Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Edit: If you're too cool for D&D, here is the CSPAM thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876907

Hello, goons of D&D! Earlier this year, forums user AhhYes organized a charity drive for immigrants by goons that raised more than 20,000 dollars! Today (which is December 8, 2018, when I wrote this) I donated blood. I’m generally broke and bad with money so I often only donate between 10 and 20 dollars to charities when I can, but I routinely donate blood. And as I was doing it this time I thought, you know, why don’t we do a goon blood/plasma drive?

This is the picture I took of myself when I was giving blood over the last weekend, and had this idea. :)

So that’s what this is going to be! Here are the rules:

1. Write on a piece of paper the following: “I donated blood for the Something Awful Forums!” Then, go donate blood/plasma, and take a picture of your arm with the piece of paper in the shot. If it’s not convenient to do it while the technicians are working (don’t get in their way!) then do it when you finish! This will be your proof of participation. You don’t have to and probably shouldn’t take a picture of yourself showing your face, but I won’t stop you if you’re a fearless goon. (If you don’t want to take a picture of yourself at all, you could take a picture of the paperwork they give you and write the message on there. Just make sure not to accidentally doxx yourself).
2. If you can’t or don’t want to donate blood, then you can substitute by making a donation to a reputable charity. There will be a list in the OP of charities known to be good, but if you want to choose another one (especially for non-American goons who want to help people in their local area) then be my guest. Just please research your charities and find one you can maximize your help by donating to! Post proof of this, generally the confirmation email, in the thread (remember to block out your email and personal information!).

As a reward and incentive for participating, we will be giving those who participate a gang tag designed by the very kind ShriekingMarxist! Please say thank you to SM!

We can also give out cute Christmas avatars, but that will be optional if you prefer the avatar you have now.

Sadly, I am broke, so I can’t do donation matching like AhhYes did. But if kind, well off goons would like to do donation matching,that would be super cool!

I will add a list of participants to the OP as time goes on. The cutoff for participation will be December 31st, 2018. Once the new year comes around, you won’t be able to get the gang tag for participation (until maybe next year if we do it again).

I’m not going to set any kind of minimum donation if you choose to go that route, but please donate in the spirit of trying to help those in need, and don’t go broke yourself to do this if you’re not well off.

Let’s make the world a slightly better place, goons!

Good charities to donate to:

GiveWell’s list of top charities.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
RAINN
https://justdetention.org/hope/
These are some suggestions, but if you have alternatives in mind, please post about them so that they might be added to the OP! Please choose charities based on need and their reputation for responsible service and do your research!

Prospective Avatar Options for You to Pick From:

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you want I can give you the Thanksgiving av of

to go with the gang tag.

:siren: Two goons have respectively offered to match $500 and $2000 worth of charity donations itt. :siren:

Contributor list:

