Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

he also talks about how black people were better off with slavery because he compares working in a factory with slavery, but at least with *actual* slavery they could work outdoors!!

This is not much difference between chattel slavery and economic wage slavery. One of the key differences is that in economic wage slavery the owner of the factory has even less of an imperative to protect the lives of his workers because they are all easily replaceable for little to no cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heath posted:

the paternalistic tumblr shut-in logic being present in a novel from the 60s is almost chilling

that is exactly what i was thinking when reading it. good book, but dang. i guess a lot of things just don't change after all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hobohemian posted:

This is not much difference between chattel slavery and economic wage slavery. One of the key differences is that in economic wage slavery the owner of the factory has even less of an imperative to protect the lives of his workers because they are all easily replaceable for little to no cost.

actually they get a deece wage in this situation! ignatius just tells them that they're being oppressed because deep down he considers himself to be smarter than them, and that they need an educated white guy to tell them about it.

(and of course for even more lulz, he has never worked an honest day in his life)

i know this is completely ignoring what you were going for but heck, this ain't old gbs and i don't really care to seriously discuss that topic in a thread for an ownage book

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 11, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

the paternalistic tumblr shut-in logic being present in a novel from the 60s is almost chilling

whoa another GBS goon with an encyclopedic knowledge of Tumblr and an inability to not make every single thread about it???

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Infinite Jest, is it anything like?

no. they're both excellent books, but confederacy of dunces is way better and much funnier, imo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
MYRNA FORM PEACE PARTY CENTRAL COMMITTEE NORTHEAST ZONE AT ONCE STOP ORGANIZE AT EVERY LEVEL STOP RECRUIT SODOMITES ONLY STOP SEX IN POLITICS STOP DETAILS WILL FOLLOW STOP IGNATIUS NATIONAL CHAIRMAN STOP

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Srice posted:

actually they get a deece wage in this situation! ignatius just tells them that they're being oppressed because deep down he considers himself to be smarter than them, and that they need an educated white guy to tell them about it.

(and of course for even more lulz, he has never worked an honest day in his life)

quoting for unintentionally describing hobohemian and his comrades

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

...of SCIENCE! posted:

whoa another GBS goon with an encyclopedic knowledge of Tumblr and an inability to not make every single thread about it???

this is a single thread and the entire point of the book is that the main character is a reprehensible piece of poo poo social leech with lovely ideas about race and social justice in spite of the fact that he never leaves his room until his mother forces him to, so i'm not sure what your complaint is??

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

Reading is for fags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Read it many years ago, I wanted to c/p some funny bits so I just got it as an ebook and holy poo poo its even better than I remembered. Ignatius and Myrna Minkoff are such perfect amalgams of horrible blogger stereotypes that they seem anachronistic.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its my fav book no joke

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RevSyd posted:

Read it many years ago, I wanted to c/p some funny bits so I just got it as an ebook and holy poo poo its even better than I remembered. Ignatius and Myrna Minkoff are such perfect amalgams of horrible blogger stereotypes that they seem anachronistic.

my fave moment with myrna is that she is filming a pro-interracial marriage thing and she gets upset when the black woman she hired doesn't want to work for free and walks off, and myrna's all "well, i guess she just doesn't believe in that cause!"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ignatius' entire rationale for starting a worker revolt is just so he can prove to her how much more revolutionary he is than her

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

it's a good book but it has that 70's comedy movie mentality where everything works out for the best in the end even though the characters are all horrible gently caress ups who should be dead

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

gigawhite posted:

it's a good book but it has that 70's comedy movie mentality where everything works out for the best in the end even though the characters are all horrible gently caress ups who should be dead

the book was never finished because the author killed himself

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Emanuel Collective posted:

the book was never finished because the author killed himself

no, the book was finished. he committed suicide like 4 years after writing it and no one would publish it

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

The Belgian posted:

I'm about halfway through it myself. So far its been very good & funny. Let's share our thoughts and discuss the book here.

i'll wait till the second movie comes out to form an opinion

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Srice posted:

my fave moment with myrna is that she is filming a pro-interracial marriage thing and she gets upset when the black woman she hired doesn't want to work for free and walks off, and myrna's all "well, i guess she just doesn't believe in that cause!"
Straight out of Tumblr

quote:

Her logic was a combination of half-truths and clichés, her worldview a compound of misconceptions deriving from a history of our nation as written from the perspective of a subway tunnel. She dug into her large black valise and assaulted me (almost literally) with greasy copies of Men and Masses and Now! and Broken Barricades and Surge and Revulsion and various manifestos and pamphlets pertaining to organizations of which she was a most active member: Students for Liberty, Youth for Sex, The Black Muslims, Friends of Latvia, Children for Miscegenation, The White Citizens’ Councils. Myrna was, you see, terribly engaged in her society

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
problematic imo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
meanwhile, on goodreads, people miss the point http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/310612.A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

quote:

