR

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that but unironically :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010