Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

SifuToast posted:

Haha. He just wanted to not run a business anymore. We cut a lot of stuff for all sorts of people. Making things for people on the internet was the whole point. I'm glad you guys liked your steel, I'm also really glad I had a chance to finally offer something back to the goons.

If anything you goons were proof that the idea and the model worked.

I have used the steel I ordered a couple of weeks ago a few times and have no idea how the hell I lived without it and thanks to you I no longer have to suffer after eating pizza from Papa John's. That 25 lb. slab of bridge you made into a pizza steel for me has restored my love of home made pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SifuToast posted:

If anything you goons were proof that the idea and the model worked.

honestly, I will say that when I was looking over your company's website, it blew my mind that anyone was even offering a service like that. it really made me want to like, CAD a computer case design and start some botique case company, or make 3rd party automotive parts or something, just because you'd make it easy.

dunno what the money is like in your industry, but it really is a good business idea.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ahdinko posted:

Does anyone know where I could get one of these in the UK? I've looked around amazon and they don't sell anything of the sort, while the item price is great from Robinsonlaser, shipping+handling is about $280 which a bit a rich for me.
I've seen sites that I can upload those files to, but what kind of steel do I want? Mild or stainless? There seems to be like 10 different grades/finishes of each I can get too and I'm really confused.

I found some stainless that is definitely food safe (BS316) but is stainless ok for this thing or does it need to be mild?

I'm just gonna get a cast iron plate meant for a grill, they come in all shapes and sizes and even in the lovely selection of finnish stores I can find them.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm just gonna get a cast iron plate meant for a grill, they come in all shapes and sizes and even in the lovely selection of finnish stores I can find them.

I rang around a few local companies, prices ranged from £150 each to £10.50
I actually just placed my order yesterday for 4 at a company in the next town over that is doing them for £10.50 each which is an amazing price. For something this heavy I think its something we will just have to source within the country as international shipping is crazy. I went for S275 steel which apparently is the British equivalent of A36
Just google for laser cutting metal companies in your local area, I'm sure you'll find something unless you live in the remotest part of Lapland

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2014

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Ahdinko, where about are you? I've found a hand full of numbers to call around the Northwest, Stoke up to Stockport if probably reasonable pick up distance for me. Thought I'd ask on the off chance you were in a similar are and could save me a the phone calls!

I tried a cast iron plate off Amazon, but its ever so slightly dished so my sauce seems to pool in the middle much more than it ever did on my old stone. And it's only 30cm too, so not much wriggle room.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MeKeV posted:

Ahdinko, where about are you? I've found a hand full of numbers to call around the Northwest, Stoke up to Stockport if probably reasonable pick up distance for me. Thought I'd ask on the off chance you were in a similar are and could save me a the phone calls!

I tried a cast iron plate off Amazon, but its ever so slightly dished so my sauce seems to pool in the middle much more than it ever did on my old stone. And it's only 30cm too, so not much wriggle room.

We were using a large cast iron Lodge skillet and making deep dish pizzas in it and they came out really good.. once we dialed in the right amount of ingredients so it did not make a mess in the middle either. The key was spreading the sauce more outwards and leaving the middle with less as it tends to pool there.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

MeKeV posted:

I'm in Hertfordshire, so a way from you. The company I went with in the end, I didn't even bother calling them. I just got their email off their website, and sent them the DXF file in the OP and my requirements. They came back a day later with the price.
I picked them up last week and made my first pizza on it on Saturday, it was awesome. You might have to ask around a few companies though as I mentioned in my above post, the price seemed to vary wildly from £150 a piece to a tenner, I guess some places just aren't really interested in small jobs

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Laminator posted:

BearPope cycling jerseys are pretty consistently successful, probably thanks to the catfish in a cowboy hat.

Sucks this goon deal is shutting down, thanks for running it while it lasted! Your steel will live on forever as a testament to the power of some internet forum.

Yep same here brother, we now have a family pizza night every Sunday! Thank you for the deal and getting me into making amazing pizzas at home.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

The project may be dead, but the dream lives on :dance:

A bit smaller than the usual (but the perfect size for my family's usual personal-pizza deals), but a bit thicker than most. Should fit nicely in my oven. Going to pick it up in a week and honestly was expecting it to cost a lot more given how the Australia Tax usually works. Now to buy some welding gloves and a fire extinguisher because gently caress it why not. I bought a cast-iron plate about the same size last week for half that price, but seeing as our oven (and all Australian ovens, near as I can tell) lacks a top-broiler element inside the actual oven, I'll use it as a ghetto top-element and melt the faces off some mozzarella.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh, ho ho ho, what's this? A griddle steel?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/the-food-lab-the-new-reversible-baking-steelg.html

quote:

I can hear those folks in the louder corners of the internet now: I could make this myself for $40, or you could find a slab of metal for free at the scrap heap, and both those things may be true, but I personally don't have access to machining tools and I don't really feel like cooking eggs on something I found at the scrap yard.

