Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

DUMBASS REDDITORS posted:

Games like LoL which don't require time

Does this guy... does this guy play League of Legends?

Because League of Legends has one of the most ridiculous grinds inherent I've ever seen. 6300 IP per Champion, and you get around 100 IP per win, something like 70 IP per loss. It kind of takes something in the ballpark of like 80 games to unlock a new Champion? And this isn't even getting into the point of runes and rune pages which offer a dramatic advantage in the early game and allow for more heavy, aggressive playstyles.

Hell, I stopped playing League of Legends because I specifically wasn't a fan of setting aside a potential hour for something that could have been a lovely crawling loss of a game. But yeah it doesn't require time!

lmao how the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Bauxite posted:

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that you shouldn't expect anything out of anyone just because you helped them in a video game. Getting angry because people don't meet your expectations accomplishes nothing but to alienate you from everyone else. You've gone raiding with this group of people maybe twice. Unless it's super easy content that a significant portion of the group has already done seperately, you aren't going to win fights right out the gate. It takes time for people to learn both the bosses and their role in this specific group of people, and if you're unwilling to give people that time then you're the one that doesn't fit, not them.

This has nothing to do with how good or bad people are in video games, and has everything to do with how people are people, not robots that do precisely what you tell them and meet all of your expectations. Social skills are a much more important part of raiding than individual player skill.
Just had to quote this. No matter what level of progression you think you have earned in this broken rear end game, you don't have the right to act like a turd to people. It just gnaws at your player base and drives them away, as if the crushing bugs and lack of end game with wintraded pvp didn't already.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

tezcat posted:

Just had to quote this. No matter what level of progression you think you have earned in this broken rear end game, you don't have the right to act like a turd to people. It just gnaws at your player base and drives them away, as if the crushing bugs and lack of end game with wintraded pvp didn't already.

Yeah, I'm not even in that guild but queueing up with hateful spitelords for a fun 4 hours of raiding sounds absolutely miserable.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

Is this what happens if you raid with semi-strangers you only know on the internet? I've only really raided with a core group of people I still wanted to interact with outside of video games so maybe I was a bit naive going into this, both in terms of tone used to correct mistakes and how soon you should get mad at people for not killing a boss.

This is an unexpected amount of hostility flying about.

Goons are secretly the most autistic and/or biggest poopsockers in any MMO. :ssh:

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 13, 2014

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
from reading the last few pages, looks like things are going grandly in wildstar. :munch:

vvv: actually eldercain, my server first (:smuggo:) naxxramus clearing wow guild had a strict no fun policy furthermore

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 13, 2014

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
It's not hard! Just be nice to people! Take your frustration out on something that isn't a person!

Fun and good times raids are more fun and productive than angry lovely raids. I remember wiping repeatedly to Leotheris and still having shitloads of fun just dicking around in vent.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I only bought this game last week but after reading this thread I don't want to play it ever

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Syrinxx posted:

I only bought this game last week but after reading this thread I don't want to play it ever
Do play it, but not with any of the shitlords ITT.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Syrinxx posted:

This feeling never goes away.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
I unfortunately couldn't play for 3 days and I missed swinging my space sword. I think this game is cool. If you think it's cool too then we should all just be cool and click buttons together. If you don't like it then stop playing you dum-dum. Come back a few patches later and see if the water is nice.

Or not. You dum-dums.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syrinxx posted:

It's a pretty great game, don't let idiots ruin it for you

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Love the lore, the aesthetic and the gameplay. Hate gated content, rep grinds, and a dev team that introduces game breaking bugs like that's their loving job.

Though I'm starting to see a pattern emerge. All of the guys who were brilliant yet dysfunctional/required constant supervision quit the WoW dev team to build wildstar. All of the QA guys stayed and continued to build WoW, which is why WoW is boring but stable and Wildstar is brilliant but falling apart.

Salmanilla
Dec 21, 2012

ahy ess dee eph posted:

I wish you the best of luck, but you guys seem to be stuck in this eternal loop of blame-shifting. It's only a matter of time before you guys give up and go back to your roots of trolling Zone chat in a vain attempt to relive your Rift days.

It's no wonder all your solid players left and / or transferred servers.

Who are you in game? Frankly, those solid players (3) all got their attunement status finished and left with multiple level 50s about the same time I started doing silver adventures with my only 50. So, rather than staying to help us learn the dungeons they just jumped ship before anyone else was at that point in the game, so yeah, we are still lagging behind because people are finally learning what they need to do by themselves.

Salmanilla fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 13, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Salmanilla posted:

Who are you in game? Frankly, those solid players (3) all got their attunement status finished and left with multiple level 50s about the same time I started doing silver adventures with my only 50. So, rather than staying to help us learn the dungeons they just jumped ship before anyone else was at that point in the game, so yeah, we are still lagging behind because people are finally learning what they need to do by themselves.

