Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Alpacalips Now posted:

I just remembered Goosebumps books.

One, which was about a girl who was ACTUALLY A GHOST but didn't know until the end, was so lovely that even 9-year-old me realized that it was terrible, and I quit reading the books all together. The book had no plot. There was a boy who she thought was a ghost, but he obviously wasn't. Sometimes the girl would be able to touch things, and sometimes she wouldn't. People saw her and interacted with her, except when they didn't.

That was actually one of the better ones, and I remember back when people were raving about The Sixth Sense, all I could think was "that was literally a Goosebumps book."

I kept buying and reading them long, long after I stopped enjoying them. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Speaking of Gossebumps. This is the opposite of the thread but I like to think the Escape From Horrorland adventure game still holds up even though it has everything against it as an FMV tie-in.

Although, it DOES have Jeff Goldblum as Dracula:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ifarNLR5Po&t=149s

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I read 8-Bit Theater and Bob and George back in the day, and I'm really afraid to go back to them and see how lovely they really are.

Webcomics in general, really. It seemed like starting around 2000-ish there were a handful of comics like Framed! and Sluggy Freelance that were doing some interesting, if flawed, experimentation with the medium, and I remember thinking that it would only get better from there. Boy, was I wrong.

8-Bit Theater is still really good and I've actually been re-reading it recently. Seriously, it stands up. Bob and George, I've not read in years, so I don't know how it's aged, but probably not well.

Alpacalips Now posted:

I just remembered Goosebumps books.

One, which was about a girl who was ACTUALLY A GHOST but didn't know until the end, was so lovely that even 9-year-old me realized that it was terrible, and I quit reading the books all together. The book had no plot. There was a boy who she thought was a ghost, but he obviously wasn't. Sometimes the girl would be able to touch things, and sometimes she wouldn't. People saw her and interacted with her, except when they didn't.

As a kid I read the Fear Street series which was basically the even more over dramatic and "serious" alternative to Goosebumps. I can't tell which was worse written.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
In the topic of Goosebumps books: http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/modernize-goosebumps-stine/1/

I found a stash of old CD's which included some warez/:filez: CD's and just regular games on them, the CD was labelled Fav Games. So many lovely racing games, so many lovely DOS knock-offs. I dunno if Skunny Kart is good or bad, or was it Wacky Wheels that was the good one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0JzpjINeE0

Croccers has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
The ghost girl might have been one of the more original Goosebumps stories, but I think the book's lack of tension or consistency frustrated me. I remember at the end, the narrator even said something like "Sometimes I could kick a ball and ride a bike, but sometimes I couldn't." At least with the other books, he had "Kid goes to new town, makes a friend, discovers a monster but no one believes them, then escapes or defeats it somehow" down to a slick science. He tried something new, it didn't work out. It was like sitting down to eat a McDonald's burger once a week, but then one week unexpectedly biting into a crappy, undercooked meatloaf sandwich. Kudos to R.L. Stine for trying to make something better than monster of the week, I guess.

Also, I liked those virtually impossible platform action games for NES and SNES. For every good Mario, Megaman or Contra game, there were like 20 knockoffs. There were levels where you had to do bullshit jumps with birds that killed you. And levels filled with ladders, levels with vehicles you could not stop and barely steer, and water that killed you if you stayed under for more than a few seconds. Maybe they were good at the time, but now they just seem like bullshit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Webcomics in general, really. It seemed like starting around 2000-ish there were a handful of comics like Framed! and Sluggy Freelance that were doing some interesting, if flawed, experimentation with the medium, and I remember thinking that it would only get better from there. Boy, was I wrong.
There are good webcomics, it's just that, since absolutely anyone can make a webcomic regardless of whether they can draw or write, there are a lot of lovely ones too.

Croccers posted:

I dunno if Skunny Kart is good or bad, or was it Wacky Wheels that was the good one?
I've never heard of Skunny Kart, but I used to enjoy Wacky Wheels.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I was gonna say Dragon Age 2 but while writing it I realised it pales in comparison to just me in general.

I know this is kind of the stock answer, but believe me when I say I was a particularly 'troubled teen'. Without going into all the gruesome details that hopefully won't make it to my headstone, all I'll say is I'm certain I remember unironically calling someone a peasant more than a couple of times.

The fact that, from there, I managed to become the naive rear end in a top hat I am now still astounds me to this day; because I could be a 10th of the person I am today and it would still be an improbably drastic improvement.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I used to be a hardcore MRA miltiant-atheist libertarian in high school.

