Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/Y3maX7b.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kith posted:

i tried to make the title as terrible as possible. i hope you appreciate it

I reject the implication that Donald Trump is part of the LGBT+ community, even if, as I presume, there are dozens of works of art featuring him in steamy embrace with Michael Cohen and Rudy “America’s Mayor” Giuliani.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Verdicts in all federal trials must be unanimous.

Getting a hung jury is one thing, but flipping the whole dozen? lol good one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some light embezzlement may have been committed by the mercurial enigma Elon Reeve Musk.

Elon Musk ordered Nvidia to ship thousands of AI chips reserved for Tesla to X and xAI

quote:

On Tesla's first-quarter earnings call in April, Musk said the electric vehicle company will increase the number of active H100s — Nvidia's flagship artificial intelligence chip — from 35,000 to 85,000 by the end of this year. He also wrote in a post on X a few days later that Tesla would spend $10 billion this year "in combined training and inference AI."

But emails written by Nvidia senior staff and widely shared inside the company suggest that Musk presented an exaggerated picture of Tesla's procurement to shareholders. Correspondence from Nvidia staffers also indicates that Musk diverted a sizable shipment of AI processors that had been reserved for Tesla to his social media company X, formerly known as Twitter.

quote:

Musk hasn't been shy about intermingling corporate resources among his companies.

For example, following his buyout of Twitter, Musk enlisted dozens of Autopilot software engineers and other technical and administrative employees from Tesla to help him make sweeping changes at the company. Some employees even work for two Musk companies at once.

At xAI, Musk has also attracted employees away from Tesla, including machine-learning scientist Ethan Knight, and at least four other former Tesla employees who had been involved in Autopilot and big data projects there before joining the startup.

A former Tesla supply chain analyst, who asked not to be named in order to discuss sensitive matters, told CNBC that Musk has always considered his companies as an extension of his persona and believed he can do whatever he wants with them. That includes Tesla's 2016 acquisition of SolarCity, where he was chairman and a top shareholder.

However, the person said, redirecting a large shipment of chips from Tesla to X is extreme, given the scarcity of Nvidia's technology. The decision means the automaker willingly gave up precious time that could have been used to build out its supercomputer cluster in Texas or New York and advance the models behind its self-driving software and robotics.

In a post on X following publication of this story, Musk wrote, "Tesla had no place to send the Nvidia chips to turn them on, so they would have just sat in the warehouse." He said the "south extension" of the Texas Gigafactory will soon "house 50k H100s" for training of self-driving technology.

Musk later added that, of Tesla's $10 billion in "AI-related expenditures" this year, $3 billion to $4 billion will go to purchasing Nvidia hardware.

The really funny possibility here would be if Musk didn’t just give Tesla’s place in line to his private companies, but rather the original order through Tesla was a sham purchase and he always intended for those processing units to go to Twitter and xAI.

https://twitter.com/AnnMLipton/status/1798018777071984769

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 5, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: Ronald Wilson Reagan has been burning in Hell for twenty years today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

Obviously a sign that Biden is weak at the border.

This but unironically.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“The presidential electors are deficient in their jobs. All of them.”

Not that the Democrats can win a free and fair election in Florida anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lake of Methane posted:

The Democratic National Convention is August 19-22 in Chicago.

Yeah but they’re going to hold a smoke‐filled zoom meeting before then to officially nominate Biden so that he’s eligible* for inclusion on Ohio’s ballot.

*Under the prior deadline of August seventh, which has now been pushed back anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This man’s cabinet position will be epic af.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Man, I knew that some of the people involved with it in Washington were snakes, but I thought that it was normal grifting, not advanced cybergrifting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the normal way to handle a witness pleading the fifth and then admitting to a murder?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

He forgot the lawyer for the defendants!

