Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

A.o.D. posted:

Are profit margins calculated before or after stock buybacks?

Neither. Stock buybacks appear on a different financial statement altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I also wasn't aware that the Shen Yun dance troupe were Falun Gong, their billboards saying CHINA BEFORE COMMUNISM make a bit more sense now.

It goes way deeper than that. poo poo's wild.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/stepping-into-the-uncanny-unsettling-world-of-shen-yun

quote:

The dances continued, sleeves swirling, skirts rippling. A man came onstage to sing a song in Chinese, which was translated on the screen behind him. “We follow Dafa, the Great Way,” he began, singing about a Creator who saved mankind and made the world anew. “Atheism and evolution are deadly ideas. Modern trends destroy what makes us human,” he sang. At the end of the song, the row of older white people sitting behind me clapped fervently. In the final dance number, a group of Falun Dafa followers, who wore blue and yellow and clutched books of religious teachings, battled for space in a public square with corrupt youth. (Their corruption was evident because they were wearing black, looking at their cell phones, and, in the case of two men, holding hands.)

Then think of all the know-nothings who wander out of these shows and provide the advertising sound bites about how much they "learned" about "Chinese history" from the show.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

A.o.D. posted:

How many astronauts that have touched another world do we have left?

Four. Buzz Aldrin, David Scott, Charlie Duke, and Harrison Schmitt. Schmitt being the youngest at 88.

:goonsay: Anders orbited the moon but never walked on it, so that number technically hasn't changed.

It is a statistical near-certainty that they're all going to punch their tickets in the next decade or so, but "plane crash" is a hell of a way to rewrite the script.

E: James Lovell and Fred Haise are the still-living "went to the moon but didn't land" club

E2: I guess that makes Lovell the last person living who has been to the moon twice, since John Young died in 2018

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 8, 2024

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

pkells posted:

Astronaut talk made me want to give a quick plug to The Space Above Us podcast. The host does an episode for every crewed American mission to space, and talks about the astronauts, what they did, and other interesting stories about NASA and human space flight. If you have any hint of interest in NASA, definitely check it out.

https://thespaceabove.us/

Def gonna check that out.

Two DVD series I can recommend:

When We Left Earth
IMAX Space Collection

Lots of cool original footage on both. The first is more recent and covers the full history of the space program (up to the 2000s) and the latter were produced during the 80s/90s and focus on the shuttle program.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Stultus Maximus posted:

This past April was only slightly cooler than June was in the 1940s.

I garden and this poo poo is tangible where I live. In fact, I just got bumped from USDA Zone 9a to 9b with last year's update.

Looking up when to start seeds, or how many chill hours your area gets (important for most fruit trees as well as some seeds)? Better make sure your source is from the last 20 years. Preferably 5-10.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ded posted:

Hello yes, we are in fact tracking everything your navy does. Here is what we are using to do it.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-submarine-pulls-guantanamo-bay-day-after-russian-111097523

By the time I was as old as that sub, I had long since stopped getting carded at the liquor store. Kind of a subtle gently caress you - yeah we're watching you and you didn't even merit a Block I Virginia

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elviscat posted:

That panel looks like it's deliberately removed as part of a rig for surface, if you look at the camera guy, there's some sort of trunk there, probably in a free-flood zone. [snip]

E: you can see the panel's popped out and folded down, with two tabs to secure it at the top, with internal-facing fasteners, I bet it's an air-intake for use on the surface.

I thought they were referring to the big white gouge to the right of that opening.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm glad Moore is doing this and it's a solid move but the cynical part of me sees this as "MD senate is in play, need those votes to widen the gap!"

If "doing good things and helping people so people vote for us" is cynical then I would like the Dems to become a lot more cynical, immediately.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

War Boi posted:

Rap beef talk the CE thread is 10,000% than election chat.

In honor of this thread's favorite argument topic (fast food):

I happened to be way out in the burbs over the weekend and found myself across the street from In-N-Out. I decided to try it and I do not get the hype.

Sure, it was pretty good and a few bucks cheaper than McD's, but it didn't rock my world or anything. I'd pick it over Whataburger if it was next door (although the lack of Coke Zero may render it DOA for my wife), but I wouldn't drive an extra 10 minutes to get to one either. At least Shake Shack has an interesting menu (and Coke Zero).

In summary, Shake Shack > In-N-Out.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Stultus Maximus posted:

I put in black raspberries and tomatoes to start. Then they all died and I found out that my soil has verticilium wilt.

Look into Dwarf Tomato Project varieties. They will happily grow in 5-10 gallon containers. I am growing Fred's Tie Dye, Dwarf Eagle Smiley, and Dwarf Mint Streak in 5 gallon containers and can strongly recommend the first two (DMS is productice but has kinda boring flavor and splits badly)

This bad boy has (fresh) shredded lettuce AND mayo and I'm not sorry about either:

Discussion Quorum posted:

My Fred's Tie Dye tomatoes are ripening, so I'm on an almost daily BLT kick. Can't stop won't stop.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Stultus Maximus posted:

How much do they produce? I enjoy BLTs and other summer fresh tomato foods, but the primary reason I want a significant tomato garden is to can tomatoes for use throughout the rest of the year.

They're pretty productive for their size. Note, I am in Houston, and I'm pretty sure my late start (didn't get plants out until April 1st, early March being ideal), followed by 90+ temps for much of May/June, has negatively affected my yield. But right now, one plant of each is keeping me eating fresh tomatoes almost every day.

E: being specific, I think Fred's Tie Dye will give me 12-15 9-10oz tomatoes and Dwarf Mint Streak 2 dozen or so 2-5oz before it gets too hot. Dwarf Eagle Smiley is still going gangbusters, it's a cherry tomato so heat doesn't bother it as much

If you're looking to make sauce, there are other DTP varieties that are more suited to that. I can't speak to them, but Victory Seeds has a huge selection.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 22, 2024

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's that little salad I guess on the side?

It's just the leftover tomato, diced with some olive oil, salt, balsamic, and herbs.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I also am in the "thought I was being responsible given potential job instability/need for mobility but was actually just making it harder for myself" club. Graduating college directly into the Great Recession has left me very jumpy about massive financial commitments.

I am renting a house that would probably sell for $500K. My neighbor bought less than 10 years ago at half that and, I assume, is locked in at 2-3%.

Quoth DJ Khaled, congratulations, I played myself.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

A.o.D. posted:

Yes, the elders are abusing us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Works posted:

Dubya just starts walking around with a human skull

I've seen this act before. It's called "Bush-Cheney 2004" and the gag is that the skull is actually the one in charge.