Nathan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who think unreasonable whining is funny.
Shelves: books-i-hope-die, fiction
I know I'm out on my own on this one, but I detest this book. I really think it glorifies whining to an extent never before seen in the human condition. Everyone I know loves this book, and I know I am in a minority here. But Christ... That this book is so popular with people in my age bracket and not so popular with people older or younger really makes me wonder if it is part of the problem or a reflection of the boring, whiny apathy of my generation. But if this book has any redeemable aspects at all, it is that it highlights just how lazy and worthless my generation is. It's reflected in the reverence people my age give this book, a book whose central lesson seems to be "whining is funny, and doing things is bad". For dark, astounding irony about inaction and the parodoxes of a corrupt society, read Catch-22 or some of the more comical writers of astroyphysics tomes. Confederacy of Dunces is the Forrest Gump of literature and I'd like to never have another conversation about this book as long as I live.

quote:

Gregory rated it 1 of 5 stars · review of another edition
Recommends it for: my enemies if I had any.
This so-called "farce" and "classic" was more frustrating to me than entertaining. I dislike leaving a book unfinished and the only reason I continued to read it was the hope that my effort would get paid off in the end. Alas, no such reward awaited me. This further cemented my belief that the only reason classics are called so is because some committee agreed and the public thought the committee must be right. I'm afraid my lingering disillusion with this book prevents my ability to form any more specific of an analysis. I cannot even remember the name of the one character I halfway liked in the entire book. 50 million Elvis fans can indeed be wrong.

I love when the people who rate the book low write their reviews in the same overblown ridiculous way that Ignatius himself does

quote:

Szplug rated it 1 of 5 stars · review of another edition
The story of Toole, and the novel by which he apparently vented the demons that lurked within his existentially unhale self, is a sad one, and that foreknowledge endows A Confederacy of Dunces with a patina of melancholy before the first page is turned; a lacquer directly at odds with the immensely high expectations and consequent eagerness I brought into its reading due to the superlatives I had discovered ere I opted to take the plunge: most prevalent, its status as being rife with hilarity and having posthumously earned Toole the Pulitzer. So it may be that my own mental state wasn't configured for the proper appreciation of this sour brew of absurd, misanthropic humor, but I pretty much disliked it from the outset. An author who hates through his creations needs the darkly comic graces of a Céline, or convictions of a Bernhard, or striations of a Houellebecq; whereas Toole, in my opinion, managed to drain these daffy people of any ballasts sufficient to counter the (self-)loathing passed down from author through pen and pushing them all to irritating extremes. It just sounded all of the wrong notes for me. Indeed, I pitched it and moved on to greener (and funnier) pastures before the halfway mark, a deed which, at that time in my life—and so long ago that I can barely recall any specifics of what took place—was simply unheard of. But that, alas, is how it transpired. You would think that a splenetic outing with a crew of misfits and morons possessed the potential for delivering a pot of gold, but this southern-flavored Confederacy turned out for me to be naught but an ugly crock of who-gives-a-poo poo?

I am tempted to take it up again one of these days, that I could determine whether an abundance of books and years under my belt may have inclined me to chortle and marvel at what previously had induced mostly pursed lips and impatient grunts—but then there are all of these one and two star reviews, by people whose opinions I respect and value, lending weighty support to my more potent determination that life is simply too short, and there are far too many books, to give up the time required for that particular Toolean experiment. Yet, on the other hand, there exists a greater number of GR friends or familiars who exuberantly loved this book, thought it was fantastic, forged connexions with one, some, or all of the characters and situations, Toole's ironic jiggling of life's antennae and slippery dispensations of a hob-nailed boot—and then I'm left puzzled inside at my own inability to appreciate what just simply worked for so many others. It's a conundrum, is what it is—and one that, knowing myself as I do, will likely be resolved in favor of apathy—for this book still needles me at times when I detect its lonely, dusty presence up upon a distant corner shelf, and gets me to pondering Was I wrong?...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

That last one has to be a joke

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I already read gbs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

That last one has to be a joke

I'm really not sure because you tend to find reviews of roughly that caliber all over Goodreads on pretty much any book. Any Harry Potter book will have them buried in there somewhere

edit: all the 1 star reviews are gold. I think this book is kind of a litmus test, kind of like how they say "if you don't have a friend like this, you probably are that friend." if you don't get Ignatius, you probably are Ignatius.

quote:

Terry rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: abandoned, southern-literary-trail
Ok, I was almost able to push myself to the 50% point and I just can’t go any further. I have too many other books to read to spend any more time on this one. I’m sorry…I know, it’s apparently a classic, but for the life of me, aside from the tragic circumstances around its publication, I can’t for the life of me see why.

Ignatius Reilly is an rear end in a top hat, by design I know, but even the humour he supposedly spouts is little more than chuckle-inducing for me. I don’t even believe that Ignatius is much of a medievalist…aside from a misguided love for Boethius he really doesn’t seem to know very much about the Middle Ages except in a very superficial way (his writings which we are given glimpses of are the most puerile crap imaginable). Add to that the fact that all of the other characters are completely uninteresting to me and I cannot gather sufficient reason to continue with this. His mother and Patrolman Mancuso are feckless pushovers and all of the other ‘colourful’ characters just don’t do it for me. They might work as characters in a sitcom, but that’s about all I can credit them for. Maybe I just can’t appreciate the unique Nawlins’ style, I don’t know. (Is it just me or is no one in the book able to “say” anything, everyone appears to “scream” instead…a nit, but one that annoyed me every time I noticed it.)

I’ll just have to mark this one as abandoned. Maybe some other day I will be able to take this for what it was meant to be. That day is not today.

Heath fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
This thread is closing my pyloric valve

• Locked thread