He had a big bowl of chilli for lunch!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I went to a boat company in South Carolina. The boat I said, How is it? He said, it's a problem, sir, they want us to make all electric boats. These are boats that are from 16 to 35 or so feet, fishing boats, leisure boats. Beautiful company in South Carolina. Beautiful guy's been doing it for 50 years. He sells hundreds of boats every couple of months. I mean, really, fantastic guy. And they use the mercury engines and different engines in the back. No problem. They want to take that out. They want to make it all electric. He said, The problem is the boat is so heavy it can't float. I said, that sounds like a problem. He said, also it can't go fast because of the weight. And they want to now have a 50 mile or 70 mile radius. You have to go out 70 miles before you can really start the boat up and you can go out at two knots. That's essentially almost like two miles an hour. I say, How long does it take you to get out there? Many hours. And then you're allowed to go around for 10 minutes, but you have to come back because the batteries only last for a very short period. So I said, let me ask you a question. And he said, nobody ever asked this question, and it was because of MIT. My relationship to MIT, very smart. He goes, I say, what would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you're in the boat and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery's now underwater, and there's a shark that's approximately 10 yards over there, by the way a lot of shark attacks lately, did you notice that? I watched some guys justifying it today. Well, they weren't really that angry. They bit off the young lady's legs because of the fact that they were, they were not hungry, but they misunderstood what - who she was. These people are great. He said, There's no problem with sharks. They just didn't really understand. A young woman swimming now really got decimated, and other people too, a lot of shark attacks. So I said, so there's a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards. Or here. Do I get electrocuted? If the water goes over the battery the boat is sinking. Do I stay on top of the boat and get electrocuted, or do I jump over by the shark and not get electrocuted? Because I will tell you he didn't know the answer. He said, You know, nobody's ever asked me that question. I said, I think it's a good question. I think there's a lot of electric current coming through that water, but you know what I do, if there was a shark or you get electrocuted, I'll take electrocution every single time I'm not getting near the shark. So we're going to end that. We're going to end that for boats. We're going to end that for trucks.

e: It’s at around forty‐two minutes in PBS’ recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZddZeznA4E&t=2502s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 12, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve looked at the proposal, and it’s not bad, but I also fear that there’s a bit of this going on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He doesn’t care.

He’s going to retire to California.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Mouse that Did Not Roar: “Disney opens up wallet again, including to GOP who backed ‘don’t say gay’ law”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are the odds that a lack of maintenance effects a rapid unplanned artificial reef?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who is excited for a new Surgeon General’s Warning?

NYT posted:

It doesn’t have to be this way. Faced with high levels of car-accident-related deaths in the mid- to late 20th century, lawmakers successfully demanded seatbelts, airbags, crash testing and a host of other measures that ultimately made cars safer. This January the F.A.A. grounded about 170 planes when a door plug came off one Boeing 737 Max 9 while the plane was in the air. And the following month, a massive recall of dairy products was conducted because of a listeria contamination that claimed two lives.

Why is it that we have failed to respond to the harms of social media when they are no less urgent or widespread than those posed by unsafe cars, planes or food? These harms are not a failure of willpower and parenting; they are the consequence of unleashing powerful technology without adequate safety measures, transparency or accountability.

The moral test of any society is how well it protects its children. Students like Tina and mothers like Lori do not want to be told that change takes time, that the issue is too complicated or that the status quo is too hard to alter. We have the expertise, resources and tools to make social media safe for our kids. Now is the time to summon the will to act. Our children’s well-being is at stake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

e: It’s at around forty‐two minutes in PBS’ recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZddZeznA4E&t=2502s

Update:

Shame that the image generator that they used for the backround gave the shark extra fingers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

orange juche posted:

Also, donald the one-armed cyclops lookin mf on the side

That part is true to life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crab Dad posted:

“How do we know you didn’t insure a brick?”

You accepted my $50 for the $1k insurance and didn’t ask for any proof at the time so I don’t see how that was even relevant since I didn’t even have a loving brick at the end of the day.

Yeah, they may pretend otherwise, but it’s no skin off their neck if people insure bricks. As long as they are losing or destroying fewer than one in twenty packages, they’re making money on insurance. Unless you have a conspiracy to burgle the Post Office and collect the insurance, the house always wins.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Plant a chemimoya tree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Half is not most...

Point of order: what?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does 100% minus 49.999… repeating percent comprise a majority?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Before democracy, we had feudal lords, kings and tribes, and the notion of "most" referred to who had the lion's share of a given resource -- 40%, 30% or even 20%," she explains.

We’re going to need recursive papers here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Finally, a SCOTUS decision I can agree with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol remember when congresspersons profited massively by trading on inside knowledge of the “Wuhan coronavirus” as it was then known?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

March 2020 was insane but it might actually have been late Feb. I do know the fed dumped 1.5 trillion into the markets to stabilize them for 15 minutes

They sold stock in January.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488593-four-senators-sold-stocks-before-coronavirus-threat-crashed-market/

I actually believe these last lines though.

quote:

Feinstein, one the longest-tenured Senate Democrats, sold at least $500,000 in shares of Allogene Therapeutics, a California biotechnology company, on Jan. 31 and at least $1 million in Allogene stock on Feb. 18, according to Senate records.

A spokesman for Feinstein told The New York Times that she had nothing to do with the decisions to sell her stocks.

“All of Senator Feinstein’s assets are in a blind trust,” Tom Mentzer said in a statement. “She has no involvement in her husband’s financial decisions.”