I guess fare thee well, you will not be missed. :frogout:

It's like... attunements.txt

ahy ess dee eph
Mar 10, 2007

Salmanilla posted:

I guess fare thee well, you will not be missed. :frogout:

Vune / Vectorman

Stayed around for about a month to try and help Sterling and them put together a Raid Group. For those that were in the PGI - Raiding Circle, Sterling and I were the ones who created / recruited for that circle to try and get things kickstarted a little bit quicker.

Last I heard was that most of those cats are jumping ship to join SurveyCorps anyway.

That reminds me, someone say goodbye to Morden and DrMoreaubot for me -- They're good dudes.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010
So my problem with the raid attunement change is more from a design perspective. The dungeon step was the least bullshit aspect (vs grinding, farming world bosses) and I felt served as an appropriate intermediary step between gearing up in vets and doing the raid content. Obviously there were a lot of complaints from the bad players, moreso before the nerfs, but they would've brickwalled on X89/trash anyway. Similarly, there is a large gap from GA to DS, which results in a large number of players giving up in lack of progress, which is being addressed this next drop. I don't give a poo poo that others have an easier ride to attunement (especially considering we made thousands of plat selling carries), but I definitely think it'd be better for the game if the process were a smooth increase in difficulty.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Styrka posted:

So my problem with the raid attunement change is more from a design perspective. The dungeon step was the least bullshit aspect (vs grinding, farming world bosses) and I felt served as an appropriate intermediary step between gearing up in vets and doing the raid content. Obviously there were a lot of complaints from the bad players, moreso before the nerfs, but they would've brickwalled on X89/trash anyway. Similarly, there is a large gap from GA to DS, which results in a large number of players giving up in lack of progress, which is being addressed this next drop. I don't give a poo poo that others have an easier ride to attunement (especially considering we made thousands of plat selling carries), but I definitely think it'd be better for the game if the process were a smooth increase in difficulty.

This is something that only people who already have silver dungeons say. I don't have them done not because I'm terrible; the only one I don't have we oneshot all the bosses but stopped for explanations. I just simply don't have time to sit down and possibly reset a dungeon a couple times at whatever arbitrary time a group forms. I have a life. I can do all the stupid not standing in poo poo poo poo, but I don't have hours and hours to grind at it. With a schedule like raids typically have, I could.

And time trialing something just isn't the same as killing it. I would love to see some statistical correlation to silvering a dungeon legit and not being a wiping fuckhead or whatever people think, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those handwavey arguements people like to make to feel better about what they've done that gently caress casuals haven't.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Eldercain posted:

This is something that only people who already have silver dungeons say. I don't have them done not because I'm terrible; the only one I don't have we oneshot all the bosses but stopped for explanations. I just simply don't have time to sit down and possibly reset a dungeon a couple times at whatever arbitrary time a group forms. I have a life. I can do all the stupid not standing in poo poo poo poo, but I don't have hours and hours to grind at it. With a schedule like raids typically have, I could.

And time trialing something just isn't the same as killing it. I would love to see some statistical correlation to silvering a dungeon legit and not being a wiping fuckhead or whatever people think, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those handwavey arguements people like to make to feel better about what they've done that gently caress casuals haven't.

There were no illusions about what this game's PVE endgame would look like. Carbine was open about its raiding philosophy throughout development and the attunement flowchart was floating around the internet before release. Regardless of the validity of your complaints, the current situation is intentional. So I suggest you and others like you stop paying money to play a game you don't enjoy anymore. Vote with your wallets and your decision to keep playing and maybe you'll get a more accessible game in the future. Otherwise, you should have known what you were getting into.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

folgore posted:

There were no illusions about what this game's PVE endgame would look like. Carbine was open about its raiding philosophy throughout development and the attunement flowchart was floating around the internet before release. Regardless of the validity of your complaints, the current situation is intentional. So I suggest you and others like you stop paying money to play a game you don't enjoy anymore. Vote with your wallets and your decision to keep playing and maybe you'll get a more accessible game in the future. Otherwise, you should have known what you were getting into.
Judging by the way the devs are responding to the hemorrhaging player numbers, that game may be this one real soon :)

Because apparently catering to lovely players who encourage toxic communities dosen't bring the subscriptions they want, who knew?

tezcat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 13, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't usually tackle world bosses but I got in on a battle and when we finally got it down to a sliver of life it disappeared. Poof! Is that normal?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

folgore posted:

Where did you copy this post from?

