Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is technically competent the best kind of competent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pmchem posted:

walgreens and target are perhaps not the best examples. their margins the past two years are lower than they were pre-pandemic and walgreens is not making money as a business:
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/WBA/walgreens/profit-margins
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TGT/target/profit-margins
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/WBA/walgreens/operating-income

instead look at the companies who produce the products which are stocked inside TGT and WBA. such as proctor and gamble, which has underwent a seemingly permanent margin expansion post-pandemic:
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/PG/procter-gamble/profit-margins

Are profit margins calculated before or after stock buybacks?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

lol

Wasn’t one of Boeing many problems that they did way too much buybacks instead of investing in R&D?

The current company I work for does a wave of layoffs shortly after every round of Stock buybacks they do.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

That seems like they're doing it wrong? Shouldn't you do the buybacks before the layoffs? That way your getting a cheaper purchase price for the buyback?

Yes that's what I said. Buybacks first, layoffs second. You get the price spike before the negative press hits. edit: They also keep the number of people laid off low so they don't have to do WARN notices.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 3, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

smdh, make the money disappear and vote guilty cause they are obviously crooked as hell.

Nah, they'd flip on you, probably have proof, and they'd end up with an overturned conviction, your own rear end in jail, and no money to show for it. Don't do stupid crimes, people.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm surprised the orange one didn't do this.

He doesn't pay anyone for anything. His MO would have been to make vague threats and promises, and then renege on his end of the bargsin when he gets what he wants.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They also specifically went after the youngest juror - a 23 year old woman. There definitely was an intended intimidation message here.

Here’s a thread from the reporter with more details

https://x.com/deenafaywinter/status/1797623367157322205?s=46

Also, this must suck

https://x.com/deenafaywinter/status/1797745478601490609?s=46

There's a mechanism by which sequestered jurors can get necessities and clothing. It's a solved problem. Source: I was a sequestered jurors once.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s the Feds so I’m sure the US Marshals are better organized than some random county’s sheriff department too. Still, showing up one day in the middle of the trial and randomly being sequestered has to suck.

It's an inconvenience, but as long as the judge isn't Lance Ito they should be fine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MonkeyFit posted:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of case was it?

A rather gruesome and completely senseless murder.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Oh, so was your sequestration caused by excessive local media attention?

Don't know. We were sequestered immediately after selection.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Eisenhower's ghost said that poo poo won't float on his watch, son.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How many astronauts that have touched another world do we have left?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I gotta imagine that after setting foot on another world, everything after that has to be something of a let down. At least he died doing what he loved.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

A much unkinder view is he was nothing more than yet another geriatric who shouldn't have been operating a vehicle and it was just good luck that he only killed himself rather than driving his Cadillac into a daycare.

You are right. That is a much unkinder view.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lake of Methane posted:

What does this mean?

The thing the pier has been most effective at, other than generating bad press about army incompetence, has been providing cover for an IDF operation. It has not been particularly useful as an aid delivery platform.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mustang posted:

Gotta love Democracy, the will of the people!

The problem is people are loving awful, and always have been.

If only a strong leader would come along and set us all straight. That'll surely fix things.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Seattle has a reputation for being rainy, but the Gulf Coast is the real rainiest part of CONUS. It's just the fact that we get a lot of sunshine, too, that keeps us from having the reputation the PNW does

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the problem: a fundamental design of the court system is that the judge never, ever talks to just one party. Defense wants a sidebar? Cool, bring the prosecution. Feds have a problem to be discussed without the jury? Cool, bring the defense with you. Need a weirdo motion filed? Great - did defense see it? Judge throws a hissy fit and clears the chambers? Both parties' lawyers stay around. Holy gently caress a juror just got a bribe on their doorstep? Ok counsels, let's discuss it together.

Here, the judge and prosecution got together for a two-hour chat without the defense. That's a monumental fuckup - remember Donnie yelling his bullshit about the prosecution and the judge being in cahoots? This is an actual, real example of that!

Nothing really wrong with a judge trying to find a resolution that gets a witness to testify. Huge problem when he does so behind closed doors with the prosecution, the witness, and the witness's lawyer. He forgot the lawyer for the defendants!

Edit: AAAAAAH

https://x.com/yashar/status/1800284745009656069?t=1Mc3jNgPWjHUYM4fWWm6Nw&s=19

Dude looks like he just picked up the chainsaw. Find some meat!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The legal system was a mistake, time to go back to chthonic furies hounding oathbreakers as Chronus intended.

Yeah, but in that system regicide is the worst crime one can commit other than blasphemies against the gods. I don't think I can support going back to that. I don't want harpies eating my liver until the end of time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

But probably not pass the background check

The guy had the financial means and the lack of criminal record to have owned a properly maintained Maxim heavy machine gun. We should be thankful that those kinds of events are done by irrational actors.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The past several years, starting with Apartheid Clyde's cave submarine debacle, have made me leery of anyone with a personal beef making the accusation of pedophilia. I'm at the point now where it's been made enough by some real poo poo heels with projection issues that I ignore it until proof is given.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

It’s easy to find out info on how much drake hung out with the underage girl from Stranger Things.

A lot.

I hope you can appreciate that there are reasons to not seek that kind of information out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just gonna put this out there: Shredded lettuce turns every burger into a bad burger.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

What craphole did you eat at that puts shredded lettuce on a burger?

It's way harder to find a place that puts whole leaf on a burger instead of shredded. LIke, it's the loving default in the US.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you can't gently caress around with the lettuce, the leaf is there as a barrier to keep the bun from getting soggy

Plus it doesn't wilt instantly the way the shredded crap does.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Steezo posted:

Green chile or gtfo. A good green chile cheeseburger is a near divine experience. Lettuce is a cowards burger topping.

Not just saying that because I live in New Mexico. That and chile rellenos are two reasons to stay in ABQ instead of making a left turn.

Picture the best green Chile burger youve ever had. Now imagine it with shredded lettuce. Ruined, isn't it? My thesis is that shredded lettuce can ruin anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Holy poo poo imagine putting anything other than cilantro and onion on your taco.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

cilantro doesnt belong on sandwiches. also gently caress that chemical tasting piece of poo poo herb

Sorry about your genetics.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

I was wondering what happened because the thread had 46 new posts. I was anxious as to what it could possibly be given the hellscape we walk the planes of.

Of course it was a food derail lol

It's not a derail. :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I feel like this belongs in the same category as the English Language Adjective Order.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You do actually own your home in the literal and legal sense of the word even if you have a mortgage on it. A lien is not ownership and at least in the US almost definitionally excludes use of the encumbered asset.

Or is this one of those "you never really own a home because of property taxes" things?

If Quackles is british that might explain things. Some places have very different ideas of what home ownership is, and in a lot of places what they call ownership we'd just call a long term lease.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nystral posted:

And the FAA outsourcing most of the regulatory compliance to the manufacturers themselves.

And a gross abuse of what qualifies as a new airframe vs marginal expansion of an existing airframe.

And… and… and…

Shits hosed man. We’re living in the cyberpunk future, just not one of the cool ones.

All cyberpunk is intensely dystopic. We just didn't get the chrome and artificial limbs, and the AI is really, really stupid. So yeah, not one of the cool ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lightpole posted:

They look old as poo poo. This is elder abuse.

Yes, the elders are abusing us.