Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

April Fools is upon us and Posthuman Studios has decided to join in on the fun by releasing an Eclipse Phase supplement that was written by an algorithm and artwork repainted by Google Deep Dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Truly a terrifying vision of a future where GM's are made redundant and eliminated by technology.

Soon, all our poo poo will be tapped out of the shrink between asteroids.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 3, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
A friend of mine actually had a funny/interesting/cute character concept of a gruff-looking non-talkative Fury with a bright green energetic Critter pet perched on her shoulder.

The twist of course was that the character was actually a rogue AGI sleeved into the Critter, and the Fury was a pod running a bodyguard program.

Think she went by Aces, as in 'Alien Shoulder Squirrel'.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The problem with the Jovians is that if you're going to make it that unsubtle, you need to make the (possibly accidental) subtext of the other polities into actual text.

Just flat out have a side-bar saying "Yeah, Titan has ASIs engineering consent, agent provocateurs everywhere, and could probably get a body for everyone if they weren't busy doing slavery with more steps while making money from the arms trade."

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I'm sort of curious as to why transhumanism specifically would be a regular thing to demonize in Eclipse Phase. The Big Bads of the setting aren't ascended humans doing horrible things at the limits of transhumanism and beyond. They're AIs, created intelligences. If anything that explains why people bother copying consciousnesses rather than just having an AI do the thing.

So yeah I guess the Jovians being kinda flat isn't a big deal to me because the focus of the setting isn't "maybe transhumanism went too far eh?" it's "holy gently caress truly non-human things are very scary when they're objectively better than us"

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

EdithUpwards posted:

The problem with the Jovians is that if you're going to make it that unsubtle, you need to make the (possibly accidental) subtext of the other polities into actual text.

Just flat out have a side-bar saying "Yeah, Titan has ASIs engineering consent, agent provocateurs everywhere, and could probably get a body for everyone if they weren't busy doing slavery with more steps while making money from the arms trade."

Rimward states that Titan is controlled by oligarchs, who are just more subtle than the ones on Mars, that there's a high rate of emotional issues because the bodies provided for free are not meant for everyone, plus there's massive issues with newcomers integrating into society, which leads to a rise in criminal syndicates stealing bodies for offworld export and so forth. They also have their own black ops teams, who know about Firewall and do not trust them at all. Oh and they research TITAN tech from Iapetus.

Also the Jovians have multiple factions/more nuance in the Rimward writeup. Quite a few Jovians have backups, resleeve, etc. They only use bioconservativism as a political tool to keep the poor masses in line. Many Jovians travel to other habitats for treatments not offered at home.

Players can still be Jovian if they want to in 2E. I just think there won't be a starting package explicitly designed out for them.

I think that every discussion of EP now always gets to "Why can't there be heroic/good bioconservatives, like every other sci-fi game?" with optional "I want transhumans to be the baddies!" point sooner or later.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Yeah, one of my players is currently playing a Jovian stranded on Mars. There is no difficulty in putting together a Jovian, just pick the skill packages that match what you want to do. At most, you may end up moving a few skills points around or changing knowledge categories, which is pretty common with other character concepts.

One of my players put together this form-fillable pdf for the playtest and I thought I'd share it. I'm planning to use it to keep track of character skills at various points in my playtest games, so that if they roll back to a previous back-up of their character it will be easy to handle. I thought it might be useful for other people!

https://designywhiny.tumblr.com/post/172667550690/char-sheet-fillablepdf

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

EP2.

Hurry upppppppppp.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They updated the quickstart last week.

I am fine with them taking their time, way too many RPG's were released or had new editions this year and I am full.

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
My group is starting an EP2 game with the playtest rules. We're all kinda confused about the "x2" in the kinetic weapons table (p. 10, Actions and Combat playtest thing). Does anyone know what they were going for?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I now understand how to explain hypercapitalism.

https://twitter.com/acupunctureUSS/status/1040172173925728256

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Because I don't have a ton of experience with longer EP games I was wondering how much stress on average do people think a player would generally incur per session? I'm considering using the amount of stress the group takes as a good way to award bonus Rez (it's a resource they have some control over, and taking stress means they're doing something interesting) but having some numbers to base my assumptions on would be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
It does depend a lot on the session and the choices your players make, of course.

Stress is much, much harder to recover than damage, so that's definitely something to take into account. I'm still figuring out the best way to handle some of it, but I would expect on average about between 2d6 to 2d10 stress per 4 hours of play. This is a very rough guideline, but maybe it will get you started.

In practice, my players may acquire no stress during a 2 hour investigation scenario, then get 1d10 or more once they find an exsurgent or get into combat. They do have a tendency to plug their brains into whatever weird tech they find, though, so YMMV.

You can take a look at the ways to recover stress and the example stress checks to ballpark it. Players should really be able to fulfill their Motivations (in some ways) during most 4 hour sessions, so that's usually 1d6 stress recovered. Getting psychosurgery is another 1d6 though many players just don't trust psychosurgeons. Natural stress recovery requires weeks without additional stresses, so is not terribly common for player characters.

gnapo posted:

My group is starting an EP2 game with the playtest rules. We're all kinda confused about the "x2" in the kinetic weapons table (p. 10, Actions and Combat playtest thing). Does anyone know what they were going for?

It's not just you. I don't get it either. (I've just been using the non-railgun versions of weapons.)

• Locked thread