It's as if some people cannot grasp that a fallen drink, a phone call, a crying child, a disconnect, a knock on the door, or any number of interruptions in life should not force someone and the four other people with him or her to redo a thing that requires a significant time investment.

It's not about the time trial so much as it is about the length of the time trial and its narrow margins for error. Get this through your drat thick heads, for gently caress's sake.

e: I main an Engineer. I've got most of the best in slot items. I'm pretty well runed, sitting at just shy of 1800 AP with a crafted gun (thanks, Sintor). And I am not doing dungeons because my internet is somewhat unstable. I do not want to cause hours of lost time for others because I get loving disconnected or lag spiked, which has happened rather frequently in other instanced content.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 13, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Picked up a guest pass from my friend, I have no idea what I want to do. I've always been a shooter kind of dude so I'm moderately out of my element, I've only ever dabbled in MMOs.

What do? I'm trying to play a Cassian Engineer at the moment because I was told the class was very solo-friendly and I like the idea of having companions, but I've yet to try anything else.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010
I think the point that is trying to be made is that these dungeon requirements are, again, an introductory step to raiding. If you can't make these time limits, now much more generous, you will probably also have a difficult time making consistent 10-12m pulls in raids.

Eldercain posted:

I just simply don't have time to sit down and possibly reset a dungeon a couple times at whatever arbitrary time a group forms. I have a life. I can do all the stupid not standing in poo poo poo poo, but I don't have hours and hours to grind at it. With a schedule like raids typically have, I could.

In a standard casual 4h/3 night raid schedule, you could easily do dungeons in a week. If you don't have that time, you obviously don't need to attune for raids you won't be doing. Given you won't raid, if you don't have the time to work on silver dungeons, then you're already at your PvE endgame for what your life can avail you.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Styrka posted:

In a standard casual 4h/3 night raid schedule, you could easily do dungeons in a week. If you don't have that time, you obviously don't need to attune for raids you won't be doing. Given you won't raid, if you don't have the time to work on silver dungeons, then you're already at your PvE endgame for what your life can avail you.
And the devs are trying to fix that because while they were stupid enough to think like that at first, they (like most game devs before them that had that same idiotic logic) see you can't sustain a game like that.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010
And I could see that as being a reasonable option to consider, but they're not doing that; they're making the dungeon step easier. More attuned people won't matter if they can't realistically contribute to a raid, and until these stupid devs figure out a way to fix that, not much changes.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Well I finished my silver dungeons with a pug Stormtalon. I still maintain attunements are a dumb idea that only make it harder for guilds to maintain a stable raid roster and I'm not convinced any sort of "basic learning" obtained from them is worth that.

Any checks and learning provided by attunement could be equally easily done with boss-specific enrage timers or baked into the raid's trash pulls or minibosses. The difference with that though is that you would actually feel like you're doing the content (even if it is just trash) and I think that's a difference that matters with regard of making sure that those same people will be there on the next raid night.

I can admit though that the process certainly would have been significantly easier for Goon Squad if we had done some amount of organized scheduling like committing the first few raid nights into getting people attuned or something.

AtmaTheWanderer
Nov 6, 2003
FFXI Mithra Mangina
Pillbug

Evil_Greven posted:

e: I main an Engineer. I've got most of the best in slot items. I'm pretty well runed, sitting at just shy of 1800 AP with a crafted gun (thanks, Sintor). And I am not doing dungeons because my internet is somewhat unstable. I do not want to cause hours of lost time for others because I get loving disconnected or lag spiked, which has happened rather frequently in other instanced content.

Truth. This guy isn't some terrible bad like you assume. He is consistently top DPS in any content we roll with where he's not afraid a single lag spike will ruin people's night.

quote:

This is nothing. This is only the beginning.

This game is hemorrhaging subs. It's blindly obvious just from running around capital cities. The vast majority of people who are still on are the ultra-casuals who haven't even gotten to 50 yet. Numerous "world-fist" guilds are bitching they cannot maintain enough loving actives to even raid. There's what, 1 guild that can even enter the 40 man on a good night? gently caress, some of them are even recruiting level 1s and offering to attune them if they can make it from 1-50 in 3 days.

We all knew it was going to be hard. We all knew it would be challenging. What was NOT advertised was that it was going to be dull, boring, and tedious, and that the developers were not going to learn from the mistakes of over 15 years of ongoing MMO "lessons learned" documentation. Game-breaking or class-breaking bugs introduced with patches. Sweepingly overpowered and underpowered classes. Exploits to cheese dungeons not fixed from beta. Monetary exploits known in BETA that were not addressed FOR WEEKS INTO LIVE. Tank classes that CANNOT TANK, who are told their fixes "might make drop 3. 4 for sure.", at least until they exploded with rage. BIS gear coming from overcharged level 49 crafting blues because the math behind the stat system is terrible. Absolutely *ZERO* incentive to run dungeons after completion, because every piece of gear you have is better than every possible reward.