VanguardFelix - $200 + $200 match from mystery person to JustDetention International
Bungeyjump - blood donation
Saagonsa - $25 to RAINN
Killer robot - $25 to RAICES
Leon Sumbitches - blood donation
El Pollo Blanco - blood donation
Xyven - donation matching, $560!
Solaris 2.0 - blood donation
A GIANT PARSNIP - $20 to AMF
glowing-fish - $10 to DWB/MSF
Krispy Wafer - $25 to JustDetention International
Shifty Pony - $120 to the ACLU
Winter Rose - $30 to SDRRN
tomapot - $50 to the Young Center
KickerOfMice - $10 to DWB/MSF
TheMightyHandful - blood donation
KDdidit - blood donation
theOctagon - $25
I dont know - $100 to DWB/MSF
Oracle - blood donation
Big Mad Drongo - $100 to the Young Center
Intoluene - blood donation
bandaid.friend - blood donation
axeil - $25 to DWB/MSF
Lager - blood donation
fishing with the fam - $50 to RAINN
eke out - $20 to the NWIRP
Nemo2342 - $35 to RAICES
Dave Grool - $55 to GiveWell
2DEG - $100 to DWB/MSF
Rampant Dwickery - $50 each to RAINN, the Trevor Project, and the Hispanic Federation
WhatEvil - 100 pounds to local food bank
DrNutt - $50 to RAICES
Dynastesaurus - $50 to the Young Center
Chilichimp - $25 to RAICES
bunnyofdoom - $30 to the Terry Fox Foundation
Queering Wheel - $50 to RAINN
FogOgg - $20 monthly donation to RAICES
PainterofCrap - $50 to DWB/MSF
Ginger Beer Belly - $50 + $50 employer match to DWB/MSF
Your Boy Fancy - $250(!) to DWB/MSF
Cochise - $25 to DWB/MSF
The Hooded Claw - 25 pounds to DWB/MSF.
pro starcraft loser - $25 to DWB/MSF
UltimoDragonQuest - blood donation
Potrzebie - $25 to MSF/DWB
CannonFodder - thread MVP, blood donation + $1,000 to Matenwa Learning Center, $1,000 to DWB/MSF, $1,000 to RAINN, and $479.31 to the Lowtax spine fund.
G.I. Jaw - $25 to RAINN
Giant Metal Robot - $200 to DWB/MSF
ANIME AKBAR - $500(!) to the Young Center.
bowmore - $12 to the ASRC
Moon Atari - $150 to the Smith Family Charity
Flannelette - $60 to DWB/MSF
Kommando - $74 to UNICEF
HonorableTB - $50 to DWB/MSF
Scrublord Prime - $80 to RAINN and $50 to the Terry Fox Foundation
Mexican Radio - 100$ respectively to RAINN, RAICES, and the Young Center + employer matched
System Metternich - blood donation
taiyoko - blood donation
torgo - $50 to RAICES
Wingnut Ninja - $100 to RAINN
Farchanter - $50 to RAICES
Doom Goon - $12 to DWB/MSF
Zauper- $100 each for bread for the city, caring bridge, st judes, peer forward (formerly college summit), international rescue committee.
Chilly Rabbit - blood donation
ambitious spider - $25 to RAICES
froglet - blood/platelet donation
Hawkeye - $250 to the Young Center
LeoMarr - $10 to the Clinton Foundation (lol)
NPR Journalizard - blood donation
iajanus - donation to DWB/MSF
vitalsigns - $100 to Young Center for Immigrant Rights
Eighty - blood donation
Lunar Suite - donation to Crisis
Urcher - blood donation
Whitlam - blood donation
Fulchrum - $100 to the Young Center and $25 to RAICES
eviltastic - blood donation
mmj - blood donation matching
Staltran - $50 to anti-malaria charities

total for this thread, roughly, not including conversions for foreign currencies: $8,743

total for both threads + donation matching is: $14,375.71!

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

UK goons, the best resource available for learning the ins and outs of blood donations, where your nearest/next donation is and whether they accept walk ins is https://www.blood.co.uk

You may not get an appointment before new years, but sign up anyway, the nhs always needs more blood

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Oh this is timely im scheduled to donate this Saturday! O- type here!

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can’t donate blood because of medications but donated to Just Detention a charity trying to end assault on prisoners and give a voice to those who nobody wants to listen to.

Right now that have a 1:1 matching from an anonymous source!

Also they have a annual event where you can write messages of support to inmates who suffered sexual assault to help them through the holidays.

https://justdetention.org/hope/

edit: Are we supposed to indicate donation amount?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VanguardFelix posted:

edit: Are we supposed to indicate donation amount?

:siren: You don't have to indicate donation amount but if you do I'll put it next to your name in the OP. :siren:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VanguardFelix posted:

Can’t donate blood because of medications but donated to Just Detention a charity trying to end assault on prisoners and give a voice to those who nobody wants to listen to.

to go with the gang tag.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 13, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My blood donation was booked back in summer and it'll be on the 27th December and probably still contain 5 units of alcohol

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Party Plane Jones posted:

to go with the gang tag.