I am a junior in college and am currently a feminist ally, agnostic theist with heavy Buddhist leanings, and hardcore Marxist. Funny how it works out. :unsmith:

So you're still a dumbass, cool. Why can't you just be a person?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Similarly, on the topic of the Redwall series, the first page I read on Something Awful. Still gives me a chuckle.

To close this particular point, I merely ask you to consider the following line of dialogue from the main mole character, Buggo: "Hurr, oi'd ar remoindin' ya ta be kiollin' burr lowur racies hurr durr".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Bob and George is garbage, but 8-Bit Theater is still good, albeit really bad at pacing.

8-bit Theater was pretty amazing but it spawned about a bajillion awful sprite comics. The internet used to be full of them and I briefly read went around looking for them. It took about a month before I realized that almost all of them were utter trash, not the least bit funny, and generally written by people with no comic-making skills that thought they were making the next 8-bit Theater. Very few of them lasted for long, most of the ones I remember have vanished into the sands of internet oblivion.

But at least I never read Bob and George for very long. Little consolation, though, many of the comics I read actually made Bob and George look good. In retrospect I wonder why I actually read so many of them.

Webcomics are kind of a different beast in and of themselves. On one hand you have things like Girl Genius, which is actually quite incredible. Then you have other things like Looking for Group, which leaves me thinking "why do I still read this?"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Croccers posted:

I dunno if Skunny Kart is good or bad, or was it Wacky Wheels that was the good one?

Tiggum posted:

I've never heard of Skunny Kart, but I used to enjoy Wacky Wheels.

I've never played Skunny Kart, but you've seriously never heard of Skunny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6AP3TyzpxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_Wzgh2JhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1lJLxSnO3Q

Ok ok, I admit that it's a pretty obscure series and that none of the games were really all that good, but Skunny: Special Edition at least had a pretty good built-in level editor that made it a little less lovely.

E: Rewatching those videos, goddamn those were some lovely games, I can't believe I used to play them.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Jun 9, 2014

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Smoking weed I was a daily weed smoker from my latter years of high school (2004-05) until about mid to late 2013. If I wasn't at work (and sometimes even when I was) I would be almost always a little bit stoned.After a while I began to realize it'd make me paranoid, to the point where I wasn't enjoying it. The generalized anxiety would spill over to me being frustrated with myself even when I wasn't high. I'd also realize I wouldn't talk too much in social situations when I was high, even though I wanted to. God forbid I tell people on the internet weed isn't the greatest god damned thing via the internet. Ya don't need to be high all the time everybody.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

8-bit Theater was pretty amazing but it spawned about a bajillion awful sprite comics. The internet used to be full of them and I briefly read went around looking for them. It took about a month before I realized that almost all of them were utter trash, not the least bit funny, and generally written by people with no comic-making skills that thought they were making the next 8-bit Theater. Very few of them lasted for long, most of the ones I remember have vanished into the sands of internet oblivion.
There was one sprite comic named Eight Easy Bits whose entire premise was "guy does sprite comics thinking they're high art" that more or less sent up the entire scene, such as it was (seeing that every classic game under the sun has been made into a sprite comic, our hero resorts to trying one with Tetris blocks). In its later days I used to help the guy out with the, well, graphics. If you used to be into sprite comics, you should probably check that out for old times' sake, even though there's not a proper archive anymore.

You might want to know that several episodes feature art by KC Green. I am serious.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Avenged Sevenfold. Holy loving poo poo they are trash.

I still think Waking the Fallen is sonic gold, though I'm convinced this is purely accidental, like a real life example of the monkeys on typewriters thing.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
As some said, some terrible music like nu metal, death metal, grind, etc. (Still some great heavy music but most of it is utter trash)

Someone else said Warhammer, yeah, hundreds of dollars on little figurines and a dumb table game thats overly complex? nah.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
This thread! :stat::wal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I've never played Skunny Kart, but you've seriously never heard of Skunny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6AP3TyzpxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_Wzgh2JhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1lJLxSnO3Q

Ok ok, I admit that it's a pretty obscure series and that none of the games were really all that good, but Skunny: Special Edition at least had a pretty good built-in level editor that made it a little less lovely.

E: Rewatching those videos, goddamn those were some lovely games, I can't believe I used to play them.

I love/hate the bizarre unfinished sound effects and obvious Donkey Kong Country rip offs in that third video.

• Locked thread