No, good sir. Carbine has literally poo poo the bed in every single possible sense imaginable, and they need to start formulating a bail-out strategy pronto. Step 1 to this game surviving the F2Pocalypse is finding a way to get a healthy portion of the level 50 population at least INTO the raids. If you can't realize why 90-95% of the population being unable to access endgame content is a terrible loving state for any MMO to be in, especially with WoD charging at it like a 10 ton juggernaut, then you can enjoy being the king shitlord of a F2P empire of dust. If you're a loving hardcore like you profess, you should be stepping up and backing this change with every fiber of your being, because let me tell you a little secret.

Carbine made the decision to get in bed with NCSoft. NCSoft doesn't give a poo poo about your "hardcore" content. They don't give a poo poo whether hardcores are happy or filthy casuals are happy. They care about one thing - Extracting as much cash money as they can from your and my wallet before we collectively burn out and quit. No one in the world gives a gently caress about world firsts in a F2P game, and the minute this game goes F2P, you can consider the "hardcore raiding" scene dead. And I'm not talking about in Wildstar. I'm talking about in MMOs, period. Because "The Devs are Listening", and I'm not talking about the ones from Wildstar. If a Triple-A MMO title that's entire niche was "hardcore raiding content" crashes and burns BECAUSE OF ITS RAIDING CONTENT, do you think ANY game studio with the resources to make a triple-A MMO title is ever going to dumb enough to walk that path again? No. They're going to design their raids for 10-man and 20-man, apply some HP and damage multiplier, call them "mythic" or "heroic" or "legendary" or some other stupid moniker, and laugh their way to the bank.

TL;DR: Support the casuals. Carbine hosed up everything imaginable, and needs to un-gently caress poo poo and get people into raids to keep people interested. We're the reason your game continues to exist and doesn't become another NCSoft F2P Cash Shop. Meido outfit cash shop coming in Drop 4.

AtmaTheWanderer fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 13, 2014

Mark Blockhead
Nov 7, 2012
Carbine made the mistake of equating xXxHaRdCoReXxX players' whining over welfare epics with them having the numbers to sustain a AAA mmo. Which they do not, plain and simple. WoW's hardcore raiders enjoyed content paid for by legions of casuals. That's how it always goes.

Carbine's terrible QA and ludicrously incompetent balance and itemization, not to mention utter travesty of a pvp team, are all more pressing problems, but they're wallpaper over a fundamentally wrong idea that has been driving design. It is clear that carbine as a studio is not qualified to make an MMO; they are fantastic content designers, but that's it. Without balance devs and competent QA and CS, content is not enough to keep people playing. This is one part of a studio acting like a whole studio.

Styrka
Jul 18, 2010
I'm enjoying the content they have, but that's certainly an opinion that won't be shared by everyone. And I definitely agree that 40 mans, while a fun concept, just does't work well anymore, especially given the current sub counts. We've had conversations with the raid devs on our nights of running with 36-38 people and they said they've got a good 4+ raids planned and in development ambiguous to size so if 40 doesn't last then they'll be 20 (or less if they decide that'll be a thing).

At the moment I think the game is giving as much as it will to all player types, and is up to them to decide if that's enough for a sub. I just have to hope the income from those who think it is is enough to maintain the game sans f2p.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Asema posted:

It's a pretty great game, don't let idiots ruin it for you

I don't think he can stop Carbine from making new patches.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
I'm checking in as someone still enjoying the game overall.

I had a blast today helping other GS members attune for their various steps. I'm busy runeing my gear for both healing and DPS, so I still have a feel of progress though I've been locked at silver dungeons.

I'll keep a sub until the game gets too boring to play or GS becomes intolerable to be in. Most of the people I see on frequently are really chill people who I've had nothing but positive experiences playing with. Don't let this thread scare you off from GS.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Styrka posted:

I think the point that is trying to be made is that these dungeon requirements are, again, an introductory step to raiding. If you can't make these time limits, now much more generous, you will probably also have a difficult time making consistent 10-12m pulls in raids.

What kind of casual raid does 4 hours at a stretch, let alone 3 nights a week? If that's what you think casual raiders do, you seriously need to reexamine your perceptions.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Can't say much regarding specifics just yet, but what I can say is that the past few weeks have involved a lot of talks both for improving the beginning experience and for making improvements at max level. The itemization and attunement changes discussed today are just part of the package. Some of the changes may not be immediate (as we'd like to, y'know, test things. We're not happy about bugs on live any more than you folks are) but we're definitely listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Lockin this poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657496

• Locked thread