That would be dope on a rope thanks PPJ :3:

Also LK it was $200 with a $200 match, if I see any extra pay for the holidays I’ll be helping out more!

Edit: quoting hard so what

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
If my BP is low enough I will donate later next week!

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie
By coincidence I did this on Monday!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It’s been a minute since I’ve donated actually. Used to do platelets back in the Delta. Gonna find someone local in DC.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Just gave blood last week, though can do the charity thing instead. I'll pick something out soon but I also want to encourage people not to see it as a one-off blood drive, but a habit to get into. There's a constant need for fresh blood, and for a long list of reasons many people aren't eligible, so steady donors are always welcome. (The same thing is true for these charities, but at least money keeps long-term).

If you want to know general requirements and reasons for deferment, this is a basic list for US donors. Mostly they have to do with your medical history, current medications, or whether you've spent time in places with malaria or mad cow problems. Good news is that men who have had sex with men are no longer lifetime deferments like they used to be. Bad news is, you still have to wait a year. Things like tattoos and piercings depend on on the state you got them in. If the state has compliant regulations to prevent blood-borne illness you're probably good, if not you'll have to wait a year.

If you're not used to blood donation, one thing to know is that depending on your blood type, they might want different components of your blood more than others, such as red cells, platelets, or plasma.

Each of them have a different donation interval, since your body can replace different components at different speeds. You can give whole blood every eight weeks, platelets once a week, and plasma twice a week, allowing you to help more people if you can spare the time. If you give just red cells they take twice as many, so you can give every sixteen weeks. That's a good fit if you can't go often but have the right blood type.

One drawback of all of those is that they take special equipment so not every donation center can do all of them. They might also have additional donor requirements: you need to meet higher height and weight requirements to give red cells, for example.

If that all sounds complicated or if you don't know your type, they'll never pass up whole blood donations either.

Elvis Enwright
Jun 22, 2004
just like any other man, only more so
I'll get right on it. A gang tag AND the dancing, swimming Thanksgiving dog AV will be exciting.

I'll even see if I can get a picture of the special "baby's blood" bag they use for my blood. I'm O negative, but I'm also negative for cytomegalovirus ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_cytomegalovirus ), so they split up my pint into smaller bags for babies, since it's safe for them in a pinch.

This also gives me an excuse to avoid babies, as dirty babies and changing diapers are common ways to get CMV.

I'll post a photo when I can.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

(and can't post for 14 days!)

I donated plasma earlier today before I saw this thread, hopefully I'll get another donation in before the 31st this month though, and will take a picture!

e: did actually get a picture of my donation yesterday, can I post my donor id card with the message as proof or is this fine as it is?

I'd be happy with the gang tag and Thanksgiving av!

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 19, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Something like 98% of people don’t donate and at any one time 98% of the 2% that do donate, can’t. The whole system revolves on a tiny fraction of the population consistently getting out there and offering up a vein.

Speaking as a recent inductee of the 4 gallon club, donating is one of the best things you can do.

Even plasma for money is a great thing even though it has a bad stigma. The US supplies 3/4 of the world’s plasma and it represents 1% of our trade exports. If we didn’t pay people for it there would be worldwide ramifications.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

These suckers give you free stuff in exchange for blood you made without any effort.
https://twitter.com/RedCross/status/1067800715274399745
From Dec. 20 to Jan 6 there is ~*A FREE LONG SLEEVE T-SHIRT*~ for donating.

I'm not moving off my 9 week schedule so no blood until the 3rd for me.

361 to go. :toot:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oh poo poo. Those are all whole blood donations. You didn’t even use the trick where you run up your numbers doing platelets once a week.

That’s a lot of blood.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Can you give blood if you are on ADHD meds?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

friendbot2000 posted:

Can you give blood if you are on ADHD meds?

