Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So hey I've been bumming around in this game for a few days now. I decided I want to try producing some kind of resource, any suggestions? I haven't really spent much time figuring out the economy, so I'm not really sure what's worth producing. I was thinking iron looks like it tends to be in demand though.

I'm a privateer by the way, so none of the fancy freetrader stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The issue is most people who want to make boats make all the stuff they need on multiple accounts or through their guild.

Check buy orders and look for a mid production item and make one of those.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
PotBS Username is Thronde, played for a while when SOE still had it, figure I'll give it a casual shot to log in, shoot some ships, and bounce out. Advice for someone starting fresh?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The leveling in the game is pretty easy. Just pick something with the most guns.

Each few levels you will get a new ship either store bought or stolen if you are a national or pirate.

Don't worry about losing a ship. Find a nice guild that may help you, and grouping isn't a bad thing.

Also for more updates on the game, check this link out.

http://portalusgames.com/

Apparently they just did a rehaul of the structures in the game.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Holy poo poo I didn't realize this was back, do we have a TS for this or something like that, because I am ABSOLUTELY redownloading this.

Edit: Oh, it's back in the same sense that ultima online is back... Well it's worth a shot for a bit at least.

Forer fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 22, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The development team is like 2 or 3 guys in a shack.

The goon guild is non operational.

They are working to get this on steam currently. And with that, steam works.

If that happens, cool. If not, oh well.

Since they have gotten their hands back on it they have added some new ships, done a cannon range balance pass, and changed up the economy.

Their cash shop store still works and it is not a bad f2p model. The economy shake up also further changes this. I am pretty certain the top tier best vessels are p2w though. At least for line battles.

I haven't logged in since the cannon changes.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

I rolled a pirate a couple nights ago on Antigua after quitting for six months and the rats had a full waiting list for a port battle. Pretty sure this game is the cockroach of MMO's.

I can't create a society because all my old sub accounts are locked French, but if anyone wants to play I'm Kenby Kenbus ingame.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Made a Brit just to play around with, but Rat's my main. I'd loving love to eventually get my hands on a first rate, but I'm not even sure that's possible?

Thronde Yar/Arr (Buc/CT) are my characters. Game's goddamned fun still. And since it's so old, it looks great for it's age maxed out on my system now.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm getting fed up with all of the games I'm playing these days, so I'm going to reinstall this game I got fed up with several months ago. I should still have a level 10-ish rat named Archie Del Mago, but I don't know if I should join a society before 50. That's what I did as a don and it worked out okay.

Is there even an active goon society for me to join?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Not really an active goon guild at the moment.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm 21 and still puttering around. I noticed that they added "elite" fleets headed by first rates. When did that happen? Is it possible for a pirate to capture one?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reggin posted:

Not really an active goon guild at the moment.

Too bad I was thinking of getting back into this

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Too bad I was thinking of getting back into this

Do you still measure prices of things in big macs? We keep wondering about that in mumble.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reggin posted:

Do you still measure prices of things in big macs? We keep wondering about that in mumble.
No, because the meal is no longer $5 so now I do a double cheeseburger meal.

:cool:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kind of wish we could goonrush this now. Bunch of lvl 5 schooners grinding Elite fleets would be hilarious

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I see they didn't bother to rebuild the forums. Was kinda curious how things have changed.

Skimming the blog, it seems they spent over 6 months just on one major patch? That's pretty drat slow, and they appear to be addressing issues that didn't seem like a problem before (save the auction house and crafting stuff). No info on updating other old MMO mechanics still lurking in the background, like giving quest credit to dead party members. That was like half the reason I didn't touch any of the group missions, the other half being I didn't want to risk losing my expensive and only good ship permanently over a poo poo group.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

I see they didn't bother to rebuild the forums. Was kinda curious how things have changed.

Skimming the blog, it seems they spent over 6 months just on one major patch? That's pretty drat slow, and they appear to be addressing issues that didn't seem like a problem before (save the auction house and crafting stuff). No info on updating other old MMO mechanics still lurking in the background, like giving quest credit to dead party members. That was like half the reason I didn't touch any of the group missions, the other half being I didn't want to risk losing my expensive and only good ship permanently over a poo poo group.

In their defense, it is 3 dudes in nearly a basement. SWGEmu has more staff.

Edit: It's pretty bad that I've decided to make this my go-to MMO for the foreseeable future. AA is poo poo, Wildstar was always crap, WOW bores me and always has. Rift is the second closest and even that is pretty meh now.

Edit 2: poo poo, now I can't even get the installer to work. Bummer.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
People in this thread are aware of Naval Action, right? http://www.navalaction.com/

Only in alpha so fr but the battles are very good and it promises to eventualy become a MMO world like PotBS.

There's a goon thread about it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683189&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

• Locked thread