Gloves thrown.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha god drat I was just going to report on this after several weeks of using it for griddling. My 3/8" goon steel was great last night for tortillas and grilling fish tacos. Laying it across the other two burners (opposite the high output/simmer pair) at half was almost perfectly 350 degrees at steady state. I have not yet tried it as a huge cold sink for freezing poo poo though.

Edit: oh no grease ring though.

Edit2:lol at the idea of moving 30 lbs of hot steel from the top to your oven rack.

Hed fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 1, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I use mine a couple of times a week for pizza, tortillas and everything in between.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Since I sadly didn't jump on this deal, I've been looking around at local metal suppliers and a few stock/make things in the A36 steel. If I call to order one what other sort of things do I need to ask them about to make it food safe? I was going to order a bakingsteel.com one but wanted to price shop a bit locally.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Ask for a plate of 14"x16" 3/8" thick hot rolled steel.

As far as food safety, don't paint it. When you first get it, thoroughly clean it with dish soap and extra hot water. You want to get rid of any residual cutting oil, because while it is exceedingly unlikely to do you any harm, it will taste bad. Finally, sterilize with bleach water of an appropriate dilution, preferably by soaking.

e:
Sorry for the necro, I didn't realize what page I was on.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

CrazySalamander posted:

Ask for a plate of 14"x16" 3/8" thick hot rolled steel.

As far as food safety, don't paint it. When you first get it, thoroughly clean it with dish soap and extra hot water. You want to get rid of any residual cutting oil, because while it is exceedingly unlikely to do you any harm, it will taste bad. Finally, sterilize with bleach water of an appropriate dilution, preferably by soaking.

e:
Sorry for the necro, I didn't realize what page I was on.

I'm cool with the necro, I've considered doing the same. Why hot rolled and not cold rolled? Is that to prevent bowing or something related to the internal stresses caused by the cold rolling process? Even though it's quite a bit more expensive, would stainless be better? Is that the only reason to not go stainless?

Also, what about sanding/polishing to make it smoother/shinier?

I'm probably going to get a 2 from a metal supplier a little under half the width of my grill, since that seems to work drat well.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fire Storm posted:

Also, what about sanding/polishing to make it smoother/shinier?

I use mine weekly and it's the best thing.. I have not had a bad pizza yet with this.

I would advise against sanding/polishing because after a while it will darken up from use. After use I simply wipe mine down with a damp cloth to get any crumbs off and back into the oven it goes for storage. Polishing or sanding will likely negate the seasoning of the steel and you will have to go through that process all over again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fire Storm posted:

Even though it's quite a bit more expensive, would stainless be better? Is that the only reason to not go stainless?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The only notable difference in this particular use would be that cold rolled is probably going to be more expensive, AFAIK. If someone has a spare cold rolled plate they'll give you for free (or for some free pizzas), go for it, it shouldn't make a difference.

(This assumes you/a friend aren't doing any welding to it. If this is untrue, go with your/their preference if the steel is going to be full price)

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
took me long enough - had to start a sourdough from scratch first

loving lousy pictures of the face of god

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Looks tasty though..

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
After about a month of neglect, my pizza steel has a bunch of rust on it. Do I use coca cola to remove the rust?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shadowhand00 posted:

After about a month of neglect, my pizza steel has a bunch of rust on it. Do I use coca cola to remove the rust?

Where was it stored? Did you have it seasoned? I have not gone for more than a week without using mine so I cannot say it has had it. I have taken fine grit sandpaper to it to get it nice and shiny before seasoning it again.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
If you seasoned it properly and didn't leave it sitting around wet you shouldn't be getting rust. Scour all the rust off (using sandpaper or Bar Keeper's Friend or something), clean it, and reseason.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Oh god I really need to find a source for these in Finland. The weather is super hot but I decided making pizza would be a good idea. My dough wouldn't behave and my pizza turned into a mutant calzone and now my baking stone is broken, urgh. :saddowns:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just bought a 25 lb. sack of high gluten flour. Stay tuned.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I used my steel on the grill at my parent's house and forget it outside for the past couple months. Not looking forward to derusting it :(

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

geetee posted:

I used my steel on the grill at my parent's house and forget it outside for the past couple months. Not looking forward to derusting it :(

That's what happened to mine. I'm still a bit lazy...

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Did any Canadian goons ever find a good place to have something like this made? A local company quoted me about $50 with tax for a piece of 16x14x0.375" hot rolled A36 back in January, but they wanted $150 more to waterjet cut the corners. I haven't been in touch with many other places, but I get the impression very few companies will set up anything for a whole lot less than that, so the price tends to be ridiculously high for a single piece, then much cheaper if you get 5+ made at once.

I don't have $150 to spend on a Baking Steel so I'm tempted to just get the cut piece and be done with it. Even that is pretty expensive for basic steel plate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just get it cheaper with the corners. Corners are not bad for you. Some of the best things I know have corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
They're now quoting me $74 for the same piece of steel :rolleyes:

• Locked thread