Yes (but check the list. They’ll ask you about it and defer you if it is but I’m on ADHD meds and it was fine).

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

This is really great! Both to get people in the spirit of giving and because I'm eligible to give again tomorrow! Will update this post with a photo after I make my A+ (would donate again) blood sacrifice.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm gay so I'm not allowed to donate blood, but I did donate to RAINN

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Here's my RAICES donation:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Just gave a big ol bag of blood, quick and easy to go through the whole process. Give!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

As promised I donated blood today. I'm O negative so I'll try to make this a more regular occurrence. Here is my proof!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

I'm gay so I'm not allowed to donate blood

Let me just say what everyone is thinking: "This is some straight up bullshit."

(Posting so that this is bookmarked and so I can remember to sign up to give blood. I remember seeing an appointment I can do on Christmas Eve.)

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I'll match the next $500 of donations

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xyven posted:

I'll match the next $500 of donations

Oh my gosh, thank you!

I have been crazy busy the last two days and haven’t had a chance to update the OP but I will tonight. I have been seeing your posts!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
As much as I’d like to help the Red Cross, they decided I had Chagas’ disease seven years ago (false positive) and have refused me ever since. Which is loving obnoxious. They even admitted it was a false positive, and apparently the policy is even then, you get told to gently caress off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I regrettably don't have enough knowledge to go into details, but my understanding is the Red Cross is run unimaginably badly on some levels. Lotsa good people there, good cause, lots of real scuzzball incompetents.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I donated plasma earlier today before I saw this thread, hopefully I'll get another donation in before the 31st this month though, and will take a picture!

e: did actually get a picture of my donation yesterday, can I post my donor id card with the message as proof or is this fine as it is?

I've been accepting them without the message because if you're petty enough to lie about this for an avatar/gang tag, you're already going to Hell. :colbert:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

poo poo outside the US is hosed up enough without our recent bullshit. I can't fix everything, but I hope this helps a few folks out:

Also I'll take the santa cat av, thanks in advance! If possible I'd like "too much fuckin eggnog" as the title below.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I felt bad asking for a title too so I donated another $10 to make up for it

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Chipping in with a 10 dollar donation to DWB/MSF:

Is it okay if this doubles with the $10 I am donating every time a Republican operative/flunky gets indicted or pleads guilty?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Couldn’t yesterday because BP was to high. Stress from a flare up in my leg wasn’t helping. Trying again tomorrow

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

glowing-fish posted:

Is it okay if this doubles with the $10 I am donating every time a Republican operative/flunky gets indicted or pleads guilty?

I don't anticipate many of them will be pleading guilty before January 1st but if you donate more, just post again!

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 16, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Someone else donated to this cause earlier in the thread. I didn’t even know this organization existed, but its something I’ve felt pretty strongly about.

Not sure if it qualifies for in-thread matching, but my job will match it regardless.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
You guys are all awesome for donating blood. My wife wouldnt be here today without all your help

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I can't donate blood because my body just gives up on the whole blood pressure regulation thing within a minute after being stuck and I pass out. I've tried again and again but it just keeps getting worse and wastes their equipment.

Edit: I'm happy with my current av.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 18, 2018

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Happy Christmas, I got you a bag of blood.

https://imgur.com/a/OITzm28

This was a great idea, and I genuinely wouldn't have thought about donating this week without this charity challenge. Here's to you, anonymous blood-needing patient, and I sincerely hope you have a happy new year.

In my 9 years on this forum I've never had an avatar. Surprise me with an adorable animal avatars!

e: dammit, why won't my image show?
e2: never mind, the url will work as proof instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Donated to a local coalition of charities that was recently formed to provide shelter, travel funds, a hotline, and legal assistance to refugees in the Tijuana-San Diego area. San Diego Rapid Response Network.

If this qualifies, I'd